Yet another question about frequency/splits..... - ABCbodybuilding

Go Back   ABCbodybuilding > Iron, Metal, & Steel!! > Female Specific Athletic Forum

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 09-25-2003, 10:10 AM
sage63 should change his/her status!
Light-Heavyweight

Default Yet another question about frequency/splits.....

I do an UB/LB split. I used to do it every other day alternating UB/LB but my marathon training has me messed up on my schedule. Now I'm doing UB on M & F and wondered if it would be okay to do LB on T & TH or if that isn't enough recovery time btw the workouts? My DOMS from Tues nite is still pretty strong. (Walking pretty stiff from the reverse lunges on the Smith Machine w/ 50 lbs.) Can I go again tonight? T and Ths are my lowest mileage days for running. Friday is rest day before long run on Sat so I don't want to do legs Fri or Sun. I really want to do this marathon but it is messing me up on my WT and I don't want to compromise my workouts there either! Help! [img]/forum/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
Old 09-25-2003, 11:11 AM
mama2Six should change his/her status!
Middleweight

Default Re: Yet another question about frequency/splits.....

When is your marathon? What ia your long run now? Is it your first marathon? What was your base mileage before you began training?

I wouldn't do LB weights twice when marathon training. If your long run is saturday, Tue or Wed would be best. When I was training for Detroit, I had to skip legs once I hit about 10 miles as my long one. Not sure what will happen this time as I am just base building now (CMM in May) and haven't even added legs back in to my training (will next week).
Amy
1 Corinthians 9:24-27 Remember that in a race everyone runs, but
only one person gets the prize. You also must run in such a way that you
will win. [25] All athletes practice strict self-control. They do it to win a
prize that will fade away, but we do it for an eternal prize. [26] So I run
straight to the goal with purpose in every step. I am not like a boxer who
misses his punches. [27] I discipline my body like an athlete, training it to
do what it should. Otherwise, I fear that after preaching to others I myself
might be disqualified.

Old 09-25-2003, 01:15 PM
Light-Heavyweight

[ QUOTE ]
When is your marathon? What ia your long run now? Is it your first marathon? What was your base mileage before you began training?

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey Amy - Thanks for the advice. I'm training for Dallas White Rock, Dec. 14th. My longest run so far will be 14 this Sat. Last Sat was a step-back week (8mi) and previous to that my longest was 12. Yes, this is my first mary. I was thinking about just doing the half but then somehow the "bug" got me and I didn't want to be left behind by the training group I run the weekend long runs with!! My base before starting the training was btw 18-20 mi per week as I only ran 3x per week and then lifted on the "other" days. I'm really enjoying the long runs so far but got an IT band flare up on the 12 miler. This weekend will tell me a LOT about how I can take it. My butt is still SO SORE from Tuesdays weights workout that I could barely get my 4 miles in this a.m. (yesterday was 6). I think I'll take your advice and just do lower body once a week (Tues.)

BTW: I'm using Hal Higdon's novice program through the week and his Intermediate program on weekend longs runs (so we can get two 20s in there.)

Any advice you can give me on mixing these two worlds (marathoning and weight lifting) will be greatly appreciated!! I don't want to run off my muscle but I want to accomplish my running goals too!! [img]/forum/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Don't you think that if I keep my protein intake up there, it will help me keep my muscle?
Old 09-25-2003, 03:08 PM
MuscleRunner should change his/her status!

hey sage! i know what you mean--the balance b/t running & weight training...its a hard one.

i'm with amy on the suggestion to do lower body just one day a week. i think it also depends on your goals, but then, i'd say that if you're REALLY wanting to build & focus on legs, you should probably save that phase of training for after the marathon. personally, i only do one day of legs. i dont want any more mass there, so i do high reps w/ plyometrics on the day i'm freshest (after a rest day), but its also a 12-mile day. i run twice that day, so i do legs after the 2nd run.... if i were going heavy, i wouldn't put it on such a hard day....

it kind of depends on your priorities. mine is running over legs. so i dont want legs to interfere with running. so, i dont want to be sore from legs while i'm trying to run. therefore, i time legs so that the run after them is not a demanding one. if i were to prioritize legs, i'd probably do them after an easy run, so they'd not be 'dead' already & i wouldn't much care if the next run weren't great, since legs were my priority...am i making sense?

i think it really is all about priorities. & to some degree you can be a runner & weight trainer, but b/c they are so 'contrary' to each other, i dont think you can be 'excellent' at both at the same time.

i'd do your legs the day before your easiest running day...or if you can do 2 w/o per day (AM/PM), i'd time legs & a long or fast (very demanding, in either respect) run as far apart as possible...in re-reading your post, i'd prob. do legs on TH, have your rest F, & then your long run S. yep, that's how i'd do it...
I confess, Lord, with thanksgiving, that you have made me in your image, so that I can remember you, think of you, & love you.
But that image is so worn & blotted out by faults, & darkened by the smoke of sin, that it cannot do that for which it was made unless you renew & refashion it.
Lord, I am not trying to make my way to your height, for my understanding is in no way equal to that, but I do desire to understand a little of your truth which my heart already believes & loves.
I do not seek to understand so that I can believe, but I believe so that I may understand;
and what is more, I believe that unless I do believe, I shall not understand.

--St. Anselm (1033-1109)
Old 09-25-2003, 03:35 PM
mama2Six should change his/her status!
Middleweight

If your weight days are keeping you from running or are making your legs extra heavy on running days, you may need to cut them out or lower the intensity. You are getting up there in the long ones now and those are HARD on the muscles. We tend to think weights builds muscle but at this point in your training *I* think it's a crap shoot. You may maintain but you also may loose mass in your legs from no recovery. You are at a different point in your training, you have to think different now. This is just my point of view of course :-)
You had a decent base so that's good but the IT band is usually an overuse issue. Weights may not directly affect that but is it worth the chance when you have little to gain right now by keeping the weights as intense as it was?

Before I decided to do another marathon I watched (online in another board I am on that is) a guy complete a full ironman and not loose any mass. I picked his brain as to why he didn't and his answer was - FOOD! LOTS of food! Not just protein, but you need LOTS of clean carbs while running that much. I am not sure how much but I will NOT cut calories once my mileage is up there. I may not loose weight but at that point my goal is my marathon.
Good luck and keep us posted! Do you have a guess as to how long it will take you? Your group sounds fun. Are they all new or any veteran marathoners? I did 90% of my training alone. NOTHING was harder than a 20 miler all alone ;-(
Amy
1 Corinthians 9:24-27 Remember that in a race everyone runs, but
only one person gets the prize. You also must run in such a way that you
will win. [25] All athletes practice strict self-control. They do it to win a
prize that will fade away, but we do it for an eternal prize. [26] So I run
straight to the goal with purpose in every step. I am not like a boxer who
misses his punches. [27] I discipline my body like an athlete, training it to
do what it should. Otherwise, I fear that after preaching to others I myself
might be disqualified.

Old 09-25-2003, 04:28 PM
Light-Heavyweight

[ QUOTE ]
Before I decided to do another marathon I watched (online in another board I am on that is) a guy complete a full ironman and not loose any mass. I picked his brain as to why he didn't and his answer was - FOOD! LOTS of food!

Good luck and keep us posted! Do you have a guess as to how long it will take you? Your group sounds fun. Are they all new or any veteran marathoners? I did 90% of my training alone. NOTHING was harder than a 20 miler all alone ;-(
Amy

[/ QUOTE ]

Kim and Amy - Thanks again for great advice!! Amy, most of the group are veteran marathoners....I'm the token newbie! [img]/forum/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] I will have to do my 17 and 18 milers alone unless someone else has a scheduling conflict b/c I have a needlework business and will be out of town doing craft fairs for two weekends in a row in October!! (www.sagestitchworks.com) I'm NOT looking forward to it and am hoping that someone else will want to run with me!

I'm shooting for a 10 min pace for my first one. I comfortably run 9:30 pace on shorter runs but we've been training on our LSD at about 10 min pace and I think for that distance on my first one, I'd be happy with this time!! I'll know more once I do those REALLY long runs (20s)!

I'm with ya on the FOOD issue. I'm really working on refining my diet. Cleaning it up and eating healthy carbs and protein and WHOLE foods as much as possible. How many cals do you think I need? I lost my weight on weight watchers and use it for maintenance but have found myself throwing it to the wind as I'm SO much hungrier now! I'm working on making my choices healthier and smarter (than a bag of pretzels - like I usually binge on!)

Any more advice you veteran runners can give me is SO appreciated! I value your input! Thanks again! [img]/forum/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-26-2003, 06:58 PM
MuscleRunner should change his/her status!

howdy! i think your goal pace/time sounds good. you want it to be a very reach-able, comfortable goal. i had a hard-set time goal & while i came within 1 minute of it, looking back, i'd probably have relaxed it a bit. you want to enjoy your first one--the whole experience. then, if you want to speed up or set new goals, you can, with one under your belt. speaking of time/pace, this workout is a REALLY cool predictor: http://www.runnersworld.com/home/0,1300,1-51-54-624,00.html

ask me if you want more info. on them. the runners world site in general is pretty helpful...they have a very active forum system. i like the 'nutrition' & 'women's' sections, but they also have training, marathons, newbies, etc. w/ lots of good info. even if you just lurk, you can learn a good bit.

i used to run only by myself...trained for 5 marathons that way. short runs, long runs.... i wouldn't even run w/ my husband for awhile. but NOW, i LOVE running with people. i beg him to go with me (he loves to run, but just not as long as i do!)...now, i hunt down people to run long with... & i dont enjoy them solo as much. BUT, i will say that looong runs have provided some of my best prayer & intimacy times with the Lord.

for my marathons, i bought a paint pen @ a craft store & wrote on my sportsbra. a lot of people write their names so onlookers will shout it out & encourage them...lots of fun! i printed psalm 28:7 & isaiah 40:30-31...man, i HIGHLY recommend plastering yourself with scripture. its such a witness & more than that, it reminds you whose you are & in whose power you trudge on!

feel free to check out my journals for my current workouts, nutrition, etc.

nutrition wise, i do ~2000 cals (i'm 5'5 1/2" & ~125) & am running ~45-50 mpw, w/ 3 moderate weight training days & a leeeeetle more cardio for warm-up in the gym. my nutrition % are: 55%c/~22%p/~23%f

its fun to talk running & lifting [img]/forum/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] keep us updated! [img]/forum/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
I confess, Lord, with thanksgiving, that you have made me in your image, so that I can remember you, think of you, & love you.
But that image is so worn & blotted out by faults, & darkened by the smoke of sin, that it cannot do that for which it was made unless you renew & refashion it.
Lord, I am not trying to make my way to your height, for my understanding is in no way equal to that, but I do desire to understand a little of your truth which my heart already believes & loves.
I do not seek to understand so that I can believe, but I believe so that I may understand;
and what is more, I believe that unless I do believe, I shall not understand.

--St. Anselm (1033-1109)
Old 09-29-2003, 02:07 AM
Light-Heavyweight

Kim - Thanks again for the advice! I read the Runner's World website (and take the mag)but have never checked out their forums. I'll go lurk around (like I need to spend ANY more time on the computer!) [img]/forum/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

P.S. Your photo is great! You look really wonderful. We have similar upper bodies but your legs look more cut than mine! (And here I am having to back off of my leg work!! [img]/forum/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img])
Closed Thread