Closed Thread

Old 07-19-2003, 12:22 AM
gamgirl20 should change his/her status!
Rookie

Default Re: Erica\'s first journal!!!

Meal 1: ABout 1 cup fresh strawberries

Meal 2: 1 oz. deli turkey slices

Meal 3: 4 oz. chicken breast, 1 cup mushrooms, 1/2 baked potato

and for the super bad part...had some dessert (i wont even list that I KNOW it was a bad idea)

AT GYM:

30 min. brisk walking on treadmill -shin splints still prevent running for now

Squats 3x8x65
straight led dead lift 2x10x45
Bench press 1x5x45
3x4x70
Old 07-20-2003, 10:48 PM
Rookie

So I know everything Ive been doing is bad and wrong and I really want to change it..its just so hard to find something that works and stick to it. Last night I went out and was bad bad bad. I definatly binged beyond control and kept going once I came home. Lets just say there was mozz. sticks, daiquaris, liquorice, Lots of pizza, and chocolate covered strawberries involved... I feel so guilty!!! Well today I woke up and told myself I was not going to eat bad today. So here's what my day consisted of:

AT GYM:

60 min. walk/run intervals on treadmill

Meal 1: Healthy choice TV dinner (turkey and wild rice w/veggies)

some snacks i had to conquer hunger: 2 pieces of turkey jerky, fresh strawberries about 6-7

I also bought some flax seed oil gel caps today cuz i read in places that they are good for you. I know i shoulda bought the oil i think i read but this is going to have to do for now. it was cheaper. question for everyone is when should i take the flax seed pills and how many? it says to take up to 6 a day. also what exactly does it do?? im currently taking a multi-vitamin, an iron supplement, and calcium supplements also. and before work outs i will take 200 mg. of caffine. PLEASE LET ME KNOW WHAT IM DOING WRONG AND RIGHT HERE. I AM CLUELESS I THINK.
Old 07-21-2003, 09:13 AM
should change his/her status! Edit

OK. I'm about to spend alot of time writing this reply, so please do me the courtesy of reading it! PM me if you don't understand anything. I'm a blunt kind of person so I don't mean to be rude to you, just clear.

Your diet completely sucks. Plain and simple.
you're not eating enough, so you exercise, so you binge out of control. To be honest, I think you need to start from scratch. Just forget EVRYTHING you know about food and start again.

DO NOT focus on losing weight/cutting cals etc. Just focus on cleaning up your diet and stabilising your metabolism and your blood sugar. You may then find that fat will come off anyway, without having to reduce calories. Certainbly you'll feel a hell of a lot better.

Here's what I think you should do:
1) Get along to www.fitday.com and get the hang of it. It's fairly easy to use, if you have problems PM me as I'm a bit of a whizz at it now (or ask some of the other girls here).
It's an online calculator that will tell you how much you are eating in terms of calories and in terms of the percentage of fat, carbs and protein you need. You need to know what you're eating in terms of volume/weights (so home-cooked food and fresh/unprocessed food helkps here)

2) It's a dam shame that ***********'s excellent advice is no longer here as she had some fab stuff about what constitutes a healthy diet.
Foods that are good are:

Carbs: the more "whole" the better
brown rice, oatmeal, wholewheat bread, wholewheat pasta, sweet potatoes, yams, couscous, bulghur wheat etc

Vegetables are also a majorly good source of carbs: any greean veg and salad especially, but also mushrooms, pepeprs,eggplant, tomatoes, onions etc

Fruits should be less prominent in your diet as they have alot of sugar but it's OK to have a piece or two breakfast/midmorning.

Protein sources are:
eggs, fish, lean meat (especially chicken, turkey and lean beef), tofu. Cheese also has protein but watch the fat content! Some people also use protein supplements like whey or soy powders. Low fat cottage cheese is great too

Fats:
Basically, you want to try and cut down on saturated fats. Good healthy fats include most oils that are liquid at room temperature, like flax oil, olive oil, sunflower and safflower oil and canola (rapeseed) oil. There is also quite a bit of healthy fat in fish like salmon and mackerel. Meat like fatty beef and dairy is rich in saturated fat so try to not eat too much of these.

Basically: using fitday as your tool, you need to work out an acceptable diet for you that adds up to AT LEAST 2000 calories per day. That will be ALOT. Then you need to make sure that the things you are eating add up in a ratio of roughly (for example) 40% protein to 30% carbs to 30% fat. Be vigilant about what you eat. is "a couple of spoons of PB" really a couple of spoons, or was it half the jar??

Spread your meals out to 4,5 or 6 small meals per day.

For me, a sample type day on a normal diet might be:
breakfast: porridge made from oatmeal, soy powder, cinnamon and udo's oil
snack: hard boiled eggs, fruit
lunch: tuna salad or chicken salad with olive oil dressing, yoghurt
snack: cottage cheese with onion/chives on crackers, prawns
dinner: meat or fish (baked, steamd grilled or stewed) with tons of vegetables and a small serving or rice or pasta. Fruit for dessert.

If you look in my journal ("From Hobbit to Goddess") you'll see more of what I get up to exercise and diet-wise (but bear in mind that at the moment I'm trying the Atkins diet, which is low carb)

I usually work out in the mornings before breakfast so I don't have a post-workout shake as many people do (also because they make me sick).

You need to formulate some proper eating plans for the day. Play around on fitday, adjusting quantities and types of foods until you come up with a plan that works for you that you feel you cna stick to.
And make SURE YOU EAT ENOUGH.
Repeat: MAKE SURE YOU EAT ENOUGH.
preferably 2000 cals per day, absolute MINIMUM of 1800. If you are aeting good healthy choices with loads of veg, you will find it tough to hit this figure- which is great cos you can eat loads of food (but healthy stuff only).

Make a commitment to yourself to do this, make a plan, and stick to it. But don't be too rigid- find out what works for you best. If you feel really lethargic, up the amount of carbs (but watch the calories).

You're 21, you're an adult. You can take responsibility for your own health and fitness. Try explaining to your mom you want to cook your own meals (maybe just try it for 2 weeks and see how you go). If you're stuck for recipe ideas, PM me, and check out the recipes page here.

I can see you're floundering, so I've given you the best advice I can.

Also, you should formulate a decent workout plan and state it here in your journal.
For example, mine looks like this (for last week):
Monday: spinning (cycling class)and abs class
Tuesday: leg weights
Wednesday: spinning and abs
thursday: chest, shoulders and tricep weights
friday: spining and abs
saturday: back and bicep weights
Sunday: spinning and leg weights.

Best of luck. Hope this helps you- feel free to PM me if you want to chat about it, or reply here.
Old 07-21-2003, 12:40 PM
Rookie

gymkitten thank you so much for responding. i kinda had a feeling eevrything was all wrong. ill check out fitday right now. feel free to keep giving me criticism and advice as i truly need it. ill keep posting my food and workouts.
Old 07-21-2003, 12:58 PM
Rookie

WELL i set up something on fitday.com and im going to post the link to any one who wants to view it...and hopefully set me sraight and help me out [img]/forum/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] and gym kitten you were right about the peanut butter... im addicted and i really kinda forget how much i eat sometimes... i had more than i shoulda this morning and im not gonna let myself do it again. it was before i read your reply too just so ya know.

Fitday Journal
Old 07-21-2003, 03:12 PM
Erikabomb should change his/her status!

I think that GymKitten gave excellent advice. Just remember that this is a process and it takes time. I have been trying to clean up my diet for almost 2 years now and I still find that I give in to the bad stuff to much. I am much healthier now than I ever was but I still have my weak spots. I would say to do more weights because when you do weights you burn fat for a longer period of time after you have stopped than with cardio. I do not think your muscles will really get that much bigger because even if you think you have no fat on them I am sure there is some there. I have been using fitday as well and find it to be a really good source. Like I said just take your time, you are trying to change habits that have been forming for 21 years. They are not goiing to change overnight. I believe you have already checked out my journal so you can continue to look at it and maybe it will help you. Good luck!
Old 07-21-2003, 03:51 PM
Rookie

thanks so much...ill try and be more patient its just hard.. i think the fitday thing though will help definatly. i ate tuna for the first time today also..it wasnt so bad!
Old 07-21-2003, 11:11 PM
Rookie

Im doing good so far! if anyone who reads this can check out my fitday journal and tell me how it looks so far that would be awesome!
http://www.fitday.com/WebFit/PublicJ...wner=gamgirl21

Old 07-22-2003, 06:40 AM

The only entry I have seen is for yesterday (21st July) and I'm sorry to say your diet still sucks.

For a start it's only 1080 calories. You need to eat TWICE that. Your ratios of protein: carb: fat are about 45:15:40, and I think you would do better with 40:30:30
Also, the range of food is far too limited in your diet- where's the fruit and veg??????
Also, ready made meals aren't great as they're just full of crap. Try and cook for yourself if you can- or even offer to cook for the family.

Here is a sample diet for you for one day. Bear in mind this is my opinion, and others on this site will have other opinions. I think you should just get your head round what constitutes a healthy diet first, before you start tinkering with specifics.

I haven't specified portion sizes, you'll have to put them into fitday and tinker about with them. Basically, you can have unlimited veg, watch out on how much PB you have, only have 1-2 pieces of fruit per day. Snack preferably on proteiny things like hard-boiled eggs, prawns, jerky. Watch out for refined sugar and baked products (bagels, doughnuts etc- all crap). Diet sodas only!

Once you start eating healthily, you'll be AMAZED how much you can eat and still stay around 1900-2000 cals and with a good ratio of protein:carbs:fat. Be sensible. And DON'T starve yoruself, you'll just damage your metabolism even more.

Breakfast:
porridge made with skimmed milk, water (if needed) and oats, 2 egg omlette

mid-morning: piece of fruit, turkey jerky, (or an apple or some celery with 1.5 tablespoons peanut butter. Make sure your PB is sugar-free)

Lunch: grilled chicken salad with olive oil dressing.

Snack: 4oz tuna mixed with 2oz low fat cottage cheese (try adding herbs and spices, hot sauce, salsa, or use flavoured cottage cheese)

dinner: meat or fish, cooked in a healthy way (steamed, grilled, dry-fryed, roast without too much oil) with lots of vegetables. SMALL serving of brown rice or past, or a small potato or sweet potato, or a piece of wholewheat bread.
Dessert: sugar-free jello

Hope this helps. Best of luck.
Old 07-22-2003, 06:53 AM

And by the way, it's taken me 2 years to get to a point where my diet is what I would consider to be healthy- but just don't even ASK what I ate on holiday 2 weeks ago [img]/forum/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
And I still go through really rubbish phases when I'll eat a whole packet of cereal in a day (not recommended- the diarrhea was terrible [img]/forum/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img] )

Education is the key to weight loss. As soon as you understand WHY you should or shouldn't eat things, and how your metabolism works you will gradually start to pick up, feel better and hopefully lose fat.

Yet again DO NOT starve yourself. It sounds like you've been battling your metabolism for ages, eating too little then splurging. Why do you think your body hangs on to every bit of fat it can get? It's because it nevers knows if you're going to starve it or smother it.

Eating enough healthy food with boost your metabolism (n conjunction with doing cardoio AND lifting heavy weights), enabling you to burn off fat (as your body knows its got a good supply of healthy stuff). Plus what I said earlier about muscle burning more calories than fat anyway. You'll feel better, with more energy, you'll look great.

BUT. It's not easy. It's tough to keep making the right choices, it's hard to make your family and friends understand. It's tough to keep going to the gym, week in, week out. and when I started out 2 years ago I found it really hard going.

2 years later, I have lost over 35lb of fat, am in better shape than when I was 16, have run half marathons and feel FANTASTIC. It's not a quick fix but I have now got habits that will stay with me for life.

And I'm not just doing this for vanity. I'm doing this because I don't want to be gradually suffocating from emphysema like my grandpa (after a life of smoking), I don't want to die of a stroke at a young age like my grandma (from drinking smoking and lack of exercise), and I certainly don't want to spend half my life with diabetes like my other grandpa. I don't want to end up like my dad- overweight and out of breath walking up stairs.

You've only got one body, you've only got one life, you've just got to get on with it.
So... are you going to waste it, or are you going to make a few months of effort now which will help the rest of your life?
Go on!!
Closed Thread