Go Back   ABCbodybuilding > Iron, Metal, & Steel!! > Online Training Journal

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 01-08-2004, 10:23 AM
Tuf should change his/her status!
Mr. Universe

Default Re: Debbie Does Daily Entries

[ QUOTE ]
The reason is just ignorance in not realizing how low they are. Keeping a journal is really helping.

[/ QUOTE ]
That's great, Debbie! [img]/forum/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] It is good that you are figuring things out!

Cheese and milk have quite a bit of saturated fat. [img]/forum/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img] I would not rely on them to increase your fats. Natty pb is good, but it would also be a good idea to include some walnuts (whatever you can tolerate with your allergies) because they have omega-3 fats. It would also be very good if you could have salmon or other fatty fish.
<font color="blue">We taped a lot of famous pictures on the locker-room door: Bobby Orr, Potvin, Beliveau, all holding the Stanley Cup. We'd stand back and look at them and envision ourselves doing it. I really believe if you visualize yourself doing something, you can make that image come true...I must have rehearsed it ten thousand times. And when it came true it was like an electric jolt went up my spine.</font>
-Wayne Gretzky

http://www.rhondariley.com/009/thumbs/005.jpg
"When prepping for a show, I look at my body as my grade and the training and diet as my homework. If I do my homework I will get a good grade."
-Rhonda Riley

<font color="009999">Click Here for ABC's Forum Rules</font>
<font color="purple">Click Here for ABC's Index of Bible Studies</font>
Old 01-08-2004, 10:34 AM
Marta Mathews should change his/her status!
Lightweight

Default Re: Tuf

First of all, Debbie - nice work on your journal. You know how you thought I leg pressed a lot more than you did? Well, as I'm looking at your entries you are lifting a lot more when it comes to shoulder and chest work. I don't know what it is in human genetics that makes us stronger in certain areas of the body and weaker in others especially if the intensity of our workouts is always as close to max as possible no matter which body part we are targeting. I work on my delts and I feel sweat running down the grove of my back, not to mention I’m HURTING big time, but yet on some exercises I could only lift half as much as you… then on the legs I can press double of what you are pressing… I don’t know about you, but I find this phenomenon inscrutable and I wonder if there is a logical or scientific explanation to this…

Now Tuf . Personally I’ve been genetically blessed with a decent physical structure (in my mind anyway) and as I remember getting ready for my competitions, my fat intake (the good fats) was never over 30 grams per day. At the moment I am on a bulk and I don’t really count my calories, but if I was to check out of curiosity I would say that my fat intake is still well under 50 grams… I guess what I’m trying to say is that I thought 50 grams per day for an average sized female was a healthy dose. It seems like my assumption was wrong because a couple of you ladies have indicated to Debbie that her fat intake seemed too low while I thought it was perfect. This brings me to this question – What is a healthy intake?
Old 01-08-2004, 10:47 AM
schless should change his/her status!
Super-Heavyweight

[ QUOTE ]
Note: Lots of SLOW reps because I can go a tiny bit higher
in weight if I had a spotter. <font color="red"> I can sooo relate to this. Many times I'd like to go heavier but w/o a spot am not comfortable. So like you, I just go really slow and up the intensity with the lower weight. Twice I've asked for a spot from a stranger. The first time it worked really well. The second time, the guy let the weight fall on my chin and chest. [img]/forum/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img] So I'm still hesitant about asking! [img]/forum/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] </font>

Note: Shoulder kills me when I work chest.
I know I can do more if shoulder wouldn't throb so much. <font color="red"> Ditto here too! And I do chest/shoulders on same day! </font>

[/ QUOTE ]

Congrats on your personal bests! That's great! Your journal's coming along well. I don't get to read others' journals often, but I do enjoy it when I can. Your workouts look good and I see you're making some progress with your diet. As far as bread/sandwiches go, I used to be a big sandwich eater, but not so much now. And you're right, eliminating the bread makes a big difference in reducing your overall carb intake. What I do sometimes now is have a half-sandwich (on whole wheat/low-carb bread) with a huge salad. I'll toss some walnuts into my salad and sometimes some dried fruit (I have a hard time giving that up too) such as cranberries. Gives it a nice zing, and I get some good fats with the nuts and my dressing (usually an olive oil base).

Anyway, keep up the good work! [img]/forum/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-08-2004, 10:48 AM
Debbie9999 should change his/her status!
Light-Heavyweight

Thanks Marta for the encouragement! And, good question about Fats because I am clueless as well.

Nozzle and Tuf, thank you for your comments. Fatty fish may be easier find and tastier (from what I read) than the EFA supplements. I need to be careful about peanuts, but at least I can have SOME.

What about shellfish (lobster and shrimp)? Do they have the "good" fats?
Old 01-08-2004, 11:01 AM
Mr. Universe

Hey, Marta. [img]/forum/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I realize that contest dieting differs from the usual protocol for ongoing bulking and cutting cycle diets. I have never dieted for a competition, so I don't have a thorough understanding of what it requires.

Here is a helpful article that addresses the importance and benefits of fat (namely EFAs) in a bodybuilder's diet:
http://abcbodybuilding.com/magazine03/efa.htm

[ QUOTE ]
I guess what I’m trying to say is that I thought 50 grams per day for an average sized female was a healthy dose.

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't disagree, Marta. However, rather than looking at that one component, I usually take into consideration the percentage of each macronutrient. As you probably know, a common P/C/F ratio for cutting is 40/30/30. Obviously, the total fat grams will not be the same for me as it is for a 250 lb. man, as his caloric intake will be higher. So in that respect, I think it can be relative to your total caloric intake. In general, your protein intake should not exceed 40% of your diet (source: Metabolic Primer III). Whether cutting or bulking, I personally find that if my carbohydrate intake exceeds 33%, I start to gain fat (this will obviously vary from person to person, as will the mental tolerance for fat gain during a bulk). The rest of my diet therefore consists of fats. The article I linked you to emphasizes how vital EFAs are. Here is a sample day of what EFAs Venom consumes:

3 Tbsp of flax, 2 Tbsp natty pb, 1 Tbsp safflower oil, plenty of dark leafy greens, and 10 oz of salmon.

Now obviously Venom has a few pounds on me [img]/forum/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img], but that is over 100 grams of fat in EFA sources alone.

Okay, sorry I am getting so long winded. [img]/forum/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] I just think that low fat has been purported in our society as a superior dieting technique, while the truth is that EFAs have been demonstrated to be benificial for insulin sensitivity, thermogenesis, and anabolism, to name a few.
<font color="blue">We taped a lot of famous pictures on the locker-room door: Bobby Orr, Potvin, Beliveau, all holding the Stanley Cup. We'd stand back and look at them and envision ourselves doing it. I really believe if you visualize yourself doing something, you can make that image come true...I must have rehearsed it ten thousand times. And when it came true it was like an electric jolt went up my spine.</font>
-Wayne Gretzky

"When prepping for a show, I look at my body as my grade and the training and diet as my homework. If I do my homework I will get a good grade."
-Rhonda Riley

Old 01-08-2004, 11:06 AM
Mr. Universe

[ QUOTE ]
What about shellfish (lobster and shrimp)? Do they have the "good" fats?

[/ QUOTE ]
Shellfish have some EFAs in the form of Arachidonic acid (from the Omega-6 family).
-Wayne Gretzky

-Rhonda Riley

Old 01-08-2004, 11:28 AM
Marta Mathews should change his/her status!
Lightweight

Wow, thanks so much for your insight Tuf! I will most definitely carefully peruse the article you recommended. I actually find this “fatty” subject quite fascinating and considering the amount of physical abuse I inflict on my body I know I owe it to myself to learn more about the subject. The fact that I have done four competitions doesn’t make me an expert on diet. Thanks to people like yourself combined with my good genetics I’ve done quite well for myself as far as keeping myself in top shape, but I still have a lot of things to learn about the subject. Like most women, I’m a huge carb junkie and something tells me the good fats might contribute greatly in eliminating (or curbing) the problem to some extent. Thanks again!
Old 01-08-2004, 11:41 AM
Mr. Universe

It's my pleasure, Marta. [img]/forum/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
something tells me the good fats might contribute greatly in eliminating (or curbing) the problem to some extent.

[/ QUOTE ]
Definitely! Here is a great quote from another one of Venom's articles:
[ QUOTE ]
I sincerely believe that the primary reason people cheat is due to a complete lack of understanding; ignorance, if you will.

[/ QUOTE ]

Basically what he is saying is that once we understand nutrient and calorie density, we can feed ourselves with highly efficient foods that enable us to adhere to strict dieting, reducing or eliminating junk food binges.
-Wayne Gretzky

-Rhonda Riley

Old 01-08-2004, 11:43 AM
Debbie9999 should change his/her status!
Light-Heavyweight

Schless, thanks for the food tips. I would have responded previously, but sometimes the posts go out of order. We must have both been posting at the same time.

Tuf, be as long-winded as you like - it's all GOOD info that I need. And, thanks for the good news about shellfish, at least to partially help.

Marta, a thought occurred to me concerning how we are all different and we all excell at different things. For me, I think that some of my accomplishments can be explained. First, look at all the carbs I eat. I know now it is too many but it probably is giving me an extra boost to go heavy with the weights. Second, this was talked about in an old thread before your time, I have really, really big hands and so I have no "grip" problems. My ring finger is a size 7 and yet my jeans are a size 4...well sometimes I wear a size 6 but they are quite "comfortable". Third, I have the type of body that puts on fat easily but also puts on muscle easily. Even when I was just a cardio bunny, I went heavy enough on the Elliptical that my legs had lots of muscle. Lastly, unless I require a spotter, I usually do a set at the next highest weight. I do not record this set in my journal because sometimes I cannot even do 1 rep and sometimes I can only do 3 reps. Until I can do 6 reps with no cheating, I do not even mention it in the journal. Anyway, I hope this info is helpful to explain some things. And thanks for posting in my journal.
Old 01-08-2004, 11:49 AM
Patyal68 should change his/her status!
Heavyweight

Hey Debbie,
Don't be too harsh on yourself about your max in shoulders. I've checked your workouts and you are pretty strong. If you want, I can't hold the 35's shoulder press so you catch up with me [img]/forum/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] ... just hurry up... lol [img]/forum/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

I took a look at your diet. Adding to what Tuf already advised on your fats, I think you also need to be more selective on your carb sources. I didn't see many complex/startchs listed. I recall you were neither cutting, bulking or maintaining but all of them [img]/forum/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img] ... so, I think you can get good benefit from adding a good serving of oatmeal in your breakfast. Also add yams, brown rice and beans to a couple of more meals early in the day. Try to cut your carbs by 5:00 pm, so you don't get too bloated, unless you don't care about this.

About the gains in my strength, I'm pretty sure it's all about the carbs I've added in the diet. I was kind of scared first, because I thought I was going to gain a lot of weight, but it has worked fine and my bf% is still below 15%. You might want to consider that in your diet.

As far as Omega 3 natural sources, I personally make sure to include Cod, Mahi-Mahi, cat-fish, salmon and orange fish in my diet. You can also buy fish oil in caps in Sams, at a very good price (about $5 for 300 caps).

Finally, you might want to be more specific in the break-down of your PWO to take a look and offer comments.

Edit Debbie, I also noticed you did HIIT Tuesday and this morning. How much cardio are you doing per week? and what is your current split? Just curious. [img]/forum/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

My 2 cents.
Closed Thread