my friend again - ABCbodybuilding

Go Back   ABCbodybuilding > Iron, Metal, & Steel!! > Female Specific Athletic Forum

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 07-27-2004, 09:51 AM
bigpoppadiesel should change his/her status!
Middleweight

Default my friend again

ive been having her eat about 4 meals a day. however because shes so busy she only gets to work out about twice a week. shes put on 1 lb and shes pretty sure its fat. what should i do to try to restructure her work out/diet. i really doubt if shed have time to work out more than 2-3 times a week. i know that the more meals speed up your metabolism and is great if ur working out but if she isnt on alot of those days should i cut back more meals? what kinds of things should she eat? heres what she emailed me as to her exact diet. "I eat cereal in the AM nothing sugary usually raisin bran or oatmeal or I eat eggs with cheese. Lunch usually a salad with some flavored rice stuff or some kind of meat. Dinner, like I said before sometimes gets sloppy but for the most part I've been doin' good trying to get a salad and some meat. And I snack on peanuts during the day. In between meals I usually have a slim fast shake or granola bar. I do have the occasional Ice cream or McDonald's sandwich but pretty much never twice in the same week". any help would be appreciated. shes wants to loose 5 lbs by the end of august. shes been doing this routine for over a month.
Old 07-27-2004, 10:52 AM
nozzle should change his/her status!
National Champion

Default Re: my friend again

Generally speaking, eating more meals a day will rev your metabolism. But, if she's eating more calories a day and not doing anything to burn it off, her metabolism won't be likely to increase; she'll gain instead.

She's going to have to find more time to exercise. If she can't, then she needs to find ways of expending more calories (taking the stairs instead of the elevator, walking to school or work instead of riding the bus or driving, parking far away instead of right by the door). She doesn't eat much to begin with, so I'd be wary of lowering her calories much more. She needs more protein. Instead of a Slim Fast or a granola bar (lots of sugary carbs), she needs a real meal with protein. She needs more EFA's (snacking on peanuts doesn't give her Omega 3's). She needs to cut out the snacking and eat real meals.

She (and you) needs to understand that she will not lose fat if she doesn't exercise and get a proper diet. She can lose 5 lbs in a month easily by the eating the way she does, but it won't be 5 lbs of fat she's lost.
Old 07-27-2004, 10:52 AM
Kyra1991 should change his/her status!
Middleweight

1st the 1lb could very well be water. She shouldn’t panic over 1 lb.

2nd Can she try to sneak a cardio session in at lunch? There are a few girls at my office who have started climbing the stairs at lunch for about 30 minutes. Quite a workout I hear. If she can get her cardio in at a different time then she can use the 2 workouts for weight training. But if she wants results then she has to make time.

3rd Cut the cheese out, suggest adding salsa if she needs more flavor. Peanuts are not the best snack, for 1 cup of peanuts calories = 848.26, fats = 72g, carbs = 28g, protein = 38g. Suggest she change munches on something else, maybe some veggies or cut the munching out all together. If she is eating regularly there is no need to munch. (Trust me I was a muncher before I changed my diet) Ask what kind of rice she eating, if it that packaged stuff there can be a lot of salt in it and most of the time it is made with white rice. Best advice I got was stay away from anything processed. Change to whole wheat bread, whole-wheat pasta, and brown or wild rice.

4th Ahhhh McDs?? That’s a tough one… if she absolutely must have McDs then suggest one of their more healthy (or less damaging) items, like the grilled chicken sandwich (minus mayo) or I do believe they even have salads there now. But honestly I would avoid those places all together. They just cannot be part of a healthy diet. If she is having trouble finding things to eat here is the link to the Body Builder's Grocery List.
Body Builder's Grocery List

Hope this helps.
Old 07-27-2004, 05:06 PM
Serendipity should change his/her status!
Heavyweight

[ QUOTE ]
1st the 1lb could very well be water. She shouldn’t panic over 1 lb.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. 1lb is nothing. I tend to be at least a few pounds heavier by the end of the day. It could be anything.

Maybe she should get her bf% tested.
Old 07-27-2004, 05:51 PM
littleamazon is praying and loving in action, word, deed and thought by the Grace of God
National Champion

[ QUOTE ]
ive been having her eat about 4 meals a day. however because shes so busy she only gets to work out about twice a week. shes put on 1 lb and shes pretty sure its fat.

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="blue"> Have her get her bf% assessed by a knowledgeable person at the gym </font>

[ QUOTE ]
what should i do to try to restructure her work out/diet. i really doubt if shed have time to work out more than 2-3 times a week.

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="blue">There has to be a way to create caloric deficit...and exercise accomplished this as well as increased metabolism. Start small, then as she feels the benefits of exercise and eating right, she will want more out of her training. </font>

[ QUOTE ]
i know that the more meals speed up your metabolism and is great if ur working out but if she isnt on alot of those days should i cut back more meals? what kinds of things should she eat? heres what she emailed me as to her exact diet. "I eat cereal in the AM nothing sugary usually raisin bran or oatmeal or I eat eggs with cheese. Lunch usually a salad with some flavored rice stuff or some kind of meat. Dinner, like I said before sometimes gets sloppy but for the most part I've been doin' good trying to get a salad and some meat. And I snack on peanuts during the day. In between meals I usually have a slim fast shake or granola bar. I do have the occasional Ice cream or McDonald's sandwich but pretty much never twice in the same week".

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="blue"> This list doesn't seem very accurate to me..how much cereal? what type of cheese? what type of meat and how much? She might not be eating enough to keep her healthy eating requirements. Granola bars have way too much sugar on them! McDonald's needs to be dropped. Nothing there is healthy or quality if you want to lose weight. I am thinking, she needs to keep a journal like www.fitday.com to be really aware of how much she's eating AND the quality of the food. </font>

[ QUOTE ]
any help would be appreciated. shes wants to loose 5 lbs by the end of august. shes been doing this routine for over a month.

[/ QUOTE ] <font color="blue"> You need to assess if it is time for a routine change. She needs to feel challenged by the workout and it needs to be progressive..Every change of routine should challenge her to develop further. This is a change in lifestyle so if she really wants to reap the benefits of it, she needs to be consistent and see herself at the gym from now on. Also, eating healthier and probably more from now on too. This is not a short term solution if she's serious about her health.
</font>

Amazon

- St. Dominic Savio (1842-1857)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v9...n/Mercy50K.jpg
We must pray without tiring, for the salvation of mankind does not depend on material success, nor on sciences that cloud the intellect. Neither does it depend on arms and human industries, but on Jesus alone.

- St. Frances Xavier Cabrini (1850-1917)
Old 07-28-2004, 12:46 AM
Shadane should change his/her status!
Bantamweight

speaking of challenges and motivation: how do you pick yourself up during a rough time?

If you work hard, not only will you be hard
But you'll be H A R D to BEAT.
Closed Thread