Advice for my grandmother... - ABCbodybuilding

Go Back   ABCbodybuilding > Iron, Metal, & Steel!! > Female Specific Athletic Forum

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 04-11-2005, 06:38 PM
Grim001 should change his/her status!
Lightweight

Default Advice for my grandmother...

My grandmother is a relatively healthy 62 year old woman. She is in good enough shape to do a decent amount of exercise for someone her age. She is interested in weight training, but due to her age I don't know how to advise her.

She's only 5'4'', 120lbs, with roughly 24% body fat. 24% is supposed to be a healthy amount for a 62 year old female. Do you think it would be wise for her to go on a cutting or bulking type plan with a caloric surplus or deficit, or should she maintain calories at a healthy amount and work on conditioning until she's in better shape?
Old 04-11-2005, 07:33 PM
mrExtreme should change his/her status!
Bantamweight

Default Re: Advice for my grandmother...

[ QUOTE ]
My grandmother is a relatively healthy 62 year old woman. She is in good enough shape to do a decent amount of exercise for someone her age. She is interested in weight training, but due to her age I don't know how to advise her.

She's only 5'4'', 120lbs, with roughly 24% body fat. 24% is supposed to be a healthy amount for a 62 year old female. Do you think it would be wise for her to go on a cutting or bulking type plan with a caloric surplus or deficit, or should she maintain calories at a healthy amount and work on conditioning until she's in better shape?

[/ QUOTE ]

Why does your grandmother want to workout? I doubt she wants to bulk, so I would say to maintain and then to cut, or just cut w/o maintaining.
Old 04-11-2005, 11:23 PM
X-Factor should change his/her status!
Super-Heavyweight

First of consult a physician, find out what she wants, and help her get there under professional supervision, doctor check ups should be regular, and any extreme weight fluxuations would be hard on her heart possibly so take it slow.
Old 04-12-2005, 07:00 AM
Mr BJ should change his/her status!
Bantamweight

First, have her consult her doctor...then start her on a light resistance program to see how she adapts.. make sure she eats clean and supplements with a good multi-vitamin and glutamine...she really should strictly define her goals..she can definitely improve strength and gain muscle as well as lose fat at her age with weight resistance and cardio.
Old 04-12-2005, 06:29 PM
Super-Heavyweight

I find the biggest problem with older folks, is breakin their eating habits, just try weening them to more than 5 meals a day, and that meat and potatoes with THICK gravy "is'nt" good for you...**** near impossible.
Old 04-13-2005, 11:19 AM
donaldj should change his/her status!
Rookie

"I find the biggest problem with older folks...."

Older folks!!!!! I'm 52. Sixty-two isn't looking all that bad to me. My dad is 78 and lifts weights/cardio at least 3x/week and he's a spring chicken compared to some.

Tell the young lady to go for it. After she gets the ok from her doctor have her set up a meeting with a certified trainer. A good trainer would help her with getting the right program together for her specific goals.
Old 04-13-2005, 01:25 PM
nothwang should change his/her status!
Lightweight

[ QUOTE ]
"I find the biggest problem with older folks...."

Older folks!!!!! I'm 52. Sixty-two isn't looking all that bad to me. My dad is 78 and lifts weights/cardio at least 3x/week and he's a spring chicken compared to some.

Tell the young lady to go for it. After she gets the ok from her doctor have her set up a meeting with a certified trainer. A good trainer would help her with getting the right program together for her specific goals.

[/ QUOTE ]

i have to agree on this one. your grandmother has a lot of options. i see alot of "older" people hitting the weights, treadmill and tennis ball court at the gym i go to.
Old 04-13-2005, 01:36 PM
nozzle should change his/her status!
National Champion

"Older" people SHOULD hit the weights! It will ward off all sorts of afflictions!!

Tell your grandmother to hit the gym and show those teenage boys up!
Old 04-13-2005, 04:51 PM
Crombie is the greatest supervillain the world has ever seen!
Heavyweight

Next thing you know you will be using the taunt in the gym, "COME ON!! MY GRANDMA SQUATS MORE THAN YOU!!!"
Old 04-15-2005, 04:00 PM
Super-Heavyweight

WHOA! I'm 18 aright, it's old to me [img]/forum/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]....I did'nt see she was 62, yea thats really not old, tell her to go for masters fitness [img]/forum/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Closed Thread