Right then- gimme some numbers... - ABCbodybuilding

Go Back   ABCbodybuilding > Iron, Metal, & Steel!! > Female Specific Athletic Forum

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 07-03-2003, 12:45 PM
should change his/her status! Edit

Default Right then- gimme some numbers...

Thanks for all your feedback on my journal guys, I have had a think about i and have posted a little action plan up there.

My next problem is calories. Can't live with 'em, can't live without 'em. Can't work out what I should be aiming for.

I am a little girly, currently weighing anywhere between 125 and 135lbs depending on the day, weather, cycle of the moon, migratory patterns of water buffalo etc etc, 5 ft tall. I have no idea of my BF% but I think it's probably 20-22% as it was about 25 last year and I definitely have more LBM since then.

According to the calculators, my basal metabolic rate is roughly 1200-1300 cals per day. On my new strategy I will be doing either 45 mins HIIT, 1 hr lifting or both per day, 6 days per week.

I cycle to work and to the gym (approx 10 minutes per journey) and my job is a mix of sitting on my arse and walking around.

Soooo... gimme some numbers. Should I start at 2000 cals per day? Or less? Or more?
My aim is definitely to lose fat. I am happy with my muscle right now.
Alos, any sample diet ideas that would add up to this would be good.
And also I can't stand shakes so please don't suggest them!

Thanks so much for any advice guys- you're all stars.
I really want to crack this problem as at the moment I feel I'm just getting fatter ad fatter despite all my super-hard work [img]/forum/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 07-03-2003, 01:11 PM
Cherie should change his/her status!
Middleweight

Default Re: Right then- gimme some numbers...

I use this from the 13 week diet under the nutrition tab, there are 2 other formulas as well.
"
Method II - This is a method that calculates your basal metabolic rate, based on your height, weight and age. You expend energy no matter what you are doing, even when sleeping. Thus your Basal Metabolic Rate is the number of calories you'd burn if you stayed in bed all day - that's my kind of day!

Women: 661 + (4.38 x weight in pounds) + (4.33 x height in inches) - (4.7 x age) = BMR
Men: 67 + (6.24 x weight in pounds) + (12.7 x height in inches) - (6.9 x age)= BMR

Lets take a 200 pound male who is 22 and is 5-10.

67 + (6.24 x 200) + (12.7 x 70) - (6.9 x 22) - ( 6.9 x 22 ) = 1986

Next you need to calculate your activity level for the day by multiplying your BMR x's the following number that suites you.

1.2-1.3 = Very Light

1.5 for Moderate -

1.6-1.7 for Heavy -

1.8-2.1 for Insanely Rigorous -

If his energy expenditure is moderate than I would multiply 1986 by 1.5 and get 2,979 calories to maintain his current bodyweight weight.

This give you maintenance cals. You are best to read the 12 week and the 13 week diet to access where you are.

Cherie

Old 07-03-2003, 02:09 PM
MEB should change his/her status!
Rookie

Ok, here is what I would suggest. Write down everything you eat for three days and plug it into fitday.com to see how many calories you are eating now. Find an average. Everyone is different because of our activities and metabolisms. I would then take that number which is probably your maintenance number and work from there. First by cleaning up your diet as far as ratios, PCF then if you want to by slowly lowering your calories.

M

Old 07-03-2003, 03:08 PM
MEB should change his/her status!
Rookie

I want to add something to my last post. When I did this I discovered that I was eating too few calories, only about 1800 a day. And though I did eat clean I was feeling so fatigued that sometimes I didnít have the energy for my workout. So I slowly raised my calories as suggested here, and I made sure I was getting 30 percent carbs, and no less because I would be really dragged out without them.

The reason I say this is because you have to really tailor your diet to fit your needs. I personally cannot go really low carb without suffering for it, although I do need to watch the carbs I do eat.

Also be sure to add your good fats. I noticed a big difference when I began using flax oil.
And listen to your body, it will tell you when you need to change something. Now I am really thinking of increasing my calories again just because I have more muscle to feed.

M

Old 07-03-2003, 06:00 PM
JV1311 should change his/her status!
Light-Heavyweight

MEB and Cherie gave great advice.

As for the sample diet:

#1 - 1/2 cup oats and 1 scoop whey or 5 egg whites, 2 tbps flax meal or 1 tbsp natural PB

#2 - 2 slices 100% whole wheat bread and 3oz chicken or 1/2 can tuna, 1/2 tbsp olive oil

#3 - 3oz chicken or 5oz fish, large salad or boiled veggies, 1 cup cooked brown rice or 1 small sweet potato

#4 - same as meal #2, or 3oz cottage cheese, 1 tbsp natural PB, and 1/2 cup oatmeal (I mix the first two and eat the oatmeal separately when I need a sweet fix)

#5 - 3oz chicken, 2 cups broccoli, 1/2 tbsp olive oil

#6 - 5 egg whites or 1/2 can tuna, 1/2 tbsp olive oil, large salad with vinegar
Old 07-03-2003, 06:20 PM
enderwigginout should change his/her status!
Heavyweight

Just experiment hon...do 2000 and see how it goes. [img]/forum/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

And cut out most of your cardio. [img]/forum/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 07-04-2003, 01:25 AM

Great advice everyone! [img]/forum/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

GymKitten, I would do as was suggested about plugging your foods into fitday. Do that for 3-5 days and let's see where you're at. Also use those 3 methods in that diet article and average the results. Then see how close your actual calories are to what you got using the methods. Depending on the answer, you will have to figure out where to go from there. You may need to increase your cals or possibly just make some changes in your macronutrient ratio and/or the types of foods you're eating. I always advise cutting of calories as a last resort as I believe there are so many other tricks you can use before you have to cut calories. Let us know what you find out and if you need any help from there. [img]/forum/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 07-04-2003, 03:35 AM

the problem with fitday is that as soon as I start using it, I start counting too hard and restricting myself to too little cals. I've been counting calories so long that even when I just guesstimate in my head I'm usually accurate to within 50cal and I seem to have a massive psychological block about eating 2000 "healthy" cals (I can eat 2000 cals of crap no problem).

I'm probably just a nutcase. This one will take time to work through as it's mainly all in my mind.

Thanks for your patience, guys. I'll do some fiddling round on fitday and try to come up with some good diet days that add up to 1900-2000 cals.
What p/c/f would you recommend? I am a pathological sugar addict and suffer badly if I drop the carbs too much- how about 30/50/20 p/c/f? 30/40/30?
Old 07-04-2003, 04:32 AM
PhysiqueMystique should change his/her status!
Rookie

You are I are similar - I feel depressed if I lower my carbs too low. I'd keep them at the higher end, but still focus on protein because it keeps me full longer and stops me snacking. I'd go the 30/40/30 split and follow the diet that JV recommended.
Old 07-04-2003, 08:19 AM
JV1311 should change his/her status!
Light-Heavyweight

I've been losing body fat staying between 33/33/33 and 35/30/35. I am a carbaholic too, but 30/40/30 was harder than 35/30/35. I think the extra fat makes all the difference.

Now, I tried 40/25/35 and that is too low carb, I was having serious cravings.

Just drop the carbs slowly. If you find out in Fitday that you are at 25/60/15, shoot for 25/55/20 for a week, then drop a little more.
Closed Thread