glycemic index of exotic roots - ABCbodybuilding

Go Back   ABCbodybuilding > Iron, Metal, & Steel!! > In Depth Nutrition

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 09-21-2005, 11:50 PM
TonyTheTiger is eating
Rookie

Default glycemic index of exotic roots

As a Cuban American I grew up eating a lot of yuca root. I really love it but wonder about its glycemic index. For those of you who have never had it is like a potato but quite fiberous.

My question is, does anyone know information about its glycemic index? I doubt it because i have searched the web a bit. If not is there a way to estimate the GI of a food? What is the exact method for computing GI?
Old 09-22-2005, 01:52 AM
dunno should change his/her status!
Middleweight

Default Re: glycemic index of exotic roots

I have been questioning the validity of overly worrying about the GI:

The use of glycaemic index tables to predict glycaemic index of composite breakfast meals.

Flint A, Moller BK, Raben A, Pedersen D, Tetens I, Holst JJ, Astrup A.

Department of Human Nutrition, Centre for Advanced Food Studies, The Royal Veterinary and Agricultural University, DK-1958 Frederiksberg C, Denmark. afl@kvl.dk

The applicability of the glycaemic index (GI) in the context of mixed meals and diets is still debatable. The objective of the present study was to investigate the predictability of measured GI in composite breakfast meals when calculated from table values, and to develop prediction equations using meal components. Furthermore, we aimed to study the relationship between GI and insulinaemic index (II). The study was a randomised cross-over meal test including twenty-eight healthy young men. Thirteen breakfast meals and a reference meal were tested. All meals contained 50 g available carbohydrate, but differed considerably in energy and macronutrient composition. Venous blood was sampled for 2 h and analysed for glucose and insulin. Prediction equations were made by regression analysis. No association was found between predicted and measured GI. The meal content of energy and fat was inversely associated with GI (R(2) 0.93 and 0.88, respectively; P<0.001). Carbohydrate content (expressed as percentage of energy) was positively related to GI (R(2) 0.80; P<0.001). Using multivariate analysis the GI of meals was best predicted by fat and protein contents (R(2) 0.93; P<0.001). There was no association between GI and II. In conclusion, the present results show that the GI of mixed meals calculated by table values does not predict the measured GI and furthermore that carbohydrates do not play the most important role for GI in mixed breakfast meals. Our prediction models show that the GI of mixed meals is more strongly correlated either with fat and protein content, or with energy content, than with carbohydrate content alone. Furthermore, GI was not correlated with II.

Good whole foods are all probably ok if you are not a diabetic. Paticularly if you are eating it as part of a balanced meal.
Old 09-28-2005, 12:06 AM
nwcanoli should change his/her status!
Stranger

Assuming your "yuca" is the same as "yucca" (also known as manioc or cassava):
http://www.cdc.gov/nccdphp/dnpa/5aday/month/tubers.htm
http://www.mendosa.com/gilists.htm
Cassava, boiled, with salt (Kenya, Africa) GI=46 100 GL=12(per 100g serving)
Old 09-28-2005, 12:10 AM
nwcanoli should change his/her status!
Stranger

[ QUOTE ]
I have been questioning the validity of overly worrying about the GI:

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. I have small amounts of fruit with my breakfast (oats, yogurt, whey) and I don't think it's a problem.
Old 09-28-2005, 06:36 AM
TonyTheTiger is eating
Rookie

thanks nwcanoli, yes this is the same root.
Closed Thread