Creatine (again!) Which one?? - ABCbodybuilding

Go Back   ABCbodybuilding > Iron, Metal, & Steel!! > Female Specific Athletic Forum

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 10-14-2003, 09:18 AM
Bex should change his/her status!
Lightweight

Default Creatine (again!) Which one??

OK, OK, I just read Teletummy's post on creatine....but I didn't want to crowd in on her....so here's
my own.
After reading Teletummy's post I went on a search regarding creatine and I must say there is sooooo
much out there. My question is, what is the difference between Phosphagen HP and Pro-lab
creatine Monohydrated....well not neccessarily the difference, but which is recommended? I am
bulking right now and have NEVER used creatine but would like to see what, if any, affects it will
have on me.
Also, the recommended "dosage" (based on my weight, 140, and BF% 19%- according to BBing.com) is 19.1g/d
during loading and 1.9g/d maint. Is this correct???
I am sorry to be repetitive....just trying to get as much info as I can before I venture out and buy just
any ol'creatine.
TIA!!!!! [img]/forum/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 10-14-2003, 09:29 AM
Tuf should change his/her status!
Mr. Universe

Default Re: Creatine (again!) Which one??

Hi, Bex. [img]/forum/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

First, read this.

[ QUOTE ]
My question is, what is the difference between Phosphagen HP and Pro-lab
creatine Monohydrated....well not neccessarily the difference, but which is recommended?

[/ QUOTE ]
Use creatine monohydrate.

You don't have to use your body weight to figure out your amounts. Just go ahead and have it according to the general suggested doses.

As I explianed in Teletummy's post, you can load creatine for 5 days and then maintain for 4-6 weeks after that. In the loading phase you should consume 20-25 grams each day, spaced between 4-5 servings. In the maintenance phase you should consume 5-10 grams a day, taking 5g in the morning and 5g post-workout on lifting days, and 5g in the morning only on non-lifting days.

In general, you should cycle off creatine for 2-4 weeks before loading again. Good times to consume it during the loading phase are: breakfast, post-workout, lunch, pre-bed, and one of your other meals in between the aforementioned times if you choose to take 25 g each day (I loaded with 20 grams, so I just took it 4 times per day). With the exception of post-workout, it is ideal to take it on an empty stomach, as that would result in a much better insulin response.
<font color="blue">We taped a lot of famous pictures on the locker-room door: Bobby Orr, Potvin, Beliveau, all holding the Stanley Cup. We'd stand back and look at them and envision ourselves doing it. I really believe if you visualize yourself doing something, you can make that image come true...I must have rehearsed it ten thousand times. And when it came true it was like an electric jolt went up my spine.</font>
-Wayne Gretzky

http://www.rhondariley.com/009/thumbs/005.jpg
"When prepping for a show, I look at my body as my grade and the training and diet as my homework. If I do my homework I will get a good grade."
-Rhonda Riley

<font color="009999">Click Here for ABC's Forum Rules</font>
<font color="purple">Click Here for ABC's Index of Bible Studies</font>
Old 10-14-2003, 09:32 AM
teletummy should change his/her status!
Middleweight

No crowding at all, Bex! [img]/forum/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

I am not so well versed in creatine but many here will recommend that whatever you get, make sure it's got a creapure logo on it to ensure quality. Just pure creatine monohydrate with the creapure logo with brands Prolab, Optimum Nutrition and EAS.

Fireproof had an excellent post last time which I'll quote here:

[ QUOTE ]
Most people on here recommend against Cell-Tech - it's just creatine with a ton of sugar and calories in it. Nothing magical and definitely not ideal if you take it anytime other than immediately following a workout.

The Creapure logo ensures a level of quality, but there are other quality creatines without the logo. Go with a reputable brand and get pure creatine monohydrate. Twinlab, Prolab, EAS, and Optimum Nutrition are good brands.

Look for "micronized" or "instantized" which signifies that it's processed very finely for ease of mixing or dissolving.

<font color="red">____________________ [ The Beauty of Symmetry and Power ] __________________</font>

Maintenance calories = 1908-2226
BMR = 1498.98
Old 10-14-2003, 09:38 AM
Fireproof should change his/her status!
Super-Heavyweight

[ QUOTE ]
In general, you should cycle off creatine for 2-4 weeks before loading again.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't agree with this. People *used* to follow this rule of thumb, but I don't believe there's been any research to show the benefit of doing this. In fact, in ABC's Creatine article, they mention that many people nowadays are just "re-loading" every couple months, without ever going off of it.

[ QUOTE ]
<font color="green">
: Do I need to Cycle Creatine?

A: My recommendation is to load for 5 days, followed by a 5-10 gram maintenance dosage for 4-6 weeks. Following this, there are two particular strategies:

1. You can take one to two weeks off and then start the cycle over. Many athletes attest to receiving a better results this way.

2. However, several athletes will never come off of it. They will load it for 5 days, maintain for a few weeks and then reload again. This is increasingly becoming the more popular method of usage.</font>

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm one of those people that use Strategy #2 - I do well on it 100% of the time (I don't see why you wouldn't). (Granted, if I were to stop lifting, I'd probably stop taking it, but as long as I'm lifting hardcore, I take it). And as the article suggests, I take 5-10g daily to maintain.
Old 10-14-2003, 09:45 AM
Mr. Universe

Yes, I agree with you, Fireproof. As I said, "in general" that is what many people do.
<font color="blue">We taped a lot of famous pictures on the locker-room door: Bobby Orr, Potvin, Beliveau, all holding the Stanley Cup. We'd stand back and look at them and envision ourselves doing it. I really believe if you visualize yourself doing something, you can make that image come true...I must have rehearsed it ten thousand times. And when it came true it was like an electric jolt went up my spine.</font>
-Wayne Gretzky

"When prepping for a show, I look at my body as my grade and the training and diet as my homework. If I do my homework I will get a good grade."
-Rhonda Riley

Old 10-14-2003, 09:47 AM
Lightweight

WOW! and the light goes on! GREAT link....answered every question I had and even addressed some
concerns (water weight).
Thanks so much Tuff!!!! I appreciate your advice, even more so that you repeated it for me!
You are truly an asset to this site! [img]/forum/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 10-14-2003, 09:49 AM
Fireproof should change his/her status!
Super-Heavyweight

Gotcha! [img]/forum/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 10-14-2003, 09:49 AM
Mr. Universe

[img]/forum/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] No problem, Bex. [img]/forum/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
-Wayne Gretzky

-Rhonda Riley

Old 10-14-2003, 09:54 AM
Lightweight

Thanks for jumping in Teletummy and Fireproof.....I just LOVE this site! You are all such a wealth
of great information!
Just curious here, and YES this is probably a stupid question.....if I quit using creatine after a period
of time....are there any noted affects, such as, increased soreness, atrophy, withdrawls (hee hee just
kidding! -I thought the question, in Tuff's link, about getting the "jitters" was funny!)?
Old 10-14-2003, 01:10 PM
Mr. Universe

Bex, I *think* I have read that some loss in strength can be expected. You may want to search through the forums and see what you can find. [img]/forum/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
-Wayne Gretzky

-Rhonda Riley

Closed Thread