From Small Beginnings... - Page 2 - ABCbodybuilding

Go Back   ABCbodybuilding > Iron, Metal, & Steel!! > Online Training Journal

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 02-10-2004, 01:43 AM
Psycho Mike should change his/her status!
Lightweight

Default Re: From Small Beginnings...

Here's my first attempt at posting my routine. Keep in mind, it's only my 2nd week in the gym and I'm totally new to this, but I'm open to critique.

BACK

Wide Grip Pulldowns
50x15
50x15
60x15
60x15

Reverse Close Grip Pulldowns
50x10
60x12
60x13

DB Rowing
35x16 (no strain at all here)
40x10
40x11
40x11

REAR DELTS
Bent Lateral Raises
15x20
15x15
15x13
15x13

(I think I need to decrease my weight on this exercise and concentrate more on my form and contraction)

TRAPS
DB Shrugs
35x20
40x30
40x35
40x40
40x32

(The shrugs kinda confuse me, I'm not sure how much weight to use and how much contraction I want and about how many reps I should be able to get, but it seems like 40 reps is too many... i can't decide whether to up the weight or work on my form or what)

ABS
Decline Sit-Ups (3 sets)

Knee-Ups

Side Bends
35x50
30x50

(I lowered the weight on the second set to work on my form and really get a stretch, with the 35's I was feeling more strain in my arms than my abs... not good)

critique away

I also wanted to add that I reached my 2 pound gain goal for last week. Slowly, but surely moving in the right direction.
Old 02-10-2004, 10:39 AM
Syddles should change his/her status!
Super-Heavyweight

[ QUOTE ]
(I think I need to decrease my weight on this exercise and concentrate more on my form and contraction)

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, definitely. You won't impress any ladies with terrible form. [img]/forum/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
(The shrugs kinda confuse me, I'm not sure how much weight to use and how much contraction I want and about how many reps I should be able to get, but it seems like 40 reps is too many... i can't decide whether to up the weight or work on my form or what)

[/ QUOTE ]

Form always comes first!!! Shrug the weight up, pause for one or two seconds at peak contraction, and lower it. Increasing weight won't do you a darn thing if you don't feel the contraction!

[ QUOTE ]
I also wanted to add that I reached my 2 pound gain goal for last week. Slowly, but surely moving in the right direction.

[/ QUOTE ]

Congrats! Make sure you get your bodyfat measured regularly (preferably each week) to make sure it's more muscle than fat.

Other than that, nice workout! [img]/forum/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 02-10-2004, 10:52 AM
junfan68 should change his/her status!
Light-Heavyweight

[ QUOTE ]
I'm a little over 6 feet and 140 pounds. If you think that's bad, two weeks ago I was at 134.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yikes!

It's ok, we all have to start somewhere. What's important is that you have drawn a line in the sand, and have declared you won't be skinny for long!

Man, just stick close to Goldmill, and eat baby eat!

Good luck.
Old 02-10-2004, 11:34 AM
MansonOzz should change his/her status!
Olympia Champion

Goldmill is definitely one of the guys I'd want to teach me if I were new!

He has good taste in music, too.
Old 02-10-2004, 12:08 PM
Lightweight

Thanks for the words you've all posted. I'll definetely concentrate more on my form and such with each week. And oh yeah, I went back and read my post and this is actually my THIRD week in the gym... not second... BIG difference, lol.

And I must have pulled a muscle in my back. It might actually be my traps, but it's a bit hard to tell. I pulled it last week at work a few days after my back workout, but now today (a day after back workout) it's really killing me. What should I do?

Yeah... I'll have to keep track of bodyfat also.
Old 02-10-2004, 04:39 PM
Patyal68 should change his/her status!
Heavyweight

[ QUOTE ]
Our very own Goldmill, a friend of mine, is what I'd call my personal trainer and a **** good one at that. [img]/forum/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
aka "The Godlmill's circle": Frenchie, Psycho Mike, Syddles and I [img]/forum/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
Goldmill ... He has good taste in music, too.

[/ QUOTE ]
I heard rumors that he listens to heavy metal music while he lifts [img]/forum/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img] [img]/forum/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 02-10-2004, 07:24 PM
goldmill should change his/her status!
Heavyweight

First, I'm glad to see you are finally posting the workouts. At least now you'll be able to get some help from me and some of the others here at the site.

Second, put some ice on the area that is sore in your back. Try to alternate with heat if possible. When we all get together Thursday, show me where it is at and I'll see if I can tell how severe it is based on your explanation. I wish you would have told me sooner over AIM or something.

Third, if you are getting more than 10 reps on an exercise after your warm-up, raise the weight. Remember, you want to fail at 6-10 reps not at 15-20. A rep range that high isn't very beneficial for your needs right now. Also as I was telling you a couple of weeks ago, your strength is going to skyrocket the first few months in the gym so don't be surprised if you are raising the weight on some exercises every week or 2.

Fourth, I'll look at your form Thursday with the shrugs and bent laterals too.

Until then, make sure you post the Chest/Delt workout today. [img]/forum/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 02-11-2004, 04:41 AM
Lightweight

CHEST

DB Bench Press
35x8
35x8
35x6
30x9

Bench Flys
30x7
25x8
25x10

Incline DB Bench Press
30x7
25x7
25x7
25x7

Incline Flys
25x7
25x6
20x9
20x8

Pek Deck
50x4
35x5

It seems like with each chest exercise, i get weaker and weaker and have to gradually decrease the weight to get a good number of reps. I'm not sure what to think of that.

FRONT/SIDE DELTS

DB Military Press
20x10
20x6
15x12
15x8

Seated Side Laterals
10x12
10x9
10x8
10x9

Front Laterals
15x15
15x15
15x15

(I'm pretty sure I used 15's for this exercise, forgot to note it for whatever reason. Did 30 lifts combined over left and right arms.. so 15 for each arm on a set... should I raise the weight and lower the reps?)

CALVES

Standing Toe Raises
3 sets of 15

Reverse Standing Toe Raises
(I tried these, but I was feeling it more in my quads than my calves, so I was obviously doing something wrong and stopped)

Seated Toe Raises
45x8
45x11
45x10
Old 02-11-2004, 11:07 AM
goldmill should change his/her status!
Heavyweight

Yes raise the weight on your front raises.

The reason you are getting weaker towards the end is because you are getting tired. I notice you don't have any warmup sets. Why?

Try this next time:

DB BENCH PRESS
20 X 10
30 X 8
35 X 8
40 X failure

You should gradually get heavier with each set. You can decrease the weight as well and go for more reps. But I guarantee if you don't burn yourself out and warm up properly, you should be using the 40s or even the 45s.
Old 02-11-2004, 01:56 PM
Lightweight

Gotcha Goldmill...

No one actually explained to me he whole warmup thing, so I wasn't sure how to work it into my routine. So, what you're saying is that on the DB Press, I should only be going to failure on one set if I do it right? If so, that's a big change from me going to failure everytime.

I guess for a warmup, I should choose a weight where I know I can get 10-12 reps without too must struggle.
Closed Thread