Meal Planning..... - ABCbodybuilding

Go Back   ABCbodybuilding > Iron, Metal, & Steel!! > Female Specific Athletic Forum

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 07-03-2003, 05:15 PM
Libby2 should change his/her status!
Lightweight

Default Meal Planning.....

There are a couple of days out of my work week that I am unable to get all of my meals in....the best I can do on these days seems to be 4 meals at best. However, calories are still high, meals are just bigger. I was wondering if this is might be problematic in the long run for b.f management, or will somehow my metabolism adjust to missing a meal time, maybe burn more fat ( wishfully thinking [img]/forum/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img])?
Old 07-03-2003, 05:23 PM
JV1311 should change his/her status!
Light-Heavyweight

Default Re: Meal Planning.....

If you do 4 meals a day once in a while, it might help because of that old theory of "confusing the body", like we do with calorie/carb cycling, cheat meals, etc. But overall, sticking to a schedule of 6 meals most days is more helpful.

Can you try 4 meals and 2 snacks? When I can't have a real meal I have half a protein bar, it is better than nothing and I can eat it in 3 bites.
Old 07-03-2003, 09:58 PM
Lightweight

Ya, I'm gonna have to figure something out. As for protein bars, I really don't like to rely too heavily on them. As it stands now..I already will have a shake first thing in the morning, or as my 2nd meal of day, another after training and every so often a bar. My new workplace is not conducive to being able to eat...we don't even have a staff room. My job is that in which I cannot eat while I work...I'm a hairstylist. My boss would kick me out if I would eat in front of a client, lol! Anyways, I wondered if maybe keeping the caloric intake the same and macros etc, but making the meals a little larger to make-up 4 bigger ones,,if this might work? So far I've not hit a wall, but have come close because meal two has now turned into my lunchtime meal, instead of my 10:00am meal lunch doesn't end up happening if I am booked up, so I sometimes won't end up eating meal 3 until dinner time and then there's only time for one more after that before going to bed...hrmph! Luckily, it is only 1-2 days out of the whole week that are like that, but itmakes me angry nonehteless that I'm trying to keep up....I'll monitor b.f make sure that things aren't turning against me...if so...I'm noit to sure how I'll deal with it....maybe get my doctor to write a note saying that I have blood sugar issues and need to eat every 3hrs...it's a thought. [img]/forum/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 07-03-2003, 10:27 PM
should change his/her status! Edit

I feel for ya Libby2, I really do, I understand that dilemma. I have often thought about that as I've been looking for a job, how I'm gonna tell my potential employer that I MUST eat every 3 hours. I was thinking about telling him/her the low blood sugar thing cause many times it IS true with me, if I go TOO LONG without eating I feel like crap and have gotten dizzy in the past. At my last job I ended up feeling VERY crappy and I was VERY grouchy when I got hung up at the skate rental counter, we were so busy I couldn't stop to eat and it ended up being 5 hours til I got to eat, needless to say I was NOT a happy camper! [img]/forum/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img] So seriously I am going to bring that issue up when I finally get a call for a job interview. I'm SO used to eating every 3 hours that if I don't I get really annoyed. That is exactly why it is my plan to eventually have my own personal training business so that I will have control over my own schedule so I will be able to schedule clients around my feeding times. [img]/forum/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] It would be the perfect job for me, doing what I love while being able to stay in the shape I want to stay in. [img]/forum/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

Sorry I really don't have any advice for you, I've heard this same dilemma from people I've advised time and time again. Society just needs to change!
Old 07-04-2003, 09:22 AM
JV1311 should change his/her status!
Light-Heavyweight

When I was teaching full-time, I'd often stuff myself with half a bar or a protein muffin in the bathroom cause I didn't have a break for a proper meal.

Anyway, if you wanna bake some of these, they are excellent. I used to keep them frozen and pack one to work in the morning. By the time I ate them, they'd thawed completely.

1 cup oats
1/4 cup whole wheat flour
5 scoops casein or blended protein (my casein doesn't have a scoop so I use my whey scoop to measure it)
4 packets splenda (if your protein is not sweetened)
3 egg whites, beaten until stiff
1 tbsp canola oil
1 cup applesauce
Cinammon to taste

Mix everything but the egg whites, then fold into the egg whites carefully. Bake on muffin tins lined with paper muffin cups, or sprayed with cooking spray.

The nutrition stats change depending on the protein you use and the size muffin you make, but for my brand of casein, 11 large muffins, they are:

97 cals
2.5g fat
10g carb
9g protein

Old 07-04-2003, 09:42 AM
Lightweight

Thanks JV...I'll try making some of those this weekend. sounds like a tasty recipe too!!

That's exactly how I picture myself doing things too...gorging myself in the washroom!! It was funny the other day, I was sitting at a table out in the mall, and my boss comes out and sits with me. I was drinking a protein shake, and he asks what I was having. After my telling him, he informs me that he's starting a week-long watermelon fast!! I thought to myself how's this guy gonna understand my need to eat when he see's 'fasting' as a form of cleansing 'impurities' from the system...hell just drink lots of water (and continue to eat, of course) and it'll do the same thing! Different planets.....But this muffin idea sounds like a good one, and of course the bars and shakes.
So far though, even after my wild lack of diet, and irregular eating times, I'm still building muscle and seem to have more definition...so...just gonna keep track on all, and try adding quick little things to eat here and there.
Old 07-05-2003, 06:12 PM
mdr should change his/her status!
Rookie

this is a great post...i'm definitely needing the same advice, come fall...starting to teach again--i'll be spoiled this summer, can plan and eat my meals pretty easily, but once i start teaching "bathroom gorge" wow, doesn't that flag "ED" (from the past) but now it's to GET in the calories that used to be shuned...just seems so weird-yet GREAT [img]/forum/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] i'm going to try these muffins...I"M EXCITED, and so greatful...i was getting a little worried for the school year--will have to plan VERY carefully...are there any recipes for protein bars too? i was told to take out my protein bars...might not be good for my fat-loss goals at the time....suggestions?
Old 07-05-2003, 07:47 PM
Lightweight

Ya, I know...mdr, I've heard the same things about the bars, but in a pinch, what else can you do??? I read somewhere that medically speaking, it's safe to eat protein bars, shakes, etc just so long as it isn't more than 50% of your daily protein requirement...so given that, I've always had a bar every day as one of my mid afternoon snacks (in between lunch and dinner), and my b.f is at around 15.74%.
Check this one out...I got it form the recipe forum and have tweeked to suit me...you can do the same....I also ran a thread about a month or 2 back on it as well if you want to search it out....many of the girls gave their versions and ideas as well.
1c Natural Peanut Butter
8tbsp honey ( I use Splenda, 1tbsp)
1&1/4c uncooked oatmeal
(if not using honey, you'll need some moisture to mixture....I use 8tbsp of strong brewed green tea)

~~Mix the pb and honey (or tea) in a bowl, microwave on high for 80 secs (time vaaries depending on microwave strength). Add the rest and mix together with hands...can add raisins/nuts to tasted. smooth into 13x9 tray and leave for 20 mins. Cut into equal bars and wrap and store in fridge.

These are pretty good, for homemade...not the nicest looking stuff, but gets the job done, and that's all that counts!!

Let me know what you think...
Old 07-07-2003, 03:04 PM
mdr should change his/her status!
Rookie

thanks libby, i'll try them and figure out the ratios....do you know them off hand?
Closed Thread