BF%--Fireproof?? - Page 2 - ABCbodybuilding

Go Back   ABCbodybuilding > Iron, Metal, & Steel!! > Female Specific Athletic Forum

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 10-24-2003, 03:02 PM
Tuf should change his/her status!
Mr. Universe

Default Re: BF%--Fireproof??

[ QUOTE ]
Here's the deal. Most women have a lot of subcutaneous fat on their arms and legs, yet it's "tight" against the bodypart making it very difficult to squeeze the fat to measure. This typically occurs on the triceps, thighs, and calves. The fact that you couldn't get a hold of anything may mean that you just aren't grabbing wide enough. There could be a lot of fat there.

Try flexing your calves. Can you see a lot of definition? If not, there's a layer of fat covering it. At any rate, caliper measurements aren't easy to take on everybody... some bodies are harder to measure than others, requiring a really skilled caliperist (is that a word? LOL).

You mentioned you can SEE the fat. Where can you see it?

This is hard to diagnose over the internet, but the calculator is right. If the bodyfat% isn't realistic, then the measurements are off somewhere...

[/ QUOTE ]
I can attest to what Fireproof is saying here. I have a terrible time trying to get a measurement on my thigh and my husband has a lot of difficulty measuring my tricep. I know that I have fat in those areas, but the skin is very tight and makes it hard to pinch anything. I just do my best, though I believe I grab some muscle along with the fat in those two measurments.
<font color="blue">We taped a lot of famous pictures on the locker-room door: Bobby Orr, Potvin, Beliveau, all holding the Stanley Cup. We'd stand back and look at them and envision ourselves doing it. I really believe if you visualize yourself doing something, you can make that image come true...I must have rehearsed it ten thousand times. And when it came true it was like an electric jolt went up my spine.</font>
-Wayne Gretzky

http://www.rhondariley.com/009/thumbs/005.jpg
"When prepping for a show, I look at my body as my grade and the training and diet as my homework. If I do my homework I will get a good grade."
-Rhonda Riley

<font color="009999">Click Here for ABC's Forum Rules</font>
<font color="purple">Click Here for ABC's Index of Bible Studies</font>
Old 10-24-2003, 03:09 PM
Bex should change his/her status!
Lightweight

The trainer did a 1pt test...using the Suprailiac site.
I would love to cut right now...BUT...I am in my 3rd week of the 24 MASS Workout....BULKING that is.
My problem here is diet....I suck at increasing cals....my ratios are comonly 35-40/30-35/25-30..
depends on the day. Total cals (and I KNOW! - INCREASE!) are typically between 1500-1900.
[img]/forum/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img] [img]/forum/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]
I don't start a cut until 12/1...which is fine...it is COOOLLDDD here so some Bulk will be nice for
the winter. [img]/forum/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
I would, ideally, like to be around 17% BF.... and at .5% per week that could take some time!
UGH!
Old 10-24-2003, 03:20 PM
Patyal68 should change his/her status!
Heavyweight

Have you started a journal? How about a diet journal? Definitively try to get some Accumeasure calipers. A 1 point test is not representative, as some parts of your body hold more fat than others.

You can still reduce your bodyfat while on a bulk (not as easy as on a cut, but possible). Opt for a clean bulk and post your diet for comments. You'll be surprised how a diet can change in a couple of posts [img]/forum/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 10-24-2003, 03:20 PM
Lightweight

OK, as much as I sit here and try to pretend this isn't bothering me.....ughhhhh! [img]/forum/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]
IT is KILLING ME! 23%!!! [img]/forum/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img] [img]/forum/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]
I know it's reality, but I can't help but feel frustrated, anxious, and just plain hopeless! [img]/forum/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
[img]/forum/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 10-24-2003, 03:23 PM
Heavyweight

Bex, don't feel bad. I still don't think that 23% is accurate. Before I started my cut, I was told I was 27% [img]/forum/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img] 5% higher than what I got with 9 point method. See what I'm talking about?? [img]/forum/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 10-24-2003, 03:31 PM
GetPsycho should change his/her status!
Olympia Contender

i wouldnt think twice about the results from a 1 point test
Old 10-24-2003, 03:37 PM
Fireproof should change his/her status!
Super-Heavyweight

A couple commments.

First, I didn't think you were questioning the calculator, but just wanted to clarify for others who may have been unsure. (And by the way, as much as I'd like to claim ownership - it was originally created by another ABC'er who didn't have a place to host it - so I stuck it up on the web).

Secondly, caliper testing isn't just "pinching". It actually takes a lot of practice and skill and is difficult to learn how to do from just an article or pics in a manual. So don't feel bad that your measurements were off.

Thirdly, women are notoriously more difficult to test than men due to the way their body holds the fat. I've tested lots of folks and man-fat just tends to be more squeezable and movable than woman-fat. [img]/forum/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

And finally, don't get hung up about whether you are 23% or 19% or whatever. What's important is finding a "fairly" accurate method to track your fat gain or loss and stick with it so you can notice TRENDS! Then you can learn how your body responds to various workouts or diets, etc. My wife combines caliper measurements with tape measurements. She measures the circumference of her upper thighs and butt on a regular basis, because that's where she tends to hold fat. It's something she can easily do to monitor herself and the trends have proven consistent with fat gain or loss. (Of course if you are trying to gain extreme amounts of muscle mass, this wouldn't be a good measurement for thighs...)

Just some thoughts. Don't let it get you down. But now that you got a 14 for calf and 10 for triceps, practice measuring to get those same measurements. That'll help you get the feel for accurate measurements.
Old 10-24-2003, 03:39 PM
Lightweight

I do keep my diet in Fitday, but I'll post a sample day for you here, along with workout:
10/20-Monday
6:30am
-coffee 12oz
-coffee mate - Hazelnut FF .25cup
-1 Scoop ON Choc/Mint
9:30am
-Almond Granola 1c
-Skim Milk .5c
-1 scoop ON Straw prot powder
11-12:00 - WORKOUT
12:30pm
-Met-Rx RTD
1:00pm
-Oroweat Bread 2 slices
-Tyson Rotisserie Chicken Breast
-FF Swiss cheese (1slice)
-1 leaf romaine lettuce
-Miracle whip light 1tbs
-Mustard 1tbs
-1oz Pringles FF S&amp;C chips
4:00pm
-Chicken Ench
--1c shredded chicken breast
--FF American Cheese
--FF sour cream
--.25 scoop ANY WHEY Pro powder
--WW Tortilla
-Yellow Corn .25c from canned
5:30pm - RUN
7:00pm
-1scoop ON Choc Mint
-.25c non-dairy whipped topping frozen lowfat [img]/forum/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img] ( I was having such a choc craving!)
P/C/F = 41/37/22
Cals= 1997
Workout
24 Mass Workout week 2 legs
Ran 3miles
Old 10-24-2003, 03:59 PM
Heavyweight

First, I must clarify I've never done a bulk. However, I can see some opportunities to improve your diet. The experts on bulking will jump with more, I'm sure [img]/forum/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
I do keep my diet in Fitday, but I'll post a sample day for you here, along with workout:
10/20-Monday
6:30am
-coffee 12oz
-coffee mate - Hazelnut FF .25cup
-1 Scoop ON Choc/Mint
<font color="brown">You need complex carbs like oatmeal. Add multivitamin, L-glutamine and creatine. Get rid off the coffee in this meal, better use it for your advantage while working out. Coffee helps to burn fat, so have your pre-workout meal, then wait 1 hour and have your coffee and workout 1/2 hour afterwards. This will improve your sensitivity to it and will give you an extra boast. </font>

9:30am
-Almond Granola 1c
-Skim Milk .5c
-1 scoop ON Straw prot powder
<font color="brown">Add your coffee at 10:30 am. Also, I'm not sure this is an optimum pre-workout meal. The protein shake is digested fast enough. I think it would be better a different source of protein that you digest slower. </font>

11-12:00 - WORKOUT
12:30pm
-Met-Rx RTD
<font color="brown"> This is very important, read the "Window of Opportunity" article (nutrition tab) to learn how to prepare your PWO shake. You need sodium, dextrose and maltodextrin and drink it according to the sipping method. </font>

1:00pm
-Oroweat Bread 2 slices
-Tyson Rotisserie Chicken Breast
-FF Swiss cheese (1slice)
-1 leaf romaine lettuce
-Miracle whip light 1tbs
-Mustard 1tbs
-1oz Pringles FF S&amp;C chips
<font color="brown"> Eat more lettuce, one leaf is nothing. Considering the fact you want to reduce fat, get off the miracle whip. Add EFA oils </font>

4:00pm
-Chicken Ench
--1c shredded chicken breast
--FF American Cheese
--FF sour cream
--.25 scoop ANY WHEY Pro powder
--WW Tortilla
-Yellow Corn .25c from canned
<font color="brown"> You need EFA oils here. It seems to me that this meal would be more beneficial to you as your pre-workout meal, and the one you are posting above would fit better here, before your cardio. </font>

5:30pm - RUN
<font color="brown"> Are you doing traditional cardio or HIIT? HIIT helps to burn fat </font>

7:00pm
-1scoop ON Choc Mint
-.25c non-dairy whipped topping frozen lowfat [img]/forum/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img] ( I was having such a choc craving!)
<font color="brown">The whipped top has to go out... I know [img]/forum/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] Sorry for breaking your heart. Do you spend 1.5 hours running? If not, what do you have after your cardio? A good choice is a protein shake and complex carbs, then have a meal about 1 hour later.
Also, is this your last meal? At what time do yo go to bed? </font>

P/C/F = 41/37/22
Cals= 1997
Workout
24 Mass Workout week 2 legs
Ran 3miles

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 10-24-2003, 04:12 PM
Lightweight

"Luuuuucccyyy...you got some esplain'n to do!" hee hee [img]/forum/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] [img]/forum/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Let's see...the pre-workout protein is mixed with milke and oats so it does digest slow.
I only ran 3 miles, so about 27-30mins...then I had the protein powder and whip cream at 7pm.
I go to bed around 9-9:30pm and get up at 4:30am. I agree with most of your advice....I'll make
some changes and see how it goes...although...I am not sure I can wait til 10:30am for coffee...given
that I get up at 4:30am.
Forgot to mention...I do take a MV, CLA, 5g L-glut, and just started taking creatine.
my running is a training program for a 1/2 marathon..so it is as follows.
Sun- 90min run
Mon - 3mile
Tues- 6xhills (sorta hitt)
Wed-3mile run (slow easy)
Thur-40min tempo run (aprox 7.5-8min per mile
Fri- Off
Sat - 3mile easy run
Closed Thread