Ladies! Help me be a girl! - ABCbodybuilding

Go Back   ABCbodybuilding > Iron, Metal, & Steel!! > Female Specific Athletic Forum

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 03-05-2005, 08:22 PM
Paige should change his/her status!

Default Ladies! Help me be a girl!

Alright, I've been sort of a tomboy growing up and all through high school up through now. My dad has always bugged me to be a girl 'cause he wanted one and I haven't done a darn thing to prove I am one apart from learning to cook and sew and make other things. I just got a new job a few months ago, and right now with what I'm doing I can get away with wearing workout clothes and putting my hair back, but soon they're going to move me to another lab and I'll have to look nice. And I'm graduating with my B.S. this semester and I'm trying to get a bunch of other things in my life together. So between all that I came to conclude, I'm beautiful anyway without being very feminine and in God's eyes (which what matters most to me) and that my personality is a really good thing and people like me, but if anyone that doesn't know me or I just meet is going to have to take me seriously, I should at least appear professional and give the impression that I got it altogether and I want to be taken seriously, you know? There are some other personal reasons, but that is the general gist of it.

I told my pops, and he went ape-dokey and gave me a fat budget to work with to buy clothes and make-up and hair junk and whatever else I need. My problem is, I know absolutely nothing about this side of the fence. I never wore make-up a day in my life and I usually just wash my hair and let it do whatever it wants. It's all pretty overwhelming and I honestly don't know where to start. I kinda feel like Drew Carey when Mimi left him for dead in China, if anyone has seen that episode.

So, can anyone give me some general guidelines, or recommend some basic books, or a good primer about this stuff? I looked around for websites but most of what I found assume you already know what you're doing, and they give tips to do something better. I have to be in a wedding in a couple of weeks, so I think the first thing I would like to tackle is make-up... but I walked into the make-up aisles of Wal-Mart and I was like.... O.o; Bodybuilding seems easier. LOL!

Thanks in advance girls. [img]/forum/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

And now, dear brothers and sisters, one final thing. Fix your thoughts on what is true, and honorable, and right, and pure, and lovely, and admirable. Think about things that are excellent and worthy of praise. Keep putting into practice all you learned and received from me --- everything you heard from me and saw me doing. Then the God of peace will be with you. - Philippians 4:8,9.
Old 03-06-2005, 11:51 AM
Serendipity should change his/her status!
Heavyweight

Default Re: Ladies! Help me be a girl!

I wish I could help, but I was sort of the same way. [img]/forum/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I've become more interested in femine things such as make-up, nice clothes and getting my nails done. I guess I go by what I see and like in magazines. Some of it's kind of trial and error. Unfortunately, my budget is severely limited right now so I haven't been able to play dress up as much as I would like.

Do you have any female friends who seem to have nice style and make-up? I would enlist the help of someone who can show you some good ideas and where to start.

I'm sure someone else will have better ideas. [img]/forum/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 03-06-2005, 01:42 PM

Thank you for the response, Serendipity. [img]/forum/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I don't have any female friends. I'm acquainted with some women at church. A couple of them know a little bit, but I never get a chance to talk to them for very long. They suggested something similar and told me a few things, like getting oil-free stuff since my skin is oily, and I should opt for things with a matte finish. Other than that to look in magazines too.

A lot of the magazines seem to be talking about what's in season, and I know a lot of this would be trial and error, but I don't really want to have to buy a million things. I don't care much about dooty-ing up each season with certain colours, I just want a general, all-purpose, simple look. Nothing really dramatic. My main problem is I'm not sure what colours and shades of things to pick, either 'cause I just don't know or I'll see a contradiction somewhere. Like, one magazine said to get a concealer a shade lighter than your skin because that can lighten problem areas, and another one said to get a concealer a shade darker because a lighter one would highlight dark circles and scars. [img]/forum/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

I have to workout midday on my lunch break... it's best to take make-up off when you work out to prevent breakouts, right? I don't have much time after my workouts to get ready to go back to work, and I don't want to have to put very much on in the mornings when I'm just going to take it off a few hours later. So I want to get a decent look with minimal stuff to put on. Some days I will have more time, but something fast and easy would probably be better. I'm looking around a bit to get an idea of what's out there. I've seen stuff like, foundation and powder together in one, loose powder, pressed powder, cream blush. I guess they'd all be used in different instances? I gather that something like cream blush or the foundation and powder together would be used when you're in a hurry?

And now, dear brothers and sisters, one final thing. Fix your thoughts on what is true, and honorable, and right, and pure, and lovely, and admirable. Think about things that are excellent and worthy of praise. Keep putting into practice all you learned and received from me --- everything you heard from me and saw me doing. Then the God of peace will be with you. - Philippians 4:8,9.
Old 03-06-2005, 06:59 PM
Tuf should change his/her status!
Mr. Universe

I was hoping others would respond because I'd like to keep my tough girl reputation, lol, but I will try to help you out. [img]/forum/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

As for foundation, my favorite is Bare Minerals by Bare Escentuals (you can get it at Sephora, from QVC, on ebay, etc.). I am not sure how dark your skin is, but you can look at a color chart if you order it online or have them match it to your skin if you have a store where you live. FYI: I use 2.0, and that is what I'd suggest if you are somewhat tan. If your skin is lighter, I would probably try 1.2 (the next lightest shade).

I usually do two-a-days, so like you, I don't have a lot of time before or after my first workout--and I'd rather be working out than primping anyway. [img]/forum/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] That foundation is made of minerals though, so you can leave it on while you train and it won't cause problems for your skin. It is also very quick to put on. At first I was skeptical because it is actually a powder that you brush on (with a big powder brush) rather than a liquid, but now I definitely prefer it to liquid (after using liquid for years). It looks and feels much lighter so you don't look like you have a bunch of crap on your face. [img]/forum/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

As for powder, I would recommend translucent (you don't need to worry about matching the color to your skin or your foundation) loose powder. It's purpose is just to set your foundation, and it also keeps your face from looking shiny from the foundation.

I am not sure, but I can't imagine that cream blush would work very well over a powder foundation (it seems to me like it would just be a big mess [img]/forum/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]), so if you do get bare minerals I would choose a powder blush. A light peachy pink would be a good choice (very natural looking).

As for concealer, do you need it? If not, don't worry about it. The foundation and powder will even out your skin tone.

What about mascara? My favorite is Almay one coat. It's not clumpy or flaky and it's easy to wash off.

In general I would just suggest not using too much of any of it. You don't want to be a cake face. [img]/forum/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

If you need to know how to put anything on or recommendations of specific products I can try to help. By the way, congrats on your new job and your graduation! That is awesome!
<font color="blue">We taped a lot of famous pictures on the locker-room door: Bobby Orr, Potvin, Beliveau, all holding the Stanley Cup. We'd stand back and look at them and envision ourselves doing it. I really believe if you visualize yourself doing something, you can make that image come true...I must have rehearsed it ten thousand times. And when it came true it was like an electric jolt went up my spine.</font>
-Wayne Gretzky

http://www.rhondariley.com/009/thumbs/005.jpg
"When prepping for a show, I look at my body as my grade and the training and diet as my homework. If I do my homework I will get a good grade."
-Rhonda Riley

<font color="009999">Click Here for ABC's Forum Rules</font>
<font color="purple">Click Here for ABC's Index of Bible Studies</font>
Old 03-07-2005, 02:08 AM

Wow Tuf, my whole paradigm of you has completely shifted. [img]/forum/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] [img]/forum/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Thanks Tuf. That is some awesome help. I truly appreciate it.

I was originally going to get Revlon 'cause I've heard good things about that one, it's reasonably priced, and doesn't test on animals. [img]/forum/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] BE doesn't test either (phew!) so I will definitely look into that foundation, that sounds like just what I need. Does it run dark? I'm kind of afraid of that. I'm like a walking white sheet. I'm serious! I'm that pale, lol. Do you know if there is much difference between the 1 and 1.2 shades? I'm looking around ebay now, but I will continue to shop around for other things too and hear what others have to say before I go and do anything dangerous like actually buying something and trying it [img]/forum/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] although I will keep this foundation at the top of my list. How would this hold up in hot and humid climates? I live where it's like a smoldering lava pit year-round. [img]/forum/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

Is there anything special loose powder does differently than pressed powder, other than the form it comes in? Just curious.

Ok, so cream blush on top of foundation won't work. Thanks for the tip. [img]/forum/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] Would that be something you use if you don't use foundation?

And how do you know how much of all of this to put on? Do you need it all over or just in certain areas?

I guess I could use concealer. My face doesn't break out anywhere as much as it used to, so acne isn't a huge issue unless the make-up clogs my pores. But I have dark circles under my eyes from long-term sleep deprivation. So unless the foundation can cover that up, I shouldn't need it.

I would like to use mascara. How do you know what shade to use (black black, black brown, etc.)? Is it supposed to match your eyebrow/hair colour (mine is dark brown)? And is eye shadow necessary, or would that make too much make-up? How does one go about selecting eyeshadow? My eyes are blue, if that matters.

I'll need help figuring out how to put all this on, but I'll wait 'til I get everything I need first. [img]/forum/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Again, thanks for the help Tuf. It means a lot. And thanks for the congrats about the job and gradjyatin'. [img]/forum/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Old 03-07-2005, 06:53 AM
soccerchick should change his/her status!
Olympia Contender

i say go to a makeup counter and ask them if they do free makeovers. they will try to get you to buy tons of their products, but they may give you some useful tips. if you don't want to do that, just experiment. its really the best way. you have no idea ow many tims i've bought foundation that was the wrong color.

check this out, it may give you a few answers. https://www.clinique.com pick your country and go to my skin report. answer a few questions and see what it says.

if you are wondering about hair, i say go to a salon for a cut and casually ask for different tips and techniques on how to style your hair. a good cut helps and they will tell you how to style.

clothes are easy... just go to a popular/trendy store and shop away. [img]/forum/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] pick out what you like. do you see clothes that other women are wearing that you like? look for that. some people who work in the stores know how to dress and can help you.

again, look in magazines for hair and clothes that you like and ask for something like that.
Old 03-07-2005, 07:39 AM
Tuf should change his/her status!
Mr. Universe

[ QUOTE ]
Wow Tuf, my whole paradigm of you has completely shifted. [img]/forum/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] [img]/forum/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
I know, I'm humiliated! [img]/forum/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img] [img]/forum/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks Tuf. That is some awesome help. I truly appreciate it.

[/ QUOTE ]
Any time. [img]/forum/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
I was originally going to get Revlon 'cause I've heard good things about that one, it's reasonably priced, and doesn't test on animals. [img]/forum/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] BE doesn't test either (phew!) so I will definitely look into that foundation, that sounds like just what I need.

[/ QUOTE ]
You'll find that BE is more expensive, but I think it is well worth it. It lasts a long time.

[ QUOTE ]
Does it run dark? I'm kind of afraid of that. I'm like a walking white sheet. I'm serious! I'm that pale, lol. Do you know if there is much difference between the 1 and 1.2 shades?

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes, there is a big difference. I was actually surprised that there is nothing in between. I know that the BE website and QVC show a color swatch, so you can check that out and see the difference. I can also PM you a pic of my face to show you my skin color if that would help you decide.

[ QUOTE ]
I'm looking around ebay now, but I will continue to shop around for other things too and hear what others have to say before I go and do anything dangerous like actually buying something and trying it [img]/forum/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] although I will keep this foundation at the top of my list. How would this hold up in hot and humid climates? I live where it's like a smoldering lava pit year-round. [img]/forum/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
My sister uses it too and she lived in a very hot climate--she is actually the one who told me about it. Also, Just a couple of weeks ago I was in the Florida Keys and it was just fine in the heat and humidity. [img]/forum/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
Is there anything special loose powder does differently than pressed powder, other than the form it comes in? Just curious.

[/ QUOTE ]
Personally I just think that loose powder is not so heavy/condensed and therefore more natural looking.

[ QUOTE ]
Ok, so cream blush on top of foundation won't work.

[/ QUOTE ]
On a powder foundation like BE, I don't think so, but like I said that is just my suspicion. On a liquid foundation it would probably be just fine as long as you put it on before your powder.

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks for the tip. [img]/forum/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] Would that be something you use if you don't use foundation?

[/ QUOTE ]
I think that would be the best use of a cream blush--just on bare skin.

[ QUOTE ]
And how do you know how much of all of this to put on? Do you need it all over or just in certain areas?

[/ QUOTE ]
If you use foundation and powder I would suggest using them all over (in moderation, of course [img]/forum/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]) because the point is to "even out" your skin. If you used it in some places and not others it would probably look very uneven and obvious. Blush, of course, you don't use all over, but I'm sure you know that. [img]/forum/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
I guess I could use concealer. My face doesn't break out anywhere as much as it used to, so acne isn't a huge issue unless the make-up clogs my pores. But I have dark circles under my eyes from long-term sleep deprivation. So unless the foundation can cover that up, I shouldn't need it.

[/ QUOTE ]
I would think that a shade lighter is best. Using a darker shade doesn't make much sense to me, but I don't usually use concealer. I know they also have some with green in it that is supposed to help neutralize redness (I think), but I'm not positive about that one.

[ QUOTE ]
I would like to use mascara. How do you know what shade to use (black black, black brown, etc.)? Is it supposed to match your eyebrow/hair colour (mine is dark brown)?

[/ QUOTE ]
Nope, it doesn't matter. If you are trying to be very subtle, then you can try to match it to your eyebrow or hair color. But plenty of blondes use black. I wouldn't suggest blue, but that's just me. [img]/forum/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] [img]/forum/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
And is eye shadow necessary, or would that make too much make-up?

[/ QUOTE ]
No, it isn't necessary. It's really up to you and how "made up" you want to look.

[ QUOTE ]
How does one go about selecting eyeshadow? My eyes are blue, if that matters.

[/ QUOTE ]
Lately pretty much any color works for anyone. You will see everything from neutral skin colors to metallic blues. Again, I think it comes down to how dramatic or how natural you want to look.

[ QUOTE ]
I'll need help figuring out how to put all this on, but I'll wait 'til I get everything I need first. [img]/forum/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
[img]/forum/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] Okay. I'll try to answer your questions and describe things for you, but I think Soccerchick's idea was great too--it would probably be most helpful if you had someone show you how to do it. And also like Soccerchick said, practice will help a lot.

[ QUOTE ]
Again, thanks for the help Tuf. It means a lot. And thanks for the congrats about the job and gradjyatin'. [img]/forum/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
You're very welcome. [img]/forum/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
<font color="blue">We taped a lot of famous pictures on the locker-room door: Bobby Orr, Potvin, Beliveau, all holding the Stanley Cup. We'd stand back and look at them and envision ourselves doing it. I really believe if you visualize yourself doing something, you can make that image come true...I must have rehearsed it ten thousand times. And when it came true it was like an electric jolt went up my spine.</font>
-Wayne Gretzky

http://www.rhondariley.com/009/thumbs/005.jpg
"When prepping for a show, I look at my body as my grade and the training and diet as my homework. If I do my homework I will get a good grade."
-Rhonda Riley

<font color="009999">Click Here for ABC's Forum Rules</font>
<font color="purple">Click Here for ABC's Index of Bible Studies</font>
Old 03-07-2005, 12:59 PM
CraZy-T! should change his/her status!
Middleweight

Well, I'm not a lady, but I had a similar problem too... fear of buying clothes. I never knew what to get, so I just never bothered and wore my 5 year old clothes forever.

I'm over that now... the biggest thing that helped me was window shopping. Set a few dates to go to the mall and JUST LOOK at clothing in some stores. Next, I made a couple of dates where I went and JUST TRIED ON different outfits, combinations. It pisses the sales people off a little bit, but WTF, how else will you learn what looks good on you? It took me a month or two, but I ended up with a pretty good nose for fashion.

Taking a guy with you could help too, we'll tell you if you're lookin' hot. [img]/forum/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Good luck!
<font color="red">Starting BF%:</font> 16.0%
<font color="red">Current BF%:</font> 14.6%

Link to my Hyperplasia Challenge Journal
Old 03-07-2005, 06:01 PM
littleamazon is praying and loving in action, word, deed and thought by the Grace of God
National Champion

Don't tell anyone I gave you this link...it could tarnish my reputation here at ABC..

http://beauty.ivillage.com/?arrivalS...ival_freqCap=2

Amazon

- St. Dominic Savio (1842-1857)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v9...n/Mercy50K.jpg
We must pray without tiring, for the salvation of mankind does not depend on material success, nor on sciences that cloud the intellect. Neither does it depend on arms and human industries, but on Jesus alone.

- St. Frances Xavier Cabrini (1850-1917)
Old 03-07-2005, 07:29 PM
**DONOTDELETE**
**DONOTDELETE** should change his/her status! Edit

Default Post deleted by .

Closed Thread