Six Questions before starting(Post-Its) - ABCbodybuilding

Go Back   ABCbodybuilding > Iron, Metal, & Steel!! > Female Specific Athletic Forum

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 07-03-2003, 02:47 PM
Misslili should change his/her status!
Stranger

Default Six Questions before starting(Post-Its)

I just finished reading the 4 post-it notes for beginners on the women's discussion board and have a few questions.

(1) Flax seed oil vs udos oil: After reading the article on fat the author states that by using only flaxseed oil which only contains omega 3 you'll become deficient in omega 6's. Is it truly best to buy the Udos Choice blend? What other ways can I get the blend of Omega 3's and 6's I need from using only food? Are there any other oils such as safflower or olive oil that will do the job? I'm on a budget and the Udos oil may become pricey. Isn't flaxseed oil sufficient to start?

(2) Cutting and Training: *********** gave a lot of helpful information in this post-it. It was suggested that working 2 bodyparts per session is best. I've often seen professional bodybuilders follow this type of regime, but I'd like to know if this is advisable for me considering I'm a beginner who needs to lose over 100 pounds? I've always thought I would have to work each body part every other day or at least every two days.

(3) I have a sedentary job and literally sit 8-10 hours during the day. Will I still see timely results by only doing 30-45 minutes of HIIT cardio and recommended weight training daily?

(4) What is the opinion of everyone on ephedra free hydroxycut? My first mind tells me to only transfrom my body using exercise, good fats, adequate sleep, water, and healthy eating. But so many people rave about their fat loss results on Hydroxy.

(5) One of the articles mentioned that fresh air and sunlight is important to transforming your body? If so, how much is enough to make a difference? Since gaining a lot of weight my days consist of indoor work, indoor college classes, and soon indoor workouts. With the above schedule I rarely spend time outdoors, and when I have the chance I avoid it especially during the summers.(someone 100 lbs overweight may understand what I mean).

(6) Last but not least, should I be eating 1 gram of protein per pound of my total weight or only my lean weight? Doesn't make sense to feed 100 lbs of fat that just sits there. Also, how does everyone feel about starting with a good herbal or colon cleanser? Will that make a difference or will my body automatically balance and cleanse itself once I start eating correctly and exercising?

Thanks Lili

p.s. Are there any articles or post-its on training your mind for success. I feel that is 90% of my challenge.
Old 07-03-2003, 03:12 PM
JV1311 should change his/her status!
Light-Heavyweight

Default Re: Six Questions before starting(Post-Its)

1 - you don't need to buy Udo's oil. You can buy flaxseed oil, or even buy flaxseeds and grind your own flaxmeal. You are gonna complement the flax oil/meal with canola oil, olive oil, and fatty fish such as salmon and fresh tuna.

2 - starting with one body part a week is good for anyone, although if you are not doing a high volume of exercises (high volume: more than 3 exercises per muscle), you can do 3 or even 4 muscle groups per session. My current split is:

Monday: 45m spinning
Tuesday: Back, biceps, shoulders (3 exercises each)
Wednesday: 30m HIIT
Thursday: Chest, triceps (3 exercises each) and abs (4-5 exercises)
Friday: 45m spinning
Saturday: quads (3 exercises), hamstrings (2 exercises), calves (2 exercises), glutes (2 exercises)

I made the same mistake, of thinking I had to work each part every other day cause I was a beginner with over 100lb to lose and all it did was waste me a ton of time. I spent months without being able to increase a single lift because I wasn't giving my muscles time to grow.

3 - I recommend weights 3x a week, cardio 3x a week, and yes, you will see results. 90% of results come from a good diet, that is much more important than tons of cardio.

4 - I am not against ECA or CA stacks, but save those for when you hit a plateau, if you ever do. Think of them as the secret weapon you will go to when a super clean diet and a great workout schedule are not giving you results anymore. The reason for that is they lose effectiveness after a while and they are expensive, and in the beginning you are gonna get wonderful results without them, so save your money. Also, if you are not used to knowing your heart rate, which is fundamental for effective HIIT, they will screw it up (you will do almost no effort and will be at 75% of your max easily).

5 - I don't really go outdoors and I still lost 109lb and went from 48% to 18% body fat, so us indoors pasty people can still transform our bodies just the same. For health reasons, the amount of sunlight you need is equivalent to sitting next to a closed with no curtains for 5m, or exposing your pinky to direct sunlight for 2m a day, that is what you need for Vitamin D synthesis.

6 - I think unless you have digestive/instestinal problems, like irregularity, the colon cleanser will do nothing for you but dehydrate you and give you a false impression of weight loss.

Hope that helped! [img]/forum/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-03-2003, 03:29 PM
Mrs_Centricity should change his/her status!

[ QUOTE ]

(1) Flax seed oil vs udos oil: After reading the article on fat the author states that by using only flaxseed oil which only contains omega 3 you'll become deficient in omega 6's. Is it truly best to buy the Udos Choice blend? What other ways can I get the blend of Omega 3's and 6's I need from using only food? Are there any other oils such as safflower or olive oil that will do the job? I'm on a budget and the Udos oil may become pricey. Isn't flaxseed oil sufficient to start?

[/ QUOTE ]

Udo's contains many fillers that your body does not need to process. An excellent source of both omega 3 & 6 is from hemp oil. Although this can be very expensive as well. Since budget seems to be a concern I would use Flax oil until 1 bottle is finished then switch to Borage or Evening Primrose oil for the next bottle, therefor cycling your 3 & 6 intake.

[ QUOTE ]
(2) Cutting and Training: *********** gave a lot of helpful information in this post-it. It was suggested that working 2 bodyparts per session is best. I've often seen professional bodybuilders follow this type of regime, but I'd like to know if this is advisable for me considering I'm a beginner who needs to lose over 100 pounds? I've always thought I would have to work each body part every other day or at least every two days.

[/ QUOTE ]

You should train 2 body parts per session. There is a reason why you see a lot of body builders training this way. It's because it works!
[ QUOTE ]
(3) I have a sedentary job and literally sit 8-10 hours during the day. Will I still see timely results by only doing 30-45 minutes of HIIT cardio and recommended weight training daily?

[/ QUOTE ]

Most of do have sedentary jobs, but yes this is all you need. Without going into a long drawn out explination it is the best way to train especially when time is a factor.

[ QUOTE ]
(4) What is the opinion of everyone on ephedra free hydroxycut? My first mind tells me to only transfrom my body using exercise, good fats, adequate sleep, water, and healthy eating. But so many people rave about their fat loss results on Hydroxy.

[/ QUOTE ]
Your intuition is right on with this one, use the nturtion and exercise first. Not to sound insensitive but at the beginging of this process you baody is being incredibly taxed. Asking to work in a way you have never asked before, it will be working overtime to deal with that. The last thing you want to do right now is add a supplemnt that your body may not be able to handle. Besides it's not how fast you get there but that you get there.
[ QUOTE ]
(5) One of the articles mentioned that fresh air and sunlight is important to transforming your body? If so, how much is enough to make a difference? Since gaining a lot of weight my days consist of indoor work, indoor college classes, and soon indoor workouts. With the above schedule I rarely spend time outdoors, and when I have the chance I avoid it especially during the summers.(someone 100 lbs overweight may understand what I mean).

[/ QUOTE ]
Make the time. This is one of my favourite sayings but it is true. You are already making time for exercise, which is something that most people can't do. You can make time for this. Even it means eating your lunch outside at work.
[ QUOTE ]
6) Last but not least, should I be eating 1 gram of protein per pound of my total weight or only my lean weight? Doesn't make sense to feed 100 lbs of fat that just sits there. Also, how does everyone feel about starting with a good herbal or colon cleanser? Will that make a difference or will my body automatically balance and cleanse itself once I start eating correctly and exercising?

[/ QUOTE ]

Although i can't remeber why right now, yes you need to eat 1g of protein for your weight. I'm sure there is someone out there who can remeber why and clarify this for me. As for a good colon cleanser. STAY AWAY. what any type of cleansing does is flush your body of electrolytes. You know those little things that keep our whole body functioning properly. When you body has an electolyte imbalance, you will have dizzy spells, lightheadedness, black outs, you may even have to be hospitalized and given electrolytes intravenously. As i said STAY AWAY!!!
Old 07-03-2003, 03:34 PM
enderwigginout should change his/her status!
Heavyweight

JV has given you some very good advice and she has lost tons so she's a good person to listen to!

I just want to reinforce some things she said and remind you to TAKE IT SLOWLY. Don't worry about diving in headfirst cuz it might be too shocking and you'll just get no where fast (with lots of splashing) [img]/forum/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] .

I advice you to try the 12 week weight lifting program and diet. Work on separating your meals into six meals a day and being trying to eat the right things at the right time. Make sure you are eating ENOUGH. Figure out your preferred cutting ratio and work on hitting it just right everyday (cals, carbs, AND fats).

Cardio is a stickier issue. I would advise you to do what JV says simply because she has more experience with vast amounts of weight loss. However, for what it's worth, I would advise against 3xper week at first. Follow the six day split in the 12 week program. I think its something like:
Day 1--chest/shoulders/tri
Day 2--cardio/abs
Day 3--back/biceps
Day 4--cardio/abs
Day 5--legs
Day 6--rest
repeat cycle beginning on day 7

The reason I advise to limit your cardio to 2x a week for now is threefold. First, the lower the number of workouts per week (especially cardio) the more likely you are to stick with your plan to the end. What's the point of going hot and heavy if you falter after a few weeks and abandon the whole thing? It's better to start too small than too big, ya know? Second, doing a lower amount of cardio now means you have somewhere to go once your weight loss plateaus. Say you've lost 20 pounds doing cardio three times a week doing HIIT for 30-45 minutes but you stop loosing weight. Then you have to increase this amount by adding an extra cardio session or a longer interval. Your body wants to hold the fat stores so it will try to adapt to what you are doing to it. Let it adapt to a smaller amount and then you'll have more tricks up your sleeve. You will loose weight, you just have to give yourself time. Last (but not least), you want to stay healthy. Launching yourself into a strict diet and exercise plan is tough on your body. Not only that, but loosing weight too quickly is very rough on your heart. You want to try to loose no more than 2 pounds per week, although you may loose a bit faster right at first.

As a side note, you don't really want to do HIIT over 30 minutes. Aim for 20-30 minutes (and some people at first can't complete more than 8-12 minutes when they begin. Not only is it hard on your body, but when you go above 30 minutes in any cardio your body begins to turn catabolic and you loose muscle as well.

So, I guess what I'm trying to say is that (and I hope this doesn't sound rude) it took you a long time to get in the position of needing to loose 100 pounds. It will take a long time and a long commitment to loose the weight in a healthy manner. You don't want to blow your bag of tricks in one fell swoop (carb cycling, extra cardio, and so on). Aim for smaller, gradual changes and I think you'll loose the weight and rev up your metabolism in a more constant, healthy manner.

But, then again, as I stated before I have never lost a hundred pounds! JV has experience so she (and some of the other wonderful ladies on the board) can help you out much better than I can. [img]/forum/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-03-2003, 04:25 PM
Light-Heavyweight

Thanks, ender.

About the 1g per pound of weight, you don't really need it if you know your Lean Body Mass. Say you are 230lb with 48%bf (those are my starting stats, just for example). My LBM was 120lb, so I needed 180g protein a day. But you are really gonna go by percentages: if you are going to eat 2,000 calories a day, you need from 33% to 40% of those cals from protein, so that would be 165g to 200g protein depending on which macro split you choose to use.
Old 07-03-2003, 05:11 PM
Stranger

Thank you JV, Mrs_Centricity, and enderwigginout for all the answers and advice. I feel as if I'm ready to begin now. The only thing left for me to do is plan my meals before shopping and select the exercises for each body part. Wish me luck...I'll need it. LOL [img]/forum/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-03-2003, 05:14 PM
Stranger

Hi JV, can you elaborate on how you determined your starting protein requirements would be 180grams? Is there a formula to figure that out? Your beginning stats are similar to mine. I'm planning to have my fat tested with calipers but thinking of only using a tape measure to start.(self conscious about letting someone use calipers on me right now)

Lili
Old 07-03-2003, 05:33 PM
Light-Heavyweight

Sure, ladyschaumburg.

First on the shopping - print this out to take with you:

Here are some good choices for foods to eat, conducive to burning fat and/or staying lean. If the food you are eating is not on this list, I would question it.

PROTEINS

Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breast
Tuna (water packed)
Fish (salmon, seabass, halibut)
Shrimp
Extra Lean Ground Beef or Ground Round (92-96%)
Venison
Buffalo
Ostrich
Protein Powder
Egg Whites or Eggs
Ribeye Steaks or Roast
Top Round Steaks or Roast (aka Stew Meat, London Broil, Stir Fry)
Top Sirloin (aka Sirloin Top Butt)
Beef Tenderloin (aka Filet, Filet Mignon)
Top Loin (NY Strip Steak)
Flank Steak (Sir Fry, Fajita)
Eye of Round (Cube Meat, Stew Meat, Bottom Round , 96% LeandGround Round)
Ground turkey, Turkey Breast Slices or cutlets (fresh meat, not deli cuts)

COMPLEX CARBS

Oatmeal (Old Fashioned or Quick Oats)
Sweet Potatoes (Yams)
Beans (pinto, black, kidney)
Oat Bran Cereal
Rye Cereal
Brown Rice
Farina (Cream of Wheat)
Multigrain Hot Cereal
Whole wheat or Spinach Pasta
100% Stoneground Whole Wheat Bread

FIBROUS CARBS

Green Leafy Lettuce (Green Leaf, Red, Leaf, Romaine)
Broccoli
Asparagus
String Beans
Okra
Spinach
Bell Peppers
Brussels Sprouts
Cauliflower
Cabbage
Celery
Cucumber
Eggplant
Green or Red Pepper
Onions
Pumpkin
Garlic
Tomatoes
Zucchini

FRUIT

apples, grapefruit, peaches, strawberries, blueberries, raspberries
Lemons or Limes

HEALTHY FATS

Natural Style Peanut Butter
Olive Oil or Safflower Oil
Nuts (peanuts, almonds
Flaxseed Oil

DAIRY AND EGGS

Low-fat cottage cheese
Eggs
Bottled Water
Diet Soda
Crystal Light

CONDIMENTS & SPICES

Mayonnaise
Reduced Sodium Soy Sauce
Reduced Sodium Teriyaki Sauce
Balsamic Vinegar
Salsa
Hot Peppers and Hot Sauce
Chili powder
Mrs. Dash
Steak Sauce
Sugar Free Maple Syrup
Chili Paste
Mustard
Extracts (vanilla, almond, etc )
Low Sodium beef or chicken broth
Plain or reduced sodium tomatoes sauce, puree, paste)
Stevia (natural sweetener)

Now, on to the protein. Once you know your body fat percentage, subtract that number from 100 (for example: 48% bf: 100 - 48 = 52). That means you are 52% lean body mass. So take your weight and multiply it by .52 (Example: 230* .52 = 119.6). That means you have 119.6lb of LBM on your body. Then multiply it by 1.5 and you will have the number of grams protein you need a day, which in this case is approximately 180g.

To figure out grams protein from a macro split, say 40% protein, 30% carb, 30% fat, you get your calorie goal. Let's say 2,000 calories. Multiply 2,000 by .4 to know the number of cals from protein (2,000* .4 = 800 cals). Each gram protein is 4 calories, so divide 800 by 4 (800/4 = 200g), so you need 200g protein a day.

To find out the carb, each gram carb is also 4 calories, so divide by 4. And for the fat, each gram fat is 9 calories, so divide by 9.

You can do it! And don't be self-conscious, remember that trainers are pros just like doctors and they are not shocked or judgemental.
Old 07-04-2003, 12:04 AM
MEB should change his/her status!
Rookie

I would also add that you really need to drink your water. The combination of good fats, fibrous carbs and keeping your body hydrated will most definitely keep your colon clean. Plus your skin will look great.

M

Old 07-04-2003, 12:43 AM
should change his/her status! Edit

Great advice ladies!

I can honestly say I have nothing to add, you ladies covered it all! Kewl! [img]/forum/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

So all I can say now is I wish you great success in reaching your fitness goals ladyschaumburg! And we'll all be here to help and support you on your journey! [img]/forum/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Closed Thread