Two minds about my back day - ABCbodybuilding

Go Back   ABCbodybuilding > Iron, Metal, & Steel!! > Female Specific Athletic Forum

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 07-04-2003, 11:23 AM
teletummy should change his/her status!
Middleweight

Default Two minds about my back day

I didn't manage to get to the gym today after all. Downpour. [img]/forum/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] In any case, [img]/forum/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]nothing's stoppin me. For the first time, I attempted the heaviest deadlift I tried at 82.5lbs. I was delighted! But I'm 2 minds abt my back day today. I'll post it and tell u why:

Deadlift

Overhand grip
80x10
82.5x8
82.5x10
82.5x7

Rest, take water, all 3 mins.

Underhand grip
82.5x13
82.5x10
82.5x7
82.5x6 (By now my fingers gave way and I could no longer do more reps only because of the fingers.)

1 min rest

77x12
77x9.5 (failed upon half rep towards 10)

1 min rest

Really slow reps
71.5x8
71.5x6
71.5x4

That's the end of the deadlift session. I'm glad I've broke through my weight barrier. I previously lifted max 44lbs. Now I've got my new two 22lbs plate, I uuuuused them. [img]/forum/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] But the problem is I thought with descending sets, the number of reps should increase as weights drop. As you can see, they have decreased. Does it mean over 80lbs is too much for me? I'm somewhat confused. Can you critique please?

Next, the T-bar rows for the middle back. First time. Wow.

44x10
44x9
44x6
44x5

Rest 1 min

41.25x8
41.25x8
41.25x8

After the T-bar rows, my posture felt like tummy in, butt out, chest out, shoulders back. Excellent. I felt a kind of tension never felt before on middle back as I held up the bar.

Please feel free to critique this session. [img]/forum/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
<font color="red">____________________ [ The Beauty of Symmetry and Power ] __________________</font>

Maintenance calories = 1908-2226
BMR = 1498.98
Old 07-04-2003, 11:52 AM
DarkLotus should change his/her status!
Lightweight

Default Re: Two minds about my back day

Congrats to you for getting to 82.5 [img]/forum/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Have you tried an alternating grip while deadlifting? I find this to be the best way to keep a good grip on the barbell. Plus you have more control.

I tried doing reverse pyramiding for DL a few weeks ago, I started at max and decreased the weight by 10 lbs each set, and increased the # of reps, I prefer plain old pyramiding for DL. I screwed up by forgetting to do a few warmup sets. I don't think 80# is too much for you, I think you just need to keep lowering the weight a little more as you go. This is just my two cents. I'm still learning too. [img]/forum/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 07-04-2003, 12:04 PM
should change his/her status! Edit

[ QUOTE ]
But the problem is I thought with descending sets, the number of reps should increase as weights drop. As you can see, they have decreased.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not necessarily. That is what you strive for but it doesn't always happen. That happens to me often. I decrease the weight in order to stay in the proper rep range but I STILL only manage to get out the same number of reps I did the previous, heavier set. So it appears to be something normal, I know it is for me. Put it this way, as long as you are pushing your muscles to failure each time then you are doing what you need to do. If you need to keep dropping the weight in order to stay in the 6-12 rep range that's fine and it doesn't matter if you keep only being able to get out 6 reps even when you keep dropping the weight. The important thing is that you are going to failure each time.

It seems to happen to me a lot with shoulders. I'll drop the weight but STILL only be able to get out 6 or 7 reps each time. I'll KEEP dropping the weight and STILL, only 6-7 reps until I get to a really light weight.

And now some questions for you.

I'm confused here, when you listed your sets/reps, like I see 4 sets in a row but then later I see "1 min rest" are you telling me that you did 4 sets in a row with no rest? In which case then those aren't really sets. A set is doing X number of reps then taking a break. An exception is drop sets, where you would start with X amount of weight for X reps then DROP (decrease) the weight and go at it again with no break. Or when you do a set of one exercise then jump to another exercise right away with no break, a superset or compound set.

Next question, so you're doing 13 sets of deadlifts alone?!! [img]/forum/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img] That's an awful lot! Geez, I only do 12 sets TOTAL for my back. Like, I'll do 3 sets of wide grip pullups, 3 sets of parallel grip pullups, 3 sets of cable rows, and 3 sets of pullovers. You did 13 sets of JUST deadlifts! Then you did 7 MORE sets of T-bar rows for a total of 20 sets! [img]/forum/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img] I mean that's fine if that works for you and you like it but if it were me and I was gonna do 20 sets, I'd at least want to do more than just 2 different exercises. Know what I mean?

Other than that, looks like you're doing just fine, working PLENTY hard, that's for sure! [img]/forum/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 07-04-2003, 12:05 PM
Middleweight

Hi DarkLotus! Yes, an alternating grip does make sense. I have to try that next time or I'll lose out cos of the grip. I'll keep in mind the 10lbs diff too. Thanks!
<font color="red">____________________ [ The Beauty of Symmetry and Power ] __________________</font>

BMR = 1498.98
Old 07-04-2003, 12:19 PM
Middleweight

hmmm, so whatever makes for failure. The imptce of failure comes in yet again.

Lol! Nope, not no rest. Abt 30 secs of rest. Lol! Sorry, I do get confused abt sets.

Yep 13 sets! What can I say, I'm an eager bunny. [img]/forum/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] I was keen to try out what I can do with deadlifts with a much greater amount of weights today. Yeah I know whatcha mean about more than 2 types of exercises. I'll have to factor that in in future for sure. (Actually, first time tryin T-bar I must say I was carried away cos I liked it so much. [img]/forum/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] By then, there's not much time left.)

Thanks for the advice Krypto! [img]/forum/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

BMR = 1498.98
Old 07-04-2003, 12:25 PM

Yeah, I know what ya mean by getting carried away! I love T-bar rows too, they've always been one of my favorite back exercises. [img]/forum/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Another one of my favorites are the machine pullovers, oh my gosh, if you haven't tried them yet, you should! Those things will make you feel like you don't have an UNSORE muscle left on your body! Those things make me sore from my waist all the way up to even the sides of my neck! [img]/forum/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img] They are a really good exercise for sure!
Old 07-04-2003, 12:28 PM
Middleweight

Is that the one where you sit down and pull like you're rowing a boat? Ahh yes I see whatcha mean, saw it in the Exercise page. There's this workout I did today, not the machine but before I even did the deadlifts. I actually forgot abt it. It's the lying barbell pullover where the barbell goes over the head and all. Great for lats. But I was cautious cos I pulled a ligament the other time using the overhand grip. This time I used the underhand grip. Which reminds me, I have a Q on that. I'll post it in a new thread. Sigh, I really have to get back to the gym for variety.

BMR = 1498.98
Old 07-04-2003, 12:45 PM

Nah, like this:

Only the one in my gym isn't at an angle like that, the bench is completely vertical.
Old 07-04-2003, 12:49 PM
Middleweight

This looks interesting. I don't remember seeing it at the gym I just signed up. I'll go in n hunt for something like that tomorrow. It looks like it could do something dangerous. Thanks for the pics!

BMR = 1498.98
Old 07-04-2003, 11:54 PM
Middleweight

I'm so gleeful abt it I just wanted to share my DOMS with u ladies. My middle back is satisfactorily sore. My lower back is hell-sore! I sit on a low back chair and when I lean n stretch backwards, ohhhhhhhhhh........ you can imagine. [img]/forum/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

BMR = 1498.98
Closed Thread