Research Question of the Week: How to Optimize Fat Efficiency in the Diet - Page 3 - ABCbodybuilding

Go Back   ABCbodybuilding > Scientist Department > HYPERplasia Research

Notices

Old 11-07-2005, 06:49 PM
Venom is training, researching, or talking on ABC
Vice President Abcbodybuilding.com

Default Re: Research Question of the Week: How to Optimize Fat Efficiency in the Diet

[ QUOTE ]

Would eating medium chain TGs actually inhibit to a certain degree your body's ability to burn fat it has stored? Or would it speed this up a bit?
I'm thinking, if your diet contains these fats that are more quickly oxidized, will your body use these up first (not taking into account carb oxidation), then call on fat stores for energy?

[/ QUOTE ]

It would speed it up for sure. As stated in the original post, one of the destinations of fats are to be stored themselves when digested. Having MCT’s decreases this probability, shifting the metabolism of fats towards its anabolic functions such as increasing diet induced thermogenesis and perhaps the production of anabolic hormones!

[ QUOTE ]

I would be interested to see an article that talks about the mechanism fat stores in the body are broken down for energy. At what point do they get tapped into?

[/ QUOTE ]

There are two factors to consider here: nutrient partitioning and total calories metabolized.

Nutrient Partitioning can be defined as the distribution of ingested nutrients among basal metabolism, growth, tissue maintenance and repair, physical activity, and other forms of energy expenditure and nutrient storage. The goal is to partition nutrients away from fat storage, and towards other vital functions such as replenishment of glycogen stores (which is the storage form of glucose, and the predominant source of energy used during high intensity exercise, such as weight lifting).

One of the most effective ways to do this is manipulation of the hormone insulin. Insulin is a hormone released from the beta cells in the islets of Langerhans of the pancreas. Its primary secretagogue (anything that stimulates the release of a hormone) is glucose. A primary importance of carbs is therefore, to manipulate this hormone.

Insulin has numerous anabolic effects such as increasing protein synthesis and glycogen replenishment. However, insulin also spares fat from being utilized as fuel, and chronic production of this hormone can increase de-nova lypogenic enzymes, increasing the probability of converting carbohydrates to fat for storage. Thus, it is important to use various methods to enhance insulin sensitivity.

What is important to understand is that chronic release of a hormone will promote down regulation. Receptors exposed to hormones to unphysiologically high concentrations, or for long periods of time, are down regulated (become less available for hormone action). Thus, by constantly having high Gi carbs for instance, insulin will be constantly released, causing down regulation.

One of the best ways to enhance insulin sensitivity is through exercise. Omega 3 fatty acids have also been shown to enhance insulin sensitivity, as well as dietary fiber.

Knowing the actions of insulin, this is why some people opt for carb cycling when they diet.

And there are numerous other ways you can manipulate your diet so that you minimize fat storage of ingested nutrients, such as having MCT’s.

Exercise is one of the most effective ways to manipulate this. Here is a quote from the current issue of JHR from Wilson (2005) The Growth Hormone – IGF Axis and its Role in Muscular Hypertrophy

[ QUOTE ]
In summary, during catabolic states, when muscles are taxed the body adapts by lowering IGF-1 levels, while local IGF-1 levels in the trained musculature increase. This creates systemic catabolism, while maintaining the possibility for local anabolism. Theintz (1993) suggests that this attenuates somatic growth while maintaining muscular adaptation during states of caloric restriction. These hormonal adaptations have been seen in both female gymnasts and wrestlers who enter states of catabolism during weight loss periods, while still maintaining or adding musculature in the trained regions (Jahreis et al., 1991, Roemmich and Sinning, 1997, Elokim et al., 2005). Finally, it also explains partially why periods of overfeeding facilitate a more whole body anabolic environment conducive to size increases.

[/ QUOTE ]

Therefore, by manipulating nutrient partitioning techniques, you can add muscle, and lose fat at the same time! The competitors of the HYPERplasia challenge are living proof of this.

Next, you obviously will need to metabolize calories. There are 3 primary avenues for this: Diet Induced Thermogenesis (DIT), Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR), and Exercise.

The president and I plan on writing an extensive article on DIT for the upcoming issue of JHR. But typically, this accounts for 10% of the calories you metabolize. DIT is the increase in the amount of calories metabolized caused by eating foods. This is entirely dependent on the type of foods you eat.

BMR is the basic energy requirements needed to maintain vital organs such as the liver and kidney, as well as muscles, which can obviously be manipulated and will greatly increase your BMR. Typically, this accounts for 65% of daily oxidative metabolism. So it is absolutely vital to maintain it. Dieting tends to decreases it, so this is why people utilize various methods such as carb cycling and calorie cycling.

The last one is exercise, and the amount of calories you metabolize through this avenue can obviously vary.

If you want to optimize the amount of calories you metabolize from fat during exercise, evidence suggests training at 65% of your VO2 max will metabolize the highest total amount of fat. For more information on this, read these articles by Wilson and Wilson (2005):

Fast Acting Hormones and their Role in Fuel use during Exercise

Slow Acting Hormones and their Role in Fuel use during Exercise

Analysis of Nutrient use during Low, Moderate, and High Intensity Exercise

Direct Comparisons of Fuel use during Low, Moderate, and High Intensity Exercises

Here.
Co-Editor. of JHR

Venom@abcbodybuilding.com
Bible Studies
Click Here to Support the Future of Bodybuilding!

Matthew 7:20
And Jesus said unto them, Because of your unbelief: for verily I say unto you, If ye have faith as a grain of mustard seed, ye shall say unto this mountain, Remove hence to yonder place; and it shall remove; and nothing shall be impossible unto you.
Old 11-07-2005, 07:44 PM
TheShanMan should change his/her status!
Light-Heavyweight

Default Re: Research Question of the Week: How to Optimize Fat Efficiency in the Diet

[ QUOTE ]
Wilson, G (2003) covered polyunsaturated fats extensively in his EFA article.

[/ QUOTE ]
I got a good chuckle when I read how you referred to yourself as "Wilson, G" and "his" here. [img]/forum/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 11-07-2005, 08:10 PM

haha, I enjoyed writing that. [img]/forum/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Co-Editor. of JHR

Bible Studies

And Jesus said unto them, Because of your unbelief: for verily I say unto you, If ye have faith as a grain of mustard seed, ye shall say unto this mountain, Remove hence to yonder place; and it shall remove; and nothing shall be impossible unto you.
Old 11-08-2005, 05:32 AM
psaturn should change his/her status!
Super-Heavyweight

I have a link with coconut oil used for control of obesity:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/q...&dopt=Citation

1: Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord. 1998 Oct;22(10):974-9. Related Articles, Links

Energy restriction with high-fat diet enriched with coconut oil gives higher UCP1 and lower white fat in rats.

Portillo MP, Serra F, Simon E, del Barrio AS, Palou A.

Nutrition and Food Science, University of Basc Country, Vitoria, Spain.

OBJECTIVE: To investigate the effects of overfeeding on a high fat diet, enriched in coconut oil, and the influence of food restriction on the uncoupling protein (UCP1) expression and on body fat content. DESIGN AND SUBJECTS: In experiment I, female Wistar rats were fed ad libitum either a normal-fat diet (control group, C) or a high-fat diet (HF), enriched in coconut oil, for 7 weeks. In experiment II, HF rats after finishing experiment I were fed (for 3 weeks) either the normal-fat diet (group CAHF, Control After High Fat) or food restricted diets which provided 60% of the energy intake of group CAHF: a group fed a low-energy, normal-fat diet (LENF) and another fed a low-energy, high-fat diet (LEHF). MEASUREMENTS: Body and fatty depot weights. Food intake. Protein and UCP1 levels of interscapular brown adipose tissue. RESULTS: High-fat diet feeding promoted an increase in body fat content, body weight and UCP1 levels. Energy restriction induced similar body weight reduction in groups LENF and LEHF. However, some adipose depots were more strongly reduced in the rats fed the high-fat diet enriched in coconut oil (group LEHF) than in the rats fed the normal-fat diet (Group LENF). Specific UCP1 was 2.0 (group LENF) and 3.4 (group LEHF) times higher than in controls (group CAHF). CONCLUSION: The coconut-oil enriched diet is effective in stimulating UCP1 expression during ad libitum feeding and in preventing its down regulation during food restriction, and this goes hand in hand with a decrease of the white fat stores.
(Joh 3:16) Porque de tal manera amó Dios al mundo, que ha dado a su Hijo Unigénito, para que todo aquel que en él cree, no se pierda, mas tenga vida eterna.
Old 11-09-2005, 04:34 AM
Grimm932 should change his/her status!
Middleweight

thanks so much for your response Venom, I appreciate you taking time to share your knowledge. Some follow up questions regarding the coconut oil:

Is there any specific brand of coconut oil you recommend? I have noticed some are classified "virgin" and some "extra-virgin". Does it matter which one I take? Also would I consume coconut oil in one of my protein/fat meals (towards the end of the day) substuiting another fat source (such as walnuts or flax oil) with the coconut oil? Or would I have have it earlier in the day in one of my protien/carb meals and replace brown rice or oats with the coconut oil? Also, should I just consume it by itself (like flax oil) or can I actually use it to cook/bake/etc.? Also does coconut milk offer the same benifits as the oil? Sorry for the barrage of questions and thanks again for your help.

OldSchool, I would really like to hear about your experiences with adding sources of saturated fats in your diet. What specific sources (and what amounts) did you use? What benefits did you feel it provided to your bulk? And also I would love to hear what other information and knowledge you posses regarding this topic. thanks a lot!
Old 11-09-2005, 05:01 AM
book should change his/her status!
Heavyweight

I was re-reading the original post and just though of 2 more questions

1) A lot of the studies showed how a lower fat intake (such as going from 40% to 20% of total calories comming from fat) had a lower amount of anabolic hormones. So, generally, do you think fats could be upped to as much as 25-35%?

2) When steak was mentioned I thought of how back in the day Arnold and all those bodybuilders were still eating high fat cuts of red meat and plenty of whole eggs. Are these natural sources mainly constituted of MC triglyceride type saturated fats? and junk food like Mcdonalds comprised of longer chain fats?
Old 11-09-2005, 08:54 PM
stillflabby should change his/her status!
Heavyweight

thank you very much for the post Venom.

that cleared things up a lot for me. I haven't read the suggested reading yet, but it's in the queue.

All this will help me better understand what and why I'm doing things to burn fat...and I've got a lot to burn.

I ordered a set of calipers today to help me keep track of progress.

My Journal
Old 11-09-2005, 11:49 PM
littleamazon is praying and loving in action, word, deed and thought by the Grace of God
National Champion

Ok...you guys are awesome!
I have no clue what else to say.

Amazon

- St. Dominic Savio (1842-1857)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v9...n/Mercy50K.jpg
We must pray without tiring, for the salvation of mankind does not depend on material success, nor on sciences that cloud the intellect. Neither does it depend on arms and human industries, but on Jesus alone.

- St. Frances Xavier Cabrini (1850-1917)
Old 11-10-2005, 02:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Ok...you guys are awesome!
I have no clue what else to say.

Amazon

[/ QUOTE ]

Indeed, I am THRILLED with your guy’s feedback! You guys are developing into great scientists. [img]/forum/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Great article, Psaturn, thank you. [img]/forum/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Hi, Grimm

[ QUOTE ]

Is there any specific brand of coconut oil you recommend?

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope, either one should be fine. But I am still investigating all the sources we can get this from.

[ QUOTE ]
Also would I consume coconut oil in one of my protein/fat meals (towards the end of the day) substuiting another fat source (such as walnuts or flax oil) with the coconut oil

[/ QUOTE ]

That is what I would do. Just make sure you are having the minimal amount of EFA’s I advised in my article.

[ QUOTE ]
Also, should I just consume it by itself (like flax oil) or can I actually use it to cook/bake/etc.?

[/ QUOTE ]

You can cook with it.

[ QUOTE ]
Also does coconut milk offer the same benifits as the oil?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, it is not as dense in MCT’s, but those that are in it will help.

[ QUOTE ]

OldSchool, I would really like to hear about your experiences with adding sources of saturated fats in your diet. What specific sources (and what amounts) did you use? What benefits did you feel it provided to your bulk? And also I would love to hear what other information and knowledge you posses regarding this topic. thanks a lot!

[/ QUOTE ]

Me, too! [img]/forum/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Co-Editor. of JHR

Bible Studies

Old 11-10-2005, 03:32 AM
Brad22 should change his/her status!

I have some muscle milk which has a fair amount of mcts but have been avoiding due to this high saturated fat content of it. Would this make it acceptable to eat on my next bulk so I dont feel like i wasted the money or is it still unacceptable
10 percent bodyfat