Rookie

Default Re: Venom\'s Bodybuilding Journal

Yay! Go Venom!
Old 08-04-2005, 07:44 PM
Venom is training, researching, or talking on ABC
Vice President Abcbodybuilding.com

Stats

I’ll list some stats during my workouts.

Current Goals

Currently, I am clean bulking (no comments LA lol!). My schedule is pretty flexible right now, so I am trying to take advantage of that by gaining some serious mass.

My strong points are my delts, traps, back, and thighs. My pecs and calves are definitely not strong points, but they are coming along nicely. My biggest weakness are my arms, so I am working very hard on improving those.

I constantly try to apply methods to my training program and diet. I literally agonize on ways to improve my program, split and workouts. I will be shortly posting various components of my program, and explaining why I use such techniques from a scientific standpoint. All feedback is welcomed. [img]/forum/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Co-Editor. of JHR

Venom@abcbodybuilding.com
Bible Studies
Click Here to Support the Future of Bodybuilding!

Matthew 7:20
And Jesus said unto them, Because of your unbelief: for verily I say unto you, If ye have faith as a grain of mustard seed, ye shall say unto this mountain, Remove hence to yonder place; and it shall remove; and nothing shall be impossible unto you.
Old 08-04-2005, 09:48 PM

Training Split

Thighs H—Calves H
Back L—Biceps H/Forearms M
Pecs—Triceps H/Forearms L
Thighs L—Calves L
Delts H—Biceps L
Pecs—Triceps M/Calves M
Back H—Biceps M/Forearms H
Delts L—Triceps L
Start over…

For large body parts: H=1-6 L=8-15+ reps
For small muscle groups H=1-6 M=8-12 L=12-15+

For pecs, not using DUP on this split

The dash stands for morning to night sessions.

I am using daily undulated periodization (DUP).

Read about this method here, Periodization Part 3 – Traditional and Non-Traditional Periodization

There are numerous complexities to this split.

I have been testing out DUP for several months now. My current split is more hypertrophy oriented, and high frequency. For large muscle groups, I train light one day, get four days rest, train heavy, get 2 days rest, and repeat. I try to optimize performance on my heavy days, so I provide enough rest, and attempt to avoid conflicting body parts before I train on those days. I.E. I won’t train delts right before a heavy pec day. For myself, 4 days rest appears adequate; for others, this will vary. You may need 5 or even 6 days rest before you are fully recovered, depending on how advanced you are, and the effect of the preceding workout.

You will notice that I try to distribute my split, such that, I often only train one muscle group during a workout—even if it is a small muscle group. In fact, during all of my first workouts, I only train one muscle group, and for half of my night workouts, I only train 1; the other half, I train two; however, both muscle groups are small.

I also train 7 days a week. For a long time, I used a 6 day on, one day off type of split, but I have tried this the last several months, and it has worked well for me. It helps keep me lean, as well.

One thing I would note with this type of split, is that it is extremely advanced. I would not advise just anyone to do this type of split. For instance, if you are used to training one time a day, I would just ease into a 2 a day program. Otherwise, you will quickly over train, however, this type of split can be an effective overreaching cycle for many. To elaborate, an over reaching cycle would entail training to accumulate fatigue, followed by a period of rest. For instance, doing the Zane blitz, and following that up with a taper. This combination is thought to lead to an even greater supercompensation effect. We’ll be discussing this method in JHR—hopefully next issue.

In order to get the frequency I desired, some drawbacks are in the split, in that, some body parts conflict. For instance, I train legs before back once, and delts before pecs. You will note that this was designed so that it coincided with my light days. This was done for several reasons.

First, fatigue is highly specific. So training heavy one day is going to recruit a much different motor neuronal pool than training light. Here are some quotes from the third periodization article explaining:

[ QUOTE ]
Medsger (2005), a hard-core bodybuilder, credentialed Kinesiologist, and fellow colleague of the current authors, suggests that it may be advantageous to design a split that does not combine light and heavy days on successive sessions. This was also suggested by Kraemer, who proposed that a coach that gave a hard-core practice should not train for power in the weight room that same day. So the coach could adjust, and simply make that day a light day, and perform the power day in place of the light day later in the split.

Wilson and Wilson (2005) have applied this method with excellent results. For instance, the authors are currently using a split training protocol of delts and pecs the same day. These muscles are synergistic to each other; thus, training one muscle would hinder the other later. To counter these side effects, the authors have used the Medsger (2005) protocol. Delts are trained heavy the first session of the day and pecs are trained light-moderate at night. Then, for the second workout of that week, pecs are trained heavy during the first session, and delts are trained light-moderate at night. Due to the specificity of fatigue, this has minimized the hindrance training these muscle groups would have on each other. This again demonstrates the flexibility of a DUP split. Using DUP would increase the athlete’s ability to prioritize various muscle groups.

This method could also be applied to other synergist muscle groups. For instance, currently Wilson and Wilson (2005) do legs followed by back in their current split. To minimize the negative effects these have on each other, legs are trained heavy one day, and back is trained light-moderate the next. And visa versa later in the week. This again has worked extremely well.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Kraemer suggests that DUP is an excellent protocol that allows flexibility in ones schedule. For instance, when a coach gave a hard-core practice, training for power in the weight room that day would not be optimal. So the coach could adjust, and simply make that day a light day, and perform the power day in place of the light day later in the split. Or if one workout session is missed due to sickness, etc., the workout schedule can be simply pushed up a day, and continued. Kraemer also suggests that DUP would be excellent for in-season sport schedules. Here are some final thoughts from Kraemer on this topic (Haff, 2004):

As scientists, we have carefully tried to quantify this [DUP] in both specific and general models as being more optimal than other forms of training progressions. We have tried to get beyond the level of opinion and provide some data to work with. This is key to my approach in training-program development. Such data seem to support the use of very dramatically different training days, ranging from a base of 3 different training days, for example, to many more with completely different target goals for that training session and very little cross-over of another style of training during that session to allow motor units to be very selectively recruited. Thus, when we are training on a heavy day, for example, with a 3 to 5RM zone for our exercises, there are not a lot of light repetitions performed except for needed warm-up. On light days, one never gets into the resting heavy and power recruitment patterns, thus providing a very different physiological experience for the workout that day.

[/ QUOTE ]

So I don’t notice much of a performance decrement, from if I would have not trained a conflicting muscle group the previous day, because of the way that I sequence my split.

For small muscle groups, I am training calves, forearms, triceps, and biceps 3 times every 8 days. High frequency appears to be optimal for these muscle groups. Evidence suggests that there is a shorter learning curve and less neurological stress for muscles that require less intramuscular coordination, and less physiological and psychological fatigue. For instance, squats are a multi-joint compound lift, which requires recruits a large array of muscle groups; whereas, bicep curls do not. Thus, small muscle groups recover quicker, and can be trained more frequently than larger muscle groups.

One thing I take into account in my entire split is practice distribution. From my experience, training a muscle group, whether it is small or large, more frequently, with less volume per workout, but perhaps equal or more volume in an allotted time span (i.e. within one week) works superiorly. So for instance, let’s say you were to do 80 sets of legs. Evidence suggests that you would get superior results if you performed 50 sets of legs Monday, and 30 sets of Friday instead of doing all 80 sets on Monday. For more information on this, refer to Specificity Part VIII: The effect of Practice Distribution & Contextual Interference on Performance & Learning

You’ll notice I only have 2 days rest before light days. What I am using here is the fitness and fatigue model. I slightly accumulate fatigue by doing this, in hopes of creating a physiologically greater adaptation; then, I take a longer period of rest (4 days) to super compensate for my heavy workout. This is discussed in the tapering articles written by Wilson and Wilson (2005) as well as the aforementioned periodization articles.

Next, I need to discuss the repetitions.

On my previous cycles, I heavily focused on increasing my capacity on various lifts. Here is a quote from the periodization article explaining my rep range:

[ QUOTE ]
Wilson and Wilson (2005) have also applied DUP with excellent results. Due to the massive amounts of volume during their workouts, however, large muscle groups have only been trained twice a week, with a split between one heavy day (>6 reps), and one light-moderate training session (8-15 reps). The results have been absolutely fantastic in both strength and hypertrophy gains.

[/ QUOTE ]

I found that this was excellent for increasing my capacity in various lifts, but not quite optimal for hypertrophy.

So, currently, I am transmutating my increased lifts, to hypertrophy gains. So for instance, lets say someone was doing 95 pounds 12 times, and then worked for a few months on increasing their capacity so that they could do 110 12 times; however, to get their, they did not train in an optimal hypertrophy rep range. Next, they would change to an optimal hypertrophy rep range, and start training with 110 pounds. This would force their body to adapt and grow through progressive resistance.

Lets talk a bit about hypertrophy.

The biological law of accommodation, states that the response of an organism to the same given stimulus decreases over time. Therefore, using the same techniques over a long period of time will decrease performance gains.

The need for a constant increase in training loads for adaptation leads to extremely demanding training programs. For instance, load for elite athletes is roughly 10 times that of beginners having 6 months experience. Elite weight lifters (Bulgarians) lift around 5,000 tons a year, the load for novices is only 1/10th this level.

Taking this into account, there are numerous ways to stimulate hypertrophy.

One of the most efficient ways of progressive overload is increasing the weight (in a bodybuilding rep range for maximal results). However, numerous other methods exist.

You can stimulate growth by increasing volume, changing exercises, varying shocking methods, etc. It’s all about variety. This has to do with acute training variables, and again, will be discussed soon in JHR. [img]/forum/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

But hopefully, you get the point of what I am doing here.

Anyway, about my rep range. On my large muscle groups, I have a few criterion lifts I work on (I will discuss this in a moment) that I train using the same style I have been. I.E. 1-6 on heavy days, and 8-15 on light days. However, for the remained of the workout, what I am doing is a rep range of 8-12 reps on heavy days, and 12-15+ reps on the light-moderate days. So lets say I do squats on heavy days for 10 sets, in the 1-6 rep range, the rest of the workout, I will train in the 8-12 rep range. My next leg workout, I might do squats for 5 sets in the 8-12 rep range, and then train light the rest of the workout (i.e. in the 12-15+ rep range.). Using this protocol has been excellent for inducing hypertrophy so far.

On my small muscle groups, I am using a similar method to Kraemer. I have a heavy, moderate and light day, and train very frequently, with moderate volume. I will do 1-6 reps, 8-12, and then 12-15+.

I also am including more shocking methods such as strips and super sets in this split. I pretty much save these for the light days; I rarely do them on heavy days. When I do these, I stay within the allotted rep range—i.e. I do a high rep strip on each strip. And the same thing for super sets.

Now, onto my criterion lift.

What I try to do is pick one or two lifts for every body part, and prioritize it in my workout (i.e. always do it first, or second, and using several practice variables to increase the lift, such as random and distributed practice). For example, I am prioritizing squats right now during my leg workouts, and always do it first, and use several methods to optimize it. Same thing for several other lifts. I will be discussing how I go about doing this during my workouts later on.

On cardio, I typically do 4 days a week, 30 minutes per session, 65% VO2 max (read this for more information on the optimal form of cardio for total fat oxidation, Direct Comparisons of Fuel use during Low, Moderate, and High Intensity Exercises

I do not do cardio 2 days before my heavy leg workout to make sure I am completely recovered, and 1 day before my light leg workout. I always do cardio the day of my leg workout (after my leg workout) to get some active recovery.

On abs, I am going to work on implementing Adam “Old School” Knowlden’s program into my split. I am going to come up with a plan, and discuss it with him, then post it up. I was going to wait until we got a new cover to JHR to release it, but someone is to busy eating pizzas (lol [img]/forum/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img] ) So I will just give you guys the link in here!

Here are old schools workouts:

http://www.abcbodybuilding.com/abdominalframwork.php

http://www.abcbodybuilding.com/abdominalworkout.php

They are a true masterpiece! I can’t wait to implement them into my program. Thanks, Adam!

This split is very hard-core. What I do to avoid overtraining is: 1.) I have learned my body pretty well, to where I know when to back of on my volume, so I may just get in and get 20 hard-core heavy sets instead of 30 o 40 one day to avoid overtraining. 2.) I taper very frequently, typically, every 6 weeks; and no longer than 8. 3.) I may skip a cardio session. 4.) I adjust my diet accordingly. I’ll discuss this later.

If you do this type of split, you can afford no room for error, you must have a perfect diet, sleep, and plenty of time to train. If you cant do that, than don’t do a split like this.

I probably missed some detail. But as you see, this split had a lot of thought placed into it, and also took a great deal of time trying to see which method works best for me. I found this so far has worked great for my body. I do not feel over trained and I am very happy with my results.

If I have time, I’ll post a workout tonight. It will be easier once I get done explaining a ground work of my program though. [img]/forum/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

I am going to hit the bike, now. Yeah lol [img]/forum/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Co-Editor. of JHR

Bible Studies

And Jesus said unto them, Because of your unbelief: for verily I say unto you, If ye have faith as a grain of mustard seed, ye shall say unto this mountain, Remove hence to yonder place; and it shall remove; and nothing shall be impossible unto you.
Old 08-04-2005, 10:04 PM
Adam Knowlden should change his/her status!
Olympia Contender

Are you serious!! How sick is this journal going to be!! [img]/forum/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
Training Split

Thighs H—Calves H
Back L—Biceps H/Forearms M
Pecs—Triceps H/Forearms L
Thighs L—Calves L
Delts H—Biceps L
Pecs—Triceps M/Calves M
Back H—Biceps M/Forearms H
Delts L—Triceps L
Start over…

[/ QUOTE ]

I will be stealing this split on my bulk.

On my cut I am doing the split listed in the ab article.

[ QUOTE ]
I also train 7 days a week. For a long time, I used a 6 day on, one day off type of split, but I have tried this the last several months, and it has worked well for me. It helps keep me lean, as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

But I agree, working out every day has made me more lean without changing my standard cutting diet. I've noticed my obliques are really etched out right now. This was always difficult to achieve before working out daily.

If I am really tired, I may miss a day, then just pick up where I left off. But its been weeks since I've missed. I think my main difference from your split is that I only train in the PM, aside from the muscle I am prioritizing, which I generally shock by increasing frequency like I've laid out in the anabolic drive series.

But one thing is I have been supplementing daily with Champions awesome joint formula and really increasing my glutamine intake. I've noticed a much larger coupling effect with creatine when supplementing with 20-30 grams of glutamine per day. Also my fatigue levels are much less after a workout. My intensity is always there despite daily hardcore routines.

With increased frequency I've also noticed DOMS is still severe but dissapates much more rapidly. Again I chalk this up to better conditioning through increased frequency and increased glutamine intake.

[ QUOTE ]
This split is very hard-core. What I do to avoid overtraining is: 1.) I have learned my body pretty well, to where I know when to back of on my volume, so I may just get in and get 20 hard-core heavy sets instead of 30 o 40 one day to avoid overtraining. 2.) I taper very frequently, typically, every 6 weeks; and no longer than 8. 3.) I may skip a cardio session. 4.) I adjust my diet accordingly. I’ll discuss this later.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't wait to hear your insights on this! I have been researhing instinctive training techniques for a future edition of JHR.

Between your journal and Joe's journal and the journal of our featured athletes we have some serious carnage coming our way!!! [img]/forum/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

Thank Gabe! [img]/forum/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 08-04-2005, 10:55 PM
Xenos should change his/her status!
Bantamweight

Great news bro!! not only this will help alot of people...this will help you too, an online journal just gives that little extra motivation.

Would be great to know where you are and what are your current goals. in terms of weight, height, bf, years lifting ect...just to give people an idea
what it takes to be able to use that kind of training(kids do not try this at home [img]/forum/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img])

"The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is the attribute of the strong." -Gandhi
Old 08-04-2005, 10:56 PM
President Wilson is hard at work
Administrator

Venom if you don't mind me sumarizing all that science -

The key to Venoms program in short is:

Venom's training partner is the President of Abcbodybuilding [img]/forum/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/forum/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/forum/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

About me --> http://www.abcbodybuilding.com/presidentprofile.html
Old 08-04-2005, 10:56 PM
IronFuji should change his/her status!
Light-Heavyweight

Awesome! Thanks Venom!

--Skip La Cour</font>
Old 08-04-2005, 10:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Venom if you don't mind me sumarizing all that science -

The key to Venoms program in short is:

Venom's training partner is the President of Abcbodybuilding [img]/forum/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/forum/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/forum/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

hahahaha [img]/forum/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Co-Editor. of JHR

Bible Studies

Old 08-04-2005, 11:04 PM
Xenos should change his/her status!
Bantamweight

And the president's training partner is VENOM!! [img]/forum/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img] [img]/forum/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]

(you cant go wrong with a combination like this)

"The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is the attribute of the strong." -Gandhi
Old 08-04-2005, 11:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Great news bro!! not only this will help alot of people...this will help you too, an online journal just gives that little extra motivation.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, it definitely motivates me. I hope many benefit from this. [img]/forum/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
Would be great to know where you are and what are your current goals

[/ QUOTE ]

I said my goals.

[ QUOTE ]
in terms of weight, height, bf, years lifting ect...just to give people an ideawhat it takes to be able to use that kind of training(kids do not try this at home )

[/ QUOTE ]

Right now I am 215, 5'8.5. I have not taken bf in a bit, but very lean. Ah...I think I have been training since I was in 6th grade lol. [img]/forum/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

I don't like basing my goal of weight--it is a very poor measurement of body composition. I do have several aspects of my body I would like to improve (I stated this earlier) and lifts I would like to achieve (this will be stated throughout the journal).
Co-Editor. of JHR

Bible Studies