Cardio Equipment - ABCbodybuilding

Go Back   ABCbodybuilding > Iron, Metal, & Steel!! > Female Specific Athletic Forum

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 02-17-2005, 10:07 AM
KRob should change his/her status!
Stranger

Default Cardio Equipment

I am interested in buying an affordable piece of cardio equipment for my home so I can get my cardio in first thing in the morning (the gym opens too late). I am so overwhelmed by what is out there. The price ranges are so broad and I am not sure what justifies a higher price point. Do any of you have a piece of equipment that you recommend? I am leaning toward an elliptical machine (or possibly a treadmill but I doubt it).
Old 02-17-2005, 10:23 AM
kwood34 should change his/her status!
Middleweight

Default Re: Cardio Equipment

Elliptical machines are good. They are easier on the joints than the treadmill if you have problems with your knees or ankles.

Don't do your cardio first thing in the morning. That is muscle suicide. Have a lean protein source and a carb source, then wait an hour or an hour and half, then start your cardio.
Old 02-17-2005, 11:00 AM
littleamazon is praying and loving in action, word, deed and thought by the Grace of God
National Champion

[ QUOTE ]
Elliptical machines are good. They are easier on the joints than the treadmill if you have problems with your knees or ankles.

Don't do your cardio first thing in the morning. That is muscle suicide. Have a lean protein source and a carb source, then wait an hour or an hour and half, then start your cardio.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree on the eating and waiting an hour before cardio early in the morning.

I love treadmills so I guess that the cardio machine has to do with individual preferences and physical limitations of an individual (joint problems, etc.) I also have a standing punching bag and a Nordi Trac. What matters is that this piece of equipment is flexible enough so that you can vary your intensity on workouts through time to keep it challenging. Periodization, in my opinion, is a must if you want to progress on your workouts overtime, being physical strenght or endurance.

Amazon

- St. Dominic Savio (1842-1857)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v9...n/Mercy50K.jpg
We must pray without tiring, for the salvation of mankind does not depend on material success, nor on sciences that cloud the intellect. Neither does it depend on arms and human industries, but on Jesus alone.

- St. Frances Xavier Cabrini (1850-1917)
Old 02-17-2005, 11:03 AM
Stranger

You are right about the joint thing; I do have problems on occasion running so that is why I am leaning toward the elliptical. I'm looking for recommendations on a specific brand. And does it matter if I get a cheap one or will I be sorry? Any watch outs?
Old 02-17-2005, 12:20 PM
RNP should change his/her status!
Lightweight

[ QUOTE ]
I am interested in buying an affordable piece of cardio equipment for my home so I can get my cardio in first thing in the morning (the gym opens too late). I am so overwhelmed by what is out there. The price ranges are so broad and I am not sure what justifies a higher price point. Do any of you have a piece of equipment that you recommend? I am leaning toward an elliptical machine (or possibly a treadmill but I doubt it).

[/ QUOTE ]

I would personally choose the elliptical machine over the treadmill, because with the treadmill its closer to jogging outside than the elliptical machine is. I leave my jogging for outside, and would use the elliptical machine every other week to change up the cardio routine. Also, take a look at the Wavemaster boxing bags they have out nowadays...they are the ones that don't hang off ceilings...I always found that punching the bag got my heart racing pretty fast before a minute is even up (plus its fun, so you keep wanting to punch away at the bag, and its a great stress reliever too [img]/forum/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]).
Old 02-17-2005, 01:01 PM
Serendipity should change his/her status!
Heavyweight

Well, if you want to go really cheap you can always invest in a nice jump rope. [img]/forum/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Personally, I would go with a treadmill because I can't jog when it's so cold outside. I'd run the risk of slipping on some ice and breaking my leg.
Old 02-17-2005, 03:38 PM
NutMeg is sleepy
Mr. Universe

Hmm... you know I'm glad you asked this question...

My parents have like one of everything. I like the elliptical a lot more than the treadmill in general. But not at their house. he elliptical is so awkward that it's even more uncomfortabel than the treadmill which can bother my knees after too much. And knees are not my problem! An elliptical that is comfy might cost you mroe than you want to spend.

The treadmill is also very noisy and while they offered to let me take it to my apartment, I don't think my neighbors would appreciate it.

What exactly is your price range. Don't go by how much stuff is. Go by how much you are realistically looking to spend. Also think about how much you'll use it and how many other people might use it on a regular basis.

Don't rule out a home stairstepper or rower. There are oens out there with no elextronic equipment... just knobs that shouldn't break the bank.

Even an old nordic track may be an option...
Old 02-17-2005, 04:20 PM
MWC should change his/her status!
Rookie

Another option -- for the true cardio bunny! how about forgetting the equipment and purchasing some DVD/Videos?

Don't laugh - I'm serious! If you have room and really want variety, you could get several different tapes - kickboxing, step, floor aerobics, etc.

Just another option, that way you're not stuck with one thing. Good luck
Old 02-17-2005, 04:51 PM
Stranger

I was hoping to get an elliptical for in the $200 range. I've seen plenty of them but I was worried that the cheaper ones would be akward like NutMeg said. MWC- your idea about the videos is actually not a bad idea at all! I am just not sure I would be up for that first thing in the morning; too much concentration!
Old 02-17-2005, 05:22 PM
MWC should change his/her status!
Rookie

[ QUOTE ]
I was hoping to get an elliptical for in the $200 range. I've seen plenty of them but I was worried that the cheaper ones would be akward like NutMeg said. MWC- your idea about the videos is actually not a bad idea at all! I am just not sure I would be up for that first thing in the morning; too much concentration!

[/ QUOTE ]

I would worry about the $200 ellipticals also and I definitely wouldn't buy one without trying it first. I have a membership at 2 different gyms - one has the EFX-Precor elliptical which I love - the other has Technogym ellipticals and I can't use them at all, very frustrating. So I would definitely try before you buy and hey, you never know about the videos - I have several and will use them when I can't get to the gym. Like anything else, the first couple of times are the hardest, but once you get used to it you can crank out the cardio pretty well!

Good luck
Closed Thread