Chronicles of the Meatless Muscle Vol. 2 --- Syd's Journal - ABCbodybuilding

Go Back   ABCbodybuilding > Iron, Metal, & Steel!! > Online Training Journal

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 08-16-2004, 03:04 AM
Syddles should change his/her status!
Super-Heavyweight

Default Chronicles of the Meatless Muscle Vol. 2 --- Syd\'s Journal

d00d man Thursday my Sega Genesis... died. Like, it died. You know, after nearly 12 years it just... died. 'Cause a stupid quarter fell on it and I guess everything inside the console was too fragile for its own good. So, I'm starting this new journal in loving memory of Georgia (yes I name my consoles) whose uberness will quickly be replaced. Ebay is my friend.

Now onto more pressing matters...

A'ight kiddies, play time is over. I'm getting back into this here journaling shindig. I'll also be without a gym until the new building at school is complete (that's where the gym is going) so I've been having to do stuff here at home using the swiss ball and mixing and matching resistance tubing with DBs and what have you. And it's kicking my butt.

I've been cutting for the last eight weeks. I was carb cycling for the first three or so but I didn't like it that much. During that time, I didn't really have a split per se and just worked out my body parts depending on the day and how the energy levels fared. I always had quads and hamstrings on separate high carb days, as well as chest and back on separate high carb days. Other than that, anything else was fair game. Some high carb days I worked out twice, but different body parts. I grew to like that though. It keept my muscles guessing and it gave me a general idea of how fast some of my muscles recover. And I've gained a little LBM, so that's a good thing in itself. But I went back to an actual split this last week:

Monday: Rest
Tuesday: Glutes, Quads, Medial and Lateral Calves (a.m.)
Wednesday: Chest (a.m.) / Cardio (p.m.)
Thursday: Upper Back, Postural & Frontal Calves (a.m.) / Sprinting (p.m.)
Friday: Shoulders, Traps, Neck (a.m.) / Cardio (p.m.)
Saturday: Biceps, Triceps, Forearms (a.m.) / Cardio, Abs (p.m.)
Sunday: Lower Back, Hamstrings, Soleus (a.m.) / Low-Volume/Intensity Plyometrics AR (p.m.)

I'm still doing low-volume/intensity plyometrics for a form of active recovery. I've worked yoga back into my flexibility routine finally. I do yoga an hour daily; thirty minutes in the morning and thirty minutes at night followed by ten minutes of meditation before bed. Other than that my stretching routine remains the same (dynamic stretching as part of my warm-ups, static stretching PWO, and static stretching mid-day). I've also been getting massages weekly, and between this, deep fascia massage, and the stretching, I've found I recover a lot faster. ph33r.

I'm not carb cycling anymore. After going on several cutting diets, some with lots of success and others with no success, everything has been pretty much trial and error being a vegetarian and I FINALLY found something that works. I've switched back to a protocol similar to when I was vegan last summer when I got down to 13-15% or so; it's similar to the 13-Weeks diet, but slightly higher in carbs... more like between moderate and high, if not high. Cutting (specifically carb cycling) as a vegetarian is HARD 'cause you're not food combining and instead having to rely almost exclusively on supplements to get all those aminos. My PCF ratios now are 30/55/15 or so, mostly 'cause I'm again getting my protein from rice, beans, grains, nuts, and the tiny bit in certain fruits in addition to dairy products and eggs.

I'm not under any time constraints either, so I'm just gonna go until I hit about 10%, which should be within the next five weeks. Regardless, at that point I'll begin a slow, clean bulk. Doings things this way will make the transition from cut to bulk simpler for me (or it has in the past, anyway). I'd like to have 130 lbs of FFM as a short-term goal. My long-term goal is still 140 lbs FFM. But anyway, right now I don't have a huge calorie deficit (only about 250 calories below maintenance, and I make adjustments if my weight seems to change) and I've been doing cardio at 65-70% max for 40 minutes three times a week at a time separate from my weight workout. This seems to be working the best for me now. I have cardio a fourth day where I work on sprinting mechanics and agility, just because I'd like to be well-rounded.

I'm still placing an emphasis on my lats at the moment. This is Latfest 2003-2004, baby. They were totally my weakest part aesthetically when I started out, but now they're more of a strength. So beginning with my next bulk, whenever that is, I'd like to prioritize upper back thickness to balance out my lower back. My lower back also stores a lot of my fat. So, I dunno what to do about that. [img]/forum/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] For my legs, I need to work more on getting that parenthesis shape () out of my hamstrings from the lateral view. It's somewhat there, but it doesn't really scream out much. It seems like my semimembranosus significantly overpowers the semitendonosus, so I'll start by correcting that I guess. I wanna maintain my quad size for now, but I'll focus more on isolation work.

I also switched to really low-volume for my biceps (~6-9 sets), but uber high intensity. I think that from hitting my back so hard, even though I had biceps on a separate day, I sort of overtrained them. And I've been seeing more growth with very few sets as of recent. I've also noticed they recover incredibly slowly, so I try to work them as far away from back as I can.

Okay, stats!

Height: 5'5" (bleh)
Weight: 146 lbs
BF%: 14.05% (hydrostatic weighing)
FFM: 125.487 lbs
FM: 20.513 lbs

The hydrostatic weighing is fun, but I had to do a few times before we got an accurate reading. I don't like being underwater, so I was bouncing around and whatnot a lot until I got used to it. [img]/forum/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

I think that about covers everything.

Here was my workout this morning!

Lower Back, Hamstrings, Soleus

<font color="orange">Warm-Up:</font>
10 minutes on treadmill
- 2 minute walk
- 8 minute jog, no incline, light intensity
Dynamic stretching
DB SLDL (Weight per DB)
- 30x10
- 45x10

<font color="red">Workout</font>

<font color="blue">*Rest periods were one minute.
*Rep speed for the workout was 2-2-2 (concentric-contraction-eccentric) except where otherwise noted.
*For the permanent record, the colours I list are the bands I have. From lightest to heaviest, they go red, yellow, green, blue, violet, grey, black. Whee.</font>

<font color="purple">DB Unilateral SLDL on Airex Pad*</font>
*Weight is per DB and reps are per leg
30x15
45x12
55x10

<font color="purple">Russion Pull-Up Thingies*</font> [img]/forum/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
*1 second concentric/eccentrics for these.
BWx3
BWx4
BWx2

<font color="purple">Unilateral Prone Leg Curls</font>
greenx10 (3-3-3)
bluex6 (4-2-3)
greyx6 (1-1-1)
greenx10 (1-4-3)

<font color="purple">Unilateral Standing Leg Curl</font>
yellowx10 (3-3-3)
greenx8 (4-4-1)
bluex10 (1-1-1)
greenx? (1-5-1)

<font color="purple">Unilateral Supine SB Leg Curls</font>
x15
x15
x15

<font color="purple">30 seconds fascia stretching for hamstrings.</font>

<font color="purple">Deep fascia massage.</font>

<font color="purple">Seated Calf Raises*</font>
*1 second concentric, 2 second eccentric, 2 second peak contraction.
45x25 + 30 seconds partial reps : 5-second rest-pause : 45x15 + 30 seconds partial reps : 5-second rest-pause : 45x10 + 30 seconds partial reps : 5-second rest-pause : 45x10 + 30 seconds partial reps : 10-second rest-pause : 45x15 + 30 seconds partial reps : 10-second rest-pause : 45x25 + 30 seconds partial reps + 30 second deep fascia stretch

<font color="purple">Deep fascia massage for calves.</font>

<font color="orange">15 minutes static stretching.</font>

Notes:

Workout was good this morning. I'm not going to post my plyo workout tonight (lazy [img]/forum/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]), but it entailed a similar warm-up, medicine ball throws/passes, and some linear hops and jumps of varying heights and lengths over the little springy horse things and whatnot. I was powerful and employed progressive overload, but it wasn't very strenuous. I do my plyos at the park. This time I wore my hair up in pigtails and wore these new pink workout clothes, so I guess I looked like a kid. And it made it all that much more dramatic.

In other news, my best friend has the ideal wireless connection thingy for a wireless network including the PS2. I'll take my PS2 over to his house and take advantage of his broadband. And then I'll kick bootay and take names online. I wanna get Armored Core: Nexus, which will have online play. I'm excited about that. I'm obsessing over AC3 right now 'cause I made a core that was uber and I wasn't expecting it to be good. I was mostly just playing around. I mean, I wanted to make a core with reverse joint legs, so I did. And it's surprisingly versatile. Basically.... I have a laser sword, laser rifle, exceed orbital core, a missile launcher that fires two missiles, and an extension that fires two missiles automatically with that thing. So with the ability to shoot four missiles automatically with only one lock-on for twelve volleys, I can really destroy enemy cores with just the missiles. [img]/forum/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] But the laser rifle has nice damage and I'm very accurate with it. Annnnnd if anyone gets in too close, the exceed orbital (which is like an energy machine gun that I can activate that aims automatically) can take care of them. Or at least fire on them until I get far away. The problem with EOs though is that they aim at current position... they don't take movement into account. So you either have to be close together, or they have to stop. Which is another cool thing... everytime it looks like the enemy's about to stop, it'll turn it on to take chunks out of their AP (AP is armour points, it's like the game's health). And I have efficient boosters with a low charge drain so I always have plenty of energy to activate it. The AC games generally have a huge learning curve to overcome. The gameplay is perplexing at first because you use the shoulder buttons to look up and down; that's why the fandom of AC is so small. But they're FUN when you learn your way around, thus the following of AC is so very dedicated. It's like a cult following or something; people who will buy all the games. But in Nexus they will have changed the controller scheme for people who can't learn the old shoulder-button method.

/g'nite
Old 08-16-2004, 03:09 AM
LegendaryWatcher should change his/her status!
Olympia Contender

Default Re: Chronicles of the Meatless Muscle Vol. 2 --- Syd\'s Journal

I am so glad that you ventured back Syds. You are a true blessing to everybody here at ABC. The dedication, motivation, and inspiration you show us all is unmatched. You are a warrior and a great friend as well. Promise you will never leave us again. You were missed and now that you are back I am so, so very happy.

Now, let me go back and read all of this awesome stuff you wrote. Wouldn't want to miss out on this for the world. I always learn so much from your posts.
Old 08-16-2004, 03:13 AM
Vlad is traalallaalal
Super-Heavyweight

*hugs Sydney*
Old 08-16-2004, 03:13 AM
**DONOTDELETE**
**DONOTDELETE** should change his/her status! Edit

Default Post deleted by .

Old 08-16-2004, 05:17 AM
Tuf should change his/her status!
Mr. Universe

Welcome back, Syd. [img]/forum/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

Your stats are awesome!!! I bet you look great with that amount of lbm and such a low bf%!
<font color="blue">We taped a lot of famous pictures on the locker-room door: Bobby Orr, Potvin, Beliveau, all holding the Stanley Cup. We'd stand back and look at them and envision ourselves doing it. I really believe if you visualize yourself doing something, you can make that image come true...I must have rehearsed it ten thousand times. And when it came true it was like an electric jolt went up my spine.</font>
-Wayne Gretzky

http://www.rhondariley.com/009/thumbs/005.jpg
"When prepping for a show, I look at my body as my grade and the training and diet as my homework. If I do my homework I will get a good grade."
-Rhonda Riley

<font color="009999">Click Here for ABC's Forum Rules</font>
<font color="purple">Click Here for ABC's Index of Bible Studies</font>
Old 08-16-2004, 08:36 AM
NutMeg is sleepy
Mr. Universe

Yay Yay Syds is back! [img]/forum/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 08-16-2004, 08:57 AM
soccerchick should change his/her status!
Olympia Contender

good to see you back again! [img]/forum/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
For my legs, I need to work more on getting that parenthesis shape () out of my hamstrings from the lateral view. It's somewhat there, but it doesn't really scream out much.

[/ QUOTE ]

you and me both!
Old 08-16-2004, 09:58 AM
nozzle should change his/her status!
National Champion

welcome back, syd! [img]/forum/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 08-19-2004, 12:27 AM
Super-Heavyweight

Hey, thanks people! [img]/forum/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] It feels good to be back.

[/ QUOTE ]

Tuesday 17 August 2004

<font color="green">Monday: Rest
Wednesday: Chest (a.m.) / Sprinting (p.m.)
Thursday: Upper Back, Postural &amp; Frontal Calves (a.m.) / Cardio (p.m.)
Sunday: Lower Back, Hamstrings, Soleus (a.m.) / Low-Volume/Intensity Plyometrics AR (p.m.)</font>

<font color="blue">Music Trained To: Elbow - A Cast of Thousands</font>

<font color="purple">Warm-Up:</font>
10 minutes on treadmill
- 2 minute walk
- 8 minute jog, no incline, light intensity
10 minutes dynamic stretching
BW walking lunges
- forward, 50 feet
- backward, 50 feet

<font color="red">Workout</font>

<font color="blue">*Rest periods were one minute.
*Rep speed for the workout was 2-2-2 (concentric-contraction/extension-eccentric) except where otherwise noted.</font>

<font color="purple">Prone Bootay Blaster</font>
45x15
60x15
<font color="blue">I felt it in my butt, but I'm still not sure if I'm doing it correctly. [img]/forum/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]</font>

<font color="purple">Squats Standing on SB*</font> SS <font color="purple">SB Squats</font>
<font color="blue">*Rep speed varied to stay balanced on the ball.</font>
BWx15 / BW+20x15
BW+10x10 / BW+30x15
BW+20x9 / BW+40x12
BWx14 / BW+40x8

<font color="purple">Single Leg-Squats</font> SS <font color="purple">Split Squats*</font>
<font color="blue">No rest between legs and sets.
*Rear leg elevated on SB.</font>
BWx8 / BWx25
BWx7 / BW+20x15
BWx9 / BW+20x12
BWx6 / BW+30x8

<font color="purple">Hack Squats*</font> SS <font color="purple">Alternating Step-Ups</font>
<font color="blue">*4 second hold at the bottom.</font>
BWx15 / BW+40x15
BW+10x10 / BW+50x15
BW+15x8 / BW+60x12
BWx12 / BW+70x8

<font color="purple">Deep fascia stretching and massage for quads.</font>

<font color="purple">Unilateral Standing Calf Raises*</font>
<font color="blue">*Toes out. Reps are per leg.</font>
BW+25x50
BW+35x40
BW+45x35
BW+25x50

<font color="purple">Donkey Calf Raises*</font>
<font color="blue">*Toes in.</font>
BW+225x20
BW+225x20
BW+225x20 : 5-second rest-pause : +6

<font color="purple">Deep fascia stretching and massage for calves.</font>

<font color="orange">15 minutes static stretching.</font>
Old 08-19-2004, 12:31 AM
Super-Heavyweight

Wednesday 18 August 2004

<font color="green">Monday: Rest
Wednesday: Chest (a.m.) / Sprinting (p.m.)
Thursday: Upper Back, Postural &amp; Frontal Calves (a.m.) / Cardio (p.m.)
Sunday: Lower Back, Hamstrings, Soleus (a.m.) / Low-Volume/Intensity Plyometrics AR (p.m.)</font>

<font color="red">MORNING WORKOUT:</font>

<font color="blue">Music Trained To: Antidote - Fight or Flight</font>

<font color="purple">Warm-Up:</font>
6 minutes on treadmill
- 2 minute walk
- 2 minute brisk walk, medium intensity
- 3 minute jog, light intensity
10 minutes dynamic stretching
Knee pushups; BWx10
MB throws:
- Chest passes; 6x5
- Over-the-head throw w/o hops; 6x5

<font color="purple">DB Flyes on SB</font> SS <font color="purple">DB Press on SB</font>
<font color="blue">Weight is per dumbell for both exercises.</font>
10x15 / 25x15
15x15 / green+10x12
20x10 / green+15x8
17.5x12 / green+15x10

<font color="purple">Unilateral Pullovers</font> SS <font color="purple">Incline Pushups</font>
10x15 / BWx20
15x12 / BWx18
17.5x10 / BWx20
20x6 / BWx17

<font color="purple">Incline DB Press on SB</font> SS <font color="purple">Decline Pushups</font>
15x15 / BWx16
17.5x12 / BWx14
20x10 / BWx15
25x6 : 5-second rest-pause : +4 / BWx10

<font color="purple">Bilateral Pullovers on SB</font>
violetx10
greyx10
45x10

<font color="purple">Deep fascia stretch and massage for chest.</font>

<font color="orange">Static stretching for 12 minutes.</font>

<font color="red">EVENING WORKOUT:</font>

<font color="orange">Warm-up:</font>
5 minute jog
various skips for total of 200 yards
7 minutes dynamic stretching

<font color="purple">Sprinting</font>
<font color="blue">Various starting/take-offs used.</font>
sprint 6 seconds (~60m), rest ~20 seconds, repeat for 18 minutes
<font color="blue">I am for ~3:1 rest-sprint ratio.</font>

<font color="orange">Cool-down:</font>
2 minute jog, light intensity
3 minute walk, light-moderate intensity
10 minutes stretching

Notes:

I think I'll hop on the bandwagon with the cool people listing the music trained to, if I can remember from here on out. [img]/forum/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Very taxing quad workout, but my calf one was kinda blah-humbuggle. Chest workout was fab today; same with the sprinting. I have a tendency still to look down and not begin the body lean with my feet (I'm afraid I'm gonna fall flat on my face if I don't), but it's getting better. I'd say I'm 75-80% of the way there. But I'm definitely faster compared to when I started.

Yesterday afternoon I had to carry like thirty pounds of textbooks from the school bookstore to my car, which was out in Timbucktoo. You can count that as a forearm workout I guess. [img]/forum/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] They kill ya with books though. Man. [img]/forum/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

More importantly, does anyone know where I can download a Tetris rington for a T-Mobile/Motorola? I tried the T-mobile site, but they don't have my model apparently (or I am just blind). For the last week I've been trying to programme the Tetris music into my new cell phone's ringtone, because that is a much more pleasant tune than any other. I'm good at playing things by ear, so for the most part, it sounds really good considering my phone is monophonic and is only capable of quarter, half, and whole notes. But it starts to sound horrendous when the song changes after the first few measures. And where it doesn't sound horrible, it just sounds extremely awkward. Other than that, this new phone is chock-full of uber. I can do all sorts of stuff with the software that I guess is neat but best of all I can play with the amazing flippy-ness. It's like a mouth, so I can move it like it's talking and have a little puppet show and whatnot. I can also prentend it's going to kiss my mom and freak her out. And it can grasp things that are slightly out of my reach. I can also use the little earpiece/headset cord to lasso stuff slightly further out from that for when I feel especially lazy.

I saw Princess Diaries 2. Dude man I LOVE that movie so much. It was better than Alien VS Predator. I can't wait til it comes out on DVD. ^_____^
Closed Thread