I need all the help you can give me!!! - Page 2 - ABCbodybuilding

Go Back   ABCbodybuilding > Iron, Metal, & Steel!! > Female Specific Athletic Forum

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 10-16-2003, 03:54 PM
Jenn should change his/her status!
Middleweight

Default Re: I need all the help you can give me!!!

Welcome to the boards!

How did you lose weight the first time around?

Body for Life by Bill Phillips is a great way to start. You can pick up his book at the library. He covers diet and exercising and he is very motivational!

My highest weight (that I will admit to) was 267. Right now I am 152 but I'm on a bulk! (ok,you didn't need to know the bulk part but it's hard for me to actually admit I'm trying to gain weight)

My most recent lowest was 137.

Looking forward to seeing your diet!

Jenn's Journal
Old 10-16-2003, 04:27 PM
Queen Maati should change his/her status!
Stranger

Hello Jenn,

Your accomplishments are fantastic!! Please share with me on how you lose all of your weight.
As for me, the first go around was centered on me desiring complete control over my life and body. I was in the mist of divorcing my first husband and I truly did not like the way I looked or felt.
I began working out with my boyfriend at the time. (Now he is my husband) We would go to the track and walk/ jog for 45 min. It was so hard for. I remember gasping for air the first time around the track. I was also blessed to have a personal trainer that was employed at the company I work for. He placed me on a daily routine of cardio and weights. I also gave up red meat and pork. My husband is a vegetarian. I found that I felt better when I ate a diet of fruit, vegetables, turkey, chicken, beans, grains and fish. I was very consistent in my workouts and eating habits.
My downfall began after my surgery. I sat around all day doing nothing but watching TV and sleeping. A month after my procedure, I tried to go walking, but my foot hurt too much. February will be two years since my surgery and I packed on 44 pounds. This weight comes from eating too much junk.
Iím ready for a new start, and I feel so happy to be on this site.
I must say, YOU GO GIRL!! Your are were I desire to be. I know I will get their some day.
How long did it take you?

Lisa
Old 10-16-2003, 04:54 PM
Middleweight

Lisa

It took me 2 years to lose it all, I've been maintaing for around 2 years, I never really "started" on a given day. I lost it by low-carbing. I hate to say "Atkins Diet," but in truth that's what it was.

My main disappointment was that I didn't exercise while I was low-carbing. I started and stopped but never got really into it because I didn't have a plan.

I started Body-for-Life and that's when I really started exercising. I needed someone to tell me what to do, when to do it and how often. It was really a jumping off point for me.

Your diet sounds very healthy! Post what you eat in a day and everyone will be more than happy to check it out and give you some ideas!

Good luck

Jenn's Journal
Old 10-17-2003, 11:38 AM
Stranger

I stated to write down what I eat on a daily bases.

Breakfast: 2 cups of seed sticks, one green apple, coffee, and tp of half and half

Snack: 1 Peach

Before workout meal: One plan pack of Cream of Wheat

Meal after work out: Salad (2 cups of lettuce, Ĺ tomato, Ĺ cup of walnuts, low fat Italian dressing)

Snack: Orange

Dinner: 1 cup of bake ziti

Snack: Ĺ cup of strawberry ice cream

Water: 128 oz

Vitamins: Womanís multi pack

Work out: 30 minutes on the Cardio Glide, 1 hour leg workout with weights

What do you think?
Old 10-17-2003, 12:44 PM
soccerchick should change his/her status!
Olympia Contender

have you ever counted how many calories that is (seems low to me)? at first glance... i think your not eating enough nor enough of the right stuff! [img]/forum/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

look at the diet plans i linked above and read the post below. its a bodybuilder's grocery list. [img]/forum/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

http://www.abcbodybuilding.com/forum...o=&fpart=1
Old 10-17-2003, 01:03 PM
Middleweight

I am running out the door but I think soccerchick is right. Not enough calories, even with a 1/2 cup of walnuts.

And I don't really see any protein.

How do you feel during and after your workouts?

Check out the link soccerchick provided and see what foods are on there that sound good to you.

And is the strawberry ice cream an indulgence or something you have everyday?

Jenn's Journal
Old 10-17-2003, 01:04 PM
Middleweight

oh, one more thing, what's a seed stick?

Jenn's Journal
Old 10-17-2003, 01:45 PM
Stranger

Youíre right thatís not enough daily calories. How many calories do you think I should be eating? Remember I need to lose 71 pounds. Currently I weigh 226 pounds. Concerning me eating more protein, I am going shopping today to pick up some tuna, green leafy veggies and whey protein mix. When it comes to meat I only eat eggs, turkey, some chicken, and fish.

Seed sticks are sesame seed sticks.

I just started working out again yesterday. I felt pretty good after my work out. However, I found that I was hungry to. Thatís why I ate the salad right after working out. I am starting to realaize that I need to eat more in a day. Thank god for you all!

And for the ice cream, my baby girl asked me to make her an ice cream cone; and I had to have some. I need to work on that too.

Lisa
Old 10-17-2003, 01:48 PM
soccerchick should change his/her status!
Olympia Contender

hey there, in the 13 week fat burning diet article linked above, there is a formula for calculating your maintenance calories. i highly suggest reading it as its full of great info. and i think it will help you [img]/forum/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Old 10-17-2003, 01:57 PM
Patyal68 should change his/her status!
Heavyweight

Lisa,
Determining how many calories you need per day depends on your activity level. We are all different. You can read about it in the 13 weeks fat burning - the diet article. Here is a part of it:
[ QUOTE ]
How To Find Your Caloric Needs

It is important to understand that your caloric needs are different than mine, or the next person you come in contact with. This is a personal endeavor, that you must carefully calculate for yourself.

Take The Average

Taking your average calories per day is extremely simple. I personally do not like to list formulas, because they apply differently to everyone. What you do is count the total amount of calories you eat in a day for the next 3-5 days or so, then average out that amount. If you neither gained nor lost a pound, then that is your maintenance. Its important to find a regimen that maintains you. This is purely a testing method. Most bodybuilders already know how many calories they need to maintain. Which is why so many of you will like this as you have a good idea of what your maintenance calories are. For example, lets say you ate 3, 500 calories today, 3, 300 tomorrow and 3, 400 the next day and maintained your current weight. That's an average of 3, 400 calories a day. Therefore this is the total you need to remember, because this diet will force you to subtract calories from this amount.

For assistance you can find the sites calorie counter by clicking here

important note: Last time I discussed this method, I received several emails saying, that they ate the amount of calories that I discussed in the article exactly as I wrote it. This is understandable, because an example is easy to misread. However, it was still an example. Nothing more, nothing less, so it's important that you apply the principle to yourself, not by consuming exactly what I wrote down( I.E. 3,400 calories ), but by counting exactly what you consume to maintain your current weight.

Other Formulas

I'm sure many of you would like to know what formulas people end out using in this case. As I stated I prefer the athlete to get to know his or her body and calculate from there. However, I will list the 3 most popular methods for calculating your caloric needs, aside from the one listed above.

Method I - Method one for finding ones maintenance calories is to simply multiply your current body weight by the following numbers:

12-14 if your metabolism is slow
15 if you have an average metabolism
16-18 if you have a fast to super fast metabolism

For example, if you weigh 200 pounds and have an average metabolism, general maintenance for you would be 3, 000 calories. 200 x 15 = 3, 000 You can see how this can vary for many individuals, but it may give you a broader base of where you are at. If you have a super fast metabolism multiply this times 18. If you have a slower metabolism multiply your weight by 12-14, depending on how slow it is.

Method II - This is a method that calculates your basal metabolic rate, based on your height, weight and age. You expend energy no matter what you are doing, even when sleeping. Thus your Basal Metabolic Rate is the number of calories you'd burn if you stayed in bed all day - that's my kind of day!

Women: 661 + (4.38 x weight in pounds) + (4.33 x height in inches) - (4.7 x age) = BMR
Men: 67 + (6.24 x weight in pounds) + (12.7 x height in inches) - (6.9 x age)= BMR

Lets take a 200 pound male who is 22 and is 5-10.

67 + (6.24 x 200) + (12.7 x 70) - (6.9 x 22) - ( 6.9 x 22 ) = 1986

Next you need to calculate your activity level for the day by multiplying your BMR x's the following number that suites you.

1.2-1.3 = Very Light

1.5 for Moderate -

1.6-1.7 for Heavy -

1.8-2.1 for Insanely Rigorous -

If his energy expenditure is moderate than I would multiply 1986 by 1.5 and get 2,979 calories to maintain his current bodyweight weight.

Method III - This method is based on your lean body mass and your activity level. In order to find out your lean body mass simply purchase a pair of calipers and get a measure of your current body fat percentage. The calipers will have instructions. You can also have someone measure it for you at the gym. Its a rather simple process. Here are the steps to finding your daily maintenance needs.

1. Measure your Current Body fat. For example, lets say that you are 180 pounds and 12 percent body fat.
2. Calculate the amount of lean body mass that you have. Like so: 180 x .12 = 21.6 pounds of fat. Now subtract that from your weight. 180 - 21.6 = 158.4 pounds of lean body mass
3. Next in order to properly determine this formula you need to change your pounds into a measure of kilograms. This is simple, just divide your lean body mass weight by 2.2. So your lean body mass in kilograms is 158.4 / 2.2 = 72
4. The next thing you will do is calculate your Resting metabolic rate.

So we will calculate the calories you would need to maintain your weight if you were to lay on your behind and watch soap operas all day! In other words, if you did absolutely nothing. In order to do this
you would take the number 500 + ( 22 x your lean body mass ). Or 500 + ( 22 x 72) = 2084 calories

Next you need to calculate your activity level for the day.

1.2-1.3 = Very Light

1.5-1.6 for Moderate -

1.6-1.7 for Heavy -

1.9-2.1 for Insanely Rigorous -

Now multiply your caloric needs times the number that fits you best. Lets say this particular person has a moderate activity level during his day. Then you would multiply 1.5 x 2084 = 3126 calories a day to maintain his weight.

These are the three of the most popular formulas. Again I prefer the averaging of calories per day. But these will certainly give you a better base to work with.

[/ QUOTE ]

Also, keep in mind that losing weight does not mean stop eating. But eating healthy, at the proper time and the proper nutrients.

Have you read any of the articles in the nutrition tab about fat burning? I highly recommend you to do so, so you have a better understanding on how to manipulate your metabolism. Good luck
Closed Thread