Vent about "some" men in the gym. - ABCbodybuilding

Go Back   ABCbodybuilding > Iron, Metal, & Steel!! > Female Specific Athletic Forum

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 12-11-2003, 10:33 AM
Poohbear00 should change his/her status!

Default Vent about \"some\" men in the gym.

Last night I was at the gym watching these two guys doing shrugs. They could both barely hold onto the dumbbells in their hands. They could only do just a couple of shrugs and then would drop the weights. The one guy started complaining about his hands hurting and not being able to hold on long to the weights but wanting to lift more. I was sitting right beside them and thought I would offer a suggestion (since I am in the same boat) I suggested they try using the standing calf machine to do shrugs as you can lift alot more weight because you aren't holding it in your hands (I can only hold onto 35lb dumbbells before losing my grip vs doing 140lbs on the calf machine for shrugs) They said "thanks" and then when they thought I couldn't hear, started making fun of me and "what does she know" sort of crap. I have no problem with men or women offering me suggestions with my work out or technique or what have you. I can either choose to use it or dismiss it but I would never dream of cutting someone down for offering advise especially after someone is *****ing about a problem. ... There just had to say my piece.
Old 12-11-2003, 10:37 AM
NutMeg is sleepy
Mr. Universe

Default Re: Vent about \"some\" men in the gym.

Well... you tried. And they didn't think you could hear it. They probably just felt bad that a girl knew what to do when it came to weights. That's their problem, not yours. Maybe one day, when they really become annoyed at the DB shrugs, you might catch them on the calf machine. And... for all you know, they tried that anyway after you left. Don't let it bother you, you were nice enough to offer your help. Don't let two morons dissuade you from doing it again. Think of the injury you could save someone or the gains you would help them with.
Old 12-11-2003, 10:38 AM
bombflower should change his/her status!
Super-Heavyweight

What a bunch of jerks!!

Some men obviously don't know how to respect women [img]/forum/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]
Weight: 140
Squat Max: 225
Bench Max: 120

My training & diet journal
My bodyfat % and weight chart
My fitday account
Old 12-11-2003, 10:42 AM
ALD4168 should change his/her status!
Rookie

I don't understand why some people really think women can't possibly know what they're talking about in the gym. I've gotten similar responses from both men and women in the gym. Some woman even told me, "You're a woman, you don't know anymore about this than I do." Uhh...OK. Well, poohbear00, your vent brought out my need to vent about men in the gym...I'm soooooo sick of the guys who are there when I lift on the weekends all stopping their workouts to watch, point and "giggle" when I walk past the 5, 10, 15, and 20 lbs dumbbells and going for the 25, 30 and 35 lbs. Last weekend one of them stopped me before I grabbed a dumbbell off the rack and said, "Honey, you sure you can lift that?" How demeaning is that?! Instead of picking up the weight and bashing him over the head, I calmly said yes and walked away rolling my eyes and let him stare as I did my sets. I guess most of these guys are just insecure and are feeling a little threatened by the fact that a woman can feel secure in what a lot of them consider "their domain." Thank goodness for guys like the ones here who just want to offer advice and not cut us down.
Old 12-11-2003, 10:42 AM
Serendipity should change his/her status!
Heavyweight

I agree with MeGaMeGaN, they were probably too mucho and embarrassed to take advice from a woman.
Old 12-11-2003, 10:49 AM
soccerchick should change his/her status!
Olympia Contender

you know what i'm glad the guys in my gym aren't jerks like that. WOW, i'd go off on them if someone ever said are you sure you can lift that. i tend to get... "i bet you can get more than that".
Old 12-11-2003, 11:23 AM
Serendipity should change his/her status!
Heavyweight

[ QUOTE ]
, "You're a woman, you don't know anymore about this than I do."

[/ QUOTE ]

That's both funny and sad. She must have very little faith in herself and women in general. It's not like you can't read up on this stuff. Maybe you should have offered her advice in the form of a recipie.
Old 12-11-2003, 11:35 AM
NutMeg is sleepy
Mr. Universe

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
, "You're a woman, you don't know anymore about this than I do."

[/ QUOTE ]

That's both funny and sad. She must have very little faith in herself and women in general. It's not like you can't read up on this stuff. Maybe you should have offered her advice in the form of a recipie.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've heard something similar. My best friend's mom, after hearing me list off some fairly knowledgeable sports trivia, she said, "of course she knows it, she learned it from her brother." I know she's old-fashioned in her mindset, so it didnt bother me at first until she continued when my best friend was trying to defend me with things like "But that's what she went to school for!" For some reason, I guess my bro did my homework for me and took my tests, it was just so odd.

But yeah, I bet you shoulda asked her what her views on some things were to find out she woulda fit in perfectly with women a few decades ago.

If it makes you feel better, I had this youg college athlete in here yesterday, saying he wanted to run faster, so I told him to do intervals, and helped set him up with a program (ok, so it's my job), but he did it, alternating a minute of 9.5mph with a minute of 7.5 mph! and went for at least a half hour. Said it kicked his butt and thanked me. No wait, he's younger. I bet it's the older or old-fashioned people that will think less of women's knowledge on fitness. Just know they're set in their ways and you're not going to change them. Oh, and try not to laugh too hard, when they come up and ask you advice later [img]/forum/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 12-11-2003, 05:05 PM
windsrprk should change his/her status!
Bantamweight

Poohbear, those guys must be immature and too macho to admit a gal can offer useful advice. Don't let them deter you from suggesting something to the next person! You'll find someone who will truly appreciate what you say. [img]/forum/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-11-2003, 06:21 PM
MS LADY should change his/her status!
Middleweight

When i go to the gym, I have no problem offering suggestions. Nor, do I have a problem asking how many more sets do you have, or can I work in. When they say no, I usually leave them standing with their mouths open, looking at me out of the corner of their eyes.

Some men are just too macho to admit a woman knows more than they. THAT IS WHY AS WOMEN WE MUST DEMAND RESPECT. We can do this simply by our ways and actions.

<font color="green">Mz. Lady's Journal of Temple Refinement</font>
<font color="purple">Mz. Lady's Nutrition Journal</font>

"In my life, GOd has closed a lot of doors in my face because He knew I was headed in the wrong direction. The good part is that He opened the right doors and steered me that way. If your gut feeling tells you that you are headed in the wrong direction, turn around before its too late."[img]/forum/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
http://diamonique.home.comcast.net/l.../anibanner.gif
[b]<font color="purple">

http://images.animationfactory.com/i...weightloss.jpg
Closed Thread