Is this really bad for breakfast? - ABCbodybuilding

Go Back   ABCbodybuilding > Iron, Metal, & Steel!! > Female Specific Athletic Forum

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 07-29-2005, 10:23 AM
Erikabomb should change his/her status!

Default Is this really bad for breakfast?

For breakfast I have been having a peanut butter and jelly sandwhich on whole wheat bread. My friend told me this was a horrible choice to have. It has roughly 205 calories. I do not know all the protein, fat and carbs right off hand but I do know the calories. For my other meals I normally have:
lunch: grilled chicken breast, salad w/ olive oil & lemon juice for dressing, green beans

dinner: same salad, chicken, fish or lean meat for protein, steamed broccoli

for snacks I have: banana, apple, or fat free cottage cheese

I try to get about 1,500 or 2,000 calories a day. Any suggestions on what to eat for breakfast or is my current breakfast not that bad?

I do not care for oatmeal, eggs or cereal really although if the PB & J sandwhich is really horrible then I guess I just have to learn to like them.
Thanks,
Erika
Old 07-29-2005, 12:12 PM
TheMac should change his/her status!
Light-Heavyweight

Default Re: Is this really bad for breakfast?

short answer, yes that is a horrible breakfast. Here's why [ QUOTE ]
Cortisol is prominent in our bodies when we first wake up, because of fasting all night long. It is at its highest after a workout for obvious reasons. Therefore, you must give these two meals more attention than all others!

[/ QUOTE ]
you want:
[ QUOTE ]
Breakfast - Extremely Complex and Fibrous Starchy Carbohydrates and Proteins. The goal here is to induce the release of a low amount of insulin, but in no way an overproduction of it. This will suppress cortisol and bring amino acids to your muscles cells for their maintenance and reparation.

[/ QUOTE ]

It also looks like the rest of your diet could use some work (although you seem to have some of the basics down, ex. protein with every meal) so i would recommend reading: 13 Weeks to Hardcore Fat Burning - The Diet

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...ikeEaglesa.jpg

"The truth Iíve discovered is that you donít have to lift enormous weights to grow muscle. By using stricter form, slower negatives, and stretching between sets you can get an incredible pump in all your workouts. Numbers are an abstraction, especially to muscles. Your body doesnít know the absolute weight of what you lift, it only recognizes how heavy it feels. The secret is to make lighter weights feel heavier. " - Frank Zane

"Sacrifice: To give up, destroy, renounce, and surrender your ego, excuses, bad habits, fears, and your couch - in the belief of an ideal or pursuit of a worthy goal."

"All thing are possible to him who believes." -Mark 9:23
Old 07-29-2005, 01:22 PM
Coz is back with a vengeance
Super Moderator

I agree with TheMac completely. There are many better choices than a peanut butter and jelly sandwich in the morning. Peanut Butter (natty) is fine but fat sources first thing in the morning should be limited due to slowing the digestion process. Whole wheat bread is not the best source of complex carbs especially on a cut, but it is not totally terrible in moderation. However, I would choose a source like Oats anytime and jelly is just terrible. Also, there is not real good protein source which is important to add.

Read the link TheMac posted and it should clear it up for you as well as help you to fix your entire diet.

Question: what are your goals and what is your current condition?

Forum Rules - ABC's Index of Bible Studies - ABC Store - My Journal

Hebrews 10:35-36
(35) Cast not away therefore your confidence, which hath great recompence of reward. (36) For ye have need of patience, that, after ye have done the will of God, ye might receive the promise.

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
-Albert Einstein

"I was gratified to be able to answer promptly. I said I don't know."
- Mark Twain (1835 - 1910)

Arnold, Franco and Sly at Gold's Gym.
Old 07-29-2005, 03:05 PM

Thank you for clearing things up!

My current measurements are:

Waist: 29 inches
Hips: 37.75 inches
Bicep not flexed: 10.5
Top of thigh: 22
Calve: 13.75
Weight: 136.5
Height: 5.5

My goals are to get much more cut. I am pretty strong but my body fat is still too high to see all my hard work. I have been active my whole life with sports throughout school- swimming 11years, gymnastics 12years, track and cross country 4years. Now that I am in college I do not do any sports but I have been lifting weights now for 3 years and have a pretty good routine down. I also run nearly everyday for 30 minutes and about 2 times a week I ride my bike outside between 12-25 miles. I also work in a gym where we do boot camp type exercises in the afternoon- I participate in this. I am also going to school for exercise science. The only problem is they do not teach us very much on diet- especially if someone is really active and lifting weights. So that is why I came here to further educate myself.

I had the DEXA scan done last April and it showed my total body fat to be 26%. If you do not know much about the DEXA scan it includes all fat- brain, fat in between the muscle and around organs so it is extremely accurate. I plan on getting it done again in the beginning of September to see what results I have. The lady said that if you take about 3% off that is probably pretty close to a normal skin fold test(basically taking the brain, fat in between the muscle and fat around the organs off since we really only care about the outer fat) so that would be about 23%. I have lost 6 pounds since then and inches all over so I should be less. My goal is to get my body fat between 18-20%.

Thank you for your quick response and help. I will work on my diet further. It has come a long way since my days of fast food and pop (nearly everyday I used to eat these) but I know I still have a ways to go.
Old 07-30-2005, 02:36 AM
X-Factor should change his/her status!
Super-Heavyweight

Your numbers are not refleftive of hard work....quite honestly , you're skinny....you need food, the reason you have no definition is that you have no muscle, go on a bulk, a CLEAN one if want to be ripped....i'm goin to bed someone here will post you the link....quite honestly I have'nt gotten over jet lag in 6 days, I just get some sleep and at 5 in the morning I wake up starving but i'm full!
Old 07-30-2005, 06:49 AM
Coz is back with a vengeance
Super Moderator

[ QUOTE ]
Your numbers are not refleftive of hard work....quite honestly , you're skinny....you need food, the reason you have no definition is that you have no muscle, go on a bulk, a CLEAN one if want to be ripped....i'm goin to bed someone here will post you the link....quite honestly I have'nt gotten over jet lag in 6 days, I just get some sleep and at 5 in the morning I wake up starving but i'm full!

[/ QUOTE ]

You do realize that Erikabomb is female right?

Forum Rules - ABC's Index of Bible Studies - ABC Store - My Journal

Hebrews 10:35-36
(35) Cast not away therefore your confidence, which hath great recompence of reward. (36) For ye have need of patience, that, after ye have done the will of God, ye might receive the promise.

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
-Albert Einstein

"I was gratified to be able to answer promptly. I said I don't know."
- Mark Twain (1835 - 1910)

Arnold, Franco and Sly at Gold's Gym.
Old 07-30-2005, 12:37 PM
Super-Heavyweight

Yea, you know what Coz, i'm reading this today, and just figured that out......I told you I was tired!

well, in that case you have very good sounding proportions, but you can still add muscle [img]/forum/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] Good luck!
Old 07-30-2005, 02:24 PM
lots4waldy should change his/her status!
Middleweight

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You do realize that Erikabomb is female right?

[/ QUOTE ]

This made my day. classic.
Old 07-30-2005, 02:50 PM
Super-Heavyweight

Quiet you! [img]/forum/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]
Old 07-30-2005, 10:34 PM

I was very discouraged when I first read the latest post- about me not being very fit at all but then was relieved to read that the person thought I was male! Because I have been working really hard and I am finally starting to see some results. Today I have done pretty good on my nutrition. I had oatmeal for breakfast, turkey burger for lunch with broccoli, salad and green tea, afternoon snack of salad, shrimp and tuna and a dinner of steak, salad, asparagus, stawberries and sweet potato. For my morning workout we did running, abdominals, lunges, step ups, and then some more running.
Have a great weekend!