My Drug of Choice - ABCbodybuilding

Go Back   ABCbodybuilding > Iron, Metal, & Steel!! > Female Specific Athletic Forum

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 05-21-2005, 02:58 PM
Tuf should change his/her status!
Mr. Universe

Default My Drug of Choice

CAFFEINE! [img]/forum/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

lol

I was just curious as to how many of you women supplement with caffeine? I started several months ago and I think it is a fantastic aid. It can make working my least favorite body part to train into my best workout of the week, it can help me to comlete higher volume workouts than I otherwise would have, it can help me to push harder than usual, and it just makes me feel so happy! [img]/forum/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] Ha ha.

Do any of you ladies use it?
<font color="blue">We taped a lot of famous pictures on the locker-room door: Bobby Orr, Potvin, Beliveau, all holding the Stanley Cup. We'd stand back and look at them and envision ourselves doing it. I really believe if you visualize yourself doing something, you can make that image come true...I must have rehearsed it ten thousand times. And when it came true it was like an electric jolt went up my spine.</font>
-Wayne Gretzky

http://www.rhondariley.com/009/thumbs/005.jpg
"When prepping for a show, I look at my body as my grade and the training and diet as my homework. If I do my homework I will get a good grade."
-Rhonda Riley

<font color="009999">Click Here for ABC's Forum Rules</font>
<font color="purple">Click Here for ABC's Index of Bible Studies</font>
Old 05-21-2005, 05:08 PM
Leafy Green Vegetables is back to basics
Light-Heavyweight

Default Re: My Drug of Choice

I am not a lady, but before I got into trying to gain mass I was a runner and would have a cup of straight black coffee before races. While I did not perform any statistical analysis to see if it bettered my times, it sure felt like it did.

I am not sure how well this would apply to lifting for me though.
Old 05-22-2005, 12:19 AM
Adam Knowlden should change his/her status!
Olympia Contender

Well I'm not a woman but I supplement with caffeine. I think its an invaluable tool for prioritizing.
Old 05-22-2005, 01:36 PM
NJI is gaining weight!!
Hyperplasia Aggressor!!

[ QUOTE ]
It can make working my least favorite body part to train into my best workout of the week, it can help me to comlete higher volume workouts than I otherwise would have, it can help me to push harder than usual, and it just makes me feel so happy!

[/ QUOTE ]
This is because caffeine increases dopamine concentration in the synapse by inhibiting the process of adenosine. Dopamine is involved in reward and motivation in the brain. Basically increasing the salicity of the activity! [img]/forum/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

"When your vision is powerful enough, everything else falls into place: how you live your life, your workouts, what friends you choose to hang out with, how you eat, what you do for fun. Vision is purpose, and when your purpose is clear so are your life choices. Vision creates faith and faith creates willpower. With faith there is no anxiety, no doubt - just absolute confidence." - Arnold Schwarzenegger
Old 05-22-2005, 04:09 PM
TheMac should change his/her status!
Light-Heavyweight

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
It can make working my least favorite body part to train into my best workout of the week, it can help me to comlete higher volume workouts than I otherwise would have, it can help me to push harder than usual, and it just makes me feel so happy!

[/ QUOTE ]
This is because caffeine increases dopamine concentration in the synapse by inhibiting the process of adenosine. Dopamine is involved in reward and motivation in the brain. Basically increasing the salicity of the activity! [img]/forum/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
who did the what now? [img]/forum/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]...I only hope to be as knowledgable as you one day Nick [img]/forum/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...ikeEaglesa.jpg

"The truth I’ve discovered is that you don’t have to lift enormous weights to grow muscle. By using stricter form, slower negatives, and stretching between sets you can get an incredible pump in all your workouts. Numbers are an abstraction, especially to muscles. Your body doesn’t know the absolute weight of what you lift, it only recognizes how heavy it feels. The secret is to make lighter weights feel heavier. " - Frank Zane

"Sacrifice: To give up, destroy, renounce, and surrender your ego, excuses, bad habits, fears, and your couch - in the belief of an ideal or pursuit of a worthy goal."

"All thing are possible to him who believes." -Mark 9:23
Old 05-22-2005, 06:17 PM
X-Factor should change his/her status!
Super-Heavyweight

I can say that about so many people here it's ridiculous.

PS. How much caffeine is optimal to supplement with? And how?
Old 05-22-2005, 08:17 PM
NJI is gaining weight!!
Hyperplasia Aggressor!!

Caffeine isn't something you want to supplement with a regular basis. Using it sparingly is much more effective, limit yourself to 1-2 times/week( this includes caffeinated beverages etc ). The less you use caffeine the greater effect it has on your body( and the less you need to acheive the desired effect.

If you're only supplementing 1-2 times/week( if even that ) you could get away with 100 mg.

Many people use it during only one workout/week as a small boost. Check this article out:

http://www.abcbodybuilding.com/caffeine.htm

"When your vision is powerful enough, everything else falls into place: how you live your life, your workouts, what friends you choose to hang out with, how you eat, what you do for fun. Vision is purpose, and when your purpose is clear so are your life choices. Vision creates faith and faith creates willpower. With faith there is no anxiety, no doubt - just absolute confidence." - Arnold Schwarzenegger
Old 05-22-2005, 08:29 PM
Agent_89 should change his/her status!
Rookie

Not a female here ...but I thought I might just add my 2 cents.
I also use caffeine (coffee) - it does wonders for me.
A nice jolt of it pre-workout really boosts intensity.
Although sometimes I think I drink too much.

On a side note: The collective knowledge of the people on this site truly amazes me ! Nice work you guys ......& gals [img]/forum/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I'm off to read.. http://www.abcbodybuilding.com/caffeine.htm
Thanks for the link
Agent_89
Old 05-22-2005, 11:15 PM
Adam Knowlden should change his/her status!
Olympia Contender

Awesome breakdown Nick!!!
Old 05-23-2005, 06:03 AM
Blux should change his/her status!
Rookie

About the drugs ... don't do drugs.

caffeine is nto really an exception. i could go into this but i don't think detailed analysis is needed and NJI already stated the perctical apsect in the post here and theoretical in the article he refered to.

I'll add one thing not covered there (naturally, since it's not directly ... but is indirectly bbilding realted) ... impact on body rythem, sleep clock and body temperature levels. In short - it's bad. Longterm - it's havoc. (i know ppl who know ppl who know that YOU know ppl who "can't live" without coffe). insomnia is a symptom here.

I use it sometime. Perhaps 5x a year in dossage. Otherwise ... green tea (more often)... but it's not holy water. Neither is caffeine. Holy water is... well... water.
Closed Thread