Chronicles of the Meatless Muscle Vol. 2 --- Syd's Journal - Page 3 - ABCbodybuilding

Go Back   ABCbodybuilding > Iron, Metal, & Steel!! > Online Training Journal

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 08-21-2004, 08:20 AM
soccerchick should change his/her status!
Olympia Contender

Default Re: Chronicles of the Meatless Muscle Vol. 2 --- Syd\'s Journal

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
hey Syd, what are Split Squats?

[/ QUOTE ]
They are similar to stationary lunges. But they are not a lunge as they involve no foot movement. Basically you stand with your feet shoulder-width apart and step forward with one foot, so your feet are staggered and you lower yourself in that position; don't let your knees bend past your toes, keep your back straight, head and chest up, etc.

Unlike the stationary lunge, you don't come back to where your feet are shoulder-width, which is why this isn't a lunge. Just get your feet in the staggered position and perform your reps that way. Really focus on pushing up with the heel of the lead leg like a squat. I like them because they are useful for balancing out strength imbalances in the legs and you get a good hip flexor and gentle quad stretch in the rear leg if you're doing it right.

You can make it harder and engage the core by raising your arms to raise your centre of gravity (even holding the weight above your head will make it much more difficult). You can also place your rear foot on a swiss ball or elevate it on a bench. The front foot can be put on an airex pad or those little poofy disc-whatchamacallits.

If you want to make the movement plyometric, you can use explosive power to jump as you are coming up whilst switching legs and land using the leg as shock absorbers (squat jumps in plyometrics). Or you can switch leg positions at the height of the jump; but the front leg goes forward and up like you're clearing a hurdle. And you land and repeat the jump (these are split legs in plyos). Scissor jumps in plyos are the same as split legs, but not so much in a running action as the split legs. You jump vertically as high as possible with the legs straight and you switch the legs like a scissor at the height of the jump. You can increase the explosiveness using arm swings, too. I'd be weary doing any plyos with leg injuries, though.

[/ QUOTE ]

great tips Syd! i have done those before, but i just called them a stationary lunge. OPPS! i know better now. [img]/forum/images/graemlins/ooo.gif[/img]

i did some one-legged split squats this week for the first time, they rocked. i had my back leg on a step with 3 risers. i loved it. once i get really good, i will try a swiss ball.

ooo, thanks for the plyo moves! i have a book here that i've been waiting a year to read. i'm waiting because i wanted to start plyos when my legs were healthy. i'm still waiting. [img]/forum/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img] [img]/forum/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img] do you do plyos on the same day as leg day? if so, before or after your weight workout?
Old 08-21-2004, 04:13 PM
Shrmtank should change his/her status!
Middleweight

Great workouts Syd...and like Soccerchick I called the "split squats" lunges also...never heard 'em called squats before...interesting and informative...I'm new to your journal, but I'll definitely be checkin' things out...love the variety and especially plyo's... [img]/forum/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] ...who said you can't teach an old dog new tricks... [img]/forum/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

Weight: 220 -- as of 8/23/09
Height: 5'9"
Old 08-22-2004, 02:07 PM
Syddles should change his/her status!
Super-Heavyweight

Hey Goldmill and Ron! How you guys been?

[ QUOTE ]
and go for a shoulder bag... my traps be humongous with my work bag filled with that kinda stuff that I lug around all over

[/ QUOTE ]

Haha, I got a messenger bag covered in button pins that seems to do the trick. [img]/forum/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] I don't like how it whacks into my butt whilst walking when I have DOMS though. [img]/forum/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
This is an awesome site with tons of good information and very helpful people. I am glad I found you folks!

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a great place to be! Don't be afraid to ask for help when you need assistance.

[ QUOTE ]
Syds, dude, what's the haps down there in the Southern portion of the big T? Just imagine if you were here now it is only 50 degrees...oooohhhhoooo...LMAO!! Got down to 40 something last night. Kinda chilly.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, the cool front is over now and like... it so wasn't cool. XD I just can't wait til the winter. It'll get down to 40 degrees, at least. [img]/forum/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
i did some one-legged split squats this week for the first time, they rocked. i had my back leg on a step with 3 risers. i loved it. once i get really good, i will try a swiss ball.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sweet! Lemme know how it goes!

[ QUOTE ]
i have a book here that i've been waiting a year to read. i'm waiting because i wanted to start plyos when my legs were healthy. i'm still waiting. do you do plyos on the same day as leg day? if so, before or after your weight workout?

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/forum/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] Yeah, you never want to do lower-body plyos when your legs aren't in tip-top shape. That's just asking for trouble. You can still do upper body plyos; things with medicine balls and certain types of push-ups. They're a blast! [img]/forum/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Ideally, plyos really need to be on a day by itself or at a time when you're at your freshest to get the most out of the workout, and no more than twice a week. At the moment, I'm doing my plyometrics the day I do hamstrings and lower back (but in separate workouts with eight hours and a nap in-between each). I used to do them on the days I did quads and qlutes; so to answer your question I do them on leg days, yeah. But when I rack my split in a way like it is now, I do them as a form of active recovery; I do not do anything very strenuous (like depth jumps and box jumps) but I still make a point to utilize progressive overload and train for power. When I change up my split for my bulk, I'm going to put plyos on their own day.

Sometimes I will do plyos before a leg workout; but nothing strenuous because it's counter-productive to do something very intense before another intense workout; especially when both workouts are serving two different purposes. I use FAR less intensity and volume if I'm doing them beforehand compared to when I'd do them for AR. I'll just include it as a small portion of my warm-up. I won't do very many reps and I'll only stick to in-place and certain linear movements. I'll do some plyos for my chest and/or back day warm-ups too; this week I did a few sets of medicine ball passes for a part of my chest warm-up, but again, nothing strenuous. The warm-up should get your heart rate up, but never fatigue you before the workout.

You really shouldn't do a full-blown plyo session before a weight workout. Same thing goes for doing them after a leg workout. I prefer to treat them like a cardio session, but I'm not an expert on the subject; most of what I know about plyos are from books, class, and experience. Plyos are extremely taxing on the body and can bleed your ATP pools and glycogen stores dry. Plyometrics affect both local muscle and CNS function, and CNS fatigue will inhibit your ability to send powerful signals to muscles. When you're fatigued, you won't be able to maintain proper technique and that'll prohibit you from getting max gains. For the same reasons, you should stop doing a plyo session when you are moderately fatigued. Not only will your potential max gains come to a halt there, but you'll minimize risk of injury. So err on the side of undertraining rather than overtraining when you do plyos. Also, practice makes permanent. If you do dumbell flyes with improper form, your body will remember how you do it and you'll always do flyes improperly until you can conciuosly do it properly otherwise. If you are a runner and train slow, you'll be slow. By the same token, if you train for power or hypertrophy when you are fatigued, you will be less powerful/strong and get less from the training.

I like to include some plyo movements as a part of my leg workouts sometimes, but not a whole lot of them and not necessarily every workout since hypertrophy is my goal as a bodybuilder. Plyos won't deliver size, but they're excellent for bridging the gaps between speed and strength (seeing as you're a soccer player, you'd benefit from doing plyos, but not with the condition your legs are in now). A GREAT superset is those scissor jumps or the split leg jumps with barbell squats or leg press. You can also do squat jumps, where basically you squat down and jump and land in a squat position and repeat. Those are killer with walking lunges. You really need to be careful on squat jumps though, or any jumps for that matter; the decceleration/landing portion is where you're at greatest risk of injury (mainly ACL or hamstring injury for women) 'cause you're having to use your legs as stabilizers.

[ QUOTE ]
Great workouts Syd...and like Soccerchick I called the "split squats" lunges also...never heard 'em called squats before...interesting and informative...I'm new to your journal, but I'll definitely be checkin' things out...love the variety and especially plyo's... ...who said you can't teach an old dog new tricks...

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks Sherman. And thanks for stopping by. ^_^
Old 08-22-2004, 02:09 PM
Super-Heavyweight

Thursday 19 August 2004

<font color="green">Monday: Rest
Tuesday: Glutes, Quads, Medial and Lateral Calves (a.m.)
Wednesday: Chest (a.m.) / Sprinting (p.m.)
Thursday: Upper Back, Postural &amp; Frontal Calves (a.m.) / Cardio (p.m.)
Friday: Shoulders, Traps, Neck (a.m.) / Cardio (p.m.)
Saturday: Biceps, Triceps, Forearms (a.m.) / Cardio, Abs (p.m.)
Sunday: Lower Back, Hamstrings, Soleus (a.m.) / Low-Volume/Intensity Plyometrics AR (p.m.)</font>

<font color="red">MORNING WORKOUT:</font>

<font color="blue">Music Trained To: The Birthday Massacre - Nothing and Nowhere</font>

<font color="purple">Warm-Up:</font>
7 minutes on treadmill
- 2 minute walk
- 2 minute brisk walk, light-medium intensity
5 minutes dynamic stretching

Austrian Blitz

<font color="purple">Wide-Grip Pullups</font>
BWx9
BWx10
BWx5
BWx9
BWx7
BWx6
BWx8
BWx6
BWx6
BWx8
BWx7
BWx5
BWx6
BWx4
BWx8
BWx6
BWx4
BWx2
BWx5
BWx3
BWx5
BWx5
BWx6
BWx3
BWx3
BWx2
BWx1
BWx1
BWx.5 (I gotta give myself some credit here [img]/forum/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img])

<font color="purple">Wide-Grip Assisted Pullups*</font>
<font color="blue">*band colour is the assistance</font>
bluex8
bluex9
bluex4
greenx8
greenx7
greenx6
bluex2
blackx5

Total Reps: 201 (150 unassisted)

<font color="purple">Deep fascia stretch for back.</font>

<font color="purple">Reverse Calf-Raises</font> SS <font color="purple">Calf Raises on Block*</font>
<font color="blue">*contractions held 4 seconds</font>
5 sets to failure using BW

<font color="purple">Unilateral Plantarflexion w/ band</font> SS <font color="purple">Unilateral Dorsiflexion w/ band</font>
2 sets to failure per leg - violet band for first set, green band for second

<font color="purple">Deep fascia stretching and massage for calves.</font>

<font color="orange">Static stretching for 5 minutes.</font>

<font color="orange">Drop dead in bean bag chairs, 5 minutes.</font>

<font color="red">MID-AFTERNOON WORKOUT:</font>

<font color="purple">DDR w/ Drew</font>
35 mins [img]/forum/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 08-22-2004, 02:11 PM
Super-Heavyweight

Friday 20 August 2004

Sunday: Lower Back, Hamstrings, Soleus (a.m.) / Low-Volume/Intensity Plyometrics AR (p.m.)</font>

<font color="blue">Music Trained To: Ladytron - Light and Magic</font>

5 minutes on treadmill
- 2 minute walk
- 3 minute brisk walk, light-medium intensity
rotator cuff warm-ups
DB Press warm-up sets
- 10x10
- 12x10

<font color="blue">*Rest period was 1 minute. Rep scheme was 1-2-2.</font>

<font color="purple">DB Press</font>
25x15
30x12
35x10
violet+10x6 : <font color="green">5-second rest-pause</font> +2
35x8 : <font color="green">5-second rest-pause</font> +2
45x4

<font color="purple">Reverse Flyes</font>
greenx15
bluex12
bluex10
greenx15

<font color="purple">Kneeling on SB Bilateral Lateral Raises</font>
8x20
10x15
5x25
8x20

<font color="purple">Neutral Grip Bilateral Front DB Raises</font>
10x20
12x15
15x12
20x8

<font color="purple">Deep fascia strech and massage for shoulders.</font>

<font color="purple">Up and Down the Rack Shrugs*</font>
<font color="blue">*Rep scheme of 1-1.5-1. Cheats emphasized eccentric for 2 seconds.</font>
5x25 <font color="green">(ascend)</font> 10x20 <font color="green">(ascend)</font> 15x15 <font color="green">(ascend)</font> 20x10 <font color="green">(ascend)</font> 30x10 <font color="green">(ascend)</font> 40x10 <font color="green">(ascend)</font> 50x8 <font color="green">(ascend)</font> 30+greenx6 <font color="green">(ascend)</font> 40xgreenx2 <font color="green">(descend)</font> 30+greenx4 <font color="red">+3 cheats</font> <font color="green">(descend)</font> 50x6 <font color="green">(descend)</font> 40x8 <font color="red">+4 cheats</font> <font color="green">(descend)</font> 30x10 <font color="green">(descend)</font> 20x10 <font color="green">(descend)</font> 15x10 <font color="green">(descend)</font> 10x10 <font color="red">+5 cheats</font> <font color="green">(descend)</font> 5x15 <font color="red">+5 cheats</font>
5x25 <font color="green">(ascend)</font> 10x20 <font color="green">(ascend)</font> 15x15 <font color="green">(ascend)</font> 20x10 <font color="green">(ascend)</font> 30x10 <font color="green">(ascend)</font> 40x10 <font color="green">(ascend)</font> 50x7 <font color="green">(ascend)</font> 30+greenx6 <font color="green">(ascend)</font> 40+greenx1 <font color="green">(descend)</font> 30+greenx4 <font color="red">+2 cheats</font> <font color="green">(descend)</font> 50x5 <font color="green">(descend)</font> 40x8 <font color="green">(descend)</font> 30x8 <font color="red">+2 cheats</font> <font color="green">(descend)</font> 20x10 <font color="green">(descend)</font> 15x12 <font color="green">(descend)</font> 10x15 <font color="red">+5 cheats</font> <font color="green">(descend)</font> 5x15 <font color="red">+5 cheats</font>

<font color="purple">Deep fascia stretch and massage for traps.</font>

<font color="orange">5 minutes static stretching.</font>

<font color="red">EVENING WORKOUT</font>

<font color="purple">Warm-up:</font>
3 minute light jog
1 minute jumping jacks
various types of skips, ~100 yards

<font color="purple">Jogging:</font>
Outside for 35 mins; 60-70% of MHR
5 minute cool-down walk, from moderate to light pace

<font color="orange">13 minutes stretching</font>
Old 08-22-2004, 02:19 PM
Super-Heavyweight

Saturday 21 August 2004

<font color="blue">Music Trained To: Massive Attack - Mezzanine</font>

5 minutes on treadmill
- 2 minute walk
- 3 minute brisk walk, light-medium intensity
3 minutes dynamic stretching

<font color="blue">*Rest period was 1 minute. Rep scheme was 1-3-2.</font>

<font color="purple">French Press</font>
25x10 (warm-up)
30x15
35x12
45x8
green+10x10

<font color="purple">Unilateral Skull Crushers on SB*</font>
<font color="blue">*1 second negative for these.</font>
8x10
10x8
8x12
5x20

<font color="purple">Reverse Tricep Pulldowns</font>
redx15
greenx12
bluex12
violetx8
redx8 (unilateral)

<font color="purple">Nasser Extensions</font>
bluex15
violetx12
greyx8
blackx6

<font color="purple">Deep fascia strech and massage for triceps.</font>

<font color="purple">Overhead Curls</font>
<font color="blue">*Rep scheme of 1-5-1. I used one band for each arm, so that doubled the resistance on that band compared to if I had both hands to one band.</font>
yellowx15
redx10
greenx8

<font color="purple">Unilateral DB Curls</font>
25x8
20x10
20x8

<font color="purple">Unilateral Preacher CUrls*</font>
<font color="blue">*Rep scheme of 1-1-1.</font>
15x15
25x12
30x8

<font color="purple">Deep fascia stretch and massage for biceps.</font>

<font color="purple">DB Wrist Curl 100-Rep Method</font> SS <font color="purple">Reverse DB Wrist Curl 100-Rep Method</font>
10x100 (including RPs) / 5x100 (including RPs)

<font color="purple">Deep fascia stretch and massage for forearms.</font>

<font color="orange">5 minutes stretching.</font>

<font color="red">EVENING WORKOUT</font>

<font color="purple">Warm-up:</font>
5 minute brisk walk on treadmill
dynamic stretching, 7 minutes

<font color="purple">Jogging:</font>
40 minutes on treadmill, 5.5mph, 3.0 incline, 60% of MHR

<font color="purple">SB Crunches</font>
<font color="blue">*2 second peak contraction</font>
x50
x60
x50

<font color="purple">SB Reverse Crunches</font>
<font color="blue">*2 second peak contraction</font>
x15
x12
x14

<font color="orange">10 minutes stretching</font>

Notes:

Having backlogged three workouts, I hope I didn't get anything mixed up. XD

For Thursday: I don't have anything in the house to do dips (that is stable enough) and I didn't want to be left out of the blitz fun, so I did one for pullups instead. Take that dip people! [img]/forum/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] The momster called me a "she-man" when I came back in the house from my workout. I am not sure how to process that, especially since it came from my own muddah. [img]/forum/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] But whatever.

As for the blitz itself, it r0x0rd. It fried my lats, sure, but summer Houston weather delivered the finishing toasting touch. Normally I can wear long-sleeves and pants outside in 90+ degree weather with 80%+ humidity and not get phased, but when you're doing a workout in that weather it's a whole new ballgame (no, I didnt' wear long sleeves and all, I'm not that dumb [img]/forum/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]). What REALLY kicked apples was that we have these big elephant and banana trees in our backyard that quite literally take over the whole place (and provided a decent amount of shade, so it toned down the heat a smidgen). Coupled with the heat, birds chirping, and my neighbour's fountain sounding like a waterfall, that made for an uber setting. Then near the end of it, since Houston is THE home of screwy weather, it began to rain. The whole time I imagined like I was climbing crap in a jungle and being an amazonness and whatnot. And it just kicked butt. [img]/forum/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

The shoulder workout stunk; the intensity was there but I couldn't really get into the zone. Or I did, but something was missing. I dunno, I can't really put my finger on it. It felt like, I could've gone heavier on some of the weights for this workout, or pumped out more reps or slowed down the rep speed in some of my sets and stuff. And I didn't where looking back I felt I could've, even though I couldn't despite trying, and I feel guilty, even though I'm stronger than last time. And I think that's what it is. Eh. But the trap workout was great (I'm on the eight week in the eight weeks to bigger traps programme). My traps have grown a lot since April when I began to prioritize them more. I'm glad about that.

So to make up for the shoulder workout per se I made sure the arm one was especially intense. I don't really have much to comment about on that workout. It was just intense. [img]/forum/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] Especially the 100 rep method superset. I couldn't hold anything by the time I finished or else my hands would just shake from the pain. I had to have my mom help me with my shake and I drank it with a straw until I got the feeling in my arms back. [img]/forum/images/graemlins/ooo.gif[/img]

I've been pondering what the heck my favourite bodypart to train is. It always used to be arms; but now I'm thinking it might be chest or back or legs... the three muscle groupes I've always hated the most. [img]/forum/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] Go fig.

I think I am gonna sacrifice my new games next month and buy some creatine. I noticed a HUGE jump in my strength when I started supplementing with arginine and methionine several months ago and moreso with my stack, so I guess my body is manufacturing more of its own creatine so I'll be more apt to respond to creatine supplementation now. Last time I used creatine was for a month back in July 2003 soon after I started bodybuilding, and it didn't do anything for me. So we'll see what happens if I get any this time.

School starts TOMORROW! I'm so excited! [img]/forum/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 08-22-2004, 07:16 PM
LegendaryWatcher should change his/her status!
Olympia Contender

[ QUOTE ]
<font color="blue">Music Trained To: Massive Attack - Mezzanine</font>

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/forum/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/forum/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
I think I am gonna sacrifice my new games next month and buy some creatine. I noticed a HUGE jump in my strength when I started supplementing with arginine and methionine several months ago and moreso with my stack, so I guess my body is manufacturing more of its own creatine so I'll be more apt to respond to creatine supplementation now.

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="blue"> [img]/forum/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]WooHoooo, supplements [img]/forum/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Syds, sacrificing games.... [img]/forum/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img] That's amazing! This must be like for real serious. I must ask though, what exactly is methionine? I am glad to hear your strength is shooting through the roof. That is frieken way awesome. I hope the creatine works for you. Are you going to go with somethin like....huh huh (*snickers*) Swole [img]/forum/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] </font>

[ QUOTE ]
School starts TOMORROW! I'm so excited! [img]/forum/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="blue">How exciting, well sort of. Have fun and enjoy your new classes. Drive safe and tell us how it turns out. School, that means college gym again huh..yeah! </font>
Old 08-22-2004, 07:26 PM
WatchTheHands should change his/her status!
Light-Heavyweight

AWESOME blitz you did there, girlie. I'm really very impressed. [img]/forum/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] One-upped all the dip people in my book. [img]/forum/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

And hey, everybody knows Massive Attack (I think). Now Ladytron and The Birthday Massacre... [img]/forum/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] that's alien to a metal man like me.

http://www.wtep.org/WTEPdata/Images/...0.01.18.46.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...anandron98.jpg
Ron Thal (Cartman shirt, needs a shower) and myself (flannel, needs a shower AND a haircut) in Nice, France; 1998 tour.
Old 08-23-2004, 07:32 PM
soccerchick should change his/her status!
Olympia Contender

OMG, thanks for the great plyo info Syd! i have to read that again too! [img]/forum/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] i will make sure i wait until my legs are healthier. the main reason i want to incorporate them is to help with soccer. my injuries in the last year are catching up with my performance. i need a kick start.
Old 08-26-2004, 04:56 AM
LegendaryWatcher should change his/her status!
Olympia Contender

Hey there Syds buddy ol' pal. I hope you are having a wonderful first week back to class with your overload of classes. You gotsta let us know the haps down there for those of us up here...."Hey, can you see me up here Swole?"

Just checking.

I hope your workouts have been awesome this week too. Have you been taking advantage of the college's gym?
Closed Thread