gaining muscle weight - ABCbodybuilding

Go Back   ABCbodybuilding > Iron, Metal, & Steel!! > Female Specific Athletic Forum

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 10-09-2003, 07:57 AM
fitgirl23 should change his/her status!
Stranger

Default gaining muscle weight

Hi,
I'm 5'4 and 100 lbs. I'm a little underweight and would like to gain about 8 lbs of muscle. I was wondering if anyone had any advice about how often I should lift and what I should eat and how much I should eat. Also, how long should it take to see some weight gain?

thank you for any advice!
Old 10-09-2003, 08:10 AM
Tuf should change his/her status!
Mr. Universe

Default Re: gaining muscle weight

Hi and welcome to ABC, fitgirl! [img]/forum/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

A clean bulk would be perfect! [img]/forum/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

There are several women who are clean bulking and keeping journals right now. In the Hyperplasia Challenge section of the site, you can check out the journals of Schless, Jenn, Nath, and I have one there too. In the Online Training Journals, you can check out Frenchie's journal. If I missed any of you ladies who are bulking, please forgive me.

I think that a good rate to gain weight is about 1-2 lbs. per week. Do you know your maintenance calories right now? I would start increasing them by 100-200 over your maintenance level each week.

Check out the articles and you will find a plethora of information about nutrition and training. Feel free to post your diet and/or workouts for suggestions. Starting a journal is a great way to receive help and encouragement from others. Reading journals is a great way to learn from what other people are doing!

Glad you joined us! [img]/forum/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
<font color="blue">We taped a lot of famous pictures on the locker-room door: Bobby Orr, Potvin, Beliveau, all holding the Stanley Cup. We'd stand back and look at them and envision ourselves doing it. I really believe if you visualize yourself doing something, you can make that image come true...I must have rehearsed it ten thousand times. And when it came true it was like an electric jolt went up my spine.</font>
-Wayne Gretzky

http://www.rhondariley.com/009/thumbs/005.jpg
"When prepping for a show, I look at my body as my grade and the training and diet as my homework. If I do my homework I will get a good grade."
-Rhonda Riley

<font color="009999">Click Here for ABC's Forum Rules</font>
<font color="purple">Click Here for ABC's Index of Bible Studies</font>
Old 10-09-2003, 08:27 AM
soccerchick should change his/her status!
Olympia Contender

hello and welcome!

first i want to ask how often you are eating now? if your not eating at least 6 meals a day (about every 3 hours), that is something you want to start doing.

also, what is your diet and training schedule like now? it will enable to help us help you. there are a few mass building diet and training programs on this site, but i want to see where you are at first before i recommened any of them. if you can provide the above info, it would greatly help us to help you! [img]/forum/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Old 10-09-2003, 11:22 AM
Stranger

I eat three meals a day. It would be hard for me to eat 6 small meals because I am a college freshman right now and I am limited with my meal plan to only eat once during each meal period. I try to eat as healthily as possible for what they serve here. I have 1/2 C. oatmeal for breakfast made with 1/2 each of water and skim milk, A ham sandwich with approx. 3 oz ham, piece of fruit and milk and maybe some soup for lunch. Supper is variable, but I usually try to get a balanced meal.

I don't really have much of a training schedule. I have dumbbells in my room that I use to tone my upper body every other day and I do cardio kickboxing to tone my legs. My dorm is right next to the fitness center on campus so I have easy access to weight machines if I get a membership there.
Old 10-09-2003, 12:38 PM
Olympia Contender

ok, it would seem to me that you are not eating enough calories right now to gain the muscle you want (not enough protein). also, its pretty important to eat more frequent meals. can you buy your own food to eat in between meal times, in your dorm maybe? by eating only 3 meals per day you can slow your metabolism and the amount of bodyfat you store. plus it leaves you with less energy when you train. more frequent meals promote more stable blood-sugar levels, optimal absorption of nutrients, and an increased metabolism.

i'm going to suggest that you look through the nutrition articles on this site (see blue "Nutrition" tab at the top of this page). there are some customizable diets you could follow and TONS of information that will help you understand the importance of proper nutrition - how much protein, carbs and fats you need to consume and calories.

what are you plans for training? are you going to get a memebership to the fitness center on campus or stay with the dumbbells in your room? i would suggest that if you can afford it, get the membership to the fitness center. it will make what your trying to accomplish easier when you have an abundance of options for working out, not just the dumbbells in your room. but if your only option is the dumbbells in your room then we will try and work with just that. what are the poundages of the dumbbells you have? can you you type up a sample workout that you do in your room? what exercises, how many reps/sets you do. it would help! also, you need to workout your legs with the weights, not just do cardio kickboxing. the legs are the largest muscle group in the body so you do not want to neglect them! i have a feeling that you are probably not lifting heavy enough, which happens to most females at first.

also, read this previous post... it has some great overall information (even though some of it applies to cutting bodyfat, the general principles i think will help you). http://www.abcbodybuilding.com/forum...amp;PHPSESSID=

Old 10-09-2003, 01:38 PM
Stranger

I think I will definitely get a membership to the fitness center. The weights I have in my room are 2 5's, 2 10's and 1 15 lb. I usually do 2-3 sets of 12 reps and I try to do exercises for the major muscles in the upper body (chest, back, biceps, triceps and shoulders). Usually one exercise per muscle. I have only been doing this routinely for a month and it is only for toning purposes. I wasn't trying to bulk up.

Right now I am trying to get enough info about gaining muscle in order to set up a routine I can follow and work into my busy schedule. I've tried to do this once before, but I wasn't organized at all(had no idea what I should do) and I got frustrated and quit. Once I get enough info I can start the weight gain process.

Thanks for the references to the nutrition articles and the previous post!
Old 10-09-2003, 01:59 PM
Olympia Contender

[ QUOTE ]
I have only been doing this routinely for a month and it is only for toning purposes. I wasn't trying to bulk up.

[/ QUOTE ]

i hate to burst your bubble, but its a misconception that a female will "bulk up". generally our bodies do NOT contain enough testerone to do this. so unless you plan on taking steroids, which i know your not, don't worry about getting bulky. what happens when women gains muscle mass is they start to look like they have some shape to their bodies (they start to look "toned"). there really is no such thing as "toning". all your doing is building muscles.

if you want to gain some muscle you will need to lift heavy (generally 8-12 reps to failure) and do more than what you are doing. i usually do 12 sets for my chest, back, shoulders and 9 sets for my biceps and triceps. one set of 12 reps may not do much for you gaining muscle.

definitely read all you can on here. there are tons of exercise and nutrition programs that can get you on the right track.

take a look at some of the online journals here and some of the pics of these ladies. they lift heavy and are not "bulky"! (mine included)

and go get that membership [img]/forum/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

i hope this helps!
Old 10-09-2003, 03:36 PM
Frenchie should change his/her status!
Light-Heavyweight

Hi fitgirl!! [img]/forum/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

Welcome to ABC!!

I would definitely start by getting a membership at the gym. Check out the exercise section, they have tons of exercises for each bodypart that are very well explained. Try to create a split program where you would weight train 3-4 times a week hitting different body parts each time.

Also, try to get several meals per day every 2-3 hours. You may be able to get to a grocery store and buy such things as canned tuna, canned beans, peanut butter (make sure it is natural though, it should read just peanuts, and maybe salt), whole-wheat bread, cottage cheese. This should give you a good start to get some more meals throughout the day. Try to get some protein in each meal with carbs and/or fat.

As Tuf said, look at other people's journals. You can check mine - I am currently clean bulking to add some mass, and so far it's been going great!! - as well as those that Tuf mentioned.

You may want to create a diet and workout routine and post in for review. Members on the site will be happy to help!! [img]/forum/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

"Although others may ask why, you'll never be able to explain adequately. Only someone else with the same passion would understand"

Closed Thread