Originally Posted by sweetpea81 View Post
Wed. 3/18/2010

5x5 of Bench Press - 65#, 70#, 75#, 80#, 85#
I really want to hit 100# again!

Then:
10 rounds
100m
10 burpees

That made me feel like puking, but I know it burned some serious fat b/c I went nonstop and didn't catch my breathe for several minutes after I was done.

So, while I was doing the BP, this guy told me I'm doing them wrong. I need some help here?????? I was always taught to bring the bar to your chest and press up. He told me that I need to lower the bar to my sternum and then arch it backwards and up. He said the way I'm doing it puts too much pressure on my shoulders and impinges them. I'm always open for critique and help on form. I just usually do not trust randos - I try not to be judgmental, but he didn't look like he could lift very much weight either. He was tiny; but I do not want to discount his advice on that factor alone. HELP???

He also had me show him my push-up, and said I need to move slightly forward in that move too b/c I go straight down??
the bench its all down to feel if too high i feel it in shoulders for me i feel it best in chest when inline with well nipple line/just above diaphram.

Push up depends on elbow flare, if elbows are wide then straight down is only direction if elbows are close to body you'll move forward slightly anyway. again this one is down to what feels best.
Old 03-19-2010, 01:03 PM
tmkeehn is climbing that mountain
Lightweight

Chances are he was trying to impress you! There is a diff between bench and power bench, but its not that big, the main thing being the arch in the back to help the transfer of power from your lower body to your upper. Keep your wrist/elbows in line with each other. I'd recommend looking up Dave Tate on youtube and watching his bench technique. Funny,and very educational.

Pushup wise...there are about a million different variations to the push up. As long as you keep your back straight- you're working your core stabilizers. The closer your arms are, the more triceps, the further-more chest. Having your arms further down beneath your shoulders will actually help work more forearm, but puts more stress on the wrists, and moving your arms up (I say up but its more like forward when i the position) will use more shoulders. Each of these put your elbow in a different position and so they'll bend in different angles...So as you can see, there's tons of variations, and it all depends on what you want to hit. Just try to keep your head in a neutral position to keep your back in line.

On a side note: Most women tend to have a closer grip, emphasizing more tricep and therefore having the elbows come in a bit rather than straight out (Which is perfectly fine). Its because for most, their shoulders aren't as broad and chests aren't as strong. People tend to go with what feels natural, and for men that's a wider stance - women narrow.
Squat: PR 375

Last edited by tmkeehn; 03-19-2010 at 01:08 PM.
Old 03-19-2010, 01:57 PM
sweetpea81 is ready!
Middleweight

Quote:
the bench its all down to feel if too high i feel it in shoulders for me i feel it best in chest when inline with well nipple line/just above diaphram.

Push up depends on elbow flare, if elbows are wide then straight down is only direction if elbows are close to body you'll move forward slightly anyway. again this one is down to what feels best.
Than you very much for the info. I tend to have my elbows out far in the push-up. My bench is usually right no my chest, so I'll bring it down some and give it a try, but not as far down as the guy at the gym mentioned.

Quote:
Chances are he was trying to impress you! There is a diff between bench and power bench, but its not that big, the main thing being the arch in the back to help the transfer of power from your lower body to your upper. Keep your wrist/elbows in line with each other. I'd recommend looking up Dave Tate on youtube and watching his bench technique. Funny,and very educational.

Pushup wise...there are about a million different variations to the push up. As long as you keep your back straight- you're working your core stabilizers. The closer your arms are, the more triceps, the further-more chest. Having your arms further down beneath your shoulders will actually help work more forearm, but puts more stress on the wrists, and moving your arms up (I say up but its more like forward when i the position) will use more shoulders. Each of these put your elbow in a different position and so they'll bend in different angles...So as you can see, there's tons of variations, and it all depends on what you want to hit. Just try to keep your head in a neutral position to keep your back in line.

On a side note: Most women tend to have a closer grip, emphasizing more tricep and therefore having the elbows come in a bit rather than straight out (Which is perfectly fine). Its because for most, their shoulders aren't as broad and chests aren't as strong. People tend to go with what feels natural, and for men that's a wider stance - women narrow.
Thank you. I did not know there was a dif. between bench pressing and power benching. I will def. look up Dave Tate on YouTube. I try to do wide grip bench press and close grip (mix it up). I had just never heard of what he was talking about.

Thanks again for the help!!!

Thurs. 3/18/2010

15 minutes on bike

Front Squat 5x1 - 55, 65, 75, 85, 95
Not bad for my first time front squatting in 4 months! 95# wasn't heavy, which shocked me. That leaves me hopeful that I haven't lost too much strength.

400m Run
4 Rounds
10 Push Press - 65#
10 Hang Power Cleans - 65#
10 Back Squats - 65#
Finished with 400m run

My body is the temple of the Holy Spirit and I glorify God in it by walking in divine healing and divine health. - I Cor. 6:19
Old 03-22-2010, 01:48 PM
sweetpea81 is ready!
Middleweight

Fri. 3/19/2010

1 mile jog

It doesn't sound like much, but when you have a bad back, it's HUGE!

Sat. 3/20/2010
Leg Press 15/90#, 15/140#, 15/140#
ss w/calves 3x15/140#
Step Ups on Bench w/BB - 50#
3x12
Walking Lunges
3x12 w/15# DBs
Plie Squats
3x15 with 25# DB

Sun. 3/21/2010
2.75 mile walk

My body is the temple of the Holy Spirit and I glorify God in it by walking in divine healing and divine health. - I Cor. 6:19
Old 04-05-2010, 04:35 PM
sweetpea81 is ready!
Middleweight

Well I've neglected posting my workouts, which I may or may not eventually update. I've been doing good and going to PT for my back, which so far hasn't helped much, but I'm hopeful. I've done some shorter runs and they are relatively pain free as long as I don't go all out, and I've been using flat shoes w/out a built-up heel. I do think that has been a tremendous help and allowed me to run more naturally...possibly barefoot running in my future, but with five fingers shoes. http://www.vibramfivefingers.com/products/index.cfm My husband has threatened that he'll act like he doesn't know me if I wear these around him.

I even got in a CrossFit workout last week and didn't die! My back held up pretty good, I just dropped my normal load significantly.

All in all, life is good!