Hey Ladies... - ABCbodybuilding

Go Back   ABCbodybuilding > Iron, Metal, & Steel!! > Female Specific Athletic Forum

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 07-03-2005, 02:58 PM
Visionbuilder is Bulking
Bantamweight

Default Hey Ladies...

Got some questions, My Wife who is 36 ,160lbs and out of shape. Wants to get into shape. (WHHHOOOO HHOOO) Could you give me some good beginner workouts for women. She doesn't want bulk just shape. She like most wives I know can't take advice from her Hubby, so it's up to you. She will also be logging on to BB.com under the nom de plume of crazymomof3. She would log on here but I told Her you guys are much more serious about your muscles than on BB.com. Also do any of you use trainers? How much do they charge and do you work with them all the time or just once a week or so to reveiw your progress and form.
Thanks
Vision

When you're gone, your kids will never remember how much money you had in the bank. They will always rememeber time spent together.
Old 07-03-2005, 03:14 PM
nicoledominique should change his/her status!
Lightweight

Default Re: Hey Ladies...

I think that your wife could benefit from using this site. I still don't understand why women are so scared of gaining muscle mass and getting "bulky". Unless a woman works extremely hard to lift those extra-heavy weights as well as supplementing heavily, she will not get HUGE. And what's wrong with muscles anyways?!

Anywho...As for your wife - the best thing to do is to get her in the gym and familiar with all the equipment. It can be a little intimidating for those just starting out. Perhaps this is where a personal trainer might come in handy. I also think that it might be nice for you to do your cardio sessions alongside her -- be there beside her for moral support and motivation. If her goal is to lose fat, then cardio will need to play a big role -- about 40-60 minutes a day. I personally recommend running, as it burns the most fat in the least amount of time. MAKE SURE she starts off slow - walking progressing to jogging, then to running, etc.

I also believe that it is essential that she implement weight training into her new routine. The more muscle you have, the more fat you'll burn.

I really hope some of this helps!

http://pix2.hotornot.com/pics/HR/H8/...HUHZRNTMEP.jpgL.M.B - ripped. My idol.
Old 07-03-2005, 03:34 PM
Visionbuilder is Bulking
Bantamweight

Thanks for the quick reply, I too don't under stand where she gets her fear of Muscles. As I said tho she doesn't believe me when I say, lifting alone won't cause her to get big...
Should she really be doing 40 to 60 min a day to start out?
What sort of heart rate should she aim for?
Thanks again nicoledominique
Vision

When you're gone, your kids will never remember how much money you had in the bank. They will always rememeber time spent together.
Old 07-03-2005, 06:35 PM
cr4zyguy should change his/her status!

many lady friends i know have this wrong mindset toO! they do not realise that gaining muscle is hard, especially for females due to their lower test. levels! weight training will never turn a lady into ronnie coleman or the likes overnight. i believe to be at that level, it takes many years of dedication.

i believe you should get your wife to actually start on some cardio AND weight trainng. we all know weight training uses up alot of energy, raising our metabolism! this makes it much easier to lose fat.

Lightweight Baby!
Old 07-04-2005, 10:16 AM
The Pebble should change his/her status!
Rookie

Presumably you workout Vision? Let her see how hard you work and how much muscle gain that results in when combined with optimal diet and your much greater testosterone concentrations, that should be enough to convince her that she's not going to turn into The Hulk.
Old 07-04-2005, 11:13 AM
nicoledominique should change his/her status!
Lightweight

[ QUOTE ]
Should she really be doing 40 to 60 min a day to start out?
What sort of heart rate should she aim for?

[/ QUOTE ] Well, everyone is different, I know that when I started cardio training (approx. 4-5 years ago) I had specific goals and knew that in order to reach them I had to put in that extra time. I started out walking on the treadmill for 60 minutes a session. I know this may seem like a lot for a beginner, but I truly believe that the only way a person will achieve the results they want is to put in that sort of extra effort. Of course, 20 minutes of walking is better than being sedentary, however, it won't really do much for changing the shape of ones body.

Make sure that she listens to her body. It's important that she determine what is best for herself. At first she may only want to walk for 30 minutes, this is fine. Just make sure that she's always trying to do more and striving to be better -- 15 minutes of slow walking isn't going to cut it -- if she's serious about getting in shape she'll recognize this.

She may get leg cramps and side stitches when she first starts out -- this can be very discouraging. Help her to understand that it's completely normal and as she gets more fit, they'll lessen and eventually stop. I also find that drinking water too close to my cardio sessions (and during) causes side cramping -- make sure that she drinks plenty of water an hour or so BEFORE working out, and re-hydrates afterwards.

As for heart rate - I don't really have much expertise here, but I found something that may be helpful to you and your wife: [ QUOTE ]
Your specific exercising heart rate range for exercise can be found by the following formula.

If you stay within this range you will be performing aerobic exercise and will reap optimal exercise benefits.

First, find your maximum heart rate. To find your maximum heart rate, subtract your age from 220.

220 - AGE = Maximum Heart Rate

Now that you have your maximum heart rate you can determine your intensity, duration, and frequency levels. The American College of Sports Medicine recommends a workout at 55% - 90% of maximal heart rate for 15 to 60 minutes, 3 to 5 days a week.

As you begin your exercise program, be encouraged. The lower ends of these recommendations are just recommendations - any amount of activity is a great start. Work your way to higher intensities as your comfort, confidence, and cardiovascular fitness improves.

Maximal Heart Rate x Percentage = Workout Intensity (beats/min)

197 x 0.60 (60%) = 118.2 beats/min

One last hint on maintaining cardiovascular fitness - monitor your heart rate while exercising. Check your pulse once and a while to see if you are within your heart rate range. If your heart rate is too high - slow down or decrease the resistance. If your heart rate is too low, gradually increase your speed and/or resistance.

[/ QUOTE ]http://www.cityofgainesville.org/organiz/citymgr/aservices/riskmgt/lifequest/exercise/beginners.shtml

I really hope this helps!!

http://pix2.hotornot.com/pics/HR/H8/...HUHZRNTMEP.jpgL.M.B - ripped. My idol.
Old 07-04-2005, 02:26 PM
Visionbuilder is Bulking
Bantamweight

[ QUOTE ]
Presumably you workout Vision? Let her see how hard you work and how much muscle gain that results in when combined with optimal diet and your much greater testosterone concentrations, that should be enough to convince her that she's not going to turn into The Hulk.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well you presume correctly, but thats just it. I train very hard and I think she's affraid that she'll become the ripped monsterous giant that I am. [img]/forum/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Ok, ok she's afraid of becomeing like me a little bigger than normal with a good imagination [img]/forum/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
Ok OK I guess she's afraid of becoming like me, [img]/forum/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] I think it's time for my medication. I hope Tom Cruise isn't looking.
Thanks tho for your input.
Vision

Old 07-04-2005, 07:15 PM
huskerwr38 should change his/her status!
Middleweight

[ QUOTE ]
She doesn't want bulk just shape.

[/ QUOTE ] I think it's funny when woman say this. I don't want to bulk up and look like a guy. Even if a woman did lift weights really hard and went on a bulk, I don't think they will develop muscles like a man. Woman are different than men. They produce different types of hormones and such, so they can't develop like a man no matter how much they lift weights. Now, some woman take steroids, which will make you look like a man.
BF%: 10%
Certification: NSCA CSCS

Hard work always pays off!!!
My photos
Old 07-04-2005, 07:30 PM
i3ighead should change his/her status!
Lightweight

I dont understand why women think that if they lift just a little weights they will turn into a muscle monsters. Guys work HARD in order to get little (me anyways). A woman that packs on muscle quickly should be happy. I dunno. Amazes me sometimes....
Old 07-05-2005, 02:48 PM
littleamazon is praying and loving in action, word, deed and thought by the Grace of God
National Champion

I agree with Nicole. I don't think any of us uses a trainer. Maybe you can take a look at the workout routine of the 13 week fat burning program, as well as the diet and take it from there.

Amazon

- St. Dominic Savio (1842-1857)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v9...n/Mercy50K.jpg
We must pray without tiring, for the salvation of mankind does not depend on material success, nor on sciences that cloud the intellect. Neither does it depend on arms and human industries, but on Jesus alone.

- St. Frances Xavier Cabrini (1850-1917)
Closed Thread