cuts won't heal - ABCbodybuilding

Go Back   ABCbodybuilding > Iron, Metal, & Steel!! > Female Specific Athletic Forum

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 08-15-2005, 04:10 PM
xen_baby should change his/her status!
Rookie

Default cuts won\'t heal

I got bit a couple times this summer by bugs. No biggie... But the bites scabbed up, and they just wont heal at all. They're shiney and hard, like an old scab, but they wnt go away. (they've been around for at least a month) I've noticed lately that i bruise alot easier as well, and the bruises take longer to go away. I cut myself at work a week ago, and the cut still looks like it's 2 days old.I've just recently (about a month ago) started taking different supplemetns (B100's, Chromium, multi vitamin, 1000mg Vitamin C 2-3 times a day) What can i do to make these scabs/scars heal? What am i doing wrong with my diet? Could it also be stress related?
Old 08-15-2005, 05:48 PM
littleamazon is praying and loving in action, word, deed and thought by the Grace of God
National Champion

Default Re: cuts won\'t heal

Have you gone to the doctor to get checked? This I would do because some time has passed by.

I found this on skin cuts:

http://www.aurorahealthcare.org/yourheal...pesBruises.htm"

SKIN INJURY (CUTS, SCRAPES, BRUISES)
Injury Definition
Cuts and Scratches: Superficial cuts (scratches) only extend partially through the skin and rarely become infected. Deep cuts (lacerations) go through the skin (dermis).
Abrasions or Scrapes: An area of superficial skin that has been scraped off. Commonly occurs on the knees, elbows and palms.
Bruises: Bruises (contusions) result from a direct blow or a crushing injury; there is bleeding into the skin from damaged blood vessels without an overlying cut or abrasion.
When are Stitches Needed?
Any cut that is split open or gaping probably needs sutures (stitches). Cuts longer than 1/2 inch (1/4 inch on face) usually need sutures.
A physician should evaluate any open wound that may need sutures regardless of the time that has passed since the initial injury.
Tetanus Booster
Tetanus is a rare infection caused by bacteria that are found in many places, especially in dirt and soil. The tetanus bacteria enter through a break in the skin and then spread through the body.
Tetanus is commonly called "lock jaw" because the first symptom is a tightening of the muscles of the face. However, the final stage of the infection is much more serious. All of the muscles of the body go into severe spasm, including the muscles that control breathing. Eventually a person with a tetanus infection loses the ability to breath, and may die in spite of intensive treatment in the hospital.
A tetanus booster protects you from getting a tetanus infection. It does not prevent other kinds of wound infection.
Clean Cuts and Scrapes - Booster Needed Every 10 Years: Patients with clean MINOR wounds AND who have previously had 3 or more tetanus shots (full series), need a booster every 10 years. Examples of minor wounds include a superficial abrasion or a cut sustained while washing dishes. Obtain booster within 72 hours.
Dirty Cuts and Scrapes - Booster Needed Every 5 Years: Patients with dirty wounds need a booster every 5 years. Examples of dirty wounds include those contaminated with soil, feces, saliva and more serious wounds from deep punctures, crushing, and burns. Obtain booster within 24. When in doubt? assume that it is a dirty wound.
See More Appropriate Topic (instead of this one) If
Animal caused it, see ANIMAL BITE
It looks infected, see WOUND INFECTION
Skin is punctured (not cut or scraped), see PUNCTURE WOUND
BURNS
SPLINTER OR SLIVER is present in the skin

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

WHEN TO CALL YOUR DOCTOR FOR SKIN INJURY
Call 911 Now (you may need an ambulance) If:
Major bleeding (actively bleeding or spurting) that can't be stopped
Cut on the neck, chest, back, or abdomen that may go deep (e.g. stab wound)
First Aid: Apply direct pressure to the entire wound with a clean cloth.
Call Your Doctor Now (night or day) If:
You think you have a serious injury
Severe pain
Bleeding that hasn't stopped after 10 minutes of direct pressure
Cut is very deep (e.g. can see bone or tendons)
Skin is split open or gaping and may need stitches
Dirt or grime in the wound is not removed after 15 minutes of scrubbing
Skin loss from bad scrape goes very deep
Skin loss involves greater than 10% of body surface (Note: the hand's surface equals 1%)
High pressure injection injury (e.g. from paint gun, usually work-related)
Cut or scrape looks infected (redness, red streak or pus)
Call Your Doctor Within 24 Hours (between 9 am and 4 pm) If:
You think you need to be seen
Several bruises occur without any known injury
Very large bruise follows a minor injury (wider than 2 inches)
No tetanus booster in more than 10 years (5 years for dirty cuts and scrapes)
Diabetic with any cut or scrape on foot
Call Your Doctor During Weekday Office Hours If:
You have other questions or concerns
Self Care at Home If:
Minor cut, scrape or bruise and you don't think you need to be seen
^Back to Top

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

HOME CARE ADVICE FOR MINOR CUT, SCRAPE, OR BRUISE
Treatment of Minor Cuts, Scratches and Scrapes (abrasions):
Apply direct pressure for 10 minutes to stop any bleeding.
Wash the wound with soap and water for 5 minutes.
For any dirt, scrub it gently with a washcloth.
Cut off any pieces of dead loose skin using a fine scissors (cleaned with rubbing alcohol before and after use).
Apply an antibiotic ointment, covered by a Band-Aid or dressing. Change daily.
Treatment of Minor Bruise:
Apply a cold pack or an ice bag wrapped in a towel for 20 minutes each hour for 4 consecutive hours. (20 minutes of cold followed by 40 minutes of rest for 4 hours in a row).
48 hours after the injury, use local heat for 10 minutes 3 times each day to help reabsorb the blood.
Rest the injured part as much as possible for 48 hours.
Pain Medication: For pain relief, take acetaminophen every 4-6 hours (e.g. Tylenol; adult dosage 650 mg) OR ibuprofen every 6-8 hours (e.g. Advil, Motrin; adult dosage 400 mg).
Do not take ibuprofen if you have stomach problems, kidney disease, are pregnant, or have been told by your doctor to avoid this type of anti-inflammatory drug. Do not take ibuprofen for more than 7 days without consulting your doctor.
Do not take acetaminophen if you have liver disease.
Read the package instructions thoroughly on all medications that you take.
Expected Course: Pain and swelling usually begin to improve 2 or 3 days after an injury. Swelling is usually gone in 7 days. Pain may take 2 weeks to completely resolve.
Call Your Doctor If:
Looks infected (pus, redness, increasing tenderness)
Doesn't heal within 10 days
You become worse or develop any of the "Call Your Doctor" symptoms.

Amazon

- St. Dominic Savio (1842-1857)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v9...n/Mercy50K.jpg
We must pray without tiring, for the salvation of mankind does not depend on material success, nor on sciences that cloud the intellect. Neither does it depend on arms and human industries, but on Jesus alone.

- St. Frances Xavier Cabrini (1850-1917)
Old 08-15-2005, 10:19 PM
Ribnastay should change his/her status!
Middleweight

Get some neosporin or bacitracin and some band aids.
Old 08-15-2005, 11:21 PM
posse123 should change his/her status!

Go see a doctor if this is a recent thing. If you've healed up faster than you are now, something could be wrong with your iron levels or something.
Old 08-15-2005, 11:54 PM
TForce should change his/her status!
Light-Heavyweight

There are several diseases that could cause this, and it sounds like it started when these bugs bit you. Maybe that's just a coincidence. I would get to the doctor in a flash.