LemonIce-"A Beginner's Journey " - Page 2 - ABCbodybuilding

Go Back   ABCbodybuilding > Iron, Metal, & Steel!! > Online Training Journal

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 08-15-2003, 03:14 AM
LemonIce should change his/her status!
Rookie

Default Re: LemonIce\'s Body For Life Journey

Hey Tuf. Thanks for the feedback on my goals! Especially letting me know the ounces in a gallon! It's amazing that gallong jugs of juice n stuff don't actually put the ounces on the container... I while i was at the grocery store i spent 10 minutes looking at gallon jugs of water, juice to figure the ounces and didnt do anything but frustrate myself.

MY Twelve Week Goals: Get down to 20% bodyfat, Weigh less than 200 lbs, be able to jog/run 20 to 25 minutes HIIT style without walking or stopping [img]/forum/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

My Stats<font color="red">8/20/03</font><font color="green">--My Two week goal</font>
Weight:<font color="red">216</font><font color="green">--n/a</font>
Body fat<font color="red">27.1</font><font color="green">--26</font>
Neck:<font color="red">15.5 in</font><font color="green">--15.25</font>
Bicep:<font color="red">16.5 in</font><font color="green">--16.25</font>
Chest:<font color="red">47 in</font><font color="green">--46.5</font>
Waist:<font color="red">40 in</font><font color="green">--39.75</font>
Hips:<font color="red">49 in</font><font color="green">--48.75</font>
Upper Thigh:<font color="red">26.25 in</font><font color="green">--25.75</font>
Quads:<font color="red">23.25 in</font><font color="green">--n/a</font>
Calves:<font color="red">15.25 in</font><font color="green">--n/a</font>

"Don't be content with being average. Average is as close to the bottom as it is to the top."
Old 08-15-2003, 04:53 AM
Rookie

08/14/03-PREP PHASE--MY CHALLENGE BEGINS 08/18/03

THE WORKOUT PLAN

This is the first organized plan i've ever followed. Since it worked pretty well the first time, I plan to continue using it and just add to it or modifying it as neccessary.

Currently weights are determined by intensity on a scale of 1-10. 1=too easy (i might as well be asleep), 5 being average (not to hard, but not easy, 10 = whoa (theres force, motivation, prodding that could get my body to do another rep)

I think the main point, of this program is to push to your intensity limits on each work out. Cardio for example is supposed to be just as effective if i cycle levels of intensity increasing effort and speed every minute to almost peak and dropping back down for 20 to 30 minutes as it is to walk an hour at a steady pace. In addtion, I build endurance--Ya'll let me know what yall think about the system.

WEEKS 1 &amp; 2 (repeats with modified excercizes after every 4th week.)

it looks like;
WEEK 1 (or odd weeks)-Monday-upper body, Tuesday-cardio (30 min's), Wednesday-Lower body, Thursday-cardio, Friday-upper body, Saturday-Cardio.. . Sunday-FREEDAY!

WEEK 2 (even weeks)-Monday-Lower body, Tuesday-cardio, Wednesday-upper body, Thursday-cardio, Friay-Lower body, Saturday-cardio. .. Sunday-FREEDAY AGAIN!!

EXAMPLE UPPER BODY WORKOUT__________________________________________________ __________
___CHEST--6 sets_______________
*db. press--12@12 lb dumbbells, 10@15 lb, 8@20 lb, 6@25 lb, 12@20 lb
*db. flys, 12@15

(*don't mind the weight-remember im a beginner and by the time i get to the last set-im dyin, or i go up in weight next time)

___SHOULDERS-6 sets____________
*front/side db. raises--12@10, 10@12, 8@15, 6@20, 12@15
*db shoulder press--12@15 or 20

___BACK-6 sets_________________
*Incl. lying rows (not sure if right name)-- 12@30, 10@35, 8@40, 6@45, 12@40
*2arm db. pullovers--12@15 lb dumb bells.

___TRICEPS-6 sets_______________
*Kneeling kickbacks--12@8, 10@10, 8@12, 6@15, 12@12
*Overhead rope extentions--12@45

____Biceps-6 sets_________________
*barbell curls--12@30, 10@35, 8@40, 6@45, 12@40
*Hammer curls--12@15 lb dbls

__________________________________________________ __________________________________

EXAMPLE LOWER BODY__________________________________________________ ______________________________
___QUADS-6 sets___________________
*Hammer squats-12@90, 10@100, 8@110, 6@120, 12@110
*Leg Ext's-12@70

___HAMSTRINGS_______________________
*lying leg curls--12@40, 10@45, 8@50, 6@60, 12@50
*deep knee bends--12@0

___CALVES_____________________________
*standing calf raises--12@30, 10@40, 8@50, 6@60, 12@50
*seated calf raises--12@35

___Abs_____________________________________
*note this is the only muscle group i dont think gets enough work on this program. so i'll be adding abs to cardio days to which will make abs working 4 to 5 times/week.

*reverse crunches--12,10,8,6,12,12
*twist crunches--12,12

EXAMPLE CARDIO__________________________________________________
This is also based on intensity-and it kicks my but every time.

Remember 5 is average intensity-not to hard, not really easy.
Level 10-rarely reached but the goal is. . . whoa, i cant take another step.

My cardio machine of choice is the tread mill at the moment. here's how it goes minute by minute. . .

First i do a 5 minute warm up at 3.6 m/h.
Stop for 10 minutes of yoga stretches and deep breathing.
Now its time for business:

1--3.6 m/hr brisk walk for my short legs (lvl 5 intensity)
2--3.6 m/hr (lvl 5)
3--4.0 m/hr i'm speed walkin(lvl 6)
4--4.4 m/hr i'm at a slow jog (lvl 7)
5--4.8 m/hr i'm joggin faster (lvl 8)
6--5.2 m/hr i'm stretchin it out now (lvl 9)

7--4.0 m/hr whew back to walkin, catching my breath (lvl 6)
8--4.4 m/hr (lvl 7)
9--4.8 m/hr (lvl 8)
10-5.2 m/hr (lvl 9)

11-4.0 m/hr (lvl 6)
12-4.4 m/hr (lvl 7)
13-4.8 m/hr (lvl 8)
14-5.2 m/hr (lvl 9)

15-4.0 m/hr (lvl 6)
16-4.4 m/hr (lvl 7)
17-4.8 m/hr (lvl 8)
18-5.2 m/hr (lvl 9)
19-5.6 m/hr (lvl 10)
20-4.0 m/hr (lvl 6)

21-cool down (lvl 4)
22-cool down (lvl 3)
23-cool down (lvl 3)
24-cool down (lvl 2)
25-cool down (lvl 1)

10 minutes stretching.

done!

this cardio plan looks easy on paper, but it kicks butt. the m/hr i can do increase for average intensity as my body gets used to it. when i first started my level 5 was 2.8 and felt like my heart would burst at 3.8 m/hr-my level 9 then.

also changing speed every single minutes makes the time on the exercise maching fly by. I used to refuse to walk on a treadmill because i thought it was boring. now i dont mind, its actually kind of fun, cause everytime i do cardio i try to increase my speed .1 m/hr. so like the next time i did cardio, i would start at 3.7 m/hr and end at 5.7. sometimes i can do it.. sometimes i cant. . . its a goal [img]/forum/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

MY Twelve Week Goals: Get down to 20% bodyfat, Weigh less than 200 lbs, be able to jog/run 20 to 25 minutes HIIT style without walking or stopping [img]/forum/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

My Stats<font color="red">8/20/03</font><font color="green">--My Two week goal</font>

"Don't be content with being average. Average is as close to the bottom as it is to the top."
Old 08-15-2003, 05:38 AM
Tuf should change his/her status!
Mr. Universe

Hey, LemonIce! [img]/forum/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

Your cardio sounds similar to High Intensity Interval Training. Have you read the article? When I do it, I warm up, alternate between 50% and 90% of my total effort every 30 seconds and then I cool down. As you described yours, this kicks my butt every time, but I'm done in 20 minutes! In fact, I have a session this afternoon! [img]/forum/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Here is a link to the article about HIIT.
<font color="blue">We taped a lot of famous pictures on the locker-room door: Bobby Orr, Potvin, Beliveau, all holding the Stanley Cup. We'd stand back and look at them and envision ourselves doing it. I really believe if you visualize yourself doing something, you can make that image come true...I must have rehearsed it ten thousand times. And when it came true it was like an electric jolt went up my spine.</font>
-Wayne Gretzky

http://www.rhondariley.com/009/thumbs/005.jpg
"When prepping for a show, I look at my body as my grade and the training and diet as my homework. If I do my homework I will get a good grade."
-Rhonda Riley

<font color="009999">Click Here for ABC's Forum Rules</font>
<font color="purple">Click Here for ABC's Index of Bible Studies</font>
Old 08-15-2003, 08:46 AM
Rookie

You're right Tuf, both my lifting and my cardio is based on intensitiy intervals. The work out is only supposed to be 20 minutes, but the workout doesn't have anything schedued for stretch and warm up.

Having had 2 back surgerys since 1998 and recovering nerve damage in a leg. I refuse to run, walk or lift without warming up for at least 5 min's and thoroughly stretching before and after.

I guess i may needlessly add time to the work-out. Im soo afraid of injury though, because usually it will involve my back, and will require lots of time off work and lots of pain killers.

The good thing is I haven't had severe back pain in over a year, and not really any pain since i started working out.. .
brt... im going to knock on a lot of wood [img]/forum/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Old 08-15-2003, 08:53 AM
Mr. Universe

[ QUOTE ]
I refuse to run, walk or lift without warming up for at least 5 min's and thoroughly stretching before and after.
<font color="red">That's great!</font>
I guess i may needlessly add time to the work-out
<font color="red">Absolutely not! Here is an article about stretching. [img]/forum/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] It explains the importance of stretching as well as gives guidelines for proper stretching. [img]/forum/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]</font>

[/ QUOTE ]
<font color="blue">We taped a lot of famous pictures on the locker-room door: Bobby Orr, Potvin, Beliveau, all holding the Stanley Cup. We'd stand back and look at them and envision ourselves doing it. I really believe if you visualize yourself doing something, you can make that image come true...I must have rehearsed it ten thousand times. And when it came true it was like an electric jolt went up my spine.</font>
-Wayne Gretzky

"When prepping for a show, I look at my body as my grade and the training and diet as my homework. If I do my homework I will get a good grade."
-Rhonda Riley

Old 08-15-2003, 08:54 AM
Rookie

Tuf, now that I read the entry HIIT, I realize that's exactly what my brother (also my trainer) made me do when training for fights. As boxers, we had to be able to reach high intensity levels of activity no matter how tired we get. So he would wear me out training, then when i thought i couldnt go anylonger, he'd send me out on interval run/sprints.

hahaha i never knew it was called HIIT, i just called it "my brother's lost his **** mind again" training [img]/forum/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Old 08-15-2003, 09:27 AM
Rookie

FRIDAY-8/15/03-PREP PHASE CHALLENGE BEGINS 8/18/03

QUOTE OF THE DAY: "Success is measured by how close you come to 100% of your capabilities."-somebody

TODAY'S MINDSET GOALS__________________________________

5 things I can do between now and this time tomorrow tht will help prepare for a successful challenge

1. Get my picture's taken.
ACTUAL: SUCCESS!. . .now i gotta get up the nerve to take them to walmart for development. . **** i need a digital. this is embarrasing.

2. Get up early and get measured!
ACTUAL: SETBACK [img]/forum/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] the chick who does the body fat measuring went out of town at last minute or something. She won't be back until Monday after 2pm. This sucks, but i'll still be able to reshedule and get it done Monday-the first day of my challenge.

3. Stretch 30 minutes (doin this everyday).
ACTUAL: SUCCESS!

4. Drink a gallon of water (i believe doin this, along with the stretching, a week before starting will help with leg cramps... I get those bad in my hamstrings.)
ACTUAL: ??? IM NOT SURE.. i drank a lot of water, but i didnt keep track.

5. Get my Menu together and post it!
ACTUAL:Setback--i got it, it ain't posted. . .i've stayed out to late dancing with friends... now im pooped. I'll be posting this as soon as i get up in the morning

DAILY REVIEW____________________________________________
THREE THINGS I DID WELL TODAY THAT WILL HELP PREPARE FOR MY CHALLENGE

1. Got my picture taken
2. Called EAS to make sure all this stuff im gonna be taking wont counteract each other. . . or cause me harm.
3. maintained good eating habits for the day.

ONE THING I WILL DO BETTER TOMORROW______________________
Log my water intake!

GENERAL NOTES: 2pm. Yawwwwnn [img]/forum/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img] i'm soo tired. I should never stay up to 5 am typin in this journal. it's just crazy. expecially when i'm supposed to mak a 4 hour drive up to Atlanta today. Well, i just woke up from a nap, i still feel sluggish. . . i just called my mom and told her im not comming home this weekend. I think it works out best that way. . . otherwise i dont think I would find time to pack next weeks gym bags, post my menu, etc.. . .there's always next weekend to visit. [img]/forum/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
** 7pm. .finally got some energy, went to my brother's house and shot targets with a 20 guage, a 12 guage, and a couple pistols...i learned if i ever need to hit a target.. use a shot gun. I didnt hit the first target with the pistols..
10pm. . .went dancin

Old 08-16-2003, 01:47 PM
Rookie

SATURDAY-8/16/03-PREP PHASE CHALLENGE BEGINS 8/18/03

QUOTE OF THE DAY: "Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by those who are doing it."-somebody

TODAY'S MINDSET GOALS__________________________________

5 things I can do between now and this time tomorrow tht will help prepare for a successful challenge

1. Fill in gym log sheets for week 1 with planed work out. (i'm gonna do everything in writing so i can carry it to the gym, then post it here)
ACTUAL: success!!!! [img]/forum/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

2. Clean the house spotless &amp; organize this week 1's wardrobe for gym and work. Gotta even plan this in advance. ACTUAL: Setback [img]/forum/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] . . . i got the clothes part done, but that sun at the pool made me so sleepy. I napped when i shoulda been cleaning.

3. Stretch 30 minutes
ACTUAL:Success!!!! i got a few funny looks cause i did sun salutations pool side, but who cares right?

4. Drink a gallon of water (i believe doin this, along with the stretching, a week before starting will help with leg cramps... I get those bad in my hamstrings.)
ACTUAL:Success!!! [img]/forum/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] and its about time. I'm not sure if i woulda made it, but I had a gallon of water by the pool, and it was soooo hot today i couldnt stop drinking. LOL, i looked crazy carring around a gallong jug today, but i finally drank a gallon, without having to force myself to drink to make the goal at the end of the night (then spend the rest of the night sleepless for bathroom trips)

5. POST WEEK 1 &amp; 2's MEAL PLAN!
ACTUAL:Success in my book! [img]/forum/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] technically you could say i didnt, because it wasnt done by midnight, but hey i stayed up until it was done, and in my book its still the same day till i go to sleep.

DAILY REVIEW____________________________________________
THREE THINGS I DID WELL TODAY THAT WILL HELP PREPARE FOR MY CHALLENGE
1. drank a gallon of water!
2. laid out my clothes for next week
3. ate pretty well, i think.. we'll soon see if my idea of eating well is really "eating well"

ONE THING I WILL DO BETTER TOMORROW______________________
clean, clean, clean

GENERAL NOTES: 2pm. i've been getting my meals together 3 days now...this is my challenge area. I know pretty much how to work out.. .but advance planning is unnatural to me. expecially nutritional planning. I finally got every thing together yesterday, now i have to post it. im trying to figure out the format i plan to do that in. But this it the last prep day i have so it mus be done today!

but it's bright and sunshiny right now. . . i can't resist. I'm grabbing an apple and a jug of water and takin my butt to the pool.

Old 08-16-2003, 03:12 PM
Mr. Universe

Hey LemonIce! I just thought I would suggest posting one or some of your meal plans in the nutrition forum so that others can critique it for you. In that forum you are more likely to have a lot more people view it and offer help than you are in here. [img]/forum/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
-Wayne Gretzky

-Rhonda Riley

Old 08-17-2003, 01:58 AM
Rookie

MY WEEK 1 CHALLENGE MEAL PLAN 08/18/03-08/23/03

First, i think ya'll should know. . . this is a poor woman's meal plan. My not so smart self, sent off all the the bill money yesterday and set the extra off toward some credit cards im trying to pay off from college... i thought i was doing good, but i forgot to leave me some grocery buying cushion. so I'm going with what's already here.

Next, know that I've never really counted calories or fat, i just try to combine 1 serv of a protien, 1 serving of a complex carb. . . I'f i still feel hungry, which i usually don't . . .I fill up on some sort of veggie.

It seemed pretty simple and easy to manage method, tho now, after reading a lot of your journals, im a little scared of the feedback im gonna get (im somewhat of a perfectionist, that doesnt like to be wrong, but I'll deal with it and improve to meet my goals.)

The Plan______________________________________________ ________________
Monday 8/18/03(upper body day):___________________
8:30 am
1 24 oz of water
2 EAS ThermoDynamx capsules
3 egg (1 yolk/3 white)scramble with salsa
1 wheat tortilla

11 am.(post work out)
24 oz water
1 multi-vitiamin
1 vitiamin c tablet
1 serv. EAS Simply Whey vanilla protien shake mixed with skim milk
1 half bannana

2pm
24 oz water
2 EAS ThermoDynamx capsules
1 serving ground turkey w/spagetti sauce
1 serving wheat pasta

5pm
24 oz water
1 serving EAS Simply Whey Protein shake
the other half of my bannana

7:30pm
24 oz water
1 serving ground turkey w/spagetti sauce
1 serving wheat pasta

10pm
16 oz water
1 serving cottage cheese topped w/ pinapple

Tuesday 8/19/03(cardio day)__________________________
9am (pre-cardio. I dont eat before I go)
24 oz water
2 ThermoDynamx capsules

11 am
24 oz water
multi vitiamin
Vitiamin C
1 bowl oatmeal w/splenda &amp; cinnommon

2pm
24 oz water
2 ThermoDynamx capsules
1 lean turkey pattie
1 baked half fist sized red potatoe topped w/cottage cheese &amp; salsa
-green beans if still hungry.

4:30 pm
24 oz water
2 scoops whey protein shake mixed w/7 oz skim milk, 1 oz black coffee(for taste), slenda &amp; cinnommon

7pm
1 lean turkey pattie
1 baked half fist sized red potatoe topped w/cottage cheese &amp; salsa
-green beans if still hungry.

9:30 pm
24 oz water
2 scoops whey protein shake mixed w/7 oz skim milk, 1 oz black coffee(for taste), slenda &amp; cinnommon

11:30 pm
16 oz water
1 serving cottage cheese

Wednesday 8/20/03(Lower body)________________________
8:30am
24 oz water
2 ThermoDynamx capsules
3 eggs (1 yolk/3 whites) over easy cooked with "I can't believe it's not butter)
2 slices Nature's Own Wheat toast.

11am (post workout)
24 oz water
multi vitiamin
Vitiamin C

2pm.
24oz water
2 ThermoDynamx
1 serving tuna mixed with:
-1 tablespoon fat free mayo
-2 tablespoons salsa
-chopped onion
-couple spriggs of chopped cilantro
1 serving cottage cheese

24 oz water
1 triple layer Balance Gold energy bar (210 cal, 7g fat, 22 carb, 15 protein.)

7pm
24 oz water
1 serving tuna mixed with:
-1 tablespoon fat free mayo
-2 tablespoons salsa
-chopped onion
-couple spriggs of chopped cilantro
1 serving cottage cheese

10pm
16 oz water
1 serv. cottage cheese topped w/crushed pinapple

Thursday 8/21/03(cardio day)_________________________
24 oz water
2 ThermoDynamx capsules

11 am
24 oz of water
multi vitiamin
vitiamin c
3 egg (1 yolk/3 white)scramble with salsa
1 wheat tortilla

2pm
24 oz water
2 ThermoDynamx Capsules

24 oz water
1 half cup black beans w/onions,garlic,cilantro over. . .
1 cup brown rice

7pm
24 oz water
1 half cup black beans w/onions,garlic,cilantro over. . .
1 cup brown rice

9:30pm
24 oz water

11:30pm
16 oz water
1 half cup plain black beans

Friday 08/22/03 (upper body)_________________________
9am
24 oz water
2 ThermoDynamx capsules
1 bowl oatmeal w/splenda &amp; cinnommon

11:30am
24 oz water
multivitiamin
vitiamin c
1 simply whey protein shake, vanilla plain

2pm
24 oz water
2 Thermo Dynamx capsules
1 half Boars head Honey Ham sandwich w (yum, yum!)
--2 slices Nature's Own Wheat bread
--3 oz sliced ham
--1 leaf romaine lettuce
--mustard
--1 slice tomato
--pickles
--fat free mayo
--spiced mustard
1 half cup cottage cheese

5pm (Friday ritual eating @ a Japanese steak house with friends)
24 oz water
1 rainbow Sushi roll
2 miso soup
( I might try sashimi (its just the fish with out all the other sushi dressing)

8 pm
24 oz water
The other half of that ham sandwich

10:30
16 oz water
1 protein shake with 1 half teaspoon of Cappachino mix for flavor &amp; caffine [img]/forum/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Saturday 08/23/03 (cardio day)________________________
24 oz water
2 ThermoDynamx capsules

11 am
24 oz of water
multi vitiamin
vitiamin c
3 egg (1 yolk/3 white)over easy. Topped with ketchup
1 slice wheat toast

2pm
24oz water
2 ThermoDynamx capsules
1 cup cottage cheese (can you tell i love cottage cheese)
topped with (crushed strawberry -splenda to sweeten.

24 oz water
1 chicken breast-grilled on the foreman.Topped with
--2 tablespoons salsa
--chopped green onion and salsa
--1 baked large red (they run small) potato

7pm
24oz water
1 cup cottage cheese (can you tell i love cottage cheese)
topped with (crushed strawberry -splenda to sweeten.

9:30
24 oz water
1 chicken breast-grilled on the foreman.Topped with
--2 tablespoons salsa
--chopped green onion and salsa

11 pm
16 oz water
1 protein shake mixed with skim milk

Closed Thread