Go Back   ABCbodybuilding > Iron, Metal, & Steel!! > Online Training Journal

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 02-28-2004, 12:18 AM
Frenchie should change his/her status!
Light-Heavyweight

Default Re: My 1st Fitness Competition, Round 2

Hi 10yrdream!!

No, I have never competed before. Actually, I have been doing bodybuilding seriously (that is using a workout split, proper training techinques, and an adequate diet and supplementation) only for the past 9 months. I am thinking about it though and I may decide to do one once I feel I am ready for it.

Do you have a specific training split?

What is the name of the competition you will enter?

Regarding your diet, I have a few suggestions. First, it lacks essential fats (such as salmon, flax oil, almonds, walnuts...) tremendously. You should try to include some good fats in your diet. If you are dieting for a show, they will be essential for you to drop bodyfat and maintain muscle mass.

Also, you eat very few green veggies except for the broccoli. Green veggies (especially the leafy kind such as romaine lettuce, spinach, asparagus, green beans, broccoli) contains fiber that are essential for proper function. Try to include more veggies in your diet.

In addition, if your goal is to drop body fat, I will recommend to cut the fruit and replace with a more efficient source of carbs. Fruit indeed cannot be readily used by the muscles for fuel but rather need to be first converted to glycogen in the liver. The liver can only convert a limited amount of fructose (the sugar contained in fruit) to glycogen. Any excess will be converted as fat. Instead, replace the fruit with more starchy carbs for your first meal, or with leafy greens for the other meals.

As a recap, here are my suggestions in red below:

[ QUOTE ]
Day 3:
Meal 1: P/C/F
3 egg wh 18/0/0
1/2 c oats 5/27/3
1 banana 1/30/1
<font color="red"> Drop the banana. Instead, have a bit more oats. Also 3 egg whites is only 10.5 grams of protein (for a jumbo sized egg). Add more egg whites, or add whey protein. Also, make sure you get a multi-vitamin and some vitamin C. This is also a good time to take some glutamine. </font>

Meal 2:
1/2 can tuna 13/0/0.5
1/2 lg apple 0/15/
<font color="red"> Get rid of the apple. Instead, have some leafy greens and essential fats, such as flax oil. </font>

Meal 3:
3/4 c brn rice 3/45/1
4oz tilapia 20/0/0 (unsure of this)
<font color="red"> Good. You may add some veggies as well. </font>

Meal 4:
1/2 c brn rice 3/15/1
3oz tilapia
<font color="red"> Same comment as above. </font>

Meal 5:
3 egg wh 18/0/0
1/2 c brn rice 3/15/1
1 c brocc 0/10/0
2 rice cakes 0/18/0
<font color="red"> This is definitely not the best option for a last meal. First, this meal should be taken before bed. The purpose of this meal is to provide you with some decent amount of slow-digesting protein to help you go through a night's fast. Egg whites are a fast-digesting protein, therefore it is not the best option at this time. Instead, opt for a slow-burning protein such as casein, which can be found in cottage cheese. If you are avoiding dairy products, you may choose a blended protein. You also do not want any starchy carbs at this point as it will not be used for fuel and therefore will tend to be stored as fat. Instead, you will want some fiber to further slow the digestion of the protein. The broccoli is good for this purpose. Finally, you want a source of fat, such as natural peanut butter or flax oil. You may also want to take some glutamine too. </font>

[/ QUOTE ]

By the way, I know it is hard to find trainers (or at least good ones).... I have been looking for some too but have yet to find a competent one.... [img]/forum/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

"Although others may ask why, you'll never be able to explain adequately. Only someone else with the same passion would understand"

Old 02-29-2004, 01:31 AM
10yrdream should change his/her status!
Bantamweight

hi Frenchie,
thx a ton for the advice. u know so much for being at it for 9months. i agree w/u about the fat and gr veggies. i am going to ask the trainer about it. i questioned this but i decided to try to trust him and just do what he suggests.
i also think that i should do a "bulk" like i have been reading.
i am built very small-boned; people are always in awe at the size of my tiny wrists. perhaps this is why he has me on a 1200 cal/day. i am going to ask him though.
i am going to be going for the Contra Costa in Hayward. thank you sooo much.
Old 02-29-2004, 01:33 AM
Bantamweight

oh you can call me, Suzy.

i am going to write more tomorrow. i am still sick and with the same diet. training has been weak. i hope to kick this illness very soon.
Old 03-01-2004, 12:26 AM
Bantamweight

It is only day 6, and I feel as if I am going to go out of my skull. I had to have something sweet so I had a sugar-free mocha. It helped some. I am feeling better though so I am going to try a whole lifting workout tomorrow. I know it will probably take another week before my strength comes back. I did 30 min of lite cardio, and I felt so weak.

My birthday is on Tues. Going to turn 31! We are having my fiance's parents and sister over this weekend. I won't be able to eat the home-made cake or goodies that his mother will be bringing. I sound like such a sob story. His family thinks I am a bit strange with the way I eat. Does anyone else ever feel like this while dieting?
Old 03-01-2004, 12:31 AM
Bantamweight

About my training: I train 1 body part each time. I prefer to do this bc I can concentrate on that body part. This will change the last month, where I will do 1-3 body parts/day. I also superset often and mix in plyometrics, getting my heart rate up and a good pump. I usually do not lift for more than an hour. My workout is quick but intense.
Old 03-01-2004, 12:53 AM
Light-Heavyweight

[ QUOTE ]
hi Frenchie,
thx a ton for the advice. u know so much for being at it for 9months. i agree w/u about the fat and gr veggies. i am going to ask the trainer about it. i questioned this but i decided to try to trust him and just do what he suggests.
i also think that i should do a "bulk" like i have been reading.
i am built very small-boned; people are always in awe at the size of my tiny wrists. perhaps this is why he has me on a 1200 cal/day. i am going to ask him though.

<font color="blue"> Great!! [img]/forum/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Let me know what he says. </font>

i am going to be going for the Contra Costa in Hayward. thank you sooo much.

<font color="blue"> When is the competition? Do you live near Hayward in California? The reason I ask you this is because I live close to San Francisco. It would be great if I could attend the comp'. [img]/forum/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] </font>

<font color="blue"> I definitely understand what you mean by being looked as "strange" because of your dieting habits. Even my own family thinks I am "one of a kind".... [img]/forum/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img] Oh, well, I like my lifestyle and that's what counts the most! </font>

[/ QUOTE ]

"Although others may ask why, you'll never be able to explain adequately. Only someone else with the same passion would understand"

Old 03-01-2004, 01:00 AM
Bantamweight

To Frenchie,
Wow, you live close to SF? I live about 2 hours from Hayward. The comp is on May 8th. I may be crawling on stage by then, ha ha! Yea, that would be so cool if you attended! [img]/forum/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Are you an A's or Raider's fan? lol.
Old 03-01-2004, 05:13 PM
Syddles should change his/her status!
Super-Heavyweight

Hi Suzy! Things are looking good here, I'm impressed. Frenchie knows a lot of stuff, so definitely hear what she has to say. ^^

It is really motivating to watch people prepare for a competition. Best of luck to ya. [img]/forum/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 03-01-2004, 07:42 PM
Light-Heavyweight

[ QUOTE ]
To Frenchie,
Wow, you live close to SF? I live about 2 hours from Hayward. The comp is on May 8th. I may be crawling on stage by then, ha ha! Yea, that would be so cool if you attended! [img]/forum/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Are you an A's or Raider's fan? lol.

[/ QUOTE ]

I do! [img]/forum/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] I actually work in San Francisco and live half an hour from there. I will have to look on the web for the competition information. That would be great if I attended! It would actually be my first time attending a fitness comp! [img]/forum/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

As for the A's or Raider's, I must say I don't know much about this sport... Which one do you cheer for?

Old 03-02-2004, 02:33 AM
Bantamweight

Hey Syddles,
thanks for stopping by. i appreciate the comments, i know you must be so busy, esp. dealing with your new health discoveries. yes, it is certainly a challenge preparing for this competition. it will be worth it though. take care.
-Suzy
Closed Thread