Someone please help me - Page 2 - ABCbodybuilding

Go Back   ABCbodybuilding > Iron, Metal, & Steel!! > Female Specific Athletic Forum

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 10-12-2003, 12:48 AM
teletummy should change his/her status!
Middleweight

Default Re: Someone please help me

MJ, looks like I got here late. Those are pretty good advice. The one that stuck with me was the one about making time for myself. Sometimes, I feel like I'm forever chasing time but then if I don't make the time for myself, I won't be having any time for myself in the end. I wish you all the best. Whatever you do and enjoy doing, make time for yourself.
<font color="red">____________________ [ The Beauty of Symmetry and Power ] __________________</font>

Maintenance calories = 1908-2226
BMR = 1498.98
Old 10-12-2003, 04:36 PM
MusicJennifer should change his/her status!
Light-Heavyweight

I will, thanks T.tummy.
Old 10-13-2003, 08:21 AM
lifterchick should change his/her status!
Middleweight

Hey MJ!!

I'm not able to be here very often anymore either- I'm sooo glad I caught your post. I just hope it's not too late for you to see!

Lots of parallels between our situations! I have hooked up with another nurse/personal trainer who has her own training studio. We share the studio with a private physical therapy practice. It's a wonderful "marriage" so to speak, and the atmosphere is very different from the gyms, where sales is stressed at least as much as training, if not more. Right now I am an employee, but my goal (which is understood and shared by my boss) is to commit to helping her build this business as if it WERE my own and become her partner within the next 12-18 months. In keeping with this commitment I've been willing to work all kinds of crazy hours so as not to turn any new/potential client away. My own training has taken quite a hit! In one sense this has been a positive thing, since I was way overdue for some rest and recovery time. The problem is that as frustrated as I am with my "slacker" training schedule, I have become accustomed to the decrease and am having a hard time motivating myself to get back to business. It's not so much a problem of not being able to FIND the time, it's forcing myself to USE the time productively.

I think a few days off to do some reflecting will do you a world of good. Don't give up on this job yet. It may not be your ideal situation but I really believe that you are committed to the field/lifestyle, so see it as a stepping stone to greater things and not as the end all and be all. It's really not surprising that you feel the way you do. Remember that "stress scale" that you see in the magazines every once in a while? It measures the amount of stress in your life based on major and minor events (both positive AND negative) in the past year. You have three of the biggies- getting married; changing jobs; and moving!! That's a lot to process in such a short time period. Your life looks COMPLETELY different than it did just a few short months ago! Be gentle with yourself, just like you would with a new client who's never exercised before and is trying to adapt to the new lifestyle. Do some reflection to reaffirm that this is truly the direction you want your life to go in. See in your mind where you want to be in 5 years and then re-evaluate whether this is a good step in the process of getting there. It could be that you're moving in the right direction but this is not the best way for you to get there. It could also just be "cold feet" because it's so completely different than what was comfortable (even if "comfortable" didn't make you happy). It's great that your hubby is so supportive! Check in with him often, as well as close friends and family who know what's really important to you, to help reassure yourself that you've made the best choices to get you where you want to go. Trust your gut and just keep moving forward. It will be a lot less scary once you've given it time to become your "new normal".

Hmmm, well, guess I had a lot to say about that ,didn't I? Can you tell it's a subject that's been on my mind a little bit? Just to let you know you're not alone, I also quit my "day job"! I gave my letter of resignation from the hospital yesterday, and as much as I've wanted to do that for the past five years, I left work feeling like the bottom had dropped out of my world! I know it was the right move, though, so I'm just gonna swallow hard and start preparing for my afternoon clients- after I get in some cardio, of course....

Chin up, girl! You're gonna be fine!! [img]/forum/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Lisa
Old 10-13-2003, 09:43 AM
MusicJennifer should change his/her status!
Light-Heavyweight

Lifterchick,
Wow, thank you. We ARE in the same position. I constantly talking about my situation with my husband and we are evaluating this job for me! haha. There's a lot going for both sides of the argument. I will have to wait it out and see. How has it been for you since you left your old job? Are you finding it's worth it? I know what you mean about making your own time useful and productive. It's harder now because I'm so exhausted after giving 100% to all my clients. I find it harder to workout at the same intensity also. Well, let me get going, I have a client in 20 minutes! haha. At least I got my workout in early today!
Old 10-13-2003, 11:21 AM
lifterchick should change his/her status!
Middleweight

MJ-
Just finished working out myself! I'm rediscovering that the only way to keep it consistent is to plan to workout first thing in the AM before anything else can get in the way. On the rare occasion I have an early client I make sure it's either a rest day or there's definite and protected time later in my day (but not so late I'm exhausted- that's a whole different post [img]/forum/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]!).

The hardest and most depressing part about the transition for me is being on the steep end of the learning curve. I was completely burned out in nursing, but I'm also **** good at it!! With personal training I constantly feel unsure of both my judgement and my skills. I mean, I'm very clear about what works for MY body, but I have hardly any clients that are at my fitness level. And just because I know good form and can write about it here doesn't help me when I have someone who, no matter how many times I reposition them or how many ways I try to "cue" it, have no concept of neutral spine, soft knees, or moving from only ONE joint or muscle group!!!! Talk about frustration! Not to mention the fact that I feel very apprehensive about working with clients who have had significant injuries or health histories. We have many clients with knee, shoulder, or neck and back problems.

I've decided the best way to attack this problem is education. There are two conferences I'm planning on going to in the next few weeks. One is actually up your way- on Oct 25th in Wayne, NJ. It's hosted by the NJ chapter of NSCA. The other is a general fitness conference in Philly on Nov 8-9th, hosted by Exercise Etc. I'd LOVE a pal to hang out with if you have any interest or ability to go to either one! PM or email me if you're interested. (Sidenote- that's an open invitation to anyone else in the Philadelphia/New Jersey area- just let me know!)

Take care!
Lisa
Old 10-13-2003, 11:34 AM
Debbie9999 should change his/her status!
Light-Heavyweight

Hold on, hold on, hold on: Do NOT give up. Any major life change, such as job and home, will have a major but temporary impact. It is a very stressful thing. A simple chore like getting a hair cut can be a major project because you don't know where to go and you are unfamiliar with the area. All these little things are going to temporarily be difficult things. This is true of ANY change.

My advise is to give it a chance and expect that you will need more time to do EVERYTHING. Eventually, you will adjust and then you can go back to your usual routine.

It sounds like you are in a panic and it is normal and understandable. Give it time and give it a chance. Try to look at your accomplishments and not failures. It may even be another two months or so before you are on track. Don't get extra stressed about being stressed. (I should talk, but that is another story).

So, stay with it and be patient and ask for help whenever you can. I remember you asking about New Jersey and I wish I could help you more but you are too far away from me. I will say that I moved here from Long Island and also found it hard at first. IT GETS BETTER, I PROMISE!

Closed Thread