shoulder pain during fly's? - ABCbodybuilding

Go Back   ABCbodybuilding > Iron, Metal, & Steel!! > Hardcore Training

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 01-12-2005, 09:41 PM
fdsa should change his/her status!

Default shoulder pain during fly\'s?

almost every time that i do flys i feel pain in my left shoulder I think my fourm is pretty good I don't know what im doing wrong. dose anyone know what i might be doing wrong?
Old 01-12-2005, 09:52 PM
tom10 should change his/her status!
Light-Heavyweight

Default Re: shoulder pain during fly\'s?

no idea, not enough detail. check the exercise tab and check your form with that
Old 01-13-2005, 12:56 AM
Ultra Man should change his/her status!
Light-Heavyweight

i had alot of shoulder pain doing fly's then my shoulder dislocated. chances are your cartaligde and stabilizing muscles arent the strongest right now. are you in the middle of a growth spert right now? if so your growth plates may be open, causeing some weakness in the joint. if thats the case i recomend backing off the weight for a while. i belive the deltiods are a bit more oriented towards slow twitch fibers, so you should be ok doing less weight higher reps for a while. if your still confused you should speak with a doctor, chances are you'll be referred to an orthopedic surgeon (don't worry this doesn't mean you need surgery) and he can best diagnos your problems and he can give you the best advice.

http://www.bucketheadland.com/unmasked/playhse.jpg

Old 01-13-2005, 12:57 AM
Adam Knowlden should change his/her status!
Olympia Contender

This is most likely due to strain on the rotator cuff. Do not work through that pain. You will cause serious injury to the shoulder. Injuring a rotator cuff is a pain in the butt and takes forever to recover from.

Stop doing them for now. Work on increasing overall flexibiliy in the shoulder region and do specific strength training exercises for the rotator cuffs.
Old 01-13-2005, 01:02 AM
Ultra Man should change his/her status!
Light-Heavyweight

[ QUOTE ]
This is most likely due to strain on the rotator cuff. Do not work through that pain. You will cause serious injury to the shoulder. Injuring a rotator cuff is a pain in the butt and takes forever to recover from.

Stop doing them for now. Work on increasing overall flexibiliy in the shoulder region and do specific strength training exercises for the rotator cuffs.

[/ QUOTE ]

do you think any benefit could come from still doing the excercise but backing off on the weight until there is no pain. even if it means using a five pound plate in each hand, or the weight of the arm itself?

http://www.bucketheadland.com/unmasked/playhse.jpg

Old 01-13-2005, 09:36 AM
ExeeD should change his/her status!
Middleweight

no, you should never, under any circumstances should you work through the pain, becuase in the process of having to find out at what wheight it doesn't hurt anymore.. you will have caused even more damage than has already been done, you should try some RC excersises though, try to strengthen them, but having no substitute for fly's that's all you can do right now.
Old 01-13-2005, 10:12 AM
Joe Gillian should change his/her status!
Middleweight

Old school and Exeed have said it all !
Don't mess around with your shoulder my friend, that's a thing you could and would regret !
Just calm down, let it heal and start training again, always with a good warmup and with light weight for a start.
|Wed - Chest / Delts|
|Thu - Abs / Legs|
|Fri - Arms / Forearms|
|Sat - Run|
|Sun - Rest or Run|

My Journal
http://perso.wanadoo.fr/zu.deitos/BannerZub.gif<= Click here to see my Art]
Old 01-13-2005, 10:45 AM
Mr BJ should change his/her status!
Bantamweight

I found a good rotator cuff warm-up somewhere on this site just yesterday. I can't find it at the moment so I'll paraphrase:

Wrap a theraband around a pole. Standing sideways to the pole grab the end of the band in your hand with your upper arm at your side and your forearm across your waistline and parallel to the floor. Now simply raise your forearm to around the 2o'clock position and back down to your waistline with constant tension on the band.

I tried it last night and got a good burn fairly easy. I guess this told me that my rotator cuffs are in pretty pathetic condition!!!

My shoulders felt great this morning after last nights workout. I usually always experience some sort of aching or stiffness in this area. Maybe it will work for you too!

I guess I always assumed that if I warmed up my shoulders that my rc's were warmed up also. Probably not necessarily the case.
Old 01-15-2005, 11:56 AM
Adam Knowlden should change his/her status!
Olympia Contender

Another great shoulder warm up is to stand up against a wall. Press your upper back and arms tight up against wall.
Now do shoulder presses keeping your upper back and arms tight against the wall.
Old 01-15-2005, 03:25 PM
Tanuki is back!
Middleweight

My rule is that if actually hurts, and I'm not talking lactic acid here, don't do it. Shoulder injuries can really set you back so be careful.
Closed Thread