How do you use the Smith Machine? - ABCbodybuilding

Go Back   ABCbodybuilding > Iron, Metal, & Steel!! > Female Specific Athletic Forum

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 03-22-2005, 02:38 PM
littleamazon is praying and loving in action, word, deed and thought by the Grace of God
National Champion

Default How do you use the Smith Machine?

Just wondering how you use it for your workouts..one thing is for sure, I never thought of doing chin-ups with it!

http://www.gymware.com/weight_home_smith.html

Amazon

- St. Dominic Savio (1842-1857)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v9...n/Mercy50K.jpg
We must pray without tiring, for the salvation of mankind does not depend on material success, nor on sciences that cloud the intellect. Neither does it depend on arms and human industries, but on Jesus alone.

- St. Frances Xavier Cabrini (1850-1917)
Old 03-22-2005, 02:41 PM
Venom is training, researching, or talking on ABC
Vice President Abcbodybuilding.com

Default Re: How do you use the Smith Machine?

This is one of my favorite methods with it:

Hippocrates - Was He Hardcore?

Static Annihilation and Step Ladder Static Climbs

Static Annihilation is touted as having the ability to harden and striate the target muscle group. It allows the athlete to focus on the aspect which is most highlighted on stage - full flexation! As a review, this method calls for the trainee to lift a weight, and hold it in a singular position for a specified amount of time, normally at the most difficult aspect of a repetition.

Static Annihilation

The following is long and excruciating and you might prefer utilizing a smith machine for complete control.

1. Choose a weight that you can hold in a static position for approximately 20 seconds( you might even choose one that allows up to 30 as this calls for extreme volume )
2. Again, I prefer the smith, or a power rack, as Old School highly recommends( 23 ). Take the bench press as an illustration. You will unrack the weight, and pause at the top for a peak contraction for 10 straight seconds. When the ten seconds are up, re-rack the weight
3. Rest ten seconds
4. Repeat 10 second lift
5. Continue alternating between rest and lift until you have reached 40 repetitions!

I can guarantee growth like you have never seen. This is a method from yester yore, use it and prepare to explode! The main reason Old School athletes used it was muscular hardness, and posing control. Most do not realize how grueling and exhausting a posing routine is. One must over prepare for the event or run out of gas when it counts most!
Co-Editor. of JHR

Venom@abcbodybuilding.com
Bible Studies
Click Here to Support the Future of Bodybuilding!

Matthew 7:20
And Jesus said unto them, Because of your unbelief: for verily I say unto you, If ye have faith as a grain of mustard seed, ye shall say unto this mountain, Remove hence to yonder place; and it shall remove; and nothing shall be impossible unto you.
Old 03-22-2005, 02:54 PM
littleamazon is praying and loving in action, word, deed and thought by the Grace of God
National Champion

Oh Venom!!! Wow!

Amazon

- St. Dominic Savio (1842-1857)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v9...n/Mercy50K.jpg
We must pray without tiring, for the salvation of mankind does not depend on material success, nor on sciences that cloud the intellect. Neither does it depend on arms and human industries, but on Jesus alone.

- St. Frances Xavier Cabrini (1850-1917)
Old 03-22-2005, 07:50 PM
Fireproof should change his/her status!
Super-Heavyweight

That's a great one, Venom. Killer.

One of my favorites is behind-the-back shrugs. You can really get a deep stretch and peak contraction with super heavy weights. I did them today, as a matter of fact! [img]/forum/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 03-23-2005, 06:57 PM
Tuf should change his/her status!
Mr. Universe

I know that Nozzle loves to do smith machine squats...
<font color="blue">We taped a lot of famous pictures on the locker-room door: Bobby Orr, Potvin, Beliveau, all holding the Stanley Cup. We'd stand back and look at them and envision ourselves doing it. I really believe if you visualize yourself doing something, you can make that image come true...I must have rehearsed it ten thousand times. And when it came true it was like an electric jolt went up my spine.</font>
-Wayne Gretzky

http://www.rhondariley.com/009/thumbs/005.jpg
"When prepping for a show, I look at my body as my grade and the training and diet as my homework. If I do my homework I will get a good grade."
-Rhonda Riley

<font color="009999">Click Here for ABC's Forum Rules</font>
<font color="purple">Click Here for ABC's Index of Bible Studies</font>
Old 03-24-2005, 11:33 PM
Adam Knowlden should change his/her status!
Olympia Contender

I utilize the smith machine for calf raises. The regular machines do not give enough weight. I use a calf block and load up the bar and start repping out!!!!!! This also alows one to use a number of differnet calf blocks, instead of just the one on the machine.
Old 03-25-2005, 12:30 AM
NutMeg is sleepy
Mr. Universe

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Oooo, I bet she didn't see that

I use it for a lot of back exercises like rows and horizontal chins and sometimes the only way I can do a decline press. Have you tried calf raises or lunge with knee lift. I'm silly. I'm weirdly creative with the cable station too. Ended up with a good lump on my forehead once...
Old 03-25-2005, 09:46 AM
nozzle should change his/her status!
National Champion

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Oooo, I bet she didn't see that

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I didn't, until just now.

Tuf, [img]/forum/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img] ! How could you tarnish my good reputation by accusing me of Smith Machine squats?????? I'm shocked and appalled. If I had the power, I'd ban you!

[img]/forum/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] [img]/forum/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] [img]/forum/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 03-25-2005, 02:32 PM
NutMeg is sleepy
Mr. Universe

Nozzle loves smith-machine squats as much as Tuf loves being called a runner [img]/forum/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[img]/forum/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] Luv ya guys! [img]/forum/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 03-25-2005, 08:09 PM
Awesome should change his/her status!
Light-Heavyweight

Love the shrugs image. He's shrugging the same weight he was incline pressing, but what's great is the look of agony when shrugging the 50 or so pounds that is.

<font color="green">On this rock I will build my church, and the gates of Hades will not overcome it - Matthew 16:18</font>

My Cutting Journal!

[image]http://a579.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/52/m_f88d169fd15e9b0da2b1a0d3a880241a.jpg[/image
Closed Thread