Go Back   ABCbodybuilding > Iron, Metal, & Steel!! > Online Training Journal

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 03-26-2004, 07:43 PM
Jenn should change his/her status!
Middleweight

Default Re: Dearheart\'s Training Journal ~ Comments Welcome

This is one response I got from someone with mild PCOS

She also needs to keep her fats REALLY high, LOTS OF WATER, and not worry about coffee or tea - a few cups of either are fine. It's the only thing Atkins is wrong about.

Tell her to eat a cup of well-buttered or dressed low carb veggies (salad, broccoli, cauliflower) with every meal and she won't feel sick, I promise.

For example:
Breakfast: 3 eggs, 3 slices of bacon, cup of steamed broccoli with butter
Lunch: salad, chicken breast, half avocado, low carb dressing, such as blue cheese
Dinner: steak fried in butter, green beans with butter

Snacks: macadamia nuts with creamcheese, celery with creamcheese, pork rinds with guacamole, sugar free jello with splash of whipping cream.

The dizzy feeling goes after a couple of days. Tell her to do 40g of net carbs when she starts - 20 might be too low. Once she's used to it, she might just be able to stay there and have it work, particularly if she's active.

PCOS is hardcore. The only way to fight it is hardcore. Plain and simple. Drop your carbs and do some lifting, or it WON'T go away - it'll only get worse. Eating carbs and doing cardio won't work. I tried. I gained 30 pounds in two years running 10k three time a week on low-fat high carbs. Totally useless when you have insulin resistance.

God is giving you the way to get healthy - it's just your diet. No drugs, no hunger - just switch your macronutrients and tough out the first few days. I took Metformin too. You won't need it on low carb. You are on such a low dose that going off it for a few days wouldn't kill you even if you continued to eat high carb. Check with your doctor to be sure. But unless you have full-blown type II diabetes, you can safely drop the Metformin, at least for a few days to see what happens to your sugars while you do this.

The good news is that it is the easiest thing to do once you get past the first three days. Tell her to track and plan her diet with www.fitday.com, so she can see how it all breaks down. Should be about 60-65% calories from fat, 30% from protein, 5-10% from net carbs (closer to 5 is better - like 7% really should be the most).

Take a few days off work to do this, until you get it sorted out. That's what I did.

Note that fitday calculates the NET carbs when calculating the percentages - I checked.

Here are few of her pics:
http://www.femininemuscle.com/phpBB2...ad.php?id=2715
http://www.femininemuscle.com/phpBB2...ad.php?id=2716

What do you think?

Jenn's Journal
Old 03-28-2004, 12:18 AM
dearheart should change his/her status!

wow... to be honest I'm a little stunned... bacon... butter... I can agree with keeping the fats in there but I think I'd feel better about adding flaxseed oil or olive oil or Udo's.... yikes. I'm not sure about that. Plus I will be cooking for my husband too who has a high cholesterol problem (skinny, but it's genetic) so I won't be cooking that way for him.

I do believe God is giving me the way to get healthy too. A number of years ago I was crying, on my knees, begging for God to help me with my face. (Cystic acne is one of the most devestating symptoms of PCOS) I was asking God for new skin. The answer came clear. "Cut out the sugar" Back then, I didn't believe Him. I didn't think I could do it. And now, after finding Body Rx and this new lifestyle I know He was right. (Duh, isn't God ALWAYS right??) It's been a long lesson and even now I will doubt and have some sugary stuff.

I was just reading on soulcysters and there are ladies there that don't do low carb and are finding success. There was even a recent study done comparing obese PCOS ladies on high protein vs. high carb diets.... both calorie restrictive. Both groups lost weight, but there wasn't enough difference between the two to recommend low carb for PCOS ladies... mind you, many many PCOS ladies will tell you different in thier experience. That's why I've been a bit confused as to why I am different with the low carb... but I guess there are ladies that do exist with PCOS and are not low carbing.... it's all very interesting.

As for the metformin issue. I had already begun BRX before being dx with PCOS. I had gotten my blood sugar under control. When I was tested my sugar was normal. I asked my Dr if I had to be on metformin though and he said yes. And I am so glad I am! I've had two cycles now that I've ovulated on my own!! And that is my priority! I'm very excited about this! I haven't had two consecutive ovulating cycles since 1993! I am not willing to let go of the metformin just yet. :-)

I actually just bought the fitday software and love it!

I am willing to dress up my veggies a bit more just so that I will eat more of them. :-)

I'm still working out the nutrition side of things.... but here is what I've worked out for the exercise part of it.
I need to work out with my husband. We work out at home. I need him to spot. We have an elliptical trainer, bench, free weights and ball... and soon a chinning bar (once we can find a place to install it in this 1932 home)

5:45 am
4 sets total: 15 regular reps, 2 drop sets: 15 reps, 10 reps

Monday Bench Press (bar)
Incline Press (DB)
Incline Fly (DB)
Pushups (to fatigue)
Close grip bench press
DB skull crushers
Bench dips (fatigue)

Wed Dead Lifts -Stiff Leg
1 arm DB row
Chins (failure)
Standing BB bicep curl
Seated DB hammer curl
Crunches
Reverse Crunches

Thur Squats Ball 10x - super set with 1 leg wall/ball squats 10x
Lunges (front,back,hook)
Hamstring curls - ball; hold 10 sec, 10x
Seated shoulder press DB
Standing lateral raise
Bent over lateral raise

Tues & Fri: 20 min HIIT on trainer: 5 min warm up, 1:1, 5 min cool down

I also really like my 20 minutes of stretching, either regular or power so i will try to work that in sometime during the day... maybe when son is napping or in the evenings.

I am going with these exercises and sets because it's what my personal trainer has set up for me. it was a 5x/week arrangement, but hubby and I are finding that is too much too expect with the other things that are important to us. I am excited that he has agreed to workout in the mornings with me. That will free up our evenings! Yippee! We've been kind of doing this drop set thing for 4 weeks now, but it has not been consistent. I want to at least do the drop sets for anohter 4-6 weeks, since we paid her for this tailor-made program and I can't honestly say it hasn't worked, since I haven't honestly worked the program. know what I mean? ;-)

So, I will continue to read up on the nutrition side of things and have something to post tomorrow. it's time to go grocery shopping so it's good timing.

Thanks for doing some research for me. i really appreciate that! btw, i couldn't access those pictures. I probably need to sign up as a member. the hour is getting late so I will save that for another day.

28 yrs old
5'3"
April '03~~~Nov '04
159lbs~~~~~~~~130 lbs
23.2%BF~~~~~~16-18%
chest 38
waist 37.5"~~~30
hips 42" ~~ 38.5
bicep ~~~~~~~~~12
upper thigh 24"~~~21"

Old 03-30-2004, 12:44 AM

Monday: 20 min HIIT Elliptical trainer: 5 min warm up, 12 min 1:1, 3 min cool down

As recorded in Fitday software:
Calories burned: 2767
Calories Intake: 2684
Protein:198g
Carb:243g
Fiber: 56g
Fat: 83g

Bad foods today were the chocolate chunk oatmeal cookies. Hubby and I finshed those off so no more temptation. he he he

my goals:
125 lbs by June 12
Currently 135lbs
.77 lb/week to lose
40% Protein: 224g
40% Carbs: 224g
60g Fiber
20% Fat: 50g

that's all for tonight... gotta get to bed, so I can get up in the morning to lift some weights!

Most of my carbs will come from veggies and fruit, other carbs will be large flake oatmeal, whole grain bread (5g of fiber per slice) minimal rice, and sweet potatoes

Protein sources will be chicken breast, lean cuts of beef, buffalo, pork tenderloin, fat free deli meat, 1% cottage cheese

28 yrs old
5'3"
April '03~~~Nov '04
159lbs~~~~~~~~130 lbs
23.2%BF~~~~~~16-18%
chest 38
waist 37.5"~~~30
hips 42" ~~ 38.5
bicep ~~~~~~~~~12
upper thigh 24"~~~21"

Old 03-30-2004, 09:01 AM
Syddles should change his/her status!
Super-Heavyweight

Hey girl. I didn't know this journal was here! [img]/forum/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

I'm all caught up now! I noticed you have PCOS. I have that too. It's poop! [img]/forum/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img] How have you been holding up? Is your acne doing any better?

I look forward to reading more of your journal. [img]/forum/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 03-30-2004, 11:24 AM

Hi Syddles! Thanks for the note! I haven't been very consistent with the posting here. :-)

My acne has improved from a few years ago, but I still have flare ups at least twice a week. It's on my jawline. When I was pregnant it cleared up and that was wonderful!

I've read some of your journal too and you're very inspiring! wow!

So, what symptoms of PCOS do you have? How has weight lifting hardcore effected them?

4 sets total: 15 regular reps/ 2 drop sets: 15 reps/ 10 reps

Bench Press (bar) 60#x15/ 70#x6, 60#x9/70#x6, 60#x9/60#x10
Incline Press (DB) 15# eachX15/10#eachx6,15# ea.x9/10#eachx6,15# ea.x9/20# ea.x10
Incline Fly (DB) SKIPPED :-(
Pushups (to fatigue)3sets: 2/0/3
Close grip bench press SKIPPED
DB skull crushers 10# ea.X 15/15#ea.X6, 10#ea.X9/5#ea.X6, 10#ea.X9/15#ea.X10

Calories Eaten: 1912
Calories Burned: 2869
P/C/F
157/148/61
40g Fiber
34%/32%/28%

no cheat foods today.... I maybe need to cut back on the cheese... too much fat

My body is having to get used to eating more food again. I had gotten used to it during BRX, but I've slacked off lately. I know I will get there... but the last couple days I've felt stuffed. I know my metabolism will kick in a few days and I'll be hungry, hungry!

Bench dips (fatigue)3 sets: 9; 4;6

28 yrs old
5'3"
April '03~~~Nov '04
159lbs~~~~~~~~130 lbs
23.2%BF~~~~~~16-18%
chest 38
waist 37.5"~~~30
hips 42" ~~ 38.5
bicep ~~~~~~~~~12
upper thigh 24"~~~21"

Old 03-30-2004, 06:13 PM
Super-Heavyweight

[ QUOTE ]
My acne has improved from a few years ago, but I still have flare ups at least twice a week. It's on my jawline. <font color="red">That is great! [img]/forum/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]</font> When I was pregnant it cleared up and that was wonderful! <font color="red">I guess all that extra estrogen during pregnancy is good for something, huh? [img]/forum/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]</font>

I've read some of your journal too and you're very inspiring! wow! <font color="red">Thanks. [img]/forum/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img] [img]/forum/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]</font>

So, what symptoms of PCOS do you have? How has weight lifting hardcore effected them? <font color="red">I have acne, mood swings (I was misdiagnosed as bipolar, once), irregular periods, hirsutism, and have recently discovered I have type II diabetes. The facial hair can get pretty excessive, but that isn't too much of a problem because I just shave it off every other day. I'm going to soon get a cream from my gyno that's supposed to slow that down, though. My acne used to be really bad (like you, it still flares up), but it's toned down a lot since I've been on the pill... the pill hasn't helped my menstrual cycle much, which lasts about 13-20 days. [img]/forum/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] Weight lifting has helped me out considerably. I think exercise and my diet are the only reason I am not overweight (apparently, I've been insulin resistant since I hit puberty, which is when all my symptoms started). I don't want to take drugs if I can help it. [img]/forum/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]</font>

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 03-31-2004, 02:06 PM

Wednesday: Back/Bis/Abs ** son woke up early again.. grrr will have to get the hammer curls later today

4 sets total: 15 regular reps, 2 drop sets: 15 reps, 10 reps

Dead Lifts -Stiff Leg
60x15/80x6,70x9/80x6,70x9/70x10
1 arm DB row
20x15/32x6, 30x9/32x6,30x4,25x5/25x10
Chins (failure)
SKIPPED
Standing BB bicep curl
30x15/30x6,20x9/30x6,20x9/20x15
Seated DB hammer curl
SKIPPED
Crunches
3 sets of 20
Reverse Crunches
3 sets of 10

28 yrs old
5'3"
April '03~~~Nov '04
159lbs~~~~~~~~130 lbs
23.2%BF~~~~~~16-18%
chest 38
waist 37.5"~~~30
hips 42" ~~ 38.5
bicep ~~~~~~~~~12
upper thigh 24"~~~21"

Old 03-31-2004, 02:24 PM

Syddles - wow... you sure have had to deal with a lot and all by age 19! my gyno history has been quite involved too. Endometriosis, Ectopic miscarriage, Hyperplasia in the uterus, and now PCOS. I have had a miracle though with my son. :-) I am so thankful for our gift. he's now two! We'd like to start trying for another one. My chart shows that I've ovulated a third time now!!! This is so encouraging. All the more motivation to keep going with this new lifestyle. I thank God so much for leading me to this.

So, I was reading in your journal that you don't do the PWO shake because of insulin resistance. Yesterday I had a glass of OJ before working out, then had breakfast of protein and carbs about 45 min after. I crashed big time. Didn't ever really recover. Today I didn't have anything to eat before working out. I had a glass of OJ immediately after working out then I had breakfast about 45 min after the glass of OJ. Breakfast had a balance of carbs and protein. today I didn't crash. what gives? Do you see a significant difference in that? What are you doing now right before and after a workout?

What did you think of what Jenn had found about increasing my fat intake in a few previous posts?

Thanks so much for having a look in my journal! i really appreciate it!

28 yrs old
5'3"
April '03~~~Nov '04
159lbs~~~~~~~~130 lbs
23.2%BF~~~~~~16-18%
chest 38
waist 37.5"~~~30
hips 42" ~~ 38.5
bicep ~~~~~~~~~12
upper thigh 24"~~~21"

Old 03-31-2004, 05:38 PM
Super-Heavyweight

[ QUOTE ]
I have had a miracle though with my son. :-) I am so thankful for our gift. he's now two! We'd like to start trying for another one. My chart shows that I've ovulated a third time now!!! This is so encouraging. All the more motivation to keep going with this new lifestyle. I thank God so much for leading me to this.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is wonderful dearheart. [img]/forum/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] I will pray for you and your family. ^_^

[ QUOTE ]
So, I was reading in your journal that you don't do the PWO shake because of insulin resistance. Yesterday I had a glass of OJ before working out, then had breakfast of protein and carbs about 45 min after. I crashed big time. Didn't ever really recover.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you mean you had the breakfast after working out?

[ QUOTE ]
Today I didn't have anything to eat before working out. I had a glass of OJ immediately after working out then I had breakfast about 45 min after the glass of OJ. Breakfast had a balance of carbs and protein. today I didn't crash. what gives? Do you see a significant difference in that? What are you doing now right before and after a workout?

[/ QUOTE ]

OJ doesn't spike insulin as much as the PWO shake.

To my understanding, while it is moderate on the GI, scale, it's not high enough to cause an insulin spike, and it's not too low to where it won't replenish your body's energy. Having a meal shortly afterwards entailing a balance of carbs and protein will help maintain blood glucose levels after a workout.

When you workout, you burn up your body's glycogen stores and whatever carbohydrates you previously consumed. If you don't have enough, this puts you at risk of hypoglycemia, or low blood sugar. Having PCOS, you're at risk for insulin resistance, so glucose won't get into your cells as easily and we're more prone to hypoglycemia.

Before I lift weights in the morning, I have 1/2 c oatmeal, 1 banana, and 5-7 egg whites. The banana is somewhat high-GI, but it will give your body some quick energy before your workout. The oatmeal and protein from egg whites will help keep blood glucose stable. Overall, I feel really good during my workout.

Before cardio in the morning, I have 1/2 or 1 whole grapefruit (a very low-GI carb), and about 30-40g of whey protein.

Regardless of what I do in the gym, I always have 4 ounces of fruit (usually an apple, because of the fibre content), 20-40g of whey, and 1 tsp. flax seed oil. The apple helps quickly replenish energy. The EFAs in the flax increase insulin sensitivity which will help manage blood sugar throughout the day. An hour or so later, I have a meal with something like oatmeal, protein, 1 tsp. flax, and some fruit.

I'm not sure if all that info is correct, but that's how I understand it, and it works for me. So, yeah. [img]/forum/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 04-01-2004, 11:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
So, I was reading in your journal that you don't do the PWO shake because of insulin resistance. Yesterday I had a glass of OJ before working out, then had breakfast of protein and carbs about 45 min after. I crashed big time. Didn't ever really recover.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you mean you had the breakfast after working out?

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess my "break-fast" was just a glass of OJ right before working out. Then after the workout I didn't have anything to eat immediately. I had a meal 45 min. after working out. Probably too long to wait after an intense workout. I've tried the PWO shake before and felt way too jittery. So a happy medium like what you do sounds like it will work for me too. I will definitely try the 4 oz of fruit.

Thanks for the input! Tomorrow is pay day so I will be able to get some Udo's or flax oil. I've been using Kraft Ranch dressing with has no trans fats and some Omega 3 & 6, but the third ingredient is sugar so I'm not completely happy about that. But I think it's helping me to get some good fats in. And my body is responding already to the better eating. :-)
__________________________________________________ _

Thursday: Rest

It feels geat to be sore again! Gotta love the DOMS! While at the park with my son yesterday I tried a couple chins and then on some parallel bars I did some shoulder shrugs. Wow! I haven't felt those muscles before! It's a good sore! [img]/forum/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

28 yrs old
5'3"
April '03~~~Nov '04
159lbs~~~~~~~~130 lbs
23.2%BF~~~~~~16-18%
chest 38
waist 37.5"~~~30
hips 42" ~~ 38.5
bicep ~~~~~~~~~12
upper thigh 24"~~~21"

Closed Thread