Pregnancy Questions. - ABCbodybuilding

Go Back   ABCbodybuilding > Iron, Metal, & Steel!! > Female Specific Athletic Forum

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 05-20-2005, 10:29 AM
TM40 should change his/her status!

Default Pregnancy Questions.

Hello Everyone, I would like to start by saying that this is the best website I have found on bodybuilding and really appreciate everything on it.

My wife and I were recently blessed with the news of her being pregnant (two weeks along). Currently we both lift weights and exercise. Since every person I talk to says different I would like to ask your opinions. Now for the questions.

During pregnancy should you still lift weights? If so what are the rep ranges that you should do/avoid? Does this change with each trimester? What are your thoughts on abdominal exercises during pregnancy?

Also, should my wife avoid glutamine and creatine during the pregnancy?

Any other thoughts on this subject are greatly appreciated.
I tried searching the forums for this but to no ado.

Thank You for your replies.
Old 05-20-2005, 12:09 PM
littleamazon is praying and loving in action, word, deed and thought by the Grace of God
National Champion

Default Re: Pregnancy Questions.

[ QUOTE ]
During pregnancy should you still lift weights? If so what are the rep ranges that you should do/avoid? Does this change with each trimester? What are your thoughts on abdominal exercises during pregnancy?

[/ QUOTE ]

I trained up until my 8th month of pregnancy. Yes, I changed my training with each trimester as my body changed and there were physical changes. Towards the 6-8 month, it was more like maintenance training. I included exercises to aid of delivery also. My nutrition also revolved around what was needed on a weekly basis for fetal development..in terms of specific body parts developing and nutrition required..

I wasn't an abc member when I was pregnant. I wouldn't see any problem on taking glutamine, again my training was more maintenance towards the end.

I did abdominal exercises until it was allowable and safe and this is the approach I suggest you take with any exercise. In the end, I could just sit down and contract my abs..working on how the muscles would be used on delivery time.

I didn't increase weight lifted during my pregnancy. I went free weights on most exercises. Deadlifting will be limited, but you can still do walking lunges, leg extensions and standing leg curls. A lot of exercises can be modified.

For cardio, I was still running up until my 6th month. After that walking with inclines was my option as well as step aerobics. I used the nordi track too.

Again, your wife doesn't need to stop training but keep on listening to her body as to training and also take the right medical precautions in regards to her pregnancy. Talk to your doctor and follow up as her pregnancy progresses.

My two cents,

Amazon

- St. Dominic Savio (1842-1857)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v9...n/Mercy50K.jpg
We must pray without tiring, for the salvation of mankind does not depend on material success, nor on sciences that cloud the intellect. Neither does it depend on arms and human industries, but on Jesus alone.

- St. Frances Xavier Cabrini (1850-1917)
Old 05-20-2005, 02:05 PM

Thank You for your reply. I appreciate the advice.
Old 05-20-2005, 02:36 PM
BrothaMan325 should change his/her status!
Light-Heavyweight

lots of women keep lifting through pregnancy. although i wouldnt take the supps durring that time. thats just me, then agian im a dude, what do i know. the best thing would be to contact you local doctor and give him the breakdown. he would be able to better advise you on what to do.
Old 05-20-2005, 03:21 PM
TFairbank should change his/her status!
Rookie

First off congratulations. I would talk to the Dr and get their recommendations on strenuous activities. With that said, when my wife was pregnant the Dr told her to continue with what feels comfortable but don't overdo herself. Since she worked out she could continue with it (maintenance) which is exactly what LA said above.
Old 05-21-2005, 11:21 AM

Thanks for your replies.

"I would talk to the Dr and get their recommendations on strenuous activities." (T Fairbank)

That is in fact why I am here. We talked to the doc before I posted on this forum. When we asked her what physical activity is recommended when pregnant the reply was?

20-25 lbs.

That tells me exactly nothing, considering the exercise 20 lbs. can be either light or extremely heavy. So I next asked what rep range would she recommend, which was followed with more unhelpful information.

That was when I decided to pry your minds. I have found other information online but, the more the better.

Thanks again.