Ladies on ZMA - ABCbodybuilding

Go Back   ABCbodybuilding > Iron, Metal, & Steel!! > Female Specific Athletic Forum

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 12-17-2003, 01:00 AM
dearheart should change his/her status!

Default Ladies on ZMA

Hi there... I know ZMA is highly recommended to use here, but I'm a little leary of using it since I have Poly Cystic ovarian Syndrome where my testosterone levels are already on the high side and I have to be treated for it.
Since my levels are already on the higher side do you think I need to supplement my diet with it?

Thanks for any thoughts!

28 yrs old
5'3"
April '03~~~Nov '04
159lbs~~~~~~~~130 lbs
23.2%BF~~~~~~16-18%
chest 38
waist 37.5"~~~30
hips 42" ~~ 38.5
bicep ~~~~~~~~~12
upper thigh 24"~~~21"

Old 12-17-2003, 09:34 AM
schless should change his/her status!
Super-Heavyweight

Default Re: Ladies on ZMA

Hmmmm....since you have a medical condition, I'd say talk to your doctor. I wouldn't want to venture a guess on something like that, but would probably err in the direction of not supplementing with ZMA. Admittedly, I don't know much about it though. I did read an article on bodybuilding.com that said studies showed it could increase testosterone levels as much as 30%. Can you afford that with your condition?

I'd suggest doing a bit of research on it. You might even be able to do a search on both ZMA and your syndrome to see if you can find anything about the two together.

Good luck! [img]/forum/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Old 12-17-2003, 10:06 AM
soccerchick should change his/her status!
Olympia Contender

i also suggest talking to your doctor about this. you want to be sure that it will not do something harmful with your condition.
Old 12-17-2003, 11:25 AM
a-folov should change his/her status!
National Champion

Even if your testosterone production is on high side, taking additional zinc should not aggrevate the conditoin for the worse (are you on any sort of a suppresive therapy?). Never the less, it is best to always check with your doctor for things like these - and I don't mean your neighborhood general practitioner, but a specialized doctor that is capable of dealing with hormone anomalities.
Old 12-17-2003, 12:40 PM
Syddles should change his/her status!
Super-Heavyweight

I have the same condition. When I was on estrogen therapy I was doing pretty well and my doctor said I could take it. So I took ZMA. My cycle ended up getting messed up, but it was due to a number of factors, not just the ZMA... I actually had several menstrual cycles a month because of it! It didn't increase any hair growth or instigate acne, although lately my acne has been bad because of PCOS. I have a pretty severe case of PCOS, though. So you may want to check with your doctor before using it.
Old 12-17-2003, 08:20 PM
dearheart should change his/her status!

Thanks for your input. I did some more research as suggested and found that the drug I'm on (metformin) to reduce the risks of developing cysts reduces the amount of testosterone in my body. So it wouldn't make sense for me to take a supplement to try and increase that hormone, when my Dr wants it lower. I will also be trying to conceive in a few months and the metformin is supposed to help with that also. "In the article, the study authors noted that women with PCOS often have a history of recurrent miscarriage. In earlier studies, Dr. Nestler's group had shown that metformin reduces the high testosterone levels of PCOS patients and also increases the chances that they can become pregnant." So I will stay away from the ZMA for now. Right now my focus is to get to my ideal weight to help lessen the symptoms of PCOS so that I can conceive.

Since April of this year I've lost 20 lbs and have gone from 23.2 % BF to 18.2%. I've just met with a personal trainer to get me the rest of the way. I'm loving this new body of mine! It's been almost 9 years of battling with weight, infertility and hormones.

Thanks again for your input and encouragement to research a bit more.

God bless you!!

28 yrs old
5'3"
April '03~~~Nov '04
159lbs~~~~~~~~130 lbs
23.2%BF~~~~~~16-18%
chest 38
waist 37.5"~~~30
hips 42" ~~ 38.5
bicep ~~~~~~~~~12
upper thigh 24"~~~21"

Closed Thread