Am I missing something?? - ABCbodybuilding

Go Back   ABCbodybuilding > Iron, Metal, & Steel!! > Female Specific Athletic Forum

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 10-17-2003, 01:33 PM
Frenchie should change his/her status!
Light-Heavyweight

Default Am I missing something??

[img]/forum/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img] [img]/forum/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img] I was soooooooo mad this morning!! It is the second time in two days that I am the subject of remarks while waiting for the train to get to work or to the gym. In both cases, I was reading bodybuilding articles (from the Hyperplasia magazine, that goes without saying [img]/forum/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] ) and on both occasions people made comments regarding steroids or the bulkiness of some female athletes. This morning, the guy sitting next to me started by saying: "Have you read the newspapers this morning? They found a new case of steroid abuse in athletes that has been condoned by sports practitioners for many years"....... [img]/forum/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] Sooooo??? I was waiting for the connection or better said the underlying statement that he was slowly making. Since I read bodybuilding and fitness articles, I must be on steroids as well!! [img]/forum/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img] Then came the statement: "Can I ask you a question? What is your interest in THAT? (that, said in a condescending manner, referring to bodybuilding)..... [img]/forum/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/forum/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] ????

That must be the most stupid question I have heard in many years!! [img]/forum/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] We live in a nation that has such a distorted perception of reality that I am praised for being a "good girl" for eating oatmeal in the morning - as though it were such an act of courage and devotion - while my co-workers are putting their Pop Tarts in the toaster or biting on their donuts; I am being given weird looks when I pop out my salmon and veggies for lunch while they are having greasy burgers or frozen prepared meals; and I am asked what is my interest in doing sports, as if it was such a weird habit..... or is it?

Increasingly, we are hearing stories of people who are trying to fight against the many diseases associated with obesity. People try to find easy routes or shortcuts to remedy the effects that it can have on their health without actually raising the real issues. Only a few days ago, I was reading on the front page of the newspapers an article on that 16-year old girl who will undergo a gastric bypass surgery in an attempt to get her weight down (currently at a staggering 472 lbs.). And the article went on by explaining how this method is becoming increasingly popular among obese people. But is this the real solution? Of course, it provides a short-term relief as you will have a decreased appetite and therefore will start to shed some weight down. But in the end, what will you learn from all of this? You will still continue your unhealthy habits, eating junk foods while laying on the couch in front of the TV set. You will never learn what proper nutrition is, how important exercise is - for your health, if nothing else - and more importantly, once a grown-up adult, you will never be able to teach those benefits to your children.

Ironically, just below the article on steroids was another article. This one was on the growing issue of obesity and how schools are trying to react in an attempt to fight the epidemic. Interestingly, it involved an experiment in which local high schools are trying to remove sodas and chips from vending machines and add fruit such as blueberries to burgers in an attempt to increase the consumption of fibers. Do we have to resort to those kinds of measures? And one can only wonder about the effectiveness of such measures when the kids' families themselves do not have a clue on what a proper meal should look like or what a healthy lifestyle is.

So why do I do all that? Strict diet, exercise, weightlifting.... For one reason, because in 10, maybe 20 years, I may not have to deal with clogged arteries, diabetes, cholesterol, heart disease, and increased risk of cancer. Above all, it is about having the feeling of doing something good for your body. There is something very satisfying about knowing your body, what you can do with it, listening to yourself, knowing your limits but being able to push yourself further each time you step in the gym. So yes, I DO belong to that category of weird people. But I am proud of it!!!!

<font color="brown"> ............ Noise of a co-worker munching on a bag on chips in the next cube..................... [img]/forum/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img] [img]/forum/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img] [img]/forum/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img] </font>

"Although others may ask why, you'll never be able to explain adequately. Only someone else with the same passion would understand"

Old 10-17-2003, 01:38 PM
IronKnuckle should change his/her status!
Heavyweight

Default Re: Am I missing something??

[ QUOTE ]
So yes, I DO belong to that category of weird people. But I am proud of it!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/forum/images/graemlins/ooo.gif[/img]*stands and claps* [img]/forum/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I'm wierd too!!!!!!
Workout Design I (split)
Workout Design II
Old 10-17-2003, 01:52 PM
RicoCPA should change his/her status!
Light-Heavyweight

Wow, that was an impressive rant!!!

By the way, what was your response to the guy sitting next to you?????
Weight: 184 lbs. (cutting, now)
BF%: 14.78% (as of 4/20/04)
Chest: 45" / Bicep: 15 1/2" / Forearm: 12 1/2" / Quad: 24" / Calf 16" (As of 2/5/04)
"Thou shalt not allow anything to deter you in your quest for ALL!!"
Old 10-17-2003, 01:53 PM
GetPsycho should change his/her status!
Olympia Contender

[ QUOTE ]
while my co-workers are putting their Pop Tarts in the toaster or biting on their donuts; I am being given weird looks when I pop out my salmon and veggies for lunch while they are having greasy burgers or frozen prepared meals; and I am asked what is my interest in doing sports, as if it was such a weird habit..... or is it?

[/ QUOTE ]

that is simply jealousy and other being envious of your dedication and will in your diet.

keep up the good work [img]/forum/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 10-17-2003, 02:01 PM
soccerchick should change his/her status!
Olympia Contender

i guess i'm weird too!

woohoo, i'm WEIRD and proud of it [img]/forum/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

what those co-workers that i see eating donuts every morning don't know that its the way they look from eating all those donuts that provide a small sense of motivation for me to eat right every day. i look at these men who look pregnant, eating 2 donuts in one half hour meeting and get grossed out.
Old 10-17-2003, 02:12 PM
Queen Maati should change his/her status!
Stranger

You go girl!! When I grow up, I want to be just like you! I guess Iím on my way to being WEIRD too! You keep being that true example to us beginners!

Lisa
Old 10-17-2003, 02:22 PM
W8lifter2 should change his/her status!
Light-Heavyweight

[ QUOTE ]

what those co-workers that i see eating donuts every morning don't know that its the way they look from eating all those donuts that provide a small sense of motivation for me to eat right every day. i look at these men who look pregnant, eating 2 donuts in one half hour meeting and get grossed out.

[/ QUOTE ]

Amen sister! In the same sentence, I hear "I can't believe you don't want a donut, but you have lost XX lbs, right?" Krispy Kreme Fridays are my motivation...
Old 10-17-2003, 03:06 PM
Light-Heavyweight

[ QUOTE ]
Wow, that was an impressive rant!!!

By the way, what was your response to the guy sitting next to you?????

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks!! [img]/forum/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

My initial reaction was actually to give him a mad look -> [img]/forum/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img] But then I simply ask "Do you really think you need to go on steroids to get through a sport session? Is that so hard to achieve without getting juiced? And do you really believe that all people going to the gym are on steroids?"....... [img]/forum/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] Hopefully, that's not the case.... [img]/forum/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

"Although others may ask why, you'll never be able to explain adequately. Only someone else with the same passion would understand"

Old 10-17-2003, 03:13 PM
Light-Heavyweight

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
while my co-workers are putting their Pop Tarts in the toaster or biting on their donuts; I am being given weird looks when I pop out my salmon and veggies for lunch while they are having greasy burgers or frozen prepared meals; and I am asked what is my interest in doing sports, as if it was such a weird habit..... or is it?

[/ QUOTE ]

that is simply jealousy and other being envious of your dedication and will in your diet.

keep up the good work [img]/forum/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, you are right. I think part of it may indeed be some sort of jealousy. But it is also a complete minsunderstanding - closed-mindedness?? - that if you don't go by the 3 squared meals and prefer to get healthy food and say no to candies, then you are not "normal". But what IS normal?

And thanks for the encouragements GP!! [img]/forum/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] [img]/forum/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Old 10-17-2003, 03:14 PM
Light-Heavyweight

[ QUOTE ]
i guess i'm weird too!

woohoo, i'm WEIRD and proud of it [img]/forum/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Great!! I think I found a bunch of weirdos just like me!! [img]/forum/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] [img]/forum/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Closed Thread