Discouraged - Page 2 - ABCbodybuilding

Go Back   ABCbodybuilding > Iron, Metal, & Steel!! > Female Specific Athletic Forum

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 07-10-2005, 07:08 AM
Kristen should change his/her status!
Light-Heavyweight

Default Re: Discouraged

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks everyone for the support!!!! It means so very much to me!!! I've filled out my financil aid form and had to do it at work. I do think it's an internet connection problem...but that probably won't get fixed b/c I don't know how!!! [img]/forum/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

I'm in much higher spirts and have a very positive outlook on things!! I know it won't be easy, but it'll be worth it!! I'm scared, but I think that's natural and all this wil give me more fuel the fire in the gym!!!! [img]/forum/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yay Sweetpea!!! I'm so glad to hear that you're doing better - some days just stink. Go Sweetpea, GO!!! [img]/forum/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/forum/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Training Journal
Old 07-13-2005, 08:10 PM
President Wilson is hard at work
Administrator

Its awesome that you are so determined Sweatpea!

You could become a kinesiologist / scientist [img]/forum/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/forum/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/forum/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

About me --> http://www.abcbodybuilding.com/presidentprofile.html
Old 07-13-2005, 09:02 PM
should change his/her status! Edit

I was thinkin the same thing, Prez :-) What are some recommended schools with Kinesiology programs?
Old 07-13-2005, 11:09 PM
Venom is training, researching, or talking on ABC
Vice President Abcbodybuilding.com

Great job, sweetpea. [img]/forum/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I really liked how you said:

[ QUOTE ]
I know God won't give me anymore than I can handle so I appreciate him thinking I'm this strong!!

[/ QUOTE ]

That is a great way to look at things!
Co-Editor. of JHR

Venom@abcbodybuilding.com
Bible Studies
Click Here to Support the Future of Bodybuilding!

Matthew 7:20
And Jesus said unto them, Because of your unbelief: for verily I say unto you, If ye have faith as a grain of mustard seed, ye shall say unto this mountain, Remove hence to yonder place; and it shall remove; and nothing shall be impossible unto you.
Old 07-13-2005, 11:25 PM
Administrator

[ QUOTE ]
I was thinkin the same thing, Prez :-) What are some recommended schools with Kinesiology programs?

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you looking to enter into the field? If you come out to Cali, we will help you out at California State Hayward University. It has some of the top scientists in the field. We talk about some of them in our article. For example Klapp is the worlds leading authority in Timing, and one of the top researchers in motor program research.

Here is some of his work

# Publications

1. Klapp, S.T. (2003) Reaction time analysis of two types of motor preparation for speech articulation: Action as a sequence of chunks. Journal of Motor Behavior, 35, 135-150.

2. Klapp, S.T. & Hinkley, L.B. (2002) The negative compatibility effect: Unconscious inhibition influences reaction time and response selection. Journal of Experimental Psychology: General, 131, 255-269.

3. Klapp, S.T., Nelson, J.M., & Jagacinski, R.J. (1998) Can people tap concurrent bimanual rhythms independently? Journal of Motor Behavior, 30, 301-322.

4. Klapp, S.T. (1996) Reaction time analysis of central motor control. In H. N. Zelaznik (Ed.) Advances in Motor Learning and Control. Champaign, Il. Human Kinetics Publishers, in press.

5. Klapp, S.T. (1995) Motor response programming during simple and choice reaction time: The role of practice. Journal of Experimental Psychology: Human Perception and Performance, 21, 1015-1027.

6. Jones, M.R., Jagacinski, R.J., Yee, W., Floyd, R.L., & Klapp, S.T. (1995) Tests of attentional flexibility in listening to polyrhythmic patterns. Journal of Experimental Psychology : Human Perception and Performance, 21, 293-307.

7. Netick, A. & Klapp, S.T. (1994) Hesitations in manual tracking: A single-channel limit in response programming. Journal of Experimental Psychology: Human Perception and Performance, 20, 766-782.

8. Klapp, S.T., Porter-Graham, K.A., & Hoifjeld, A.R. (1991) The relation of perception and motor action: Ideomotor compatibility and interference in divided attention. Journal of Motor Behavior, 23, 155-162.

9. Klapp, S.T., Boches, C.A., Trabert, M.L., & Logan, G.D. (1991) Automatizing alphabet arithmetic II: Are there practice effects after automaticity is achieved? Journal of Experimental Psychology: Learning, Memory, and Cognition, 17, 196-209.

10. Logan, G.D. & Klapp, S.T. (1991) Automatizing Alphabet Arithmetic I: Is extended practice necessary to produce automaticity? Journal of Experimental Psychology: Learning, Memory, and Cognition, 17, 179-195.

11. Polson, M.C., Wickens, C., Klapp, S., & Colle, H. (1989) Human interactive informational processes. In P. Han**** & M. Chignell (Eds.) Intelligent interfaces: Theory, Research and Design. Amsterdam: North Holland (pp. 129-164).

12. Klapp, S.T., & Netick, A. (1988) Multiple resources for processing and storage in short-term working memory. Human Factors, 30, 617-632.

13. Jagacinski, R.J., Marshburn, E.A., Klapp, S.T., & Jones, M.R. (1988) Tests of streamed vs. integrated structure in polyrhythmic tapping. Journal of Motor Behavior, 20, 416-442.

14. Klapp, S.T., Kelly, P.A., & Netick, A. (1987) Hesitations in continuous tracking induced by a concurrent discrete task. Human Factors, 29, 327-337.

15. Klapp, S.T. (1987) Short-term memory limits in human performance. In P. Han**** (Ed.) Human Factors Psychology Amsterdam: North Holland.

16. Klapp, S.T., Hill, M.D., Tyler, J.G., Martin, Z.E., Jagacinski, R.J., & Jones, M.R. (1985) On marching to two different drummers: Perceptual aspects of the difficulties. Journal of Experimental Psychology: Human Perception and Performance, 11, 814-827.

17. Klapp, S.T., Marshburn, E.A., & Lester, P.T. (1983) Short-term memory does not involve the "working memory" of information processing: The demise of a common assumption. Journal of Experimental Psychology: General, 112, 240-264.

18. Klapp, S.T., & Rodriguez, G. (1982) Programming time as a function of response duration: A replication of "dit-dah" without possible guessing artifacts. Journal of Motor Behavior, 14, 46-56.

19. Klapp, S.T. (1981) Motor programming is not the only process which can influence RT: Some thoughts on the Marteniuk and MacKenzie analysis. Journal of Motor Behavior, 13, 320-328.

20. Klapp, S.T. (1981) Temporal Compatibility in dual motor tasks II: Simultaneous articulation and hand movements. Memory & Cognition,9, 398-401.

21. Klapp, S.T., Greim, D.M. & Marshburn, E.A. (1981) Buffer storage of programmed articulation and articulatory loop. Two names for the same mechanism or two distinct components of short-term memory? In Long, J. B. & Baddeley, A. D. (Eds.) Attention and Performance IX. Hillsdale, N.J.: Lawrence Erlbaum Associates.

22. Klapp, S.T. & Greim, D.M. (1981) Technical considerations regarding the short (dit) - long (dah) key press paradigm. Journal of Motor Behavior, 13, 1-8.

23. Klapp, S.T. (1980) The memory drum theory after twenty years: Comments on Henry's note. Journal of Motor Behavior, 12, 169- 171.

24. Klapp, S.T. (1979) Doing two things at once: The role of temporal compatibility. Memory & Cognition, 7, 375-38l.

25. Klapp, S.T. & Greim, D.M. (1979) Programmed control of aimed movements revisited: The role of target visibility and symmetry. Journal of Experimental Psychology: Human Perception and Performance, 5, 509-521.

26. Klapp, S.T., Greim, D.M. Mendicino, C.M., Koenig, R.S. (1979) Anatomic and environmental dimensions of stimulus-response compatibility: Implications for theories of memory coding. Acta Psychologica, 43, 367-379.

27. Klapp, S.T., Abbott, J., Coffman, K., Greim, D., Snider, R. & Young, F. (1979) Simple and choice reaction time methods in the study of motor programming. Journal of Motor Behavior, 11, 91- 101.

28. Klapp, S.T., McRae, J. & Long, W. (1978) Response programming versus alternative interpretations of the "dit-dah" reaction time effect. Bulletin of the Psychonomic Society, 11, 5-6.

29. Klapp, S.T. (1978) The problem may be more difficult to solve than it appears: A reply to Zelaznik. Journal of Motor Behavior, 10, 81-82.

30. Klapp, S.T. (1977) Reaction time analysis of programmed control. In R. Hutton (ed.) Exercise and Sports Sciences Reviews. Santa Barbara, California: Journal Publishing Affiliates.

31. Klapp, S.T. (1977) Response programming, as assessed by reaction time, does not establish commands for particular muscles. Journal of Motor Behavior, 9, 301-312.

32. Klapp, S.T. (1976) Short-term memory as a response preparation state. Memory & Cognition, 4, 721-729.

33. Klapp, S.T. & Erwin, C.I. (1976) Relation between programming time and duration of the response being programmed. Journal of Experimental Psychology: Human Perception and Performance, 2, 591-598.

34. Klapp, S.T. & Wyatt, E.P. (1976) Motor programming within a sequence of responses. Journal of Motor Behavior, 8, 19-26.

35. Klapp, S.T. (1975) Feedback versus motor programming in the control of aimed movements. Journal of Experimental Psychology: Human Perception and Performance, 1, 147-153.

36. Klapp, S.T., Wyatt, E.P. & Lingo, W.M. (1974) Response programming in simple and choice reactions. Journal of Motor Behavior, 6, 263-271.

37. Klapp, S.T., Nordell, S.A., Hoekenga, K.C. & Patton, C.B. (1974) Long lasting aftereffect of brief prism exposure. Perception & Psychophysics,15, 399-400.

38. Klapp, S.T. (1974) Syllable-dependent pronunciation latencies in number-naming, a replication. Journal of Experimental Psychology, 102, 1138-1140.

39. Klapp, S.T. & Lee, P. (1974) Time of occurrence cues for "unattended" auditory material. Journal of Experimental Psychology, 102, 176-177.

40. Klapp, S.T., Anderson, W.G. & Berrian, R.W. (1973) Implicit speech in reading, reconsidered. Journal of Experimental Psychology, 100, 368-374.

41. Klapp, S.T. & Bischoff, D.M. (1972) Does Implicit speech in same- different decisions extend to nonsense forms? Perception & Psychophysics, 11, 363-364.

42. Klapp, S.T.(1971) Implicit speech inferred from response latencies in same-different decisions. Journal of Experimental Psychology, 91, 262-267.

43. Klapp, S.T. (1964) Empirical parameter variation analysis for electronic circuits. IEEE Transactions on Reliability, R-13, 34- 40.

Selected Presentations, Conference Reports, Technical Reports

1. Reaction time studies of motor programming. Wickens Colloquium at Ohio State University, May 1997.

2. Motor Reaction Time. President's Special Lecture, 12th Annual Meeting of the American Academy of Clinical Neurophysiology, San Francisco, January, 1997.

3. Single channel limit in response programming, why? Invited Research Address, University of California, Berkeley, April, 1992.

4. Single channel limit in response programming, why? Invited Research Address, University of California, San Diego, January, 1992.

5. Invited Research Address, The Ohio State University, October, 1990.

6. Jagacinski, R., Marshburn, E., Klapp, S., & Jones, M. Perceptual Motor Compatibility in Polyrhythmic Tapping. Psychonomic Society, Nov. 1988 (Presented by M. Jones).

7. Klapp, S., Netick, A., Kelly, P. & Fiori, S. Tracking hesitations may represent a single-channel limit in response programming. Psychonomic Society, Seattle Washington, November, 1987.

8. Working Memory in Multiple Resource and Automatic Processing Theories. Part of a symposium on Time-sharing, Cognition, and Human Performance in Complex Information Systems. Human Factors Society, Dayton, OH, October, 1986.

9. Perceptual learning influences dual-task performance (with Z. Martin, G. McMillan, & D. Brock). Third Mid-Central Ergonomics/Human Factors Conference, Oxford, OH, June 1986. Published in edited conference book, L. S. Mark, J.S. Warm, and R.L. Huston (Eds.), Ergonomics and human factors: Recent research, 1987, Springer-Verlag, with the title "Whole-task and part-task training in dual motor tasks".

10. Klapp, S.T. (1986) Memory and processing limits in decision- making. AFHRL Technical Report 85-60.

11. Multiple resources in working memory. Part of a symposium on "Operator capacity limits in complex systems: The theory- applications interface." Meeting of American Psychological Association, Los Angeles, CA, August, l985.

12. Hesitations in tracking induced by a concurrent manual task (with P. Kelly). Annual Conference on Manual Control, Columbus, OH., June, 1985. (Published in Proceedings of the 21st Annual Conference on Manual Control)

13. Types of tracking errors induced by concurrent secondary manual tasks (with V. Battiste, S. Dunbar, & P. Kelly). Annual Conference on Manual Control, Sunnyvale, CA, June, l984. (Published in Proceedings of the 20th Annual Conference on Manual Control).

14. Can we do two things at once? Invited research address, University of California, Santa Cruz, February, 1984.

15. Interference of simple simultaneous responses: A new interpretation. Psychonomic Society, San Diego, CA, November, 1983.

16. Short-term memory limits in performance (with A. Phillipoff). Human Factors Society, Norfolk, VA, October, l983. (Published in the Proceedings of the Human Factors Society - 27th Annual Meeting).

17. Memory and processing limits in decision making. Briefing at Human Resources Laboratory, Wright Patterson Air Force Base, OH., August, 1982.

18. Buffer storage of programmed articulation and articulatory loop: Two names for the same mechanism or two distinct components of short-term memory? Attention and Performance IX, Cambridge, England, July 1980

19. Invited research address, University of California, Los Angeles, June 1980.

And Mculla is the worlds leading authority on Modeling in exercise, and one of the leaders in self efficacy as well as Processing Specifcity. Here is some of her work

Editorial Positions
Dr. McCullagh has held a number of editorial positions including Assistant Editor of Quest, Psychology Section Editor, Research Quarterly for Exercise and Sport and currently serves on the editorial boards of the Journal of Sport and Exercise Psychology and the Journal of Applied Sport Psychology.

Positions in National Societies
Dr. McCullagh has served on the Executive Boards of the North American Society for the Psychology of Sport, the Research Consortium and served as President of the Association for the Advancement of Applied Sport Psychology and most recently the North American Society for the Psychology of Sport and Physical Activity. She belongs to numerous professional organizations and has been awarded Fellow status in the Research Consortium, the Association for the Advancement of Applied Sport Psychology and Division 47 of the American Psychological Association. In 2002 she was elected as a Fellow to the Academy of Kinesiology and Physical Education.

Some Recent Research Publications
McCullagh, P. (1995). Sport psychology: A historical perspective. The Sport Psychologist, 9, 363-365.
McCullagh P. , & Noble, J.M. (1996) Education and training in sport and exercise psychology. In J.L. Van Raalte, & B.W. Brewer (Eds.). Exploring sport and exercise psychology. (pp. 377-394). Washington, DC: American Psychological Association.

McCullagh, P. , & Meyer, K.M. (1997). Learning versus correct models: Influence of model type on the learning of a free-weight squat lift. Research Quarterly for Exercise & Sport, 68, 56-61.

McCullagh, P., & Noble, J.M. (1998). Measurement issues in exercise motivation: Personal Incentive for Exercise. In J. Duda (Ed.). Measurement issues in sport and exercise psychology. Fitness Information Technology.(pp. 316-369)

McCullagh, P. 1998). What is the applied in applied sport psychology?
The role of integration. Journal of Applied Sport Psychology, 10, S1-10.

Weiss, M.R., McCullagh, P., Smith, A. L., & Berlant, A.T. (1998). Observational learning and the fearful child: Influence of peer models on swim skill performance and psychological responses. Research Quarterly for Exercise & Sport, 69, 380-394.

Starek, J., & McCullagh, P. (1999). The effect of self-modeling on the performance of beginning swimmers. The Sport Psychologist, 13, 269-287.

McCullagh, P., Weiss, M.R. (2001). Modeling: Considerations for motor skill performance and psychological responses. In R. N. Singer, H.A. Hausenblaus, & C.M. Janelle (Eds.). Handbook of Sport Psychology,(2nd Ed.), pp. 205-238. New York: Wiley.

McCullagh, P., & Noble, J.M. (2002). Education for becoming a sport psychologist. In J.L. Van Raalte, & B.W. Brewer (Eds.). Exploring sport and exercise psychology (2nd ed)., pp. 439-458. Washington, DC: American Psychological Association.

McCullagh, P ., & Weiss, M.R. (2002). Observational learning: The forgotten psychological method in sport psychology. In J.L. Van Raalte, & B.W. Brewer (Eds.). Exploring sport and exercise psychology (2nd ed.), pp 131-150. Washington, DC: American Psychological Association.

Ram. N., & McCullagh, P. (2003). Self-modeling: Does watching yourself performance influence physical and psychological performance? The Sport Psychologist, 17, 220-232.

SooHoo, S., Takemoto, K.Y. McCullagh, P (in press) A comparison of modeling and imagery on the performance of a motor skill. Journal of Sport Behavior.

Yan, J.H., & McCullagh, P . (in press). Motivation youth physical activity: Cultural influences. Journal of Sport Behavior.

Clarke, S.E., Ste-Marie, D.M., Cumming, J., Hall, C., & McCullagh, P. (in press). Development of the functions of observational learning questionnaire (FOLQ): A confirmatory factor analysis.

Milner brown is also amazing, here are some of his publications
click here His findings have been life changing

There are many other scientists as well, and we talk about them in this months issue!

Old 07-18-2005, 02:13 PM
sweetpea81 is ready!
Middleweight

[ QUOTE ]
Its awesome that you are so determined Sweatpea!

You could become a kinesiologist / scientist

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the compliment!!! [img]/forum/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] Kinesiology is very interesting to me and I'm definately going to be including related classes into my schedule to get a feel for a little bit of everything that interests me before I make the "big" decision...one of the many life has for me to make!! [img]/forum/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
Great job, sweetpea.

I really liked how you said:

[ QUOTE ]

I know God won't give me anymore than I can handle so I appreciate him thinking I'm this strong!!

[ QUOTE ]

That is a great way to look at things!

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I try to do that when things get overwhelming b/c it all just seems to come at once most of the time!! [img]/forum/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] But, if he didn't test me continually, I'd never know the potential that's within me!!!

Good news on the schooling, I went and picked up my application on Fri. got my H.S. transcripts today and will be sending it off in the mail so I'm looking forward to hearing back!!! I'm sure I'll get in so the scary part is going to be juggling school with all the other details in my life!!! I'm also considering criminal justice, but as I said I'm going to explore my options before deciding!!!

Pres - I think what you do is awesome and want to thank everyone at ABC who has made this site and all of the information available to anyone with the desire to read, listen and learn!! [img]/forum/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

My body is the temple of the Holy Spirit and I glorify God in it by walking in divine healing and divine health. - I Cor. 6:19
Old 07-18-2005, 03:15 PM
should change his/her status! Edit

[ QUOTE ]
Are you looking to enter into the field? If you come out to Cali, we will help you out at California State Hayward University. It has some of the top scientists in the field. We talk about some of them in our article. For example Klapp is the worlds leading authority in Timing, and one of the top researchers in motor program research.

[/ QUOTE ]

Whoops, I asked this question last week and forgot to check back on your answer until now! Thank you!

I was more just interested in knowing which universities had good Kinesiology programs. Also, how would job options differ after completing a BS in Kinesiology as opposed to a degree in Exercise Science? Also, how can I find the studies you gave me so that I can read them? Online? At a library?
Old 08-02-2005, 07:26 AM
maczuk should change his/her status!
Middleweight

Sweetpea,

Don't let a few minor setbacks get you down. I went back to school when I was 25, after getting married and buying a house. I know what you are feeling about having another large financial obligation. However, now is the time to do it. The faster you get your degree, the faster you will be on your way to a more successful life. I was extremely nervous about going back but realized that I had put it off long enough. If I wanted to create a good living situation for my wife (and children now), I needed to do whatever it took at the time. I am now 38 and realized that going back to school was one of the best decisions I ever made.

Also, my signature has two quotes that I try to remember throughout the day. It helps me stay focused to do the best I can at whatever I do.

Good luck with your career when you get your degree!

Age - 40
Height - 6'1"
Weight - 203 lbs.

"Life is way to short for all the time that we kill" - RE
"A better tomorrow takes your best today!" - Triumph
"Winners are losers who got up and gave it just one more try" - Dennis DeYoung
Old 08-02-2005, 10:46 PM
JonniP should change his/her status!

"I know God won't give me anymore than I can handle so I appreciate him thinking I'm this strong!!"
yes! god sets you no test that he KNOWS you cannot complete, remember your reaction determines your reward! i pray all works out and you come out kicking stronger and more -- hardcore!!

Jonni
Old 08-03-2005, 03:38 AM
Administrator

[ QUOTE ]
Also, how would job options differ after completing a BS in Kinesiology as opposed to a degree in Exercise Science?

[/ QUOTE ]

The jobs are equivalent. A Kinesiologist is an exercise scientist.
It depends on what you want to specialize in. You could specialize in Exercise Physiology, Motor Control, Exercise Nutrition etc.
All are branches of Kinesiology, therefore no matter which you specialize in, you will be a Kinesiologist. Here is the definition

'Kinesiology is the discipline/science related to the scholarly study of sport, exercise and related activities from anatomical, biomechanical, developmental, physiological, psychological, sociological, philosophical and historical perspectives. Such understanding is a necessary prerequisite to the preparation for sport and exercise related careers.'

Here is a basic overview of what a Kinesiologist / exercise scientist must be familiar with

# understand the biological and physical bases human movement with an emphasis on sport and exercise phenomenon;
# understand the behavioral and psychological bases of human movement with an emphasis on sport and exercise phenomenon;
# understand the sociocultural, historical, and philosophical perspectives of human movement with an emphasis on sport and exercise phenomenon;
# understand how motor skills are acquired and refined;
# understand developmental basis of human movement with an emphasis on sport and exercise phenomenon
# be able to use and apply measurement instruments and principles for qualitative and quantitative assessment of human movement with an emphasis on sport and exercise phenomenon
# apply critical thinking, writing, reading, oral communication, quantitative and qualitative analysis and information management skills to movement related questions;
# be able to use the computer and other technology to support inquiry and professional practice in movement related fields;
# understand the scientific method and other systematic ways of knowing relative to research and scholarship in human movement with emphasis on sport and exercise phenomenon;
# demonstrate ability to integrate multidisciplinary knowledge bases of Kinesiology in an applied, problem-solving context;
# be familiar with standards, ethics, and expectations of professional communities related to human movement with emphasis on sport and exercise phenomenon.

Closed Thread