eating, training, and menstruation - ABCbodybuilding

Go Back   ABCbodybuilding > Iron, Metal, & Steel!! > Female Specific Athletic Forum

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 05-25-2005, 06:47 PM
lots4waldy should change his/her status!
Middleweight

Default eating, training, and menstruation

I'm sure its not only me, but I get very severe menstrual systoms. I am fairly young, (16 years old) and am told it is due to my age. But this is besides the point...

I wanted to know what you ladies (or special gentlemen [img]/forum/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]) do when you get your period. Do you eat more food, excersize less or more, eat chocolate, avoid salt, etc. Usually I have to miss around 1 workout, or cut one short. I also binge in sheer attempts to just ease the pain.

Does anyone have any suggestions, comments, input?

(Now I know why there is a woman's forum [img]/forum/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img])
Old 05-26-2005, 10:14 AM
Tuf should change his/her status!
Mr. Universe

Default Re: eating, training, and menstruation

Honestly, I don't do anything different. I eat the same and train the same. [img]/forum/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

But I do realize that PMS symptoms exist on a continuum, and for some people they don’t significantly affect their daily lives, while for others they can severely impair normal functioning. So, here is what some of the research suggests:

There are a variety of drugs (Prozac, Xanax, NSAIDs, and others) that may be helpful for those with severe symptoms. Increased exercise and adoption of a healthful diet are sometimes sufficient for women with mild PMS symptoms. And there is also research on the use of dietary supplements as a means of reducing PMS symptoms.

Calcium supplementation has been shown to significantly reduce PMS symptoms such as negative affect, water retention, food cravings, and pain (described as aches and pains, low back pain, and abdominal cramping).
--Thys-Jacobs S, Starkey P, Bernstein D, Tian J.Calcium carbonate and the premenstrual syndrome: effects on premenstrual and menstrual symptoms. Premenstrual Syndrome Study Group. Am J Obstet Gynecol. 1998 Aug;179(2):444-52.

Based on the tolerable upper intake level for calcium and the mean daily intake of calcium among menstruating women ages 12-50 years as reported by a USDA survey, the addition of 1,000-1,200 mg/day of supplemental calcium to normal dietary intakes is suggested for women trying to decrease symptoms of PMS.
--Bendich A. The potential for dietary supplements to reduce premenstrual syndrome (PMS) symptoms. J Am Coll Nutr. 2000 Feb;19(1):3-12.

It has also been suggested that 200–400 mg/day of supplemental magnesium may be helpful in relieving PMS symptoms, but the evidence of efficacy is not as compelling as that for calcium. In addition, some individuals may experience a mild laxative effect at the higher dose range.
--Walker AF, De Souza MC, Vickers MF, Abeyasekera S, Collins ML, Trinca LA: Magnesium supplementation alleviates premenstrual symptoms of fluid retention. J Women’s Health 7: 1157–1165, 1998.
--Facchinetti F, Borella P, Sances G, Fioroni L, Nappi RE, Genazzani AR: Oral magnesium successfully relieves premenstrual mood changes. Obstet Gynecol 78: 177–181, 1991a.
--Facchinetti F, Sances G, Borella P, Genazzani AR, Nappi G: Magnesium prophylaxis of menstrual migraine: effects on intracellular magnesium. Headache 31: 298–301, 1991b.
--Bendich A. The potential for dietary supplements to reduce premenstrual syndrome (PMS) symptoms. J Am Coll Nutr. 2000 Feb;19(1):3-12.

Sometimes it is recommended that women suffering from PMS symptoms eat small, frequent meals high in carbohydrates in order to improve symptoms like tension and depression. Some studies have shown immediate relief of psychological and appetitive PMS symptoms may be provided by carbohydrate supplements (by increasing serum tryptophan levels, possibly leading to a serotonin-mediated mood improvement), but simple dietary changes can probably produce the same effect.
--Sayegh R, Schiff I, Wurtman J, Spiers P, McDermott J, Wurtman R: The effect of a carbohydrate-rich beverage on mood, appetite, and cognitive function in women with premenstrual syndrome. Obstet Gynecol 86: 520–528, 1995.

So, you may try supplementation if you don't already, and you can also eat carbohydrates to make serotonin (but chocolate and other snack foods are not necessary to do this; complex carbs will do the same thing without a rapid rise, followed by a rapid decline, in your blood glucose levels). Also, remember that exercise is a natural means of enhancing your mood and reducing stress. Finally, drinking plenty of water will help to flush your system out and can reduce bloating.
<font color="blue">We taped a lot of famous pictures on the locker-room door: Bobby Orr, Potvin, Beliveau, all holding the Stanley Cup. We'd stand back and look at them and envision ourselves doing it. I really believe if you visualize yourself doing something, you can make that image come true...I must have rehearsed it ten thousand times. And when it came true it was like an electric jolt went up my spine.</font>
-Wayne Gretzky

http://www.rhondariley.com/009/thumbs/005.jpg
"When prepping for a show, I look at my body as my grade and the training and diet as my homework. If I do my homework I will get a good grade."
-Rhonda Riley

<font color="009999">Click Here for ABC's Forum Rules</font>
<font color="purple">Click Here for ABC's Index of Bible Studies</font>
Old 05-26-2005, 10:43 AM
G.I. Jami should change his/her status!
Bantamweight

I am not currently menstruating as I am nursing, but I always found that cardio helped to ease my cramping. Good Luck!

<font color="purple"> Before pregnancy....
08/05/03: ht. 62.5in.......wt. 123.......BF 18.4%

39 wks pregnant
09/03/04: ht. 62.5in.......wt. 178.......BF MOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

34 wks post-partum
4/29/05: ht. 62.5in.......wt. 135.......BF 36% (still MOO)

13 months post-partum
10/2/05: ht. 62.5in.......wt. 125.......BF 32% (sigh)
</font>
Old 05-26-2005, 11:14 AM
littleamazon is praying and loving in action, word, deed and thought by the Grace of God
National Champion

I always make sure I take my calcium *chocolate chewables* I don't get cravings for chocolate as I used to..I might have one or two hershey's miniatures..On my training, I don't do anything different. I make sure though, that I get enough iron those days and other nutrients needed.

Once a a year, 3 years ago, I used to get terrible symptoms. Dizziness, nausea, throwing up for an hour, feeling terrible. I straightened out my diet and exercise and it hasn't happened anymore.

Amazon

- St. Dominic Savio (1842-1857)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v9...n/Mercy50K.jpg
We must pray without tiring, for the salvation of mankind does not depend on material success, nor on sciences that cloud the intellect. Neither does it depend on arms and human industries, but on Jesus alone.

- St. Frances Xavier Cabrini (1850-1917)
Old 05-26-2005, 01:21 PM
X-Factor should change his/her status!
Super-Heavyweight

My sister is the same way, she is out for the count. But her diet is horrible that may be why. [img]/forum/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] Anyways I can't say much besides good luck! I hope you don't mind a dude steppin in on your thread. [img]/forum/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img] Ask Am i'm like one of the girls anyways. [img]/forum/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 05-26-2005, 08:41 PM
Middleweight

Thank you for the information. About the carb thing, I eat anything in general to make me feel better and forget about the pain. I'm going to start taking calcium though.

Exercise sometimes helps me but sometimes I feel so bad that when I start, I have to stop. I also get really bad nausea. I have to always take a day off from school atleast once every 2 months.

And I don't mind that a dude would step in on my thread. Aside from my 2 best friends which I girls, all my other close friends are guys. And I'm so used to just telling them why I don't feel well. It never ceases to creep them out though. But they are used to getting creeped out.
Old 05-26-2005, 11:04 PM
Super-Heavyweight

[ QUOTE ]
Thank you for the information. About the carb thing, I eat anything in general to make me feel better and forget about the pain. I'm going to start taking calcium though.

Exercise sometimes helps me but sometimes I feel so bad that when I start, I have to stop. I also get really bad nausea. I have to always take a day off from school atleast once every 2 months.

And I don't mind that a dude would step in on my thread. Aside from my 2 best friends which I girls, all my other close friends are guys. And I'm so used to just telling them why I don't feel well. It never ceases to creep them out though. But they are used to getting creeped out.

[/ QUOTE ]

Does'nt phase me a bit sweetie! My sister too, takes days off school pretty regular. She is bed ridden. I know how bad it can be. My mom is lucky though she hit menopause. Haha. Good luck. Ain't it nice to have a high school guy who talks about this stuff? [img]/forum/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 05-27-2005, 02:28 PM
Middleweight

I wish my mom would hit menopause already...

It is...its also good that you know about this stuff. One of my good friends didn't know that a period lasted for more than 10 minutes. And I was like...what do you think all those products are for?!
Old 05-27-2005, 03:48 PM
Short n' Sweet should change his/her status!
Stranger

girls ya'll are lucky mine super bad- I have endometriosis. Which is the mother of all periods. You talk about cramps these make you bend over, knock the breath out of you - girl don't get me started. I pray that no one here gets it or has it.

As far as helping cramps try a heating pad. For energy, take iron you lose it when you bleed. There are numerous reasons to take calcium so take it - plain and simple but make sure it has vitamin D in so you can absorb it. To cover all the bases get on a good multi-vitamin.
Old 05-27-2005, 04:32 PM
Super-Heavyweight

[ QUOTE ]
girls ya'll are lucky mine super bad- I have endometriosis. Which is the mother of all periods. You talk about cramps these make you bend over, knock the breath out of you - girl don't get me started. I pray that no one here gets it or has it.

As far as helping cramps try a heating pad. For energy, take iron you lose it when you bleed. There are numerous reasons to take calcium so take it - plain and simple but make sure it has vitamin D in so you can absorb it. To cover all the bases get on a good multi-vitamin.

[/ QUOTE ]

Watch out for a multi-vit if you need the calcium, magnesium and calcium fight aggressivey for absorption and nearly never get absorbed. I suggest takin the calcium and multi/vit an hour apart if it has magnesium. And my mom used to lay in bed with 2 water bottles, one her stomach and one under her back. Try that. Good luck girl.
Closed Thread