concerned boyfriend - ABCbodybuilding

Go Back   ABCbodybuilding > Iron, Metal, & Steel!! > Female Specific Athletic Forum

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 03-01-2005, 01:25 PM
nothwang should change his/her status!
Lightweight

Default concerned boyfriend

hello, everyone!

this question is for my girlfriend. she wants to lose some weight and i am helping her put together a diet and training plan. i think her trouble is consuming too many carbs and not enough protein. she eats very "healthy" foods just too many fruits, veggies and fibers at the wrong times. plus, i have seen her go an entire day without consuming any "real" protein if you know what i mean. together we took a look at her diet and cleaned it up a bit and i convinced to her supplement with whey. she is just starting out so she has a lot to think about and a ton of info to digest.

my trouble is putting together a workout routine for her. so far i cannot convince her of the benefits of lifting weights. she is very afraid of "bulking" up. so all she wants to do is cardio. she has been doing cardio twice a day. she swims for around 30 minutes during her lunch break and hits the treadmill for 45-60 minutes in the evening. she does this during the work week.

i have shown my girlfriend the general cutting guidlines and the 13 weeks diet and exercise program. like i said, she is just starting out so i am sure she is seeing results for now. my main concern is her diet. i want to make sure she is eating enough. i am sure she wasn't eating enough before and her body in "starvation mode" because she ate very healthy foods but they all got stored as fat. i think. now she is eating a little more but exercising too. so i don't know if i am even helping her or not [img]/forum/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img].

i don't know what else to say. i am just worried that she may be over doing it with the cardio and still not eating enough to keep her body out of "starvation mode".

help please!
Old 03-01-2005, 02:03 PM
Kyra1991 should change his/her status!
Middleweight

Default Re: concerned boyfriend

Check out this post. http://www.abcbodybuilding.com/forum...page=1#1038543

Nozzle explains why too much cardio is not the best way.
Old 03-01-2005, 02:08 PM
NutMeg is sleepy
Mr. Universe

tell her to look at her mommy, does her mommy have too much muscle? What about her daddy? Unless her genetics indicate, she's not gunna get manly by lifting weights

I think getitng her diet in check will help wonderfully. I know it does for me [img]/forum/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
Old 03-01-2005, 02:10 PM
Lightweight

thanks kyra i'll check it out!

thanks nutmeg, i have explained to her how she will not "bulk" up. she still doesn't want to lift weights for now.

i am wondering if we could put together diet and cardio only routine where she will continue to see results. any suggestions?
Old 03-01-2005, 04:40 PM
X-Factor should change his/her status!
Super-Heavyweight

As a 17 yr old with crazy T levels, I eat about 4-5k calories a day to try and gain lean mass, and my metab is not fast either I was never a skinny kid...well even with that I still don't look manly...haha....tell her that it will happen so slow that she will have more than ample time to adjust her calories to do what she wants...and stress that she has to lose fat not weight...chicks always forget this...and not to mention more muscle burns fat...
Old 03-01-2005, 04:54 PM
Lightweight

x, yeah i have explained all this to her.

there are so many misconceptions, lies and myths about about diet and exercise that need to be destroyed! i remember when i first started getting in shape a couple of years ago, i didn't know what to believe or who to listen to. i am so glad i stumble across this site by accident last year!
Old 03-01-2005, 05:51 PM
Super-Heavyweight

Well, re-explain or send her to this site...
Old 03-01-2005, 06:37 PM
Lightweight

i think she will eventually come around. like i said, i finally got her to start taking whey. there was no way around it, she really needed to start consuming more protein and lower her carb intake. most of the women know (no one here at ABC of course) think they can eat salad all day and do 300 reps with a 1lb dumbell to get into shape. it has been my experience that it is difficult to have women break this practice. just as difficult as it is to get men to work their legs!
Old 03-01-2005, 11:22 PM
Super-Heavyweight

I saw a girl at my gym doin squats and deads at my gym today...as well as pull downs...she had some really nice glutes too [img]/forum/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] I also felt like an idiot when she asked if she could work in a set of squats in the squat rack where I was deading....there's nowhere else to though!
Old 03-02-2005, 10:31 AM
Lightweight

yeah, there are a few women at my gym that are seriously into weight lifting. it's nice to see.