Creatine - Gag Reflex - ABCbodybuilding

Go Back   ABCbodybuilding > Iron, Metal, & Steel!! > Female Specific Athletic Forum

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 10-20-2003, 03:10 PM
Bex should change his/her status!
Lightweight

Default Creatine - Gag Reflex

First I have to say...I feel like a complete idiot confessing to this...but....here goes.
I started using creatine for the first time ever yesterday....read all about the loading phase...
5g 4xday. SO! In my infinite wisdom...read the back of the bottle...says to take 1Tsp 4xday....I
understood it as 1TBS ( [img]/forum/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img] ) 4xday. I was also told to just scoop it right into my mouth and
swallow it down with water.
WELL! the first dose went down OK...a little shakey but not bad....the 2nd doese was tough! Had to
put the water in my mouth first and then dump the powder....duh....don't ask! [img]/forum/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
The 3rd (hey I'm a little slow on the uptake...what can I say [img]/forum/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img] ) I began thinking....man this is
a lot of creatine...so I read the label again....low and behold....it said 1TSP! [img]/forum/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img] [img]/forum/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]
OMG! What an idiot! I didn't take the final two...because I figured I had enough for the day....
however, this morning I litteraly had to gag down the first tsp and almost brought it back up.
Is there a better way? Can I mix it? If so with what? [img]/forum/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/forum/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]
Old 10-20-2003, 03:15 PM
GetPsycho should change his/her status!
Olympia Contender

Default Re: Creatine - Gag Reflex

WOW, you had 30g in those 2 tbsp's LOL, no biggie though. just make sure you are drinking lots of water.

if you want you can mix the creatine in water, but make sure you drink it immediately (or at least w\ in 3-4 minutes)

i prefer to drop it in my mouth b/c there seems to be some waste when you mix it in a glass. unless of course you keep adding water and drinking the residue about 10 times. its just easier, cleaner, more efficient to dump it in your mouth

did you get creapure creatine or just plain creatine monohydate? you didnt get that stuff loaded with sugar and flavor did you?

Old 10-20-2003, 03:28 PM
Lightweight

OH Boy! I am beginning to feel like a real moron!
First the good news....no flavored stuff for me....just plain ol' white, nasty tasting stuff.
Now the WHOOPS! As you can probably tell from other posts...I am a little impatient....and somewhat
hasty....given that...I went to GNC (I know, I know....don't say it) and bought the Creatine Monohydrate
for $11.99 (50 servings...unless you take too much to start with! [img]/forum/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img] [img]/forum/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img] ).
SO....Should I toss it and go buy something with creapure?
Speaking of creatine...it's almost time for another tsp....and my stomach is turning just thinking about
it.! UGH!

**Why a lot of water? What is considered a lot?
Old 10-20-2003, 03:38 PM
GetPsycho should change his/her status!
Olympia Contender

all the side effects of creatine can be taken care of from drinking lots of water. what is lots? i would shoot for a minimum of .77 x BW (in ounces)

the GNC creating should be fine

Old 10-20-2003, 04:00 PM
schless should change his/her status!
Super-Heavyweight

Hi Bex! I'm on day 5 of creatine loading myself, so I know what you mean. Though I never took a TBS at a time! [img]/forum/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] Here's what I do. I put a tsp in my mouth, then chase it with room temp water. It dissolves almost as soon as the water hits it, and I can swallow it right down. Then I take another swig of water and swish and swallow that. All done! No taste and very little grit. The initial placement of the powder on the tongue is kind of weird, but I think it's all a mental thing for me. Once loading is over, 2x/day is not bad at all. So hang in there! I know you can do it!

As far as the water goes, and I won't be able to be as technical as OS, JW, etc., but one of the side effects can be dehydration. That's because the water attaches itself to the creatine (or byproduct thereof?), thereby sending more water to your muscles and, in effect, taking valuable water away from your vital organs. You have to drink lots of water the counteract that. I read that somewhere - not sure if it was JW's article in the Nutrition tab or elswhere. I must say that, though I normally drink a boatload of water anyway, I've found myself more thirsty during this loading phase.

Lastly, for what it's worth, I take ProLab Creatine Monohydrate Powder. It's got the Creapure label and was relative inexpensive. I bought mine from dpsnutrition.net.

So keep at it! Just a few days of this and it will all settle out. You can do it! [img]/forum/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] [img]/forum/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 10-20-2003, 10:48 PM
Adam Knowlden should change his/her status!
Olympia Contender

Read this:

Creatine

Great advice schless! [img]/forum/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 10-21-2003, 09:43 AM
Lightweight

Thanks to all who replied! [img]/forum/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
I've managed to make it through two days....I think I am getting better at psyching myself up
to take it!
I hold water in my mouth and dump a tsp in swallow it down and wala, all done! Seems to be working
[img]/forum/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Good read on creatine...thanks OS. [img]/forum/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 10-24-2003, 02:52 PM
Jacques D should change his/her status!
Bantamweight

If you really don't like the taste, mix it with OJ.
Old 10-24-2003, 03:42 PM
Fireproof should change his/her status!
Super-Heavyweight

I mix mine with warm tap water. It dissolves more completely in water and I just chug it down in a couple gulps. I don't like the feel of the dry powder in my mouth like these other guys and gals do. [img]/forum/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

And don't worry about the creapure logo. Yes, it's good because it guarantees a level of quality, but as long as your buying a name-brand (GNC, Twinlab, Optimum Nutrition) you should be fine with just plain creatine monohydrate.
Old 10-24-2003, 03:56 PM
Lightweight

I do believe I will try that.....I quite literally get sick to my stomach even thinking about taking
creatine now! Thank God the loading phase is over...although... I didn't take all 4 "doses" yesterday.
I just couldn't do it last night!
So today, I have put off taking any...I'll get it in this evening with a shake. [img]/forum/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img] Makes me cringe
thinking about it...hopefully the warm water will help.
As always...THANK YOU! [img]/forum/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Closed Thread