subject i need ur opinon on (not about girls) - ABCbodybuilding

Go Back   ABCbodybuilding > Iron, Metal, & Steel!! > Female Specific Athletic Forum

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 10-12-2003, 06:40 PM
HitItHard should change his/her status!
Lightweight

Default subject i need ur opinon on (not about girls)

http://www.cnn.com/2003/HEALTH/diet.....ap/index.html

read that. i thought it was interesting. how do you guys feel about it
Old 10-12-2003, 06:49 PM
Elle should change his/her status!
Light-Heavyweight

Default Re: subject i need ur opinon on (not about girls)

Ok....I didn't read the whole thing, but I do like to have mirrors around when I lift so I can check my form. I just don't like the mirrors in my gym cuz they are the "make-you-look-wider-than-you-are-for-the-male-ego" mirrors!
Old 10-12-2003, 07:05 PM
Patyal68 should change his/her status!
Heavyweight

I just don't see why they focus on women for this article. First, I do believe mirrors are a must in any decent gym to make sure form is correct. Also helps in posing. Both done by men and women.
Old 10-12-2003, 09:19 PM
ZachE84 is stretching 24/7.
Super-Heavyweight

Another person that has no experience in the field trying to make statements. It happens too much, article is [*%#*%*#].

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will." Vince Lombardi

Eat, Sleep, Train!
Old 10-12-2003, 10:51 PM
Bigpete should change his/her status!
Light-Heavyweight

Mirrors are can really help with the mind-muscle connection, which makes them an important part of any gym. I also agree with the concern about form. Why did it only include women [img]/forum/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] ??????
Old 10-13-2003, 09:01 AM
soccerchick should change his/her status!
Olympia Contender

i love the mirrors for checking my form and seeing how my muscles look [img]/forum/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 10-13-2003, 11:07 AM
teletummy should change his/her status!
Middleweight

Maybe the women in the story's not concentrating when they're exercising? But I found it strange that they only talked about mirrors and cardio. How about weights? I don't need mirrors to see myself when running or cycling. But I need them when lifting to ensure correct form.
<font color="red">____________________ [ The Beauty of Symmetry and Power ] __________________</font>

Maintenance calories = 1908-2226
BMR = 1498.98
Old 10-15-2003, 11:00 AM
angelap should change his/her status!

i agree with the others, i like having mirrors, they help me with my form and on top of that if they do point out a flaw, it is something &gt;I&lt; want to notice not have someone else notice and have to share it with me, so &gt;I&lt; know what i need to work on.
1 Corinthians 13:13 "Now abide these three; faith, hope, and love, but the greatest of these is love."
Old 10-15-2003, 04:04 PM
Erikabomb should change his/her status!

I will probably get yelled at for this, but I actually agree somewhat with the article because it says "beginners" do not like the mirror. I believe that most non-active women that decide to work out do not want to see themselves in the mirror at first because they are self conscious of themselves. I think it would take some improvements in their body before they would like to see what they look like. Also when you are first getting started with exercise I think a lot of people just want to get into the swing of things first then worry about form, I am not saying this is the correct way to do it, just something I think happens by looking around at my gym. The article did say that for active women the mirror was actually a positive.

Insert from article:

However, the bad experience with mirrors may not be true of more advanced exercisers, the study said. Other researchers have found that highly active women who exercised in front of a mirror felt better for it, possibly because they got to show themselves how good they did.

Since most of the women in this forum are advanced that would agree with what the article is saying. That way they can see their form and be in their best form possible.
Old 10-15-2003, 04:47 PM
Serendipity should change his/her status!
Heavyweight

Personally, I need the mirror to see what I am doing. Even if I'm doing aerobics. Otherwise I might start slacking off or something.
Closed Thread