Speaking of calipers... - ABCbodybuilding

Go Back   ABCbodybuilding > Iron, Metal, & Steel!! > Female Specific Athletic Forum

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 09-24-2003, 06:10 PM
sage63 should change his/her status!
Light-Heavyweight

Default Speaking of calipers...

How accurate do you think they are? I have a Tanita BF scale that has been all over the place lately and my weight has been going UP so I had myself calipered at the gym and I had gone from 13% BF to 8-9% BF. I don't know that I believe this as I'd be ripped to shreds if I only had this much BF and I am feeling all swollen (TOM and taking Alieve which makes me retain, big time!!) Would the excess fluid affect the caliper readings? Should I have them retaken after TOM and getting off of Alieve for a week or so? My rings are all tight and I feel so gross to supposedly be so fit! [img]/forum/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 09-24-2003, 06:20 PM
Tuf should change his/her status!
Mr. Universe

Default Re: Speaking of calipers...

For information about accuracy, consistency and the different methods, check out Yu's Ultimate Body Fat Testing Guide!

Nice avatar and sig! [img]/forum/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
<font color="blue">We taped a lot of famous pictures on the locker-room door: Bobby Orr, Potvin, Beliveau, all holding the Stanley Cup. We'd stand back and look at them and envision ourselves doing it. I really believe if you visualize yourself doing something, you can make that image come true...I must have rehearsed it ten thousand times. And when it came true it was like an electric jolt went up my spine.</font>
-Wayne Gretzky

http://www.rhondariley.com/009/thumbs/005.jpg
"When prepping for a show, I look at my body as my grade and the training and diet as my homework. If I do my homework I will get a good grade."
-Rhonda Riley

<font color="009999">Click Here for ABC's Forum Rules</font>
<font color="purple">Click Here for ABC's Index of Bible Studies</font>
Old 09-24-2003, 06:21 PM
**DONOTDELETE**
**DONOTDELETE** should change his/her status! Edit

Default Post deleted by .

Old 09-24-2003, 06:31 PM
Light-Heavyweight

Interesting article. I tested after my workout so that may have skewed the results. I am SURE I'm not that low. I'll redo it in a week or so.
Old 09-24-2003, 06:49 PM
Fireproof should change his/her status!
Super-Heavyweight

Most gym's only do 3-site caliper testing which is not very accurate. People carry bodyfat differently in different places, so results vary widely unless using a) a good caliper instrument, b) a well-trained caliperist (is that a word? [img]/forum/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]), and c) a 7- or 9-site test as mentioned in the article above.

If you are not concerned with your "absolute accurate bodyfat level" and just want to monitor progress, then find a method that works well for you (the more sites the better) and do it at the same time, with the same tester, etc.
Old 09-24-2003, 08:28 PM
Light-Heavyweight

[ QUOTE ]
Most gym's only do 3-site caliper testing which is not very accurate. People carry bodyfat differently in different places

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes! You are right. 3-sites are what he has measured on me and all of them are lean spots for me (tricep, ab/hipbone, quad). If he grabbed a hunk of my rear that caliper would bounce off the chart!! LOL! [img]/forum/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Closed Thread