Vegan bodybuilders - ABCbodybuilding

Go Back   ABCbodybuilding > Iron, Metal, & Steel!! > Female Specific Athletic Forum

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 05-26-2004, 11:09 AM
apjackso should change his/her status!
Stranger

Default Vegan bodybuilders

Anybody have any tips on building as a vegan?
Has anyone gotten results with this kind of diet?
What kind of foods are considered clean?

Help!!! Vegan bodybuilders
Old 05-26-2004, 11:32 AM
Pete914 should change his/her status!
Middleweight

Default Re: Vegan bodybuilders

www.veganbodybuilding.org

My buddy is a vegan, I found this for him a while back.

5'11" 198 16-17%bf
Old 05-26-2004, 11:51 AM
Syddles should change his/her status!
Super-Heavyweight

I was vegan for awhile until I went back to lacto-ovo vegetarian. I actually made quite a bit of progress, and I was never ill. [img]/forum/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

But the one thing that will hinder your progress is PWO; you'll have to have soy instead of whey or egg whites. You'll make gains, but they'll come somewhat slower. Do a search for vegetarian and look at my posts; I posted some tips for vegetarians and most can be adapted to a vegan lifestyle. Your amino acid supplements are ESSENTIAL as a vegan, however, all will have to come from plant sources. Look at http://www.veganessentials.com. There are some there, but they aren't very good. GNC has some that are vegan, but GNC is overpriced.

Also, be sure you supplement with B-12, small to moderate amounts of iron, and calcium (I recommend calcium citrate). With B-12, the only REALLY usable form is from animal sources. Your body doesn't utilize plant-derived vitamin B-12 very effectively, so do keep that in mind.

As far as clean food goes.... oatmeal, fresh or frozen veggies, flax seed oil, legumes and nuts (fresh ones, not canned), are all very clean. You need SOME saturated fat in your diet for proper manufacturing and balance of hormones (specifically testosterone), and medium chain triglycerides such as coconut oil are good for that.

Really, you can apply the 13-Weeks to Hardcore Fat Burning Diet, the 12 Weeks Fat-Burning, or the bulking ones, to a vegan lifestyle (all are under the nutrition tab above). The only hurdle is protein. Be careful as a vegan, too, as far as ingesting soy goes. Soy is good for you in moderation; I wouldn't go beyond 25-30g per day. I didn't go beyond that very often when I was vegan unless I was in a pinch, and that protein was taken PWO. Other good sources are nuts and legumes, tofu (though I wouldn't have tofu for a cut... too processed), rice protein, natural peanut or almond butter, and vegetable protein. I've gotten rice protein powder at Kroger (but it has extra carbs). I think the brand is Naturade, but someone makes a soy-free vegetable protein powder that has a pretty decent amino acid count. I've seen that at H.E.B. and Kroger. Generally, avoid the processed stuff (even the burgers). If you're on a bulk, you can have a little leeway with what you eat, but not on a cut. No no! Bad bad!

I posted before that vegetarians need about 10% more protein (ex: if you need 200g/day, take in 220). Vegans should get about 20% more. So in that example, a vegan would need 240g/day.

I warn you, bodybuilding as a vegan is EXPENSIVE. I wouldn't really suggest it unless you live in Bill Gates' tax bracket. [img]/forum/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img] I bulked as a vegan for a few weeks before I switched back to lacto-ovo vegetarian and was taking in 3500 calories.... it wasn't pretty. [img]/forum/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

Overall, bodybuilding without animal products is possible, and to me is the most natural someone can possibly get. It doesn't matter how big or cut you get; if you like what you are doing, then it is all worth it. [img]/forum/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

http://veganbodybuilder.com/ --- Rober Cheeke is the most popular vegan bodybuilder around right now. Check out his site... he has some good stuff, but he eats a lot of processed foods unless he's preparing for a contest.

Edit: Forgot to mention that a vegan diet, while it is not as anabolic as a meat or egg/dairy based diet, is very anti-catabolic. Several plant protein sources tend to be higher in glutamine than meat, especially soy.
Old 05-27-2004, 12:50 PM
Faith should change his/her status!

I'm assuming since you posted this that you are a vegan and this is a choice you are not changing. However, if you really want to make gains in lifting you might want to think about at least being a lacto-ovo vegetarian. I was a vegan for almost four years. The last two of those years I got into lifting and had great gains but mostly because I was new to lifting. Once I really got into lifting and tweaking my results I started paying much closer attention to my personal nutrition.

I don't want to discourage you but it was not possible to acheive the gains I wanted in bodybuilding being a vegan. Once I incorporated eggs and milk back into my diet my body changed dramatically. Cuts and seperation that were so hard to come by while on a vegan diet were attainable because I was eating much more diverse sources of protein.

If you have some flexibility but don't necessary want to eat non-vegan whole foods then you at the very least might want to consider incorporating whey shakes into your diet.

I understand how personal it is to be a vegan and trust me, I appreciate why people are vegans. Just be very aware, like syddles said, that it is a bigger challenge for bodybuilding goals and can be expensive.

It's been a while since I was a vegan so I don't know all of the protein sources but seitan is awesome and might be a good substitute for soy (don't remember if seitan is a soy by-product though).
Closed Thread