New to the boards and need serious advice! - ABCbodybuilding

Go Back   ABCbodybuilding > Iron, Metal, & Steel!! > Female Specific Athletic Forum

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 05-27-2004, 01:53 PM
ALLNO should change his/her status!

Default New to the boards and need serious advice!

I've always had a good figure or had one up until last fall and that is where things went down hill. Most of my life, I have worn and enjoyed wearing a size 3/4 with the occasional 1/2. Now I am sqeezing into a size 7 thinking a 9 would probably be much more comfortable. I've gained and this is a guess, at least 15 lbs. On a 5'0 body, this is not good. I have no idea what I weigh but I am guessing around 130. On top of that, I seem to have gotten flabby and dimply. I know I am not painting a very attractive picture here but I do need some help/advice. About a month ago, a started making small dietary changes and working out. I have seen about a 60% improvment in the dimpling (cellulite) and am starting to firm up but when I reviewed my measurememts today, I had only lost 1/2 inch in my waist and 1/2 inch in my hips. My starting measurements on 4/22/04 were bust/chest 35/33, waist 28 1/2, hips 37, thighs 23, calves 14 1/2. So now I am not only still fat, but depressed as hell too.

My workout goes like this: Mon.,Wed., & Fri. - 2 x 10 lunges, 2 x 15 squats, 2 x 15 side leg lifts, 2 x 15 back legs lifts, 2 x 15 calf raises, 2 x 15 arm curls (I actually don't know what you call the arm exercises I am doing but I use to 14 oz. cans of veggies as weight and do three different kinds) 2 x 15 ab crunches, 2 x 15 ab swims? 2 x 20 butt raises with 20 inner thigh sqeezes. Tues., Thurs. & Sat. I do very low impact aerobic type activity for 20 minutes. To my diet I've added unsweetened cranberry (for cellulite) flax oil, high omega 3 eggs. In general I am trying to eat less of the stuff I shouldn't like sweets and potatoes. Oh and I do enjoy beer probably much more than I should. And I smoke . . .

So should I just resign to get fat and ugly or is there hope? I am getting really discouraged with not seeing progress. In the past, if I got a little flabby, I could tone and tighten up quick. But now . . .

I would apologize for this whole sob story if it wasn't. But it is . . .

[img]/forum/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] [img]/forum/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 05-27-2004, 04:08 PM
ButlersGirl should change his/her status!
Stranger

Default Re: New to the boards and need serious advice!

Wow 43 views and no reply. I guess people don't like answering questions over and over. Don't take that the wrong way. I'm probably one of the least qualified people to respond as a noob myself, but here goes. No, you do not have to resign yourself to anything. There are many here who are or have been in your place. Read through the site, there's a ton of information to be found by clicking on training and nutrition at the top of the page. I would suggest getting to a gym and lifting some real (heavier) weights. I've been picking out names from post in the female forum, going to search, and searching for the names in online journals to see who has one and check out what they're doing. It's hard to tell who is female by the username sometimes, so check out the profiles. I've decided in my short time here that all the women here are great so I won't suggest just one for you to look for, unless you're a vegetarian then definetly look for Syddles. The # one response here when people post requesting help is what's your diet like. You touched on it, but I'd give a more detailed description if you can(I haven't done that myself). Maybe you can track exactly what you eat over a few days and then post that here. The second question is going to be exactly what are your goals. HTH
Old 05-27-2004, 05:51 PM
Adam Knowlden should change his/her status!
Olympia Contender

Hey Welcome to the site!

For one, a lot of those that view posts aren't even registered members. We usually have 150-200 unregistered users on the site at one time. So don't take view count as though no one cares. [img]/forum/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

As far as diet goes, study these two articles to learn how to eat for losing fat,

http://www.abcbodybuilding.com/magaz...t%20levlel.htm

http://www.abcbodybuilding.com/magaz...urningdiet.htm

[ QUOTE ]
Oh and I do enjoy beer probably much more than I should. And I smoke . . .

[/ QUOTE ]

Those two factors are defenietly going to factor into your training and health goals. I'd cut them out. Not trying to scold you, but if you want to look your best, you have to try your best. That includes not inhaling or drinking poision.

Now to you workout, I would stick with body split, not a full body routine,

Go here for all types of possibilities,

http://www.abcbodybuilding.com/forum...o=&amp;fpart=1

Let us know if that helps. [img]/forum/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 05-28-2004, 04:33 AM
Tuf should change his/her status!
Mr. Universe

Nice post, OldSchool. [img]/forum/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] We definitely care! The post is even now only one day old, so the views can be misleading, as OldSchool said. Welcome to the boards and good luck with your goals! Be sure to read as much as you can!
<font color="blue">We taped a lot of famous pictures on the locker-room door: Bobby Orr, Potvin, Beliveau, all holding the Stanley Cup. We'd stand back and look at them and envision ourselves doing it. I really believe if you visualize yourself doing something, you can make that image come true...I must have rehearsed it ten thousand times. And when it came true it was like an electric jolt went up my spine.</font>
-Wayne Gretzky

http://www.rhondariley.com/009/thumbs/005.jpg
"When prepping for a show, I look at my body as my grade and the training and diet as my homework. If I do my homework I will get a good grade."
-Rhonda Riley

<font color="009999">Click Here for ABC's Forum Rules</font>
<font color="purple">Click Here for ABC's Index of Bible Studies</font>
Old 05-28-2004, 11:29 AM

Thanks people!

Sorry, I should have read through some more. But don't people have different body types? I dunno . . . definetly going to check out the articles. As for the smoking and drinking, would love to quit but I am weak willed and don't know where to get the will power to do it. Then again, it just may all be in my attitude. But another thing bothers me. My fiance' drinks and smokes, a little less than I do but he does and says that he doesn't want to quit either ever. Any ideas on how to get him interested in health and fitness? I think if we did this together and supported each other with it that we could be a success and an inspiration. I even showed my boy a picture of Bob Delmontique and it didn't faze him.

Oh well. I definetly check out the articles.

Thanks again!
Old 05-28-2004, 04:39 PM
Kyra1991 should change his/her status!
Middleweight

ALLNO I do feel for you. The quitting smoking part is very tough but it has really helped me out a lot. I am currently 10 1/2 weeks smoke free. Trust me it was very tough. I had basically cut out smoking from a few key parts of my life... the morning smoke, smoking while at a bar... but the hardest one and the last one I cut out was the smoke breaks at work. I asked a friend (who doesnt smoke) to help me out. We would go for a walk around the block during breaks. Eventually after all the irritation subsided it got easier. It isnt even the actual addiction that was hard on me, it was the habit and the comfort. (yes comfort) You have to start somewhere, perhaps try cutting out a few key smokes a day... then a few more and eventually get down to only a couple. Take steps even if it takes awhile. No one can do it for you and no one can convince you to... the decision is yours... but trust me in this... Cardio Rocks Now!!

I definetely agree with Butler, one of the best places for info is right in the online journals. There is information there about different splits (do you understand what a split is? Cause I didnt when I started).

Set a long term goal and break it down into smaller steps.

As for getting the boyfriend interested, when I said "No one can do it for you and no one can convince you to... the decision is yours" it applies here too... Unless he wants to do this with you nothing you say will convince him.

Good Luck and keep your chin up!! [img]/forum/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 05-29-2004, 11:29 PM
Fireproof should change his/her status!
Super-Heavyweight

[ QUOTE ]
As for the smoking and drinking, would love to quit but I am weak willed and don't know where to get the will power to do it. Then again, it just may all be in my attitude.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you hit the nail on the head with your weight problem. It's all about attitude and willpower. Looking great is NOT easy - or else everyone would be walking around with 6-pack abs and a toned body. It takes discipline, willpower, positive attitude, etc. We can give you the knowledge in what foods to eat, how to lose weight, how to workout productively, etc. But we can't give you the willpower or discipline to implement that knowledge. That must come from you. [img]/forum/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
So should I just resign to get fat and ugly or is there hope? I am getting really discouraged with not seeing progress.

[/ QUOTE ]

Only if you decide not to TAKE ACTION and change some of your habits. It'll be hard, but I KNOW you can do it! And if you stick around here, you'll have a heck of a support group to get you through the hard times and help to keep you accountable.

Good luck! Read the articles that Old School posted and let's get started! [img]/forum/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 06-01-2004, 02:37 PM

Default Thanks for the info and the support!

I read the articles oldschool posted as well as the links. I think I was so exhausted and seeing little results from my workouts because I was not getting enough carbs in general. I think my whole diet slowed my metabolism too.

My stop smoking date is June 7th. I can't seem to find a decent online stop smoking support forum so I might use you guys : ) I am going to start a new diet on that date too. This will give me time to buy the supplements I need and other stuff to eat that is along the guidlines in the articles. I do have a few questions however . . .

1. I get up around 6:15 and leave the house by 6:45 to take my fiance' (Joey) to work. I usually don't eat breakfast and workout immediately upon my return which is around 7:45 - 8:00 depending on traffic. Should I be eating breakfast before I leave? And how much should I eat and what and how long before working out? Is the meal 1 sample in the first article sufficient?

2. I don't fully understand what a split is and the importance of. Since I do better sticking with consistency, can I stick to my old routine (posted above?) the main area I want to shape is from my waist down as I am pretty much lean everywhere else.

3. How do I calulate my daily caloric intake without a scale? Is this possible?

4. When eating carbs, should I look more at their simplness or complexity more than their glycemic index?

Thanks!
Old 06-01-2004, 02:42 PM

Default One more question . . .

I am poor and have no access to a gym or to any weights. Any suggestions to this?

The build I am looking for is defined like a dancer's body. I do not want to see a lot of muscle and too much definition when I flex and especially when I am not flexing. Since weights seem to be a big part of the routine here, what can I do without them other than the excercises I have been doing?

Thanks again!
Old 06-01-2004, 05:04 PM
sage63 should change his/her status!
Light-Heavyweight

Default Re: One more question . . .

Okay - One step at a time. Buy some dumbells at Wal-Mart. Buy one set at a time if you need to but build up several different weight sets. Start with 5, 8, 10, 15 lbs. Buy a Rubbermaid step stool. Read on the exercise tab all of the things you can do with dumbells. Sit on the stool for exercises where you need to sit. Put your foot on the stool for things like lat rows and kickbacks etc. Do step ups onto the stool for legs.... you can do this at home if the will is there. Now - as far as not wanting to see muscle definiton.....get started lifting and then see how you feel about it. I think you'll feel so great once you get some muscletone that you'll be proud of the definition!! Do you think anyone thinks Madonna's arms look bad? I only hear great reviews in the media about them. You can buy a yoga or pilates tape to use on your off days to help you stretch and get that "dancer's body" you desire. If you need more visual assistance, I recommend The Firm or Cathe tapes to teach you some weight training by video for a beginner. But do ditch the canned veggies....[img]/forum/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] You'll do much better with a few sets of inexpensive dbs. Oh, and good luck on quitting smoking!! You can do it! [img]/forum/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Closed Thread