Exercise of the Week: Glutes - ABCbodybuilding

Go Back   ABCbodybuilding > Iron, Metal, & Steel!! > Female Specific Athletic Forum

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 08-06-2005, 12:46 PM
Tuf should change his/her status!
Mr. Universe

Default Exercise of the Week: Glutes

Ahh, the glutes. [img]/forum/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] Oftentimes this is the last place that female physique competitors lean out. It is not uncommon to see a competitor who is completely shredded, but then when she quarter turns and assumes the rear facing pose it can sometimes be hard to believe that that backside belongs to that body. [img]/forum/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

So, I wanted to share with you ladies a new-to-me exercise that I did today. I am sure many of you have done the exercise, as I had, with no added resistance in an old school Jane Fonda workout video (lol); this variation, however, allows you to increase the load such that the movement can be taken to failure. Hooray! [img]/forum/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

On an exercise mat, position yourself on the floor on your hands & knees (the following pictures show the exercise on your elbows and knees; both are acceptable). Maintain a flat back position, keeping your torso parallel to the floor. Secure a dumbbell behind one knee and lift your heel (not your toe) toward the ceiling. Squeeze your glutes and hamstrings for a good peak contraction, then lower and repeat until failure. And don't underestimate yourself on this one! On my heaviest set I used a 45 lb. dumbbell, so don't be deceived by the 10 lbs. used by the woman in these photos.

<font color="blue">We taped a lot of famous pictures on the locker-room door: Bobby Orr, Potvin, Beliveau, all holding the Stanley Cup. We'd stand back and look at them and envision ourselves doing it. I really believe if you visualize yourself doing something, you can make that image come true...I must have rehearsed it ten thousand times. And when it came true it was like an electric jolt went up my spine.</font>
-Wayne Gretzky

http://www.rhondariley.com/009/thumbs/005.jpg
"When prepping for a show, I look at my body as my grade and the training and diet as my homework. If I do my homework I will get a good grade."
-Rhonda Riley

<font color="009999">Click Here for ABC's Forum Rules</font>
<font color="purple">Click Here for ABC's Index of Bible Studies</font>
Old 08-06-2005, 01:58 PM
Coz is back with a vengeance
Super Moderator

Default Re: Exercise of the Week: Glutes

Tuf you really know how to persuade someone to read on! lol Whatever you're selling I'll buy it! [img]/forum/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Forum Rules - ABC's Index of Bible Studies - ABC Store - My Journal

Hebrews 10:35-36
(35) Cast not away therefore your confidence, which hath great recompence of reward. (36) For ye have need of patience, that, after ye have done the will of God, ye might receive the promise.

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
-Albert Einstein

"I was gratified to be able to answer promptly. I said I don't know."
- Mark Twain (1835 - 1910)

Arnold, Franco and Sly at Gold's Gym.
Old 08-06-2005, 02:53 PM
xen_baby should change his/her status!
Rookie

Thanks Tuf! I'm always looking for new glute excersizes to add to my routine..
Old 08-06-2005, 04:12 PM
Mr. Universe

^^^LMAO. [img]/forum/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] *Coz sits down and reworks split to prioritize glutes.*

You're welcome, xen_baby! I'm always looking for new exercises, variations, or angles too. [img]/forum/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
<font color="blue">We taped a lot of famous pictures on the locker-room door: Bobby Orr, Potvin, Beliveau, all holding the Stanley Cup. We'd stand back and look at them and envision ourselves doing it. I really believe if you visualize yourself doing something, you can make that image come true...I must have rehearsed it ten thousand times. And when it came true it was like an electric jolt went up my spine.</font>
-Wayne Gretzky

"When prepping for a show, I look at my body as my grade and the training and diet as my homework. If I do my homework I will get a good grade."
-Rhonda Riley

Old 08-09-2005, 09:56 AM
Vlad is traalallaalal
Super-Heavyweight

Cool exercise, Tuf! Pics are cooler though ^^
Old 08-09-2005, 10:55 AM
littleamazon is praying and loving in action, word, deed and thought by the Grace of God
National Champion

Cool exercise! Now, posture is important here, right? I have seen a lot of people curving their backs or leaning down when they do this.

Oh, and btw...only one of my glutes fits on those little pants of theirs..yep, got tons of work to do!

Amazon

- St. Dominic Savio (1842-1857)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v9...n/Mercy50K.jpg
We must pray without tiring, for the salvation of mankind does not depend on material success, nor on sciences that cloud the intellect. Neither does it depend on arms and human industries, but on Jesus alone.

- St. Frances Xavier Cabrini (1850-1917)
Old 08-09-2005, 03:17 PM
Mr. Universe

^^^Absolutely, LA! Like I said, maintain a flat back position. Again, don't sell yourself short, but start out light to get a feel for the form if you've never done this exercise before. It's not worth injuring yourself. [img]/forum/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
-Wayne Gretzky

-Rhonda Riley

Old 08-10-2005, 01:41 PM
Rookie

Ok ladies... Help me here.

I've started to incorperate this into my workout (THANKS AGAIN :P) But whenever i train my glutes, i feel my right cheek BURNING, while my left one feels it, but it's not as intense. I try to keep my form as perfect as i can, and i'm thinking that my left side is weaker, so it's not using the proper form to do the excersizes. either way. I feel that for almost everything on the left side of my body. I try and do extra sets, and so on, but i just dont feel the same burn on the left! What do i do?
Old 08-15-2005, 12:00 PM
betsylauren should change his/her status!
Rookie

I tried this today...very fun! I felt a little off-balance, though, especially as I increased the weight - I suppose this is normal?

Xen_baby, I know what you mean, except mine is with STRETCHING. My right hamstring is always super-tight, and I have to stretch it three times as long and very, very gently to keep from injuring myself, compared to my left. I have noticed that it seems to get better over time the more I keep at it, so maybe just focus on making every rep on that left side perfect or even do a couple of extra reps on each set until you start to see a more symmetrical response? Just a guess....
Old 08-15-2005, 03:31 PM
Rookie

Betsylauren, i have consistently been doing extra reps (and extra perfect reps) on my left side, and i'm starting to feel more of a symmtircal response now. Thank you! Actually, i seemed to start noticing the difference in feeling about a week after i started doing more reps. I find the more muscle i have, the better of a flex i have in that muscle... the harder i can work it. I love that feeling.