LemonIce-"A Beginner's Journey " - ABCbodybuilding

Go Back   ABCbodybuilding > Iron, Metal, & Steel!! > Online Training Journal

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 08-12-2003, 01:29 PM
LemonIce should change his/her status!
Rookie

Default LemonIce-\"A Beginner\'s Journey \"

I just discovered this website and im really excited at the wealth of information I have found here. I'm espcecially excited by the variety of lifting exercises I've found.

I start this first entry off with a brief background history explaining why I've decided to workout, eat right and change my life style, also, my BIO, my long term and short term goals and an outline of the training program I've decided to follow, nutrition and supps.

WHY I STARTED________________________________________
On November 29th, 2002 I looked down and saw a button popped off my size 20 blouse. I never even wanted to believe it was a size 20. I liked to believe the 20's i wore were made small, and I was really an 18. I guess you could call that sort of thinking denial. I even refused to weigh myself. I knew i was around 200 lbs, not much over.
I guess that's when it hit me--I'm a mess, I've let my self go. When the button popped off, I was mortified to think I was gonna have to start buying clothes--Size 22 clothes! So i joined a gym and learned my around 200 lb self, was really a whopping 233 lbs. At 5.4 that's not really eye candy ya know?
From November to Janurary I went to they gym about 3 days a week and wasted time. I did cardio here and there, tried a few classes, refused to touch weights cause i didn't want to bulk up. Ya know, I had the idea... I just didnt have a plan.
In January, a friend of mine got a Body For Life Journal for her birthday and I was really impressed by the orgainization of it-I liked the idea of having a plan and tracking my progress so I got a journal of my own.
Before I knew it, I was in a 12 week competition that lasted from 01/27/03 to 04/20/03. and slowly changing my body, my attitude... well cheesy and predictable as it sounds. . . my life.

MY FIRST CHALLENGE:_________________________________
Hahah... was putting my 233 lb self in a two piece and finding the nerve to ask a friend to take a front, back and side photo of me. Next, (since I don't own a digital camera), was working up the nerve to take the film to local, small town "where everybody knows your name" Wal-mart and getting the film developed. Once I did that, came the first two weeks of sorness. . . when i discovered mucsles i never knew existed.
Then came mental alertness, feeling good, confident, by about six weeks, i didnt have to pin my shirts together anymore for fear of busting out again in the middle of a meeting. . .
I ended my first challenge dropping from 35% body fat to 26% body fat. I went from 233 lbs to 217. Size 20, to a loose 18/20. (i think i could go down to 16/18's but i dont want to look like an excited fat chick in too small clothes [img]/forum/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img])

[img]/forum/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] oh. . . another big accomplishment--I quit smoking! when i started this challenge. [img]/forum/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

SECOND CHALLENGE [img]/forum/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] ________________________________
It was a bust. The dates were to be 05/27/03 to 08/17/03. but you could say. . . its over. I havent worked out in a month. I like to blame it on the sinus problems i had, and work, or time. . . really these are all challenges i had, and overcame the first time. There's really no excuse, I've been sorry for about a month now, and its time to chalk it up to bein lazy, get over it and do what i know is right. . . and that's all im gonna say about that, folks.

THE NEW CHALLENGE (08/18/03 to 11/20/03)____________
Well it starts Monday. I'm preping this week, getting groceries together, planning nice healthy approved protein rich meals. Cleaning and organizing my house so it will be easier to maintain on the run (and boy will it be busy), drinking a gallon of water a day this week (to help with cramps), takin my vitiamins and stretching, stretching stretching (to help with cramps. I get those a lot in my left leg where i had nerve damage from an accident.)

In Addition, i'll hopefully have lots of advice from people here.

BIO:________________________________________________
Name: Sylvia
Sex: Female
Height: 5.4
Body Weight: TBA by 8/18/03
Body Fat: TBA by 8/18 (last i checked 26%, but i haven't worked out in a month, im sure its gone up.)
Clothes size: Comfortalble women's 18/20
Biceps: TBA
Triceps: TBA
Forearms: TBA
Chest: TBA
Waist: TBA
Quads: TBA
Calves: TBA

LONG TERM GOALS______________________________________

1. My #1 dream is to compete professionally in either, body building, Ms. Fitness America, Latin Dance contests or Belly Dancing--hmm maybe eventually all 4. If i could only choose one, then I would work toward the belly dance thing.

2. Strenthen my back. I was an amatuer boxer until a car accident in 1998 that resulted in back surgery and chronic back pain. I used this as an excuse to get lazy, and eventually out of shape and fat--instead of working out to strenthen my back.

3. Be a size 10 clothes size. I havent seen that size since high school, 12 is the closest i've ever gotten. But I'm positive that is the perfect size for me. I don't ever want to be bone thin, I'm more into the healthy, well toned/muscled look.

4. Get down to 12% body fat.

5. Be able to run a mile or more without stopping. I'm sure it seems that any ol' person can do this. But I havent been able to accomplish this in years. In my first challenge, I couldn't do more than walk fast at a 3.8 mile/hr speed with out my chest feeling like it would burst. By the end of the 12 weeks i was able to jog up to 5.2 miles/hr for 3 minutes, then walk a minute--and cycle that 4 to 5 times. I was really proud of that.

6. The last long term goal-which will be a daily effort-To be more organized in all aspects of my life. I notice when im completely into working out i have to organize and plan at work and at home to make sure my schedule allows for 6 meals a day, time in the gym, cooking, meal planning, cleaning, meetings etc. I found that planning & list making kept me on track through the first challenge and I was also more productive at home and at work. I would like this to be a regular thing, cause in spite of the benifits, i seem to fall out of the habit of scheduling a few weeks at a time.

SHORT TERM GOALS_____________________________________

1. By November 20, 2003, I will be at 20% body fat or less. I dont believe i'm at more than 28% right now, but I get measured Friday. Anyway. . .20% is a realistic goal, right?

2. By November 20, 2003, I will comfortably wear a women's size 14 or smaller. (and im not talkin about the cram my *** in a too small size clothes, hanging and bustin out of them just to prove a point type of wear [img]/forum/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] )

3. By November 20, 2003 I will be able to jog/run a complete 30 minute cardio session withouth thinking im gonna pass out or die.

4. Though I dont plan to weigh through out the 12 weeks, I plan to be less than 195 lbs by November 20th. Yep, finally kissing the 200lb club GOOD BYE!!--while gaining muscle.

5. By November 20, I will have helped 2 friends get off thier butts and start working out.

OVERCOMING OLD PATTERNS______________________________
Here are a couple of patterns of action I believe killed me in my last attempt/challenge, combined with a new pattern of action to try and correct these challenges.

1. Old Pattern: I stopped setting daily nutritional & workout goals and comparing them against what I actually did.
New Pattern: Set aside 30 minutes every morning to plan my day--meals and workout.

2. Old Pattern: I stopped drinkin as much water as i should.
New Pattern: Drink at least a gallon of water a day. Put it on my to do list.

3. Old Pattern: In my last challenge, I let my friends distract me. Stayed out late, missed a few morning workouts.
New Pattern: Get my friends to understand and support that my health is a priority for me, and schedule outings on on my days off when i have more time.

MY Twelve Week Goals: Get down to 20% bodyfat, Weigh less than 200 lbs, be able to jog/run 20 to 25 minutes HIIT style without walking or stopping [img]/forum/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

My Stats<font color="red">8/20/03</font><font color="green">--My Two week goal</font>
Weight:<font color="red">216</font><font color="green">--n/a</font>
Body fat<font color="red">27.1</font><font color="green">--26</font>
Neck:<font color="red">15.5 in</font><font color="green">--15.25</font>
Bicep:<font color="red">16.5 in</font><font color="green">--16.25</font>
Chest:<font color="red">47 in</font><font color="green">--46.5</font>
Waist:<font color="red">40 in</font><font color="green">--39.75</font>
Hips:<font color="red">49 in</font><font color="green">--48.75</font>
Upper Thigh:<font color="red">26.25 in</font><font color="green">--25.75</font>
Quads:<font color="red">23.25 in</font><font color="green">--n/a</font>
Calves:<font color="red">15.25 in</font><font color="green">--n/a</font>

"Don't be content with being average. Average is as close to the bottom as it is to the top."
Old 08-12-2003, 02:14 PM
RicoCPA should change his/her status!
Light-Heavyweight

Default Re: LemonIce\'s Body For Life Journey

Welcome aboard. You will soon find this site to be very ADDICTIVE!!!!

Good luck. [img]/forum/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Weight: 184 lbs. (cutting, now)
BF%: 14.78% (as of 4/20/04)
Chest: 45" / Bicep: 15 1/2" / Forearm: 12 1/2" / Quad: 24" / Calf 16" (As of 2/5/04)
"Thou shalt not allow anything to deter you in your quest for ALL!!"
Old 08-12-2003, 06:01 PM
MaxC should change his/her status!
Middleweight

Welcome--Best of luck to you!
Old 08-13-2003, 12:39 PM
Rookie

WEDNESDAY-8/14/03-PREP PHASE CHALLENGE BEGINS 8/18/03

QUOTE OF THE DAY "It's easier to get up and go to the gym every morning than it is to look in the mirror and not like what you see."

TODAY'S MINDSET GOALS__________________________________

5 things I can do between now and this time tomorrow tht will help prepare for a successful challenge

1. Download training worksheets and decide on exercizes for upper body and lower body days.
ACTUAL:SUCCESS!!--I downloaded the training worksheets, and set up a workbook for the entire twelve weeks. It is divided in two week sections. Every two weeks i will measure and set goals for the next two weeks.

2. Read through ABC's and BFL's recipe's and pick out recipies to start planning a menu for the first two weeks.
ACTUAL:SUCCESS! Today I read over 'Twelve weeks to burning fat "the Diet"'. and 'Thirteen weeks to hard core fat burning. . . I'm looking over the menu's. Between that and some of the recipes i found on the Body for Life site--i should have my first two weeks scheduled soon. I plan to post the Menu by Sunday night so i can get feedback.

3. Stretch 30 minutes (doin this everyday).
ACTUAL: SUCCESS!--did this one on my lunch break. I did yoga stretches "the sun salutaion" for 30 minutes. I learned that stretch after my accident. It always makes my back feel good.

4. Drink a gallon of water (i believe doin this, along with the stretching, a week before starting will help with leg cramps... I get those bad in my hamstrings.)
ACTUAL: okay, im scratchin my head here. . . i drank 5 24 oz bottles of water today=120 oz. is that a gallon? lol it's sad i'm not sure how many ounces are in a gallon. somebody help me out, please.

5. Find a friend to take my "before" pictures and schedule a time for the pictures to be taken.
ACTUAL: setback [img]/forum/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] I have to say i really forgot about this. I definitely have to make this top priorty tomorrow.

DAILY REVIEW____________________________________________
THREE THINGS I DID WELL TODAY THAT WILL HELP PREPARE FOR MY CHALLENGE

1. Put together a note book with spread sheets to set bi-weekly goals and compare results vs. goals

2. Ate 6 small meels today each with 1 serv. protein/complex carb. (starting the habit off early)

3. Stretched really well.

ONE THING I WILL DO BETTER TOMORROW______________________
I will schedule someone to take my before shots.

MY Twelve Week Goals: Get down to 20% bodyfat, Weigh less than 200 lbs, be able to jog/run 20 to 25 minutes HIIT style without walking or stopping [img]/forum/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

My Stats<font color="red">8/20/03</font><font color="green">--My Two week goal</font>

"Don't be content with being average. Average is as close to the bottom as it is to the top."
Old 08-13-2003, 01:20 PM
Tuf should change his/her status!
Mr. Universe

LemonIce,

First of all, I just wanted to welcome you to ABC! [img]/forum/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

I very much enjoyed reading your story. I am really impressed with your attitude and determination. You have written down several specific goals, which I think is a big step toward accomplishing them! [img]/forum/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

It looks like you have set up your program in a way that will allow you to be very honest with yourself, comparing your actual efforts with your goals, and I think that sounds like an approach that will lend to success!

Ultimately, you will be the one who determines your success, but I wholeheartedly believe that ABC can give you all of the tools you need to make your efforts pay off!!!

I would recommend that you read the 12 Weeks to Burning Fat Diet and the 12 Weeks to Burning Fat Workouts! I think using those programs would be an excellent place for you to start!

Also, I think that joining the current HYPERplasia Challenge might serve as a great help to you! It would give you motivation, you could get diet and workout critiques from other members and from the incredible moderators of the site AND it ends in late November (which lines up perfectly with your timeline for your above stated goals!)! [img]/forum/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] [img]/forum/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
<font color="blue">We taped a lot of famous pictures on the locker-room door: Bobby Orr, Potvin, Beliveau, all holding the Stanley Cup. We'd stand back and look at them and envision ourselves doing it. I really believe if you visualize yourself doing something, you can make that image come true...I must have rehearsed it ten thousand times. And when it came true it was like an electric jolt went up my spine.</font>
-Wayne Gretzky

http://www.rhondariley.com/009/thumbs/005.jpg
"When prepping for a show, I look at my body as my grade and the training and diet as my homework. If I do my homework I will get a good grade."
-Rhonda Riley

<font color="009999">Click Here for ABC's Forum Rules</font>
<font color="purple">Click Here for ABC's Index of Bible Studies</font>
Old 08-13-2003, 04:36 PM
nozzle should change his/her status!
National Champion

LemonIce, welcome!!

Ditto what Tuf said.

If we can be of any help, just let us know!

[img]/forum/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-14-2003, 10:02 AM
Rookie

THURSDAY-8/14/03-PREP PHASE CHALLENGE BEGINS 8/18/03

QUOTE OF THE DAY: "There's a world of difference between knowing what to do and actually doing it"-Bill Phillips

5 things I can do between now and this time tomorrow tht will help prepare for a successful challenge

1. Find a friend to take my "before" pictures and schedule a time for the pictures to be taken.
ACTUAL: SUCCESS! I have a friend scheduled to take my front, back and side before pictures in the morning. I'm kinda aprehensive about it cause im still too fat to be standin around in a 2 piece. . . well the quicker i get it over it, the quicker i can move on and get to work.

2. Make week 1's menu and create a grocery list.
ACTUAL: SETBACK [img]/forum/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] i'm soo overwhelmed at all the recipes i've found here. im not sure what to choose, i've just been printing and printing.

ACTUAL:SUCESS! [img]/forum/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

4. Drink a gallon of water (i believe doin this, along with the stretching, a week before starting will help with leg cramps... I get those bad in my hamstrings.)
ACTUAL: SETBACK [img]/forum/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]i only got 4 24 ounce bottles in today. I gotta make sure i drink at least 16 oz every meal. I know once i start working out the water intake will increase cause i drink like a fish in the gym.

5.Get the suppluments I'll need to get complete my challeng.
ACTUAL:mostly thereWhat i have so far is: -2 5 lb jugs of Whey Protein
-2 bottles of ThermoDynamx
-150 count bottle of Vitiamin C
-A bottle of potassium pills (for those leg cramps)
-A bottle of Aleve-(for the first two weeks of muscle soreness-just in case it REALLY hurts)
-Women's multi vitiamins
-A bottle of Echinacia (Boost Immune system-we've been getting colds a lot down here in South GA as it is)

I still need to get:
-Chromium (tho i'm not sure if i should take Chromium and ThermoDynamx at once...The ThermoDynamx has a huge warning label. I'm pretty scared to mix anything with it.)
-Protein bars
-Ready made "Grab &amp; Run" protein shakes

--didn't have time to shop today. Had to be at work 2 hours early. so i worked from 12 noon to 1 am. (had to stay late too.) and well... i'm glad to be off tomorrow.

1. I'm not sure if its good or not, but i printed tons of recipes. . .tho i got bogged down in here from 1:15 am to now, just reading posts and checking out the awesome links members here seem to have.

2. I printed 84 pages of "My mindset goals" spreadsheet (one for each day of my challenge) so i can write my goals and check them off as i do them... and of course, update here too.

3. not only did i get somebody to take my pic tomorrow, but I scheduled an appointment for the gym manager to measure me tomorrow. Now i just have to read this 9 point body fat thing and print it so she can do it. . . i wonder if she'll charge more for that?

eat every 2.5 to 3 hours. My eating stank today. [img]/forum/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] I had a lot to do at work and i didnt eat from 12:30 pm to 8:30. . . though i was scheduled to go to lunch at 6pm. . . I forgot all about eating until i was slammed with a horrible headache, stomach pains and i was shakey.. . then i had to focus on not scarfing my food down... This kinda thing cannot happen during my challenge!

Old 08-14-2003, 10:28 AM
Mr. Universe

[ QUOTE ]
WEDNESDAY-8/14/03-PREP PHASE CHALLENGE BEGINS 8/18/03

QUOTE OF THE DAY "It's easier to get up and go to the gym every morning than it is to look in the mirror and not like what you see."

1. Download training worksheets and decide on exercizes for upper body and lower body days.
ACTUAL:SUCCESS!!--I downloaded the training worksheets, and set up a workbook for the entire twelve weeks. It is divided in two week sections. Every two weeks i will measure and set goals for the next two weeks.

2. Read through ABC's and BFL's recipe's and pick out recipies to start planning a menu for the first two weeks.
ACTUAL:SUCCESS! Today I read over 'Twelve weeks to burning fat "the Diet"'. and 'Thirteen weeks to hard core fat burning. . . I'm looking over the menu's. Between that and some of the recipes i found on the Body for Life site--i should have my first two weeks scheduled soon. I plan to post the Menu by Sunday night so i can get feedback.<font color="red">Will you be following either the 12 or 13 week diet and/or workout program?</font>

ACTUAL: SUCCESS!--did this one on my lunch break. <font color="red">What dedication! Did you still have time to eat lunch though? [img]/forum/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]</font> I did yoga stretches "the sun salutaion" for 30 minutes. I learned that stretch after my accident. It always makes my back feel good.

ACTUAL: okay, im scratchin my head here. . . i drank 5 24 oz bottles of water today=120 oz. is that a gallon? lol it's sad i'm not sure how many ounces are in a gallon. somebody help me out, please.<font color="red">1 gallon=128 oz. You were very close! [img]/forum/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] </font>

5. Find a friend to take my "before" pictures and schedule a time for the pictures to be taken.
ACTUAL: setback [img]/forum/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] I have to say i really forgot about this. I definitely have to make this top priorty tomorrow.

1. Put together a note book with spread sheets to set bi-weekly goals and compare results vs. goals

2. Ate 6 small meels today each with 1 serv. protein/complex carb. (starting the habit off early)

3. Stretched really well.

I will schedule someone to take my before shots.

<font color="red">Great job on accomplishing so many of your goals! And I saw your comment in the HYPERplasia Challenge thread! [img]/forum/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] Have you signed up? By the way, though you may lose fat and gain muscle, it is much more productive to focus on one at a time. [img]/forum/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
<font color="blue">We taped a lot of famous pictures on the locker-room door: Bobby Orr, Potvin, Beliveau, all holding the Stanley Cup. We'd stand back and look at them and envision ourselves doing it. I really believe if you visualize yourself doing something, you can make that image come true...I must have rehearsed it ten thousand times. And when it came true it was like an electric jolt went up my spine.</font>
-Wayne Gretzky

"When prepping for a show, I look at my body as my grade and the training and diet as my homework. If I do my homework I will get a good grade."
-Rhonda Riley

Old 08-14-2003, 11:17 AM
Rookie

Which program will i be following: The concepts in the ABC 12 week program are pretty simular to those i've followed in the Body for Life program. I plan on starting out with what i know--The BFL program, and using the other to compare notes, modify, etc. but there's really not much differences that i've found.

When I stretched on lunch. . .i didn't have time to eat, but I used my lunch break to go print the down loads i needed to organize a workout journal to take to the gym, and stretch. Luckily I'd already cooked my food in advance, so when I got back to work, ate in the office while i did some paper work.

Focusing on body fat loss or muscle gain vs. working on both at once. . . Does'nt my metabolism work better as i build muscle? doesn't that help burn body fat faster in the long run?. . . I understand your point tuf, I don't think i'll really bulk up, but it can't hurt to lift while focusing on the fat loss right?

OH. . . I did sign up for the Hyperplasia Challenge today. . .tho i didn't see many comments from women there.

Old 08-14-2003, 12:57 PM
Mr. Universe

[ QUOTE ]
Does'nt my metabolism work better as i build muscle? doesn't that help burn body fat faster in the long run?. . . I understand your point tuf, I don't think i'll really bulk up, but it can't hurt to lift while focusing on the fat loss right?

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey again, LemonIce!

Yes, increasing your muscle mass will speed your metabolism, which will help you to burn more calories.

When you are a new to bodybuilding, you can lose fat and gain muscle at the same time through proper nutrition and workouts. However, it will be much more difficult as you advance.

In order to lose fat you must have a caloric deficit, while gaining mass is the result of consuming more calories in a day than you burn. So you can see how it is more efficient to focus on one or the other.

And by all means, YES, you should continue to lift--whether you are cutting or bulking! [img]/forum/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I did not mean that you would bulk up by lifting weights. I was trying to explain the above concepts, namely, unless you are new to the sport it is not likely that you will gain muscle and lose fat at the same time. I'm sorry if I confused you. [img]/forum/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img] The fact that it is more productive to focus on one or the other is something I learned recently, so I am may not be articulating this as well as others could.

Last time I looked at the challenge I saw that you, Bombflower and Schless had signed up (all women). [img]/forum/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] It was announced relatively recently, so there is still time for others to join. [img]/forum/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] With your daily goal-setting and evaluation of yourself, I think you'll do great!
-Wayne Gretzky

-Rhonda Riley

Closed Thread