Supersets - ABCbodybuilding

Go Back   ABCbodybuilding > Iron, Metal, & Steel!! > Female Specific Athletic Forum

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 10-17-2003, 12:19 PM
Bex should change his/her status!
Lightweight

Default Supersets

I got into a little bit of a controvery over supersets at the gym...... I was minding my own business
lifting my weight (24 mass workout) which calls for supersetting....out of nowhere a fellow comes
up to "inform me" that if I am "trying" to superset, I am doing it wrong. He said I should do all
sets continuously...i.e. rows ss bent db lats right back to rows ss bent db lats and so on until all
sets are done....NO REST between ANY sets....
IS THIS CORRECT? Am I doing it wrong by resting between each superset..i.e rows ss bent db lats
REST 1-3mins rows ss bent db lats REST...etc...
I argued with him...but in the back of my mind I wondered if he was right...?? [img]/forum/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]
Old 10-17-2003, 12:36 PM
schless should change his/her status!
Super-Heavyweight

Default Re: Supersets

Yep, you're right. Rest between supersets. To do it continuously as he describes would be like doing a giant set (check out the Edge workouts in Cliffhanger from this site). There have been times when supersetting different body parts (ie, bi/tri) that I don't rest between supersets, but the bicep is resting while I'm working the tricep, so it works for me. (Though I usually only do that when I'm short for time.) But absolutely if you're supersetting exercises on the same muscle group, rest in between.
Old 10-17-2003, 12:39 PM
MikeM should change his/her status!
Middleweight

I think you were correct Bex. That is the way I do supersets. My example:
bicep curl superset tricep pressdown rest
bicep curl superset tricep pressdown rest

I don't know what you would call doing all the sets without resting except maybe crazy??

Old 10-17-2003, 12:52 PM
Lightweight

OH!! I LOVE to be right!!! [img]/forum/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
This site has taught me sooooo much....I am ever grateful!!!!! [img]/forum/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Can't wait to see that fellow again...although...I am sure he will still contend that he is all-knowing
when it comes to bbing....after all he is a GUY and I am just a girl.... [img]/forum/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]
No offense intended to the fine folks here on ABC! [img]/forum/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 10-17-2003, 12:56 PM
MikeM should change his/her status!
Middleweight

I am a guy and I take no offence to your comment as long as you remember not all guys are the same!! [img]/forum/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 10-17-2003, 01:12 PM
IronKnuckle should change his/her status!
Heavyweight

The real answer here is to use both as a shock. giant supersets (as I call them) are a very good way to get a pump. But it's hard to keep them fluid.
I always rest after 1 cycle though! (Move/Move/rest/Repeat) I might try doing them one right after the other with a lighter weight. I'm working up to it.
Resting in between is good because you get a chance to get mentally ready for a brutal set.

for more details read
Shock yourself out of the comfort zone
Superset bible

I hope you read this before you dismiss a very good approach to supersetting. (I only use these on a bulk)
Workout Design I (split)
Workout Design II
Old 10-17-2003, 01:12 PM
RicoCPA should change his/her status!
Light-Heavyweight

[ QUOTE ]
I am a guy and I take no offence to your comment as long as you remember not all guys are the same!! [img]/forum/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Great comment, obviously being a guy, I whole-heartly agree.

Check out the ABC guide to Supersets

Hope that helps! [img]/forum/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Weight: 184 lbs. (cutting, now)
BF%: 14.78% (as of 4/20/04)
Chest: 45" / Bicep: 15 1/2" / Forearm: 12 1/2" / Quad: 24" / Calf 16" (As of 2/5/04)
"Thou shalt not allow anything to deter you in your quest for ALL!!"
Old 10-17-2003, 01:29 PM
Fireproof should change his/her status!
Super-Heavyweight

Yep - you should rest between supersets, otherwise you are really creating a "giant" set which does have it's purpose.

Another point of clarification: "supersets" are generally referred to two back-to-back exercises for the same bodypart, while "compound supersets" is what you call back-to-back exercises for opposing muscles (for example, bis and tris supersetted together would be a compound superset).

And as Schless mentioned above, due to the "opposing" muscle getting some rest in a compound superset, many people either reduce rest time between sets or don't rest at all.

Keep up the good work!
Old 10-17-2003, 01:33 PM
Patyal68 should change his/her status!
Heavyweight

I think you should go to the gym with a copy of the articles and try to explain to this guy the difference between a superset and a giant set. Hand him a copy for his instruction and enlightement [img]/forum/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 10-17-2003, 02:15 PM
Lightweight

You guys and gals are the best....thanks for the information.....especially the clarification on the
different types of supersets...i.e. compound, giant, etc....I feel solid in my ability to distinguish
between them now! [img]/forum/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
AND...of course I know not all guys are the same...some actually know what they are talking about! [img]/forum/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] [img]/forum/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img] [img]/forum/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Closed Thread