Please help ladies!! - ABCbodybuilding

Go Back   ABCbodybuilding > Iron, Metal, & Steel!! > Female Specific Athletic Forum

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 10-08-2003, 11:55 PM
runningchic should change his/her status!
Stranger

Default Please help ladies!!

I'm 18 years old, and I started running about four months ago. I started at 238 lbs,and I have lost 35 lbs. My problem is that through all of this, I have not been lifting weights to build muscle, and I want to, but I am totally lost on where to start with this. I know nothing about lifting weights. When I say nothing I mean absolutely nothing!! Someone please help me and tell me what I need to do. [img]/forum/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] <font color="blue"> </font>
Old 10-09-2003, 12:05 AM
Aidan should change his/her status!
Lightweight

Default Re: Please help ladies!!

Ain't personal trainers in gyms good for starting points?

But if you ain't signed up for a gym/can't afford it this site has tonnes of information. Just have a look around.
Old 10-09-2003, 12:06 AM
IronKnuckle should change his/her status!
Heavyweight

I'm not a lady, but I would love to help.
You have a LOT of reading to do.
Start reading in the 'nutrition' tab first. get the basics and move to the 'workouts' tab and use the workouts listed that fit your goals.
Also, feel free to ask specific questions anytime.

Workout Design I (split)
Workout Design II
Old 10-09-2003, 12:08 AM
Elle should change his/her status!
Light-Heavyweight

If you want a good starting point, pick up a copy of "Body for Life"....it is simple and quite motivating actually. When I first started training, I did a 12 week challenge with some nice results!

....AND more importantly, read the articles on the site! I recommend the 12 week fatburning diet and workout! [img]/forum/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Did those 2 and loved them!

Good luck! [img]/forum/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-09-2003, 05:44 AM
Tuf should change his/her status!
Mr. Universe

Hi and welcome to ABC! [img]/forum/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
....AND more importantly, read the articles on the site! I recommend the 12 week fatburning diet and workout! [img]/forum/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Did those 2 and loved them!

[/ QUOTE ]
Great suggestion, Elle! [img]/forum/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
<font color="blue">We taped a lot of famous pictures on the locker-room door: Bobby Orr, Potvin, Beliveau, all holding the Stanley Cup. We'd stand back and look at them and envision ourselves doing it. I really believe if you visualize yourself doing something, you can make that image come true...I must have rehearsed it ten thousand times. And when it came true it was like an electric jolt went up my spine.</font>
-Wayne Gretzky

http://www.rhondariley.com/009/thumbs/005.jpg
"When prepping for a show, I look at my body as my grade and the training and diet as my homework. If I do my homework I will get a good grade."
-Rhonda Riley

<font color="009999">Click Here for ABC's Forum Rules</font>
<font color="purple">Click Here for ABC's Index of Bible Studies</font>
Old 10-09-2003, 06:15 AM
sage63 should change his/her status!
Light-Heavyweight

There may be others that disagree with me but when I got started, I used the machines for a while. It developed some "muscle sense" - the ability to feel which muscles I was working and how they should feel when I do the exercises. Something most beginners don't have naturally. It also kept my form more strict as I learned the movements. *Then* I moved to the free weights and cables.

I was quite a student at the gym and really studied what the personal trainers were doing with their clients (taking mental notes of both what TO and NOT to do.) I then hired a PT for a session just to have them check my form on the exercises I was doing. I did an upper body/lower body split (as specified in Body For Life) 3x a week...alternating the split (M,W,F), I ran 3x a week (T,TH,Sa) 4 miles. I got pretty cut. (I lift as heavy as I possibly can for 10-12 reps, 3 sets.) You may see your weight loss slow down but you'll lose inches as muscle weighs more per volume than fat (think of a lb of feathers compared to a lb of gold!!)

If you work out at home, you might start off with a set of dumbells and either the Firm videos or Cathe videos. This can teach you moves and form and get you on the road. (The Firm is how I got interested in lifting in the first place!) Read this site....read these boards...I've learned a lot here.

Hope this helps a little! [img]/forum/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 10-09-2003, 08:30 AM
soccerchick should change his/her status!
Olympia Contender

hi! i hope this helps...

[ QUOTE ]
GENERAL TRAINING GUIDELINES

1. Always start with big muscle groups first. Always do chest before triceps and shoulders, always do back before biceps.

2. Work each bodypart once per week with the exception of abs and calves, you can work them 2-3 times per week if you'd like.

3. For big muscle groups, generally do 3-4 exercises per part, 3-4 sets per exercise.

4. For smaller muscle groups, do 2-3 exercises per part, 2-3 sets per exercise.

5. Work each muscle group to failure on each set with the exception of warm-up sets. Pick a weight where you cannot physically lift it more than 12 reps. Lift the weight til you can't lift it anymore (for 12 reps or less).

6. Take 1-3 minutes rest between each set of 6-12 reps.

7. Make up your training split based on how many days per week you can go to the gym and how long you want to spend there. Personally, I wouldn't try to do more than 2 bodyparts per session if you can help it. Reason is cause it's very difficult to maintain your intensity for more than two bodyparts. If you are really giving it all you got, you'll find it quite difficult to still have the energy to train that third bodypart.

8. Never do cardio before lifting weights, ALWAYS do cardio AFTER weight training and PREFERABLY on a separate day altogether.

9. Don't overdo it on the cardio, cardio is WAY overrated in terms of burning fat. DIET and weight training (muscle) is what's gonna burn the fat for you. For starters, I'd only do cardio twice a week for no more than 30 min and I recommend high intensity interval training if you're up to it. H.I.I.T. is explained in the "workouts" section I believe, blue tab at top.

NOTE: If you are a total beginner and have not mastered the proper lifting techniques/forms yet, I would NOT advise starting with heavy weights but rather a weight you can lift in the 12-15 rep range until you have mastered the proper form, to avoid injury.

For different weight training exercises to do, see the blue tab at the top of the page labeled "exercises". Each exercise has its own description along with an animated illustration to show you how to perform the exercise properly.

EXAMPLE OF A TRAINING SPLIT

Monday - back &amp; abs
Tuesday - chest &amp; shoulders
Wednesday - cardio
Thursday - legs, calves
Friday - arms
Saturday - off
Sunday - cardio

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 10-09-2003, 01:07 PM
Patyal68 should change his/her status!
Heavyweight

^^ Soccerchick those are great tips!!!

I would also recommend you to create and keep a journal. It's a great way to get comments, advise, feedback from everyone here. I started mine with the HYPERplasia Challenge and got awesome responses. It's also a great way to track your progress. Check the "On line training journal" or the "HYPERplasia Challenge" sections for some ideas.

Once you've understood the basics of Nutrition, post your diet plan, too.

Last, but not least, good luck and welcome to abc [img]/forum/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 10-09-2003, 02:54 PM
MuscleRunner should change his/her status!

hi runningchic! welcome to ABC! everyone's given great advice, &amp; i really don't have much to add....other than to say, you've picked a great place to come &amp; learn! we're glad to have you! congrats on losing your first 35 lbs.! feel free to post with questions/concerns/celebrations any time!

[img]/forum/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] kp
I confess, Lord, with thanksgiving, that you have made me in your image, so that I can remember you, think of you, & love you.
But that image is so worn & blotted out by faults, & darkened by the smoke of sin, that it cannot do that for which it was made unless you renew & refashion it.
Lord, I am not trying to make my way to your height, for my understanding is in no way equal to that, but I do desire to understand a little of your truth which my heart already believes & loves.
I do not seek to understand so that I can believe, but I believe so that I may understand;
and what is more, I believe that unless I do believe, I shall not understand.

--St. Anselm (1033-1109)
Old 10-09-2003, 04:53 PM
Serendipity should change his/her status!
Heavyweight

Hi Runningchic, Welcome aboard and congrats on all the changes you made so far.

I agree with the advice on Body For Life, it's a nice simple approach to lifting. Once you start there, reading all the information on ABC is a lot less intimidating.
Closed Thread