5 meals a day? - Page 2 - ABCbodybuilding

Go Back   ABCbodybuilding > Iron, Metal, & Steel!! > Female Specific Athletic Forum

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 07-07-2003, 07:10 PM
enderwigginout should change his/her status!
Heavyweight

Default Re: 5 meals a day?

Hrmmm...if you want my opinion, I'd have to suggest adding more veggies (spinich is a good example...i find it MUCH more filling than lettuce and its not so wet) to some of your meals (the more food in the tummy, even if its a filler, makes you less hungry between meals).

Also maybe drop the soy milk or at least decrease it and make it FOOD instead of something to sip, drinks never have filled me up at all and they just jack up your calories (although it looks like that is a shake). I'd suggest maybe looking into changing this first shake up a bit. For me, I put a banana, a scoop of (natural) whey, and some ice in a blender and that's the first thing I have in the morning. On the weekends I go off to the gym and lift and have my dextrose/whey shake after and then a good meal. During the week I have my shake and then go directly to class and during the first break I eat a turkey sandwich. So, the shake only has to last me 1-2 hours (most of the time 1.5 hours tops). This works for me. I also have trouble trying to eat first thing (makes me feel kind of sick to eat first thing) so this has been invaluable and tasty.

You may want to loose the margarine and use PAM (non-stick spray), since there's plenty of fat in the chicken (and its better for you).

You may want to combine the eggs into one meal (like veggies & scrambled eggs & some oatmeal) and drop one of the egg yolks. This would give you some more fats to play around with. I find that eggs just do not have the staying power to quench my hunger like something like chicken or tuna (w/olive oil) does. Something that works great for me as a last meal, is about 4 oz of tuna over 1-2 cups of frozen veggies with some olive oil on top.

Also as a general suggestion, I'd say add a bit more meat to each meal. It will make you feel fuller (like 4 oz of tuna instead of 3 or 5 oz of chicken instead of 3). I get a little over 200g of protein in some days but it doesn't seem to have hurt me yet, so don't let that stop you. [img]/forum/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 07-07-2003, 07:13 PM
Heavyweight

Oh by the way, I change the meats I eat in my fifth meal around a lot. I usually eat chicken during the week, but on the weekends my training partner and I will cook together. So, one or twice a week I'll eat steak (especially on arm day) or sometimes salmon or pork.
Old 07-07-2003, 07:35 PM
JV1311 should change his/her status!
Light-Heavyweight

I eat spinach very often, in fact there is hardly ever lettuce in the house. Spinach and arugula are my top veggies, and I make sure to add them to 3 of the meals. The funny thing is I am not hungry, I just find it hard to plan 6 meals that are less than 1,900-2,000 cals a day. And honestly, I think I should be keeping it to 1,700-1,800 to see some real change.

The soy milk is 30 cals for each 1/2 cup, and I put it in the oatmeal to make it more palatable. Oatmeal in water is not a pleasure to eat for me, it is something I gotta eat cold while holding my nose and drink something to get the bad taste off my mouth right after. It also adds a bit more fat and protein with only a trace of carb. I slice the banana in the oatmeal. I don't like shakes, I only have 3 shakes a week post workout.

I also lift at around 11 am, so if my breakfast were just a shake, it wouldn't hold me until then. And I am the opposite from you, I've always been a breakfast eater. I wake up hungry and I need hot food. Sometimes I will even trade and eat brown rice and chicken and a salad for breakfast, and eat my breakfast food later.

There is no PAM here or anything similar. The 30% fat margarine is what I use after spreading it with a brush, either that or olive oil spread the same way. I know margarine is horrible for the health, but there are some foods I really don't wanna eat with olive oil. Besides, cholesterol is not a concern for me.

The chicken only has 3g fat, which is not enough fat for the meal. It is skinless breast, cooked in water.

The doctor actually told me to have 2 yolks a day, cause I have really low cholesterol. It wouldn't be a health concern if it weren't directly linked to depression, and I've been on and off antidepressants most of my life.

When I was eating 2,200 cals a day, I was getting a lot more meat and feeling pretty good. Too bad the mirror, the calipers, and the tape measure don't like that many calories...
Old 07-07-2003, 07:44 PM
Heavyweight

You crack me up! [img]/forum/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] That all makes sense. It took me a few weeks before I could stomach plain oatmeal, but luckily I can get through it now without gagging. [img]/forum/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] A tip? Poor really really hot Asian hot sauce on your eggs and then you'll appreiate the cool, blandness of the oatmeal. [img]/forum/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Devils advocate: What was your body fat before? Are you too low and need to be at a higher body fat? What about doing an extra day of cardio instead or carb/calorie cycling or some other thing like that?

It's not fun to have the body you want if you feel like crap while you have it. [img]/forum/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] [img]/forum/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] [img]/forum/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 07-07-2003, 08:27 PM
MEB should change his/her status!
Rookie

Why not eat butter instead of diet margarine, and even a little cream. At least those are real foods.

M

Old 07-07-2003, 09:10 PM
JV1311 should change his/her status!
Light-Heavyweight

MEB, calories calories calories... Stupid, but it is the remnant of my diet mentality I guess.

I am definitely not too low. I was 22% at my last pro measuring, now 18% home measuring but gonna get another pro measuring tomorrow, which will probably put me at 21.5% or something (I don't look 18%, if that makes sense).

I thought about adding 15m HIIT after two of my lifting days (not legs, of course) instead, but was afraid of the too much cardio thing.
Old 07-08-2003, 12:39 AM
teletummy should change his/her status!
Middleweight

[ QUOTE ]
JV1311 said:
I am just struggling with cutting calories. I think I can make it work by making meal 6 really light in calories though...

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe a Myoplex Low Carb at 50g protein, 9g carbs plus a tbsp of flax seed oil before bedtime? I'm not sure. I'm still experimenting.
<font color="red">____________________ [ The Beauty of Symmetry and Power ] __________________</font>

Maintenance calories = 1908-2226
BMR = 1498.98
Old 07-08-2003, 09:13 AM
Debbie9999 should change his/her status!
Light-Heavyweight

You guys are terrific. Thanks for the responses and the intellegent information. Excellent question, as well.

Old 07-08-2003, 09:55 AM
Tuf should change his/her status!
Mr. Universe

[ QUOTE ]
Debbie9999 said:
I am probably going to get alot of flack for admitting my eating habits but at least you will all have something to write about.

I must eat about 10 times per day. I work at a desk, bring a cooler of stuff each day, and eat and eat all day long. For example, I work out at the crack of dawn and then have a PWO shake. About an hour later, I will have a low-fat yogurt. Then about 30-60 minutes later, I will have a hard-boiled egg white. Then 30 minutes later, another egg white. Then 60 minutes later, some cabbage. Then about 60 minutes later, one-third of a chicken breast. Then 60 minutes later, the rest of the chicken breast. Then 60 minutes later, a red pepper. Then 60 minutes later, an apple.
By now, I am starting to feel full so I can stretch out my non-eating time to almost 2 hours when I will eat another egg white and another fruit. Dinner is tuna and vegie salad, or natural peanut butter on whole wheat, or small portions of both. (I might be leaving out a fruit here or there.) I think I burn more calories eating than lifting weights [img]/forum/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img].

Deb

[/ QUOTE ]

I hope I am not taking Venom's words out of context, but if I understand him correctly, I think that eating in the manner you described could be problematic in terms of BB goals. [img]/forum/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img] The following quote is part of his critique of someone's diet, in which they had a meal consisting of a protein shake only...

[ QUOTE ]
Venom said:
If all you are having is protein before you workout that is not good! The key is to spare protein and muscle mass In a diet. You want to always have either carbs or fats along with protein every meal. Carbs are the most optimal source of energy for your body, protein is the least.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am not trying to give you flack at all, but I hope this helps! [img]/forum/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
<font color="blue">We taped a lot of famous pictures on the locker-room door: Bobby Orr, Potvin, Beliveau, all holding the Stanley Cup. We'd stand back and look at them and envision ourselves doing it. I really believe if you visualize yourself doing something, you can make that image come true...I must have rehearsed it ten thousand times. And when it came true it was like an electric jolt went up my spine.</font>
-Wayne Gretzky

http://www.rhondariley.com/009/thumbs/005.jpg
"When prepping for a show, I look at my body as my grade and the training and diet as my homework. If I do my homework I will get a good grade."
-Rhonda Riley

<font color="009999">Click Here for ABC's Forum Rules</font>
<font color="purple">Click Here for ABC's Index of Bible Studies</font>
Old 07-08-2003, 10:28 AM
Debbie9999 should change his/her status!
Light-Heavyweight

Good point. I need to work on the protein/carb/fats combinations. I will hunt around this site for info on this, I'm sure I saw it somewhere. But thanks for alerting me to the problem.

Closed Thread