BF % for definition??? - ABCbodybuilding

Go Back   ABCbodybuilding > Iron, Metal, & Steel!! > Female Specific Athletic Forum

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 07-06-2003, 08:50 PM
Pandora should change his/her status!
Stranger

Default BF % for definition???

Hi guys,

I'm curious what BF% women have to have to start seeing good muscle definition (ballpark estimate -I know it varies). I have been working out a year, but I still don't have much definition... I have a little definition in my forearms, calves, quads, and arms (only in arms when flexed though), but I still don't really look like I lift weights or anything. Admittedly, I'm coming from a VERY poor level of fitness and probably well over 30% BF and I have lost 70 pounds so there are probably skin issues too... But it does get a little discouraging sometimes. Is there any hope I can ever get rid of the batwings [img]/forum/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]? I'm working on cleaning up my diet right now, but its hard to believe I'm still *that* fat! I'm around 5'5" in height, 135-140 (give or take based on time of month / fluid intake) and I wear a size 6/8. I don't have calipers so I can't tell you my exact BF%, but I am guessing somewhere in the low twenties (22-24 % maybe). I'm just curious where I need to be aiming for in if I want a good amount of definition. Maybe a few of the veterans can give me an idea? [img]/forum/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I am coming to accept that gaining enough muscle and loosing enough fat to look "fit" is a LONG term proposition for endomorphs like me. It gets a little frustrating though...

Old 07-07-2003, 12:00 AM
mama2Six should change his/her status!
Middleweight

Default Re: BF % for definition???

I hear your frustration! We are about the same height and weight and my BF is around 18-20%. I have been called "toned" but it's hard to see muscles on me unless I am in the gym. My belly still wiggles a TON but everything else is pretty tight yet you couldn't tell I lift. IT SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!
Amy
1 Corinthians 9:24-27 Remember that in a race everyone runs, but
only one person gets the prize. You also must run in such a way that you
will win. [25] All athletes practice strict self-control. They do it to win a
prize that will fade away, but we do it for an eternal prize. [26] So I run
straight to the goal with purpose in every step. I am not like a boxer who
misses his punches. [27] I discipline my body like an athlete, training it to
do what it should. Otherwise, I fear that after preaching to others I myself
might be disqualified.

Old 07-07-2003, 12:33 AM
kiwi girl 1 should change his/her status!
Light-Heavyweight

When I first got my bf tested (18 month ago), I thought was pretty fit, but was surprised to learn I was 30% bf. Infact it was quite an eye openner for me.

Since then, I have worked hard through exercise and diet (looking at the P/C/F mix) to reduce it.

Currently I am at 22%.

I have found that my arms toned up first - so lost the flabbiness, and they look okay ...and my caliper test shows they are pretty good - low bf there now.

Most of my fat is sitting around my waist and back. Can't see the back but I can see my tummy ...yep it wobbies ...when I breathe in I know I have a good 6 pack behind that layer of covering ! So have still work to do there.

Not sure if that helps !

You could also click on the ABC members photos on Sicily1962 who has recently posted. I think she is currently at 15% bf - naturally she is pretty muscly as she is soon to compete in a BB competition - but it may give you some ideas.

Hope this helps.

In the meantime ...keep at it and don't get discouraged !
Old 07-07-2003, 01:42 AM
enderwigginout should change his/her status!
Heavyweight

Ahhhh...mama2six...say it ain't so! [img]/forum/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

18-20% is my goal...I was hoping my tummy would be firm and tight if I reached that... [img]/forum/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Oh well...I need to worry about getting to 22% first, then I can worry about 20%, then I can worry about 18%, and then I can go from there, right?
Old 07-07-2003, 10:25 AM
Libby2 should change his/her status!
Lightweight

Well...then again I'm at 15.74%, and I have good ab definition in the mornings. Sicicly's pics are amazing...and truly the show that the amount of muscle you carry and b.f% are important for definiton...for she has more muscle mass than I but we are macro's different in b.f composition...also keep in mind if they are comp. pics then her b.f will be even lower than 15%. Krypto says that for herself, she does well at 15-18%...and she looks terrific as well!! It's one of those things that are different from person to person I think, and what's 'good enough' for each individual's taste as well.
Just keep wittling away, one day at a time, and before you know it you'll be there nad designing new goals all-together!! [img]/forum/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] [img]/forum/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] [img]/forum/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 07-07-2003, 01:50 PM
Pandora should change his/her status!
Stranger

Yeah, Krypto and Sicily look really good in the 16-18% range. Of course, they are also carrying quite a bit of muscle mass... I'm sure that is a big factor too in addition to having a low BF.

Mama2Six, yup it SUCKS... misery loves company though, lol [img]/forum/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] If you are 18-20% and still not seeing a lot of definition then I guess I shouldn't expect to see much in the low twenties at all. Its just that after a year of lifting, I thought I'd be seeing more... I know it also depends a lot on how *much* muscle you are carrying and considering I started in the absolute worst shape imaginable and didn't even start lifting till I'd lost 50 pounds I probably didn't have much muscle to start with. I honestly had no idea how long developing muscle for women takes. I kinda hoped when I started lifting that I'd be an easy muscle gainer, but now I'm resolutely convinced that I'm no better at gaining muscle than average, purly an endomorph too which makes it even worse [img]/forum/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img] I'm not giving up, however... After all, what is the alternative? Becoming a fat blob again? No thanks! Maybe in 5 years I'll have something to show for my hard work. It just kinda sucks to work out for a year and still not look any more "fit" than "average jane" on the street. Oh well... Just gotta keep on working at it.

Thanks for the replies [img]/forum/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-07-2003, 02:08 PM
Heavyweight

Can some of you post your LBMs as well?

For instance my LBM is 100lbs right now...I'm just wondering what ballpark I can expect from a bf of 18-20% at that LBM...of course I know, everyone is different...YMMV. [img]/forum/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-07-2003, 03:14 PM
Middleweight

At 141 pounds I was 18% so my LBM is around 116 and I am 5'6. A little chubbier now though but not far off. I swear I don't get it. All my life I have weighed a lot, people always told me I look smaller than what I weigh. I always assumed it was muscle but I don't see it! I had my BF% tested at home by hubby first and thought it HAD to be WAY off when he got 18% but then had the trainer at my gym do it (both 7 point calliper) and he got 17.45 or something like that. Go figure!
Amy
might be disqualified.

Old 07-07-2003, 03:16 PM
Middleweight

Enderwiggin -
So many factors go into this - you may look way different than me at 18%. I carry most of my fat in my belly too so that's why mine is so bad. I love my kids but they recked my belly :-(
Amy
might be disqualified.

Old 07-07-2003, 04:06 PM
Heavyweight

Ah...true. I didn't think about that. The highest my weight has been in the last nine years is 140 (and that was recently when I was adding in muscle). I've also never had kids or been pregnant and I don't want a six pack (just the two lines down the side). So those count in my favor I guess. [img]/forum/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

It's just that I'm starting to wonder, ya know? I'm loosing weight but my measurements aren't really budging that much. But my body composition is changing somewhat (for instance, I think weight is coming off my hips somewhat, but I'm gaining muscle in my butt so my hip measurement hasn't decreased that much). Fat still isn't coming off my torso as much as I'd like and I'm getting worried that maybe it won't! Maybe my bf will be low but I'll still have all this chub on my tummy...AHHHHH... [img]/forum/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] [img]/forum/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I feel like I have all this fat hanging out but I only have about 7-8 pounds of fat to loose until I reach 18%. It seems like that number should be higher...

And of course I've been really bloaty for the last week or so and I hope it means I'm going to get my period soon (though it seems a bit early). I'm cursed with being extremely bloated for up to two weeks before I start, but then after a few days I'm fine again. I hope its soon because I want to take my bf measurements again (in the next week to ten days), but its pointless if my weight is 5+ pounds over due to water weight (and its 5 pounds over my 6/22 weight so its not in my head). ACK.
Closed Thread